Fighting Fate πŸ—[Under Constr...

By ElannaMarie

**Second book of Fighting Blind** "Choose, Kei. Ryker or your kingdom?" I stared at the man before me stoical... More

Rights Reserved
Prologue
Chapter 1: Kei Valancia
Chapter 2: Leon Grayson
Chapter 3: Ryker Dare
Chapter 4: Kei Valancia
Chapter 5: Ryker Dare
Chapter 6: Kei Valancia
Chapter 7: Leon Grayson
Chapter 8: Ryker Dare
Chapter 9: Kei Valancia
Chapter 11: Kei Valancia
Chapter 12: Kei Valancia
Chapter 13: Kei Valancia
Chapter 14: Ryker Dare
Chapter 15: Kei Valancia
Chapter 16: Kei Valancia
Chapter 17: Titus Alaric
Chapter 18: Ryker Dare
Chapter 19: Kei Valancia
Chapter 20: Ryker Dare
Chapter 21: Kei Valancia
Chapter 22: Ryker Dare
Chapter 23: Kei Valancia
Chapter 24: Kei Valancia
Chapter 25: Kei Valancia
Chapter 26: Leon Grayson

Chapter 10: Ryker Dare

41K 1.8K 610
By ElannaMarie

"I want your first time to be special," - Ryker Dare

~~~~~~~~~~

Life with Kei wouldn't be interesting if the King hadn't demanded to see his one and only grandchild. But still, it would be fantastic to just do nothing.

I sighed and leaned my elbows on my desk, rubbing my temples.

After his declaration, Titus left shortly after, leaving Kei and I by ourselves but that didn't last long either. Not even a minute had passed before she got a distant look in her eyes after staring at me, and then standing abruptly after mumbling something I couldn't quite decipher before scurrying out of the room.

I was going to follow her but she quickly stopped me with one stern 'stay' through the mind link. Which brought me to the present situation.

"Kei, what are you doing?"

"Just stay." I chuckled at her response.

"Am I a dog now?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?" she asked dubiously.

"Touché. Just make sure to have Clark accompany you to whatever you are doing."

"He's already here, so no need to worry your cute little butt."

"Good, and I have a masculine butt, not cute," I said in a growly tone.

"Whatever lets you sleep at night." She cackled and the link between us ended, leaving me alone in my office and a chuckle on my lips.

"Thank goddess she came back." I could hear the content in Axel's voice, and I agreed.

However, the momentary peace ended as I sighed and stared at the paperwork piled neatly on my desk, a headache forming by just staring at them. Pinching the space between my eyes, I sighed before deciding to get some work done before Kei came back.

Most of the boring documents consisted of money, and all the income that was coming and going. I hadn't yet got the chance to tell Kei how she will soon own two successful casinos in Las Vegas, numerous high-class hotels all over the United States, and even some across seas. But that's not even including all of the little businesses that are connected to us. Which left plenty of money to take care of my pack and keep Kei happy and cared for.

The quiet whisper of paper shuffling was the only thing heard in the office, satisfied to see that nothing had changed much since the last time that I got a look.

Everything was booming and successful, leaving me feeling self-satisfied and a smidgen smug of my affluence. Maybe because I am a man, it filled my ego to the brim to know the wealth that I had.

Signing off the rest of the paperwork, I put it off to the side and began to rifle through the next stack.

This, however, was much more time consuming and I dreaded to even take a peek but I knew it was important.

These documents were problems that were ongoing in the supernatural world that were addressed to me. Usually, there were only a few asking permission to meet and discuss pack matters for a treaty or other things pack related. But now, they were mostly all about the rouge attacks that have been going on.

Not only did I have papers, but from the looks of my email, my inbox was full of the same problem.

"Why do I feel like Leon Grayson is behind this?" Axel muttered.

"It just smells of him," I retorted. As I rested my head on my clasped hands, I caught sight of a cream envelope with a silver seal almost completely hidden in the scattered paper. I felt my muscles stiffen as I saw the light glint off of the silvery wax, the color so similar to that of Kei's hair.

Now that I think about it, that man Titus also had silver hair. Was it a trait among the fae?

Yes, I may know a lot about their customs and laws but I've only seen maybe two others in my whole existence and that was a very, very long time ago. They are a species that does not dwell too much in our world and instead stays away, but that does not mean they are total recluses. They do go out into the human world and are actually very involved. Some I've heard are famous celebrities living among them.

I reached out and picked it up, the contents light. I flipped it over to see nothing other than my name written on the front with a flowing calligraphy. Flipping it back over, I took a moment to study the seal more closely. It showcased a pair of delicate wings, fanning across the seal with intricate patterns.

From what I have studied, fae is a different species than that of the fairy but they do have some similar qualities. Yet, the fae have what is called the six Gifts while the fairy kind did not possess such abilities other than the fact that they had the most brilliant wings. Rumors have it that they used to be as delicate as a butterfly's wing but was as strong as a bird.

Of course, they are only rumors now. Long before I was even born, the whole species went missing. Not even the most powerful of the fae or witches could locate them and so they had simply vanished.

The fae and the fairy had strong connections and the two species had coexisted with each other peacefully for many centuries before they had just disappeared. Even today, no clues have been revealed since that time.

And so due to their disappearance, the fae had put the symbol of their wings as their insignia to honor and remember them. Yet, something about the whole thing has always bothered me but I never had the time to really dwell on the subject. Until now.

Gingerly, I peeled the wax from the envelope carefully to release the information inside. Once opened, I gripped the paper inside and pulled it out. Unfolding it, delicate thin handwriting stared back at me with a glare.

________

If you have received this, then I can only assume the meeting with Titus did not go well. My deepest apologies to you, Alpha King. Yet my own selfish desires along with all of my people burden my mind like a heavy sorrow. It is my conclusion that I do not have long to live and I do not have an heir to take my place. If I could, I would choose a random stranger from the street then burden my precious granddaughter to the likes of this life, but I can not do this for it is not only me in this situation.

I have thousands of my people looking up to me to make the right decision; to trust that I do not let them go to ruin. So, I can not be selfish. I must bear the pain and so must my family even though it pains me more than this sickness does. Even my jewel, my daughter Laelia, knew this and that is why she left for some time, found love and made a family of her own that made her happy before the time came to be subjected to this.

Alpha Ryker Dare, it pains me to do this but I demand to see my granddaughter, Kei Lillian Valancia, and be brought here to my palace here in Apsara.

- Sylvan A.S.

These words swam across my vision until my eyes hurt.

The city of Apsara, where the fae king resides. The word Apsara is actually found in Hindu religion and the word itself is translated to 'celestial dancers' in Sanskrit. Or also called nymphs to which I think the fairy's may have something to do with it. Fairy's did love to dance from what I've heard, and they were good at it. A stray human may have seen a few prancing around and to which got the urge to start a whole godlike religion to it.

I say, let the humans do whatever they want.

What it really means is Queen. Pretty predictable if you ask me, but they are a race that values their women.

Now to the problem at hand, I came up empty to find the solution.

Tossing the paper away from me, I stood up abruptly and started pacing.

I can't say no and if I did, that would practically be a call for war. The werewolves have power over the fae with numbers, but they have power over us.

Even I would not stand a chance against the fae King if it was one-on-one. Maybe not even in his current state to which sounds dire. That's how powerful they are.

Growling, I felt my frustration start to make my thoughts even more jumbled and I knew I had to calm down to think more clearly. While doing this, I was too busy to hear the door open and sense the presence, that is until I felt her right behind me.

"Hey, what have you been doing since I've been gone? You look like you're ready to rip someone's head off." Kei came in front of me to cup my cheek, worry sparkling in her beautiful mismatched eyes. I felt myself instantly calm by her touch, closing my eyes and inhaling deeply.

Reaching up with my eyes still closed, I gripped her slender hand in mine, entwining our fingers. I brought it down to my lips and kissed her fingers tenderly before finally opening my eyes. She looked at me with open wonder and love.

"Well, that was sweet," she said while smiling, bringing her other hand to poke my cheek. I chuckled and brought her closer until there was no more space between us.

"I do have a sweet side you know." I nuzzled her hair.

"Hmm. I would have to agree but it's also your cute side too," I leaned back and frowned playfully.

"I do not look cute. I thought we went over this," she laughed at my expression.

"You're cute. You may try to deny it but I can see it." She pinched my cheek in emphasis. I pretended to glare at her but I couldn't help but smile.

"I'll be whatever you want me to be," I told her and she smiled up at me sweetly.

"Just stay you, King. That's who I fell in love with after all. Even the possessive, bossy side." She got on her tippy toes and kissed my cheek before pulling away and grabbing my hand. "Now come on, I think a good old movie night is in order."

I raised an eyebrow at her as she began pulling me along. I managed to shut off all the lights and locked the door behind me before she pulled me away.

"A movie night?" I inquired.

"Yep. And I'll even let you have the first pick." She led me down the halls until she pushed open a door leading to one of the many entertainment rooms. There, I was faced with a movie-fanatics dream.

Thick blankets and pillows covered the L-shaped leather couch, freshly popped popcorn and assorted snacks laid neatly on the table in front of the eighty inch TV hanging on the wall over the entertainment center.

The room was dimly lit, and Kei walked in with a purpose. She sat in the middle of the piles of comforters before she turned to me and motioned me over.

"Come on, pick a movie." I just stared at her for a long moment, causing her to tilt her head at me. "Unless you want me to. But I should warn you, this is going to be my very first movie I'll actually be watching so it may take me some time to pick one." I shook my head to clear the surprise and I walked over, taking my shoes off before sitting beside her.

"You can pick," I smiled at her. "I want your first time to be special." I noticed her cheeks tint pink at my words and I shot her a questioning look.

"Okay," she got up and began rifling through the movies in the cabinets. As she was doing this, I made myself comfortable and leaned back against the cushions. Just as I waited for her to pick, did it then occur to me what my words sounded like.

You sure have a way with words, Axel scoffed at me. I rolled my eyes and put my feet up on the couch.

"Uh, Ryker?" My attention focused on Kei who was looking at me with embarrassment.

"What's wrong?" I wasted no time standing and walked over to her. She scratched the back of her head and looked as if she was fighting with herself. Another moment passed before she growled lowly before staring straight at me with resolution in her eyes. She lifts up a DVD and points at it.

"I don't know how to pronounce it." I read the title and couldn't but feel humor. Not at her for not being able to pronounce it, but at the movie that she picked.

Deadpool's face took up the whole front and I had a feeling that she would love this.

"It's called Deadpool. I think you'll love it." She handed it to me so I could put it in while she went and got comfortable on the couch. After everything was set up, I shut off the lights and went back and sat beside her. She cuddled next to me, resting her head on my chest and I grabbed her hand, lacing our fingers together. With the other hand, I had the remote and hit play.

"You know, I can read and write Braille," she confessed after a moment. I looked at her in surprise even though I shouldn't have been.

"Really." She nodded

"An older woman who had a blind son taught me while I was staying at a pack. She taught me the ABC's and so I know how to spell words, but only in Braille. The same goes for pronunciation. And now that I can see, I have no clue." She chuckled darkly. "To be honest, I kind of feel like a small child all over again." I hugged her closer and wrapped my arm around her shoulders.

"Don't worry, I can teach you whatever you need." She pulled away slightly to look up at me.

"But you're busy with everything else. Actually, I almost didn't go through with this little plan because I thought you had too much on your plate." I shook my head and kissed her forehead.

"Lune, you don't have to be afraid to ask me to do anything. Good chances are, I'll drop everything to come to your side. Especially during a meeting. Goddess, I would rather be in the same room as Thomas." I fake shuddered which made her laugh.

"Must be bad if you would rather spend time with the Potato Man," she said. "But I also feel that they're pretty important."

"Not as important as you," I tell her seriously. She smiled happily and shook her head.

"You're too much sometimes," she said finally before laying her head back down on my chest.

"But you love me," I teased. She hugged my side and nodded.

"I do," she murmured softly and we enjoyed our time watching Ryan Reynolds save the girl he loves with his crude humor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7M 153K 56
Book 2 of The Alpha Series - Sequel to my first book, The Hybrid. Kaden's Luna cannot be read as a stand alone book! Kaden Reid is known as a rogue w...
1.4K 96 39
"I would know it in any world, any life, any form, anywhere in time and space. I would die for these lavender eyes to glitter with warmth - anytime...
107K 3.7K 47
"Oh, so you're part of this kidnapping posse too? I am not a possession! I have a life that I was abruptly plucked out of without my input all becaus...
7.4K 780 66
Ryan King is an Alpha desperately trying to hold his pack together. Between the blood thirsty enemy packs wanting to take what's his, a council that...