A Quarter Mile Away

By Claireaabell

Ranked #01 for Teen Fiction X4 *A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY!* WHS Story of the Month Winner: Teen Fiction The Fi... More

Coming soon!
Must read before you begin the story
A Quarter Mile Away - Soundtrack
Spotify?? Updated
Reviews
Prologue
1 - Because Of You
2 - Love Runs Out
3 - One Step At A Time
4 - Domino
5 - Photograph
6 - We Don't Have To Dance
7 - Unwritten
8 - Roads Untraveled
9 - The Sun Is Rising
10 - Firestarter
11 - Hymn For The Weekend
12 - Counting Stars
13 - Company
14 - Give Me Love
15 - The Heart Wants What It Wants
16 - Me And My Broken Heart
17 - Umbrella
18 - Jealous
19 - Cool Kids
Curiosity killed the cat - Updated
20 - That's My Girl
21 - Rockabye
22 - Crazy
23 - Treat You Better
Woohoo!!
24 - Turn Around
25 - This Is What You Came For
26 - Tunnel Vision
Holy Shiznit!!!
27 - Family Portrait
28 - Let Me Love You
30 - Left Outside Alone
31 - Confident
32 - Talking To The Moon
33 - No Air
34 - Dont Be So Hard On Yourself
35 - Love The Way You Lie - Part 1
36 - Love The Way You Lie - Part 2
37 - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
38 - Do You Remember
Epilogue
What now?
Bonus Chapter
Bonus Chapter 2.0
Issues with chapters?
Full Speed Ahead
Im back!!!

29 - Untouched

189K 8.5K 1.4K
By Claireaabell

A/N: Sorry I'm late my lovelies. I've just had surgery on Wednesday and didn't get to post on time like I normally do.

* * *

Please listen to Untouched - The Veronica's for this chapter

* * *

It was safe to say that I've seen a lot for an eighteen year old which is why I'm the way I am, I'm strong and determined in life. I'm not one to get scared of much considering what I've grown up with in the last eight years, but it was safe to say that the only thing that scares me right now, is Noah. He comes from a wealthy family which means he has resources to find whoever he wants to find. At this point in time, I knew for a fact that it was time to leave, I had to keep moving. I had to stay one step ahead.

After that phone call, I tried to mask the fear, didn't seem to work because of Jaxon's interrogation. Of course, I just told him basic information, I had no reason to tell him about Noah's threat, so I just told him that I was just tired of all the drama. To my surprise, he accepted this reason and continued to drive back to his house. I knew he accepted it to avoid an argument that would most likely occur between the two of us.

Once we arrived at his house, I knew that was a queue for me to grab our things and leave, which is what I did after promising Lisa I'd return her clothes to her. Jaxon on the other hand just stood at the doorway and kept an eye on me as we got in the car. I could see the hurt in his eyes, we both knew I was lying about what happened at the cemetery but I was too much of a coward to tell him or let him in.

It was easier for me to push people away instead of letting them in and getting hurt further.

Come Monday morning the atmosphere between us hadn't changed, it was also probably due to the fact that I was indeed avoiding him, or maybe he was avoiding me? I walked the crowded hallway towards my English class. I was not looking forward to facing Jaxon and his accusatory eyes. As I sat down, I noticed that I was one of the few who had arrived, half the class was still empty which was unusual. As soon as that thought crossed my mind, there he walked in. Eyeing everyone out until he spotted me, slowly but surely he crossed the room until he came to stand next to me, as if asking permission to sit next to me instead of in front. I nodded in encouragement before he slowly sat down. I needed to apologise, I knew I was at fault. I was acting like a child.

"I'm sorry" I whispered

"It's ok" he replied back. Much to my surprise. I looked at him in shock, I was expecting him to be angry for the way I behaved. He turned slightly in his chair to face me, "You don't trust me and I get it. I'm sorry if I pushed too hard."

He was blaming himself when he didn't push at all. This was all my doing, I shook my head in denial and was about to tell him that he had nothing to be sorry for but we were interrupted by the school bell, followed by Mr. Reid.

"Good morning!" Mr. Reid greets us with a little too much excitement. I was not in the right headspace for class but I had to focus. Thankfully class went without a hitch, except the part where he reminded us that our diary entries were due in two weeks, the last week of school before our first term break. I needed to get started on it but I was dreading it, I have been purposely delaying the inevitable.

I didn't get to speak to Jaxon after that. When the bell had rung, he grabbed his things and left before I could say a word. I let out a sad sigh as I made my way towards business class. I sat down next to a gleeful Nikki as she was smiling at her phone. When she saw me she clicked her phone off and waited for me to sit down.

Before I even got to sit down she started her ramble, "Omg Avery! Isaac is amazing! Thank you so much! He's so hot too! Such a good kisser!"

"TMI Nikki" I said with a chuckle as she blushed at my words.

"Sorry, but he is!" She justified. I could sense that there was something else, you could see it in her eyes.

"But?" I encouraged.

Her shoulders slumped a little before giving in, "He's just so secretive, I love a mysterious man like any other girl but I can't read him at all!"

Isaac was very similar to me, even though he had a financially stable life, he too had a lot of demons in his closet, had a lot of baggage, baggage that was not mine to open to the world. This was something he would have to be willing to do, she needed to know that.

"Give him time Nikki" was all I could say as she nodded in agreement.

She opened her mouth to say something but stopped to look at the door, as I turned to see what captured her attention, in walked Jaxon, not even looking in my direction as he headed straight to his seat. Being ignored by him hurt, my heart thumped at the thought of that.

'I deserved that I guess'

"Dare I ask how things are between the two of you?" She whispered.

I looked at her defeatedly before shaking my head left to right, "Whatever there was, it's gone."

* * *

After being completely ignored by Jaxon the entire day, it was now home time and I was starting to get annoyed with him. He wasn't giving me a chance to talk to him, to explain myself. Yeah I get it, I deserved this treatment but shouldn't I receive the treatment after I've explained myself? That way it's somewhat justified on his behalf?

A tap on my shoulder pulled me out of my thoughts, unaware that I had completely zoned out in front of my open locker. I turned around and to my surprise, there stood Brittany with her arms folded across her chest. Her stance alone was enough to confirm that she was not here to share fashion secrets. I let out a sigh as I waited patiently, I knew exactly what this was about.

"Can I help you?" I asked, my tone a little more annoyed than I anticipated

"Yeah you can. You can leave Jaxon alone, he belongs with me" she said in a clipped tone, anger evident in her voice.

I stood there staring at her in disbelief, how can someone be bothered to go through all of this to claim someone who clearly didn't want to be claimed? She was being a typical girl who was hung up on the one guy she couldn't have.

I let out a snicker, much to her shock as I slammed my locker shut, "What are you laughing at?!"

"You. You're being such a fucking cliché Brittany, it's really sad" I said as I began to walk away. I stopped in my track before turning around to add on "He clearly doesn't want you, so move on and no I will not leave him alone."

She growled through her teeth in anger as she stormed past me, nudging my shoulder on her way. As she walked away, she whispered in anger, "You're going to regret this Avery"

I watched her walk away as I balanced myself, my head followed her movement until I saw Jaxon standing there watching the whole altercation take place. We both stood there, looking into each other's eyes, we both waited for the other to make some kind of movement. I knew it was up to me so I took a step forward and walked towards him until I stood in front of him.

"Can we start over?" I pleaded. He looked deep into my eyes as he thought about my question. I swallowed the lump in my throat, scared of the rejection that I knew was coming. That was until he gave me his million dollar smile before wrapping his arms around my waist and sealed my doubts with a soft kiss on the lips. We broke away when we heard a wolf whistle, I giggled out of embarrassment because I couldn't believe we just did that in the hallway. 

He grabbed my hand and together we walked towards the exit. We walked quietly, hand in hand, not saying anything. I knew that even though whatever we were, we were back on, I still needed to open up to him. We sat on the curb as we waited for our siblings to come out.

"I do trust you, you know" I softly whispered

"You have a funny way of showing it" he responded. I bit inner cheek as I internally debated on how I was going to start this conversation. I let out a sigh and turned to face him. I grabbed a hold of his hand and held it in my lap.

"You need to be patient with me. I'm trying Jaxon. I'm trying to open up to you." I pleaded

He looked between my hand and my eyes before responding "What happened at the cemetery?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat before continuing "Noah is a really jealous person, he heard you in the background and is not happy. He's delusional and thinks I'm cheating on him even though we broke up a long time ago"

Ok so I know I didn't tell him the complete truth but I didn't lie either. I was taking baby steps, he can't expect me to completely hand over my entire diary and say 'This is my life for the last 10 years, read it.'

He nodded his head in agreement as he took in my words, "You need to tell me if you're in trouble with him" I looked up into his eyes as I thought about his words, before shaking my head left to right, "I'm not in trouble" I tried to justify.

"And what happened with you and Brittany just now?" He asked as he clenched his jaw.

"She's just a little hung up on you" I justified. There was no point in upsetting him over her empty threat. He nodded his head as he placed an arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to kiss me softly on my lips.

"Ewwwww"

We pulled away to see both Jonathan standing there with his nose creased in disgust and Alena with her hands over her eyes in shock. I rolled my eyes at how dramatic these two were being as Jaxon chuckled. We made our way back towards our cars, Jaxon wanted to walk us back to make sure we were safe.

"Drew is having a little get together at his house on Friday and told me to invite you"

"It worries me that he's friend with people who are a year younger than him" I mocked, he let out a chuckle before defending Drew, "Nah, he's a good kid. We became friends when he used to come to this school"

I nudged his shoulder playfully before justifying myself, "I know he's a good kid. Count me in"

His eyes twinkled as he gave me his boyish smile, "Perfect, I'll pick you up at 6" he said as he began to walk away. He stopped to turn around and added "Oh, don't worry about Alena, she'll be with my mom and Jonathan."

I smiled at him before nodding in understanding. He clearly thought of everything so I wasn't going to turn his offer down. I'd also be lying if I didn't say that I was curious about where Drew lived.

* * *

A/N: I understand commenting can be hard but please at least vote for the chapter. It's really quick and easy to do and it shows that you're enjoying the story xx

Next Chapter: Pizza night at Drew's house. Should be fun right?

If anyone likes to create banners or Book covers, PM me! I'd love to see what you could create for A Quarter Mile Away!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.8K 927 47
This story sucks, don't read it! It's amazing how quickly your life can change. In a slow town like this, where nothing exciting ever happens, wher...
998 52 28
"If I told you my secrets, you would never look at me the same." His fingertips graze my jaw, travelling up behind my ear and into my hair. I let out...
43.2K 1.3K 11
Chase is a fucking bastard - Ainsley is a biker bitch extrordinaire. I'm Giving Up! I'm Done! I'm sick of waiting for the only man I've ever wanted...
112K 3.5K 35
Avery wrapped an arm around my waist to catch me before I could get out the door. He pushed me up against the door, trapping me between his body and...