Childhood Sweethearts

By LaurenJ22

#1 Teen Fiction | #1 Young Adult | #1 Romance "We all need someone to drive us mad." - The Wombats. He star... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Dear Carter
Dear Aiden
Dear Mercedes
Epilogue
ONE-SHOTS?
Destined From The Start (One-Shot)
Childhood Sweethearts: Video Animation
Episode One
Episode Two
Episode Three
Episode Four
Episode Five
Episode Six
Episode Seven
Episode Eight (finale of season one)

Chapter Twenty Seven (Final Chapter)

96.4K 3K 664
By LaurenJ22

-----------------------

Dedication: Mythical_Mermaid for the cover!

Recap:

I laughed, wrapping an arm lazily around her shoulders. "You bet, mum."

If only I could pack my family up with me, too.

"You started?" I looked up at mum, to see her staring at the three pieces of paper, neatly spread across my desk.

"I've tried."

"I'm sure the words will come to you. You just need to write what you feel." With that, she slowly stood. I think she wanted to leave before we both burst into tears.

I watched her walk from my room. Slowly, I maneuvered myself to my desk. With a sigh, I picked up the cold pen.

Dear Carter...

--------------------------

In the midst of all my excitement, I almost forgot how sad leaving was going to be. Let's just say, it had been one emotional morning for my family. My father's hug almost broke my ribs and mum hadn't stopped crying for the last two hours. Both of us had been a sobbing mess, so dad had to drive.

Anna was sprawled out on the back seat, completely nonchalant. It looked as if she was just on the way to school, not on her way to leave the country for a year. Although I actually don't know much of the details, I know that her and her mum don't have the best relationship. Regardless, I thought there would at least be some reaction out of her. I frowned at her, hoping she was alright. Wouldn't want her to be having second thoughts now, of all times. 

For some reason, I had wanted to leave Carter's letter to last. I guess it was because it was the most important. Which meant we had to do a loop, but I don't think my parents really cared.

I glanced at Anna, hoping for a supportive smile but she just gazed emotionlessly out the window. I looked at mum who gave me an encouraging smile. That was all I needed. With wobbly legs, I slid out of the car. My hands were trembling as I placed the sealed envelope into Carter's mail box.

Panicking for a second that he might look out his window and see me, I made a dash back to the car. My heart was racing. This was it. I wasn't going to see him for at least a year. That was a long time. Dad pulled smoothly out from the driveway and I stared back at his mansion, biting my lip.

I suddenly wondered if writing a letter was a good idea after all.

Most of the trip was silent to the airport. I think we were all a bit nervous. I was playing with a loose thread in my shorts, to the point I ripped some of the material. With a sigh, I pressed my forehead against the cool glass. 

I'd only been outside Australia once. I went to New Zealand with Carter's family. We went snow skiing. It had been pretty awesome, but that was years ago now. I felt very new to this. Anna would be there, but it still felt weird not to be travelling with someone more adult-like. I suddenly felt very amateur, like I wasn't ready for this kind of adventure. All the confidence and excitement I had felt for the past three months, suddenly warped into a sick feeling of nausea. 

The car came to a stop and I snapped my head up, having been so deep in my thoughts, I hadn't realised we'd actually reached the airport. This only made me feeling one hundred times worse. 

Dad hauled our suitcases out of the car and they landed with a heavy thud on the pavement. 

"Alright, see ya," dad said with a wave, hopping back in the car. My eyes boggled from my head. He began laughing, re-emerging from the car. "Joking, Lace."

I slapped him lightly on the shoulder. That did not help my sudden tidal wave of anxiety.

"You'll give the poor girl a heart attack," mum murmured.

I peered over my shoulder nervously at the sliding doors, that had people walking through, dragging their luggage behind them.

"You're going to be okay, Kid." Dad said to me, patting my shoulder a little too roughly.

I gave him a wan smile in return.

As a group, we began our short journey into the terminal. Mum completely transformed into business mode and basically got as organised with everything. Thank God, because my whole body was trembling and my mind was running a million kilometres per second. I could hardly walk straight, let alone think straight, too. 

The next hour was a complete blur. I think I somehow entered a trance. I followed mum's orders as she acted like she actually worked for the air port. We then got to the part where my parents couldn't come with us.

My stomach did a flip. "What if I-"

"Shh," mum hushed me, wrapping her arms securely around me. "You will be fine. You're so strong, Lacey. You're going to have a great time."

She kissed my cheek. I glanced at dad who gave me a lope-sided smile. "Go get em', Kid."

I was so not ready for this. What had I been thinking!?

With one final hug, tears began pouring down my face. They turned to hug Anna, and finally, I saw a crack through her nonchalant facade. It was good to see her come back. Her eyes were teary as she hugged my mum. I wonder if she was wishing that was her mum instead.

It was time to go.

With one last wave, I followed Anna's flaming red hair towards the final waiting room. 

This was it, no going back now.

***

Carter's P.O.V:

Once again, I woke to complete silence. This was common for me, considering my parents were hardly home and I never had any friends over much anymore. Or girls, for that matter.

With a groan, I rolled out of bed. I wasn't particularly motivated to go straight to study today. So, I decided to make myself a coffee. I scrolled through facebook, taking tentative sips. I had been trying to go out more and actually do something other than study, these last couple of months, but I still felt like I wasn't achieving much. 

I turned the water to scolding hot and stepped under it, the steam filling the room. I inhaled a lungful, running the water through my hair. 

I missed Lacey. I wish things hadn't gotten so screwed up with us. It was lonely in the big house with just my own company. But hers is the only one I want. At the slowest rate possible, I toweled off and stepped into some jeans. 

Mum had left me a post-it note, asking me to do some jobs. I sighed. At least it would give me a reason to procrastinate my study some more.

I loved learning, don't get me wrong, but I could not stand being stuck inside all day. I'd rather go do something fun, but I guess this is just life. 

After doing some basic chores, I pulled the bin bag out, scrunching up my nose. Didn't we have a house cleaner for this? With a disgruntled mutter under my breath, I stomped out to the bins outside. I glanced at Lacey's house. It looked like there wasn't anyone home. She'd been pretty busy, from what I've creepily observed. I glanced at the mail box, seeing the little red flag in the air. With another unnecessary sigh, I wandered towards it.

The envelope felt cold in my hands. I quirked an eyebrow. It was hand written and addressed to me. That was odd. I was half expecting excessive junk mail about who to vote for in the next election, not something personally written to me. I hardly ever got mail, unless it was my phone bill. 

I stretched as I began the short trek back to my house. I poured myself a glass of coke. I sat down and stared at the writing. It had a familiar slant to it. Curiously, I opened it.

Dear Carter...

It happened so fast. My body was reacting faster than my mind was. I tugged on a shirt, the first I saw and ran to the door. I tripped, attempting to get my shoes on. No time for socks. I ran to the car and punched it, having forgotten my keys. This couldn't be happening. She can't leave. I rushed back inside, basically turning everything upside down until I found them.

My heart was slamming inside my chest from the rush of adrenaline. I broke countless speed regulations as I floored it to the airport. 

A letter? After everything we've been through, she wrote me a God damn letter? I guess I deserved as much, but it still hurt. She knew I would have asked her to stay. I was that selfish.

Maybe she will have second thoughts and back out of everything?

One can only hope.

I felt like I was in a movie. I'd never imagined I would be chasing Lacey. Begging her to stay with me. If all else fails, I'll at least see her one last time to say goodbye.

I needed to see her. I needed to feel her lips against mine.

I left my car unlocked and I think my door might have still even been open. I sprinted, as fast as I humanly was able to. I pushed past people and ignored their curious stares. Some people followed me, probably waiting for the dramatic, movie-like-moment to happen.

After running around in circles, I finally decided to ask someone for help.

"Umm, hi, err, I need, oh God," I said breathlessly. A wave of frustration rolled through me. I didn't even know what flight she was on. I realised I hardly knew anything. Didn't know the time, the terminal, nothing.

"Calm down," the woman said sternly. "What do you need?"

"My girl- I need to, ugh, I don't even know the flight number or anything!"

"Please slow down," the woman insisted, looking irritated. "I can't help you if you don't tell me what's wrong."

"Has the flight the Hawaii left?" My chest was heaving. I stared at her, waiting. She couldn't be gone. Not when I was this close.

Considering our airport wasn't as large as a city one, there would only be one flight to Hawaii. 

She slid back on her swivel chair and pushed her glasses further up her nose. Was she deliberately slow walking me? I wanted to slam my fist onto the desk, but that wouldn't help the situation. I fidgeted nervously, practically ticking.

She turned to me, her gaze hard and unsympathetic.

"It's gone."

I staggered back, feeling defeated. I felt my body shut down. I was too late. I clutched at my chest. What the hell was I going to do? I felt like I was physically in pain. I bent over, clutching at my sides.

I couldn't believe it.

I was too late.

******************** The End ********************

---------------

Dun dun dunnnnnnn.

Don't stress, there will be an epilogue!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1M 40.8K 34
You're going to pay for that." I whispered to her, making sure to graze my mouth across the spot that makes her breath hitch. When I saw her remain u...
3.2M 78.9K 59
She looks up at me, taking a step forward and smiling slightly, "How can I ever get hurt when I have you here to protect me?" "But you could have got...
238K 4.6K 47
"I love you" she says and kisses my jaw tenderly. "I love you too baby" I reply stroking her still damp hair. We were sat in a dirty McDonald's car p...
392K 7.4K 44
***Completed*** *Mature Content Warning* TW: Car accident, Depression, sexual content His touch made me shiver as I couldn't take my eyes off of his...