Chapter 20

"I'm invited to a small lunch with my colleague at the hospital. I'll be leaving at 3, are you going to cook or order some food for you?", Mom asked. She's such a caring mother, I mean come on I'm 17 I know how to take care of myself.

I rolled my eyes and reassured her, "Mom, I'll be fine. Don't worry. You just go there and enjoy yourself". She smiled and nodded.

I was on my laptop, looking for some job applications for later on. Once I get my volunteering hours done at Sephora, I would waste no time and leave to the new job. I would have turned 18 y then and I would be at the appropriate age for a job.

Mom was apparently getting ready to leave for lunch. Few moments later, she appeared all dressed up, wearing a formal black blazer with a pretty white blouse, and black pants. She looked pretty. Just as she approached the living room, where I was sitting, I knew it was teasing time. She stood before me and gave me the what-do-you-think gesture. "Ooh la la! tu es très belle, madmoselle!", I gave her a cheesy grin, and I have no idea why I just complimented her in french. What did that have to do with anything..? I could be so weird sometimes.

She rolled her eyes at my response, "No seriously, how do I look? Not too fancy, not too formal, right?".

I raised my eyebrows, okay my mom usually doesn't put that stress on er clothes before. I wonder who's the ''colleague'' she's meeting up with. "Okay seriously, who are you meeting up with?", I asked.

"Fine," She breathed, "It's the doctor I have been assisting at work, Dr. Harris. He invited me for some lunch, he did mention something fancy so..".

"A date? That's amazing!" I exclaimed as I stood up and gave her a big tight hug. She laughed as she hugged me back. "I'm really happy for you!".

"Thanks, honey. And yeah, you can call it a date", She replied. She looked at her watch, "I better get going. I'll be back in 2 or 3 hours, hopefully."

"Have fun," I called out. Now I understood why she was extra happy for a while. I turned my attention back to the screen, displaying few vacant places for jobs. Few minutes passed, I started losing interest on the laptop. I was about to get some tea when all of a sudden Harry walked in silently. I would have said that I was surprised but I wasn't. I'm used to him getting in with no warning, yeah, knocking the door isn't his thing I suppose. "Hey, babe", He smiled.

I shook my head, "Styles, you're going to drive me crazy."

"Why?"

"Because mom locked the door, and I have no idea how you got in", I laughed. Freaking out wasn't an option to be honest. He chuckled and said nothing. It's like I wasn't expecting that. Harry didn't seem to have a Christmas spirit I guess. He's always um.. what's a good word for him? Mysterious? Dark? Secretive? Something like that. And other times he could be the cutest cupcake ever. I remember when we went to the carnival the other night, he was laughing, I can tell he felt, careless. I don't know.

"What are you doing?" He asked looking at my laptop.

"I was looking for a job online, and now I'm starving so I'm about to make some pasta in the kitchen. Want some?", I offered.

"Nah, I just had lunch," He smirked. He peeked at the laptop screen then turned away rubbing his eyes, "Your screen is too bright".

"It's on auto brightness."  

 "Oh."

 I ate as fast as I could and rushed back to Harry, who was probably in the living room. Why is it dark? I looked at the window, he probably put the blinds down. I turned around and saw him laying on the couch with his eyes closed, is he sleeping? I think he is. His face looked so peaceful, his long dark lashes were laying on the top of his cheeks. His dark brown curls were contradicting his pale face. And his chest wasn't rising and falling as I expected it to. Maybe I can't see him properly I sprinted upstairs and removed the duvet from my bed and brought it downstairs. I approached him and laid the duvet on him, careful not to wake him up. But I spoke too soon. His face twitched as he opened his eyes quickly. When he saw me a sign of relief washed down his face.