His Camelia [Completed]

By shaerzam

⭐️Romance Hot List: highest rank #20⭐️ She is shy. He is brave. She hides in the shadows. He lives in the... More

Prologue
Chapter 1-Birthday Princess
Chapter 2-Ten Years Later
Chapter 4- Lady In Red
Chapter 5- Sold
Chapter 6-Crystal Ball
Chapter 7-Watching & Learning
Chapter 8-The Target
Chapter 9- Kent
Chapter 10-Superman
Chapter 11- Stefan
Chapter 12- She Remembered
Chapter 13-Home Alone
Chapter 14- Little One
Chapter 15- Her Knight
Chapter 16- His Angel
Chapter 17-He Remembers
Chapter 18- His Achilles Heel
Chapter 19-Martinis
Chapter 20-Sexual Tension
Chapter 21- Mr. Steel
Chapter 22- Man Of Steel
Chapter 23-Risks
Chapater 24- The Eyes Never Lie
Chapter 25- Taken
Chapter 26- His Camelia
Chapter 27- The Lie (Part 1)
Chapter 28- The Lie (Part 2)
Chapter 29-Cold & Numb
Chapter 30- A Good Girl Gone Bad
Chapter 31-Red Rose
Chapter 32-Envy
Chapter 33-Bachelorette Party
Chapter 34- Stefan Steel
Chapter 35- The Betrayal (Part 1)
Chapter 36- The Betrayal (Part 2)
Chapter 37-Love
Chapter 38- Beauty And The Beast
Chapter 39-The Getaway
Chapter 40- Mia
Chapter 41- The Cell
Chapter 42- Revenge
Chapter 43- Checkmate
Chapter 44- The Marketplace
Chapter 45-The Sultan
Chapter 46-His Wife
Chapter 47- His Everything
Chapter 48- Tale As Old As Time (Part 1)
Chapter 49- Tale As Old As Time (Part 2)
Chapter 50-Star Crossed Lovers
Epilogue
Extra Outtakes-Mia
His Yasmina-NOW COMPLETED

Chapter 3- The Masquerade

98.9K 3.8K 155
By shaerzam

8 months later...August

Stefan punched his security code, placed his thumb on the pad, and waited patiently for the scanner to recognize his print. The doors automatically slid open, revealing his luxury penthouse apartment.

It was a recent purchase that he came across in the past year.  It was too unbearable for him to be alone in his grandfathers precious estate in Calabasas, California. 

The two-thousand square foot space offered him a terrific view of the city and it was well situated in downtown L.A. Where he would not have to worry about the long drive into town and the insufferable traffic in the mornings and nights.  

It was not a bachelor pad as most would assume.  It had a family vibe to it with luxury furnishings, polished floors, three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a spacious chefs kitchen, dining room, large den and a great room large enough for entertaining.

The balcony was Stefan's favorite. 

It was spacious, offered a great view of the busy hustle and bustle of downtown L.A.  The best part was the sun, there was no shadows, it was open and welcoming whenever he needed to relax and sit back.  It was nicely decorated with a outdoor furniture, jacuzzi, and large built-in grill.

Stefan deposits his hat, keys, and sunglasses on a nearby table. Racking a hand through his hair and exhaling loudly, he quirked his neck from left to right to relive some knots.   After hearing the pops he extended his arms up,  and stretched his back. 

He walked toward his kitchen and grabbed a water bottle from the fridge.  Noticing a red flash coming from the house phone he taps play.

"You have two new messages," the voice recorder said out loud.  Stefan bent over the kitchen counter and leaned on his elbows while listening.

First message:
"Hey Stef. It's me Nicole from last week.  I wanted to touch base with you and see if you wanted to get together this weekend?  I haven't heard back from you and I remember we really had a great date!  So....um let me know, I'd love to see you again!  Ok bye!"

Stefan raises his eyebrows and shakes his head in disappointment.  "Correction.  You had a great time.  I, on the other hand didn't.  No thank you. Next."  Replying back to his answering machine.

Second message:
"Hello Stefan, this is Jenny.  I hope I called the right number, well anyway...are you free tomorrow?  I'd like to see you again!  I really like you and I hope you feel the same way.  Call me!"

Stefan shook his head in disgust and took a deep calming breath.

"Well that was not attractive at all..."

"End of new messages. To erase, press 1." The answering machine voiced.

Stefan pressed one twice and erased both messages, adjusting his posture and shaking his head again. Talk about desperate.

"Have a little class ladies..." He mutters under his breath.

It doesn't matter how many times he makes the same mistake and ends up giving his number away.  Luckily he was smart enough not to give them his personal cell number.  These girls need some relationship advice.  The ones that throw themselves out there are the most unattractive ones. 

He liked the hard to get type. 

The small number of females he's gone out with recently were too clingy, typical and too eager for his taste. They were just empty distractions to his boring and lonely life with no characteristics he cared for. Many of them he met during company functions or a night out at a upscale club he and his buddies visited. And so far none of them held his interest.

His grandad always wanted him to settle down and find a woman that was his match in every way. It was a difficult accomplishment when he kept meeting the wrong ones. All they were interested in was his money and status–spoiled brats that used him for exposure.

He had yet to meet a real woman...

He appreciated a lady with high standards and higher morals.  A attractive woman was one who had a independent streak that didn't need him for everything. Someone who didn't try hard to catch his attention like all the others he's been around. He wanted someone who he fell in love with the man on the inside and not the man on the outside who was incredibly wealthy. 

Being one of the most sought after eligible bachelors in California made it even harder. His face was plastered on several magazines covers and all over the news. Women throw themselves at him left and right. Who was out for his money and who wanted him for himself?

"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free..." It was a saying one of his close friends, a SEAL like himself always said. It made Stefan chuckle lightly.  It was not something he practiced like most typical men did. 

Secretly he hated all the attention. He was no Casanova. Wooing women with his good looks and smooth talking his way into their beds was not the way he operated. His grandad always taught him to be as professional as possible and never mix business with pleasure. Hell, he never had anytime for anything other than running the businesses he inherited. But nonetheless he tried to make time with the opposite sex but anytime he tried he immediately regrets it.

For the last eight months, Stefan had been busy learning the ropes of his inherited billion dollar oil company.  As it was written in his will, Stefan senior left all his assets to Stefan–the money, the homes, the companies—everything.  Since then he had no time for a real life automatically putting that on hold. 

Stefan's phone dings. 

He pulls it out if his back pocket and checks his messages.  It was a reminder for the 50th annual charity auction he was invited to.

The auction was a special event his grandfather attended for nearly thirty years. As stated in his will, Stefan was expected to attend in his place and continue the tradition. Stefan senior left large sums of money to be donated in his name for the next fifty years to honor the long custom and Stefan was required to make an appearance and be part of the legacy.

And he needed a date for the evening. 

Who could he possibly ask on such short notice? Certainly not any of the women he just erased off his answering machine.

Who did he know was mature enough, classy, elegant and available?

Selena, his mind whispered.

The human resource director of his companies.

In her mid twenties, extremely beautiful, smart and ambitious.  She was the one that stood by and helped him during the time his grandfather passed. She kept him grounded. Always checking up on him much like a friend. They had been working together for a few months, teaching him how things were ran and in that short time they became close.

Would she agree? 

He felt like an ass for the last minute call. 

Arrangements would be made for her go to an upscale boutique so she could pick out a evening gown and have her make-up and hair done. 

What girl would say no to that, he wondered?

He glanced down at his watch.  Five more hours before it started.  Tapping his fingers on the kitchens granite countertop he contemplated if he should even bother, go alone or not even attend at all. 

You don't know unless you try, his conscious reminded him.

Deep down he was miserable and didn't want to spend another lonely night alone in his penthouse watching the news or some random movie.  He knew his grandad would have wanted him to go out and see the world and make new memories. 

He felt his heart squeeze in his chest and rubbed the spot unconsciously.   Stefan wished his grandfather was still alive. He spent so much time overseas on missions for the last ten years he barely even got to spend the precious time wasted with him. It made him feel sick to his stomach.

He vaguely remembered the day of his grandad's funeral, it past by like a blur, a shadow.  The only event that stood out was his grief for losing the only father figure he ever had.  The only family he had left in this world was buried six feet under.

Having lost his parents at a young age, he had no siblings.  His grandfather had only one child—his father and no cousins to speak of except for distant ones he did not associate himself with.  They were never around, never cared to visit him or his grandad. 

Since then it had been non-stop with no time to enjoy his life.  He was forced to retire from the Navy SEAL's to take on his responsibilities.  He hated leaving the force but Stefan was obligated to continue the legacy. 

It would have made his grandfather proud. 

After taking a big long gulp of his water bottle and finishing it, he discarded it in the recycle bin underneath his counter and went to his bedroom to call Selena and change for a long workout.
****
Raking a hand through his wet hair, Stefan stared at his reflection in the mirror and raised his razor, carefully ridding himself of the light stubble on his jaw. 

Tapping his razor against the sink, Stefan bends over and rinses his face from the left over shaving cream. Patting his face dry and looking back at his reflection, he smiled ruefully. Easily recognizing the same features his grandfather had at his age. They were nearly identical.

"I'm doing this for you grandad." He says with a resigned acceptance.

Striding back into his room he began putting on his black Armani suit. Placing the last touch, his bow tie, he shrugged on his suit jacket and grabbed the mask he was going to wear tonight for the auctions masquerade ball.

It was black just like the rest of his attire. Fitting it over his face, it covered his eyebrows, extended over his nose and stopped above his lips. It concealed his features well. The perfect disguise. He did not want the recognition, he wanted to go incognito for the evening.

Glancing one last time at his appearance, Stefan strode into the hallway, grabbed the set of keys belonging to his Maserati and exited his home while whistling to himself.
*****
"Welcome ladies and gentleman to the 50th anniversary of this auction. As your invitations included, today is a special event, a masquerade ball is going to take place in honor."

"We hoped to add a little twist this time to celebrate half a century's worth of success. Today's proceeds will be announced anonymously and please if you will, keep your masks on for the entire evening. The point is to keep your identity anonymous as well...."

"In the last fifty years we as a whole community have raised hundreds of millions of dollars for children in need of our support. With your generosity, we would not be able to assist those that depend on us for a cure, or those children whose families lack the funds to pay for their child's chemotherapy. We've helped children's deepest desires come true when they couldn't leave their hospital beds...."

"With our deepest, heartfelt appreciation please enjoy tonight and have your bidding paddles ready, the auction will be starting shortly...." After the presenter finishes, applause broke out.

Stefan opens the door for Selena, as she brushes passed him she murmurs, "Thank you". 

They were just in time, although a little late. 

Stefan grabbed her hand noticing out of the corner of his eye how she was surprised by the intimate gesture and led her down the long corridor, passed the foyer of the hotel towards the signs leading to the event.  He heard the announcement as two men in suits open the double doors. 

They were immediately greeted with large crystal chandeliers, flowers of every color and tables and chairs full of many rich and famous people wearing various masks.  Everything was set in gold tones which emphasized generosity, giving, success, value and sophistication.  It was a color that also added warmth and richness to everything. 

It fit perfectly for the purpose. 

"May I help you, sir?"  The banquet captain approaches him.

"Yes, I have two seats reserved.  If you could direct me to the St. James' tables...we will be joining them."  Stefan replied scanning the crowd in search of one familiar person from the family. 

"Allow me to show you the way, follow me please." 

Stefan squeezes Selena's hand in reassurance, glances down at her face encased in a gold mask matching her gown, and followed the man around the countless tables. 

He had a feeling this would be a night he would never forget....
****
Camelia adjusts the black and silver mask over her face, mindful of the white feather sticking out the side. It covered her nose and upper cheekbones. 

It was becoming increasingly irritating as she felt it press firmly into her skin. The heaviness added more pressure to her head making her neck feel strained and stiff. She suddenly wished she had picked a lightweight mask instead of the heavy detailed metal one securely pinned towards the back of her hair. 

As Camelia watched the waiters distribute and serve the various dishes for dinner she surveyed the crowd, spotting some of the most beautifully dressed women.  It made her a little self conscious of her own attire.  The red maxi dress she chose looked too somber next the extremely elegant and flashy fashions surrounding her. 

"You look like you're going to bolt right through the door Camelia."

Camelia pouted her lips and frowned shifting her head towards her beloved Aunt Cici's daughter, Gloriana. 

Blonde hair the color of the sun flowed endlessly in thick curls down her back, complimenting the beautiful tight fitting, pink sequenced gown she chose for the evening. 

Camelia barely spared Gloriana's brother a glance, Max, who was sitting beside his sister, oblivious of the conversation because he was preoccupied eyeing all the ladies with a hungry gleam in his eyes. When one saw the two, many would mistake them for twins.  They inherited the same color hair and perfect, flawless ivory skin from their mother. 

"I'm thinking about it honestly. I believe I'm going to be sick." She replied, pushing away the plate that was placed before her. "I don't want to do this."

Twenty-five years ago, her own mother was a contestant in the same auction and as the years passed by all her cousins eventually participated in the long time tradition.   She was the only one left to partake in the custom to help raise money for the charity. 

Camelia prolonged the experience for the same exact reason she was feeling now. 

Fear. 

The fear anchored her confidence, she did not feel as special and worthy.  Too self-conscious of her looks, she preferred to hide in the shadows and watch. 

Gloriana rolled her eyes with a small shake of her head. "You can be so stuffy sometimes.  Just imagine everybody in the crowd is naked, that'll help you get over your nerves."

"Easy for you to say! I'm a realist. I can't just pretend...what if nobody bids? What if I make a fool of myself?  What if I pass out? My god I think I'm going to have a mental and physical breakdown!"

The nerves inside her were going haywire and her heart rate sped up. 

Camelia bowed her head and covered her mouth with a hand. "I'm going to throw up."

"Please don't.  I haven't eaten all day and I'm starving!"  Gloriana scoots her chair closer to Camelia and rests a arm on her shoulder. "Keep it together for goodness sakes! People will be able to see right through you if you keep thinking so negatively. Relax and take deep calming breaths through your nose, that's it..." Rubbing circles on Camelia's back.

Camelia's palms began to sweat, glancing down she noticed her legs bouncing up and down nervously.  The room around her felt suffocating, the need to get some air became overwhelming.

Camelia could well imagine herself passing out on the stage in front a room full of people due to the nerves eating her insides.   She had never done something so bold as to be put on display like a doll or to be sold like a piece of property. 

The negative doubt spread like a wild fire in her.

They would probably see right through her and see the weak, insecure person she really was.  That was another part of her fear, where she would look like a fool and get humiliated in front of a rich and famous audience. 

It was phobia she could never shake off as a child.  The shyness in her never dissipated, the anxiety boiling right beneath her skin was always present in situations where she was the center of attention. 

Even when giving speeches during school she was a mumbling mess, turning beet red in the face and wanting nothing but to run out of the room in shame. 

Right after dinner finished the auction was scheduled to start and she was the last on the list before twenty other women.  This years event was not like all the rest. 

The bidder won a dance with the winner right after the auction completed.  The previous auctions included a date with the winning bidder, with a time and place where the winner and bidder mutually agreed upon. 

A simple dance was tolerable next to their past expectations.  Camelia could only imagine the suspense and uncertainty–the obligation to be forced to sit with someone, a stranger. 

Pushing her plate further away she leans her elbows on the table. Although she could not recognize a single person aside from her family members due to the mask, she tried occupying herself by listening to the socializing. 

Thank goodness for the mask, she thought. It provided a shield, a barrier, between her and these strangers.

At a moments notice she feels a shudder—a chill runs through her body quiet unexpectedly. It was the same feeling that could only be explained as...someone walking over your grave. 

"Stefan man, it's been a long time!"  Her father's voice rang through the air.

Camelia stiffened.

No. It can't be.
_______________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading!

Expect the Next update on October 20th where Camelia and Stefan meet face to face!

Don't forget to share, comment and vote!!

Thanks again,
Shaz

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.5K 1.3K 64
He seemed like the devil. He was evil. Cruel. She was always portrayed as a weapon. A tool. An occasional use. One wrong turn -literally- and ever...
16.2K 456 30
...And if Hell feels like Heaven you didn't change the Devil. But he changed You! ____________________________________ Camilla's life was never easy...
34.4K 4.2K 39
Reinan Andersan A prodigy who earns thousands with a flick of her finger and then spends hours distributing it on the people in need. A female robin...
1.7M 50.9K 94
#4 in romance #1 in jealous, passionate, hot #3 in rejection, hot #5 in badboy, funny #9 in wattpad, steamy #55 in werewolf (Highest rankings) "You a...