The Vampire Next Door

By spongeboob_

Sarah Johnson, a 17 year-old girl who has now moved to London with her mom because of her mom's promotion. Sa... More

The Vampire Next Door
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
ANNOUNCEMENT
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 21

64.5K 1.3K 353
By spongeboob_

"Sarah! Are you up there? Get down it's too cold," Sounded like my mom. I groaned as I made an effort to break from Harry's grip. I peeked down at the room mom was standing in, "Oh, I knew I'd find you here. What are you doing up there? Isn't it cold for you?" She asked. I shook my head, "Nope I'm good". Although I was kind of freezing, but I felt this is a really nice place. She nodded and left. I wanted to ask about how her date went, but that can wait. I moved the ladder that we climbed on earlier and closed the roof opening. I went back to Harry, who was looking at his dandling feet from the edge of where he was sitting.

Instead of getting back to my old position where I was sitting. I rested my head on his lap. facing the cloudy, night sky. Very little stars peeked through the clouds every now and then. Harry looked down at me and I smiled as he mirrored. "Sorry about that," I apologized. He caressed my cheek and whispered, "It's fine". I wondered what he was about to tell me when mom interrupted, so I did my thing, ask. "So... you were saying something.." I said.

"Oh yeah.." He chuckled, "Hmm.. what was it.. what was it..".He started teasing. He, by now, should know that curiosity kills me. Especially when it's about him. "Oh comon! What were you going to say?!" I whined. He smiled mischievously at me and still said nothing.

It was then when I knew he had crossed the line, and I couldn't take it. "THAT'S IT," I shouted. "Wha-" I sat up and glared at him, his confused look growing bigger. I put my hands on his hard chest and pushed him to the ground, not so roughly though. He could easily resist what I was doing but he moved along anyway, just to see what I was up to, I suppose. I sat on his abdomen, with my legs on both of his sides. He still had no clue what exactly I was trying to do. I started tickling his sides and hips, "NOOO," He covered his face with both hands and laughed. "I hate tickling! stop!" He muffled into his hands. "Not until you tell me what you were about to say!" I replied, laughing at his failing attempt of hiding his laugh. "FINE, just.. stop it.". I let out a victorious smile and waited for him to say it. He frowned at me as he sat up a little to face me. He sat up slowly, to make sure I wouldn't fall back, since I was still sitting on his lower torso.

"You're a one curious girl," He smirked.

"You make me," I pouted.

"You want to know what I wanted to say?"

"Yes"

"I love you"

My heart started pumping loudly, it was beating so fast I swear I felt it would explode in my chest any minute. Did I hear him right? He stared at me, waiting for a response. "I-I love you, too," I breathed. He seemed relieved as he leaned in for a kiss. I can't believe it, the guy who I was falling for, for a long while, loves me back. I kissed him back immediately. Sparks can be felt in my body. "Say it again," He murmured into the kiss, "It sounded so good when you said it".

I smiled as I repeated, "I love you, Harry Styles." I felt his lips forming into a smile. I don't want anyone to pinch me, because if it really was a dream, I don't want to wake up. This moment couldn't get any better.

"I have no idea what I have put myself into.. it's all because of you, Johnson. It's your fault," He whispered  in my ear, sending a shiver down my spine. What has he put himself into? What does he mean by that? Why is it my fault?

"What do you mean? Why is it my fault?" I asked.

"It's your fault that I love you... The troubles that I'm going to face..." He smirked. Was he serious? Why would he face troubles because of me? The more that guy talks the more questions crowd in my head. Nevertheless, I gave him a questionable look to explain what he meant. The smirk only widened, to a point where his left dimple was on display. He's enjoying this. So I thought changing the subject will be better.

"Harry?"

"Hm?"

"Do you have any siblings?" I asked. I remember he told me not to bring his family up, but he actually said parents, not siblings. Plus, I really know nothing about his family, so I guess it was worth a shot.

I watched as he looked away, "A sister," He mumbled. Harry had a sister? I didn't know that. I wonder if she looks like him. "How old is she? and where does she live?" I asked. 'One question at a time, Sarah', I thought to myself. He turned his gaze towards me, soon turning to a glare. Ugh, oh god, I made him angry. Before I could retreat my words and tell him I didn't mean it, his facial expressions softened a little as he said, "Look, I know you're my girlfriend now and you have the right to know all about me. I understand that, I really do. I just- I can't. At least not now. You'll know soon. I promise."

I knew there was something. Something he has been hiding, I'm sure it involves his family. But why can't he tell me, like right now?

I just nodded and said nothing. There was nothing to be said. I was bummed, I mean, I shared with him a lot about me and why wouldn't he do the same? It's not like he is Superman undercover. What secret is he keeping? Apparently he doesn't trust me enough to tell me. "Sarah?" He glanced at me. I still said nothing, and avoided his eye contact. "Aw come on, you're not mad at me are you?" He cooed. I shook my head a 'no'. I snuggled into the blanket since it was getting colder. How come he's not shivering? I was lost in my own thoughts I didn't feel his gaze on me until now. "What?" I asked. He tilted his head to the side and smiled, "You idiot, I love you. Stop being mad at me" He pinched my cheek playfully. He pulled me to his chest, "You're getting cold. Let's go inside, yeah?". I nodded and we both got up and went down the ladder. Once I was in the house I almost melted from the sudden warmth of the house. It felt like summer in comparison to outside. I placed the blanket on my bed as I turned my head to see Harry leaving. "Where are you going?", I asked. He turned towards me, "Er, home..."

"Can you please stay for the night?" I asked.

"Why?"

Should I tell him that I'm getting scared at night because of the screams that I sometimes hear? Will he judge me? I tried my best not to show my fear whenever I look through that window, that leads to the direction of the nearby forest. Which I believe, all those screams are coming from. "Uh, nothing..." I whispered.

He walked towards me 'till we were inches apart. "Are you.. scared?" He asked. His tone showed no mocking or sarcasm. He was serious. Thank god. I really tried not showing my fear, but he figured it out. I stayed silent, and replied with a very small nod, my eyes not meeting his. "Why?" He asked, taking a seat at the edge of my bed while I stayed standing.

"There are... screams, at night. I-I hear them, I swear I do. I think they're coming from the forest nearby. Every two or three nights I hear a shrilling scream. It really scares me. I wonder what happens to those poor people...", I poured my thoughts out. Harry was dead silent, I continued my thoughts, "Harry, do you think whatever happened to them... happened to Chloe? I-I mean when she was murdered she was found in the forest. And those people are screaming from the forest, too. I wonder id it's the same murderer, or maybe it's a gang? Whatever they are, they disgust me... Why would anyone kill innocent people for nothing?"

Harry looked up at me, still said nothing. He opened his mouth to say something, nothing came out. He looked astonished by my sudden confession. He rubbed his temple, probably trying to process what he's going to say. Finally, he broke the long silence, "You're right... they disgust me, too. But, what if.. they were forced to do it?" He asked, looking up at me. What does he mean by that?

"Why would someone be forced to kill anyone?"

"It happens.", He replied slowly. I swear it seems like he knew something about it. I stayed silent, processing his words. He continued, "But you have to promise me something..", My head turned towards him. He held both of my arms and pulled me towards him until I was standing between his legs. He looked up at me, seriousness was etching all over his face, "Promise me you will never, ever, go near that forest." Why would he make me promise that? I know it's dangerous but the way he emphasized on 'never' made it seem like death. I nodded slowly. "No," He stated, "Say it.."

"I promise."

"You promise what?"

"Ugh, Harry... I promise I won't go near that forest."

"Good," His featured seemed to relax now. "I just want you to know, all I want is to protect you, and keep you safe, baby."

I smiled at his protectiveness. But what is he protecting me from? Does he know who the murderer is? Nah.. No way..

 He finally agreed to stay with me. We both lay on my bed. Spooning. My back was pressed to his chest and his arms were wrapped around me protectively. I wanted to feel his breath on my neck, but I couldn't. Although my back was pressed against his chest, I didn't feel it rising and falling. I shrugged it off like I always do. I was facing the window, and it began snowing outside and I watched the pretty white flakes descend from the dark sky. Pretty sight. I closed my eyes and slept the tingly feeling away. Harry was with me, and that's all I wanted.

**

I woke up to the coldness of the room. I could no longer feel the weight of Harry's arm on my waist. I turned my head towards the other side of the bed. He was not there. I glanced at the clock, 5am. A little light was coming the window, the so called 'sun' was starting to rise. No one can feel its warmth in the winter... I got up slowly with a yawn, looking around for him. I checked the bathroom, kitchen, living room.. He was gone. Typical Harry. Leaving and entering with no warning. I should get used to this. I felt myself chuckling.

Well, since now I won't be able to sleep, I looked for my iPod and headphones to listen to some music. I found them and went back to bed, covered myself with the duvet and rested my head on the pillow and closed my eyes. The first song to be played was 'Unusual You' by Britney Spears. I felt all tingly when I heard the lyrics, somehow I was relating...

 Nothin' about you is typical
Nothin' about you's predictable
You got me all twisted and confused
(It's so you)
Up 'til now, I thought I knew love
Nothin' to lose and it's damaged 'cause
Pattern to fall as quick as I do
(But now)..

 The song started.. all I would think about is him. This song is so relatable it scares me. It went on to the chorus..

Baby, you're so unusual
Didn't anyone tell you you're s'posed to
Break my heart, I expect you to
So why haven't you?
Maybe you're not even human 'cause
Only an angel could be so unusual
Sweet surprise I could get used to
Unusual you

ahhh, ahhhhh...

I listened even more carefully. I knew this song long time ago, and I have listened to it before. This is the first time it gives me the chills, and even goosebumps. Why am I finding this so relatable to Harry? I mentally hushed myself so I could listen to the rest...

After the song ended I stopped whatever song was about to play next, and started thinking about what I just heard. Harry is unusual. This song described him perfectly.

This is my new favorite song.

I played some more music and I lost track of time. I finally got up and removed the headphones. I glanced at the clock, 6:30am. Ugh, why did I wake up so early? I went to the bathroom, took a long shower. The warm water hitting on my skin. I couldn't help but think about the song.

I hopped out of the shower and dried myself. I put on a big red sweater,  black leggings, fuzzy socks and curled my hair. Today is the last day of the year. A lot of things have happened this year.. I finished high school, moved to London, and most importantly, I met Harry. It was a packed year. I'm 100% sure this year is going to be a new start. I'll find a job, make more friends, spend time with Harry. I don't know. What I DO know is that this year is going to make up for all the past horrible 3 years since my dad's thing... This year will be better. I know it will.

It was 8am and I was getting bored already. Note to self: Never wake up at 5am. I headed to mum's room, she was still sleeping. Well, it was 8am already it's time to rise and shine! "Mom, mom, mom.." I started shaking her gently, yet I still sounded annoying. "Mmmm.." She groaned and shifted to the other side as I kept on shaking her, "Come on! Wake up!" I called.

"Sarah," She mumbled, forcing her eyes close, "Stop it". I got off her bed and opened the curtains, smiling. She squinted her eyes as the room has became a little brighter. It was a little dim outside but still, there was light. "I'm gonna make some pancakes!" I called as I sprinted downstairs. Well, she won't go to back sleep now. Yes, I could be annoying sometimes. I took out the ingredients out of the fridge and brought a bowl and started putting them in. Soon enough, I heard footsteps coming downstairs. Mom came in the kitchen. "Morning!" I smiled. She looked at me strangely, "Are you okay, hun?". I giggled at her question, why wouldn't I? Yesterday me and Harry exchanged the 'I love you's, and tonight is New Year's Eve, a fresh start is going to happen tomorrow. Can things get any better? Mom helped me by setting the table, and putting the pancake syrup. One of the little things I miss in Canada is the maple syrup. I called Mia over, surprisingly, she was awake, and said she'll be over in a bit.

"So," Mom started "What were you doing on the roof yesterday? I'm surprised you didn't shiver your butt off."

"I was with Harry."

"I know. Were you two just sitting there?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah"

She still looked at me strangely, "I wonder why I haven't seen him much. I just made conversation with him literally once. How come I don't know anything about his family?"

"He doesn't like to talk about it," I defended. Before she could reply I heard the doorbell, "I'll take it". Smiling in relief, I headed to the door. "MIAAA!" I greeted her with a very tight hug. "Hiya!" She smiled. I let her in quickly so that the heat in the house won't go outside. She headed to the kitchen and greeted my mom. "Shall we? The smell is making me even hungrier," I giggled. They both nodded as we sat on the table. We started digging in our plates and made conversations on our plans and goals for next year.

Such a lovely morning.

After we were done, we went to the living room. Mom was busy in her new novel she has bought a few days ago. "SO," Mia started, "How's Harry?"

"He's good," I blushed.

"I don't see him around much," She commented, putting her jet black hair into a ponytail.

"He mostly comes at night..'' I explained. I tried to sound like I knew about his routine, when in fact, I was just as curious as she was. He never told me what he does in the day... It's just one of the things he won't share, or avoid talking about.

Mia and I later went outside. We met some of the people that used to volunteer with us at Sephora, and said hello. The day went by so fast. We had some lunch and went back home. Mia's parents have invited me and mom for late dinner so we could do the countdown together. I wanted to spend time with Harry, though. I called him to see if he could go with me, the phone rang and rang. He doesn't use his phone much. Finally, he picked up.

{Harry's P.O.V}

"P-Please let me go..." The girl I just caught whimpered. As much as I wanted to let her go, I couldn't. It's a part of my nature to kill for a living. I hated it.

"I'm so sorry," I whispered. The next thing I knew my exposed fangs dug into her neck, and my hands traveled to her mouth to silence her and not let the shriek escape. I sucked blood until I was full and satisfied. Once she became all skin and bones, she fell on the floor.. lifeless. I stared at her as the words Sarah have said earlier rang in my ears...

"they disgust me... Why would anyone kill innocent people for nothing?"

She was right. I am disgusting. But there was nothing I could do to change that... nothing. Before my thoughts could wander any further, my phone vibrated in my pocket.

Okay.. I know it's unusual for a vampire to have a phone, but it was a part of my human disguise. All humans carry cellphones around so I took one as well..

I glanced at the caller ID, the sudden brightness of the screen tingling my eyes. It was Sarah. This girl just makes my guilt even worse. I can't believe I'm still lying to her.. Our relationship is real.. My feelings for her are real, but the problem is who I am. She'll never accept me, she'll never love a criminal like me. She might love Harry the human, which is what I am pretending to be. But she'll never love Harry the vampire. The vampire next door... The phone still vibrated in my hand, I answered, "Hello?"

"Harry? Um, hi... Are you okay babe? I haven't heard from you all day..." She sounded concerned. Can't blame her, I just disappeared from her bed without saying goodbye or anything.

I stared at the dead body laying before me and replied coldly, "Just had some business to do.. Sorry for leaving like that this morning, you were so peaceful I didn't want to wake you up."

"It's okay.. I was thinking we could spend New Year's Eve together?"

Vampires usually gather on New Years Eve, and the first day of the new year with their creaters. (In my case, I should spend it with The Masters).

"Uh, if you don't want to that's okay.." She said quietly.

Oh what the hell..

"I'll be there in a few, babe," I answered. I was disobeying the vampire law anyway, so one more rule won't hurt. Oh, god what happened to me? Since when did I become such a rebel? I knew the consequences will be harsh, but I guess it was worth it...

I removed the snow from where the girl I consumed earlier and dug a hole just to fit her. I put her in there and covered the hole and the body with the dirt, and the snow. It was something I did so just in case some 'Sherlock' humans found her and made a fuss. Usually, vampires will burn the body to crisps, but I didn't have time to do so..

I made my way to my house to get some fresh clothes. Within seconds, I was there. I didn't bother to flick on the lights because I could easily see. I changed to fresh new clothes and got Sarah's present from the drawer. Suddenly, I heard a creaking noise from downstairs. The smell was too familiar, it wasn't a vampire. I quickly put on the human disguise, accidentally poking my eye when putting the lenses. Once I was ready, I soundlessly approached the sound. I knew it was her.. I can smell her from here.

There she was.. Sarah.. standing at the open front door, looking inside the dark house. What was she doing here? She suddenly called, "Harry? Are you here?". She went inside.

Little did she know I was right behind her? But I made no noise and stayed quiet, smirking. Suddenly, she turned on the lights, causing me to groan at the sudden brightness. She gasped and turned around, relieved when she knew it was just me. "Harry!" She shouted, "You scared me!"

I smiled as I embraced her  in a comforting hug, "Sorry!". She looked beautiful, her hair was curled and she was wearing a red dress.

She sighed, "Where have you been all day?"

My smirk just widened. I loved how curious she could get because of me. She looked around the empty, cold house. "You sure have no Christmas spirit..." She commented, crossing her arms, still exploring the house. I suddenly remembered the blood packs I have been keeping in the fridge, if she sees them I'm dead. "Sarah?" I called, trying to stay calm and not panick.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sure you're not going to spend this night in here.." I said, refering to the old, dusty furniture, and the lack of warmth of the house.

"No I'm not," She giggled, "Let's go back to my place."

I smiled as we both left my house. That was a close one. I linked my hand with hers as we made our way to her house which was just a few steps away. "I should come over sometime and give your house a proper clean up.. You seem to lazy to take care of it," She laughed as I rolled my eyes.

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad."

"Harry, there were spider webs."

"Hm... Looks fine to me," I smirked.

"Ew!'' She laughed again as I joined. Soon enough, we were there.

It was 11pm already when we arrived. "Mom is not here," She smiled, "She's been invited to Mia's parent's dinner party. I was invited too, but I wanted to spend it with you." God, that innocent smile. I cupped her cheeks and gave her a lingering kiss. She was surprised at first but then she kissed me back.

Once she pulled away, I grabbed her hand, "Come on, we're not staying here." I smiled. She gave me a questionable look, "Where are we going?"

"To some place special"

Even though I knew it would be crowded with humans, I was willing to take her there..

{Sarah's P.O.V}

We reached the place where Harry was taking me, River Thames. He guided me to the deck and whispered something in the secuity's ear, then the security smiled and said, "Very well! Here you go." He gave Harry two oars. Suddenly, he swiped me off my feet and held me tightly as he stepped on the boat.

Now I get it.

Once the boat got balanced he started rowing so that we were moving with the current. "Harry! That's amazing" I looked around me. Happy people could be seen from down here, and the happy chatter. 15 minutes were left until the new year. The view around was breathtaking. Harry  smiled at me as he kept on rowing. "What did you say to the security so that he gave you the boat so easily?" I asked.

He licked his lips and smiled cheekily, "Told him I was infront of the line waiting for you, by the time you came I gave my turn to the couples before us. So now it's our turn. He bought it."

I shook my head and tried to frown, "Harry Edward Styles. You're-"

"Awesome, I know, baby. I know." He finished the sentence. I looked at my watch and read out loud, "30 SECONDS, HARRY! 29.. 28..27.."

He stopped rowing and came closer to me, he was not breaking the eye contact with me, I kept on counting quietly, "10.. 9.. 8.."

He caressed my cheek with his cold thumb, "3.. 2.. 1.."

The shouts could be heard from almost everywhere said in unison "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Our lips met and we shared another sweet kiss. Fireworks started firing around us, literally. I looked around, everyone was cheering, jumping, and shouting. I could have done the same thing if I wanted the boat to flip. Harry moved my hair to the side and took something out of his pocket. His hands were both around my neck as I felt the cool metal around my neck. "Happy new year, baby" He whispered. I looked down at the necklace he just put. It had a cute little crystal that was shaped as a heart, with a small crystal key attached to it.  It sparkled with every breath I took. It was gorgeous. "Harry!" I squeeled, "IT'S BEAUTIFUL! Thank you so much" I hugged him, hearing his low chuckle next to my ear. "Glad you liked it", He smiled.

I was fighting the tears, happy tears of course. The whole night was like a dream. I have never felt this loved before, or romance. I thought moments like this only exist in the books. But it was real. Harry was real. I love him.

{Harry's P.O.V}

The night ended and I was glad I didn't have to talk to any person, exept for the security. The rest of the night was great. Very lovely. Sarah was enjoying her time, and so was I.

It was 2am when we arrived at her place. Sarah opened the door and saw her worried-looking mum. Shit we forgot to tell her we were going out. "Sarah! Where were you, honey? I was worried. You didn't answer your phone! Where were you?" She asked. Sarah's smile didn't disappear at all. I decided to reply politely, "She was with me, Mrs. Johnson. Sorry, I forgot to let you know."

Her mum's face relaxed, as she let out a relieved sigh. "It's okay, hope you two had fun."

Sarah's eyes were already droopy, "Yes.. so much."

"You look tired. Go to sleep, honey. Harry, stay the night?" She offered. Sarah's eyes met mine as she gestured for me to say yes.

"Alright. Goodnight," I smiled.

"Night."

Sarah slept almost immediatly once she changed to her sweatpants and sweat shirt and laid down. I slept next to her and wrapped my arms around her.. just until the sunrise.. too bad I won't be able to be the first one to tell her 'goodmorning' this year.

Once it was 5am, and it was still dawn, I made my way out of the house to the forest. I was so thirsty. I reached the forest and I could've sworn someone was watching me. I looked around, nobody. I removed the human disguise, fangs coming to a display as well as my red eyes. I still heard movements around me. "Very funny, who's there?" I called. I looked around,  still nobody. How come I can't see anyone? I smelt something, a vampire, someone I know I knew this smell anywhere.. but where?  .. Before I could even look around, I felt something shap sting my back, then I was out. Blackness.

*******************************************

Woah, what a long chappie. Hope it was worth the wait :) WHAT DO YOU THINK HAPPENED TO HARRY? Comment below

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.4K 862 99
Meet Katie Johnson; a 23 year old barista at a cafe that famous businessman, Harry styles happened to walked in to. Her life was simple. Go to work...
48.3K 1K 35
❈ ❈ Perfect ❈ ❈ Book 1 ❈ ❈ Harry Styles, youngest member of the world-famous boy band One Direction. He's quiet, rude, sweet, cheeky, flirty, everyt...
267K 4.1K 30
A girl who felt she was invisible to the whole world. Calls her self Ms. Invisibility. She's pretty. She loves music. She knows One direction. But wh...
95.5K 1.6K 49
A Harry Styles fan-fiction: Kallie was a 19 year old girl, who had a normal life until her mom decided it was time to get remarried after the tragic...