Tainted Faith

By VampireBunny2154

"The rules for a Mafia wife were endless and strict. Once she entered into this life she would never be free... More

CHARACTERS / CAST
Prologue [re-written 08/12/20]
One: Uno [re-written 08/12/20]
Two: Due [re-written 08/12/20]
Three: Tre [re-written 09/12/20]
Four: Quattro [re-written 14/12/20]
Five: Cinque [re-written 10/01/21]
Six: Sei [re-written 10/01/21]
Seven: Sette [re-written 15/01/21]
Eight: Otto [re-written 06/02/2021]
Nine: Nove [re-written 08/02/21]
Ten: Dieci [re-written 21/03/21]
Eleven: Undici [re-written 22/03/21]
Twelve : Dodici [re-written 24/03/21]
Thirteen: Tredici [re-written 26/03/21]
Fourteen: Quattordici [re-written 28/03/21]
Fifteen: Quindici [edited 29/03/21]
Sixteen: Sedici [edited 30/03/21]
Seventeen: Diciassette [edited 30/03/21]
Eighteen: Diciotto [edited 01/04/21]
Nineteen: Diciannove [edited 02/04/21]
Twenty One: Ventuno [edited 07/04/21]
Twenty Two: Ventidue [edited 11/04/21]
Twenty Three: Ventitre [edited 23/04/21]
Twenty Four: Venti Quattro [re-written 25/04/21]
Twenty Five: Venticinque [re-written 16/05/21]
Twenty Six: Ventisei [re-written 17/05/21]
Twenty Seven: Ventisette [re-written 22/05/21]
Twenty Eight: Ventotto [re-written 26/05/21]
Twenty Nine: Ventinove [re-written 28/05/21]
Thirty: Trenta [re-written 12/06/21]
Thirty One: Trentuno [re-written 14/06/21]
Thirty Two: Trentadue [re-written 02/07/21]
Thirty Three: Trentatre [re-written 11/07/21]
Thirty Four: Trenta Quattro [re-written 16/07/21]
Thirty Five: Trentacinque [re-written 20/07/21]
Thirty Six: Trentasei [re-written 17/08/21]
Thirty Seven: Trentasette [re-written 20/08/21]
Thirty Eight: Trentotto [re-written 26/08/21]
Thirty Nine: Trentanove [re-written 08/10/21]
Forty : Quarantatre [re-written 08/12/21]
Forty One: Quarantuno [re-written 09/12/21]
Forty Two: Quarantadue [re-written 10/12/21]
Epilogue
BONUS CHAPTER I
BONUS CHAPTER II
My Works

Twenty: Venti [edited 04/04/21]

113K 3.3K 995
By VampireBunny2154

7.30 am

Liliana stared wide eyed at Marcello's sleeping face half buried into his pillow, his dark hair a tumbled mess against the white bedding. She checked the clock again, not quite believing that her famously distant husband would still be here beside her.

She'd never seen him still in bed when she awoke, not even on their honeymoon. The only time she'd seen him sleeping was when they had fallen asleep outside their villa on their first night as a married couple.

She knew it was a Saturday, but that didn't usually stop him from disappearing on an early morning.

For a man as imposing as he, seeing him so peaceful and unaware seemed wrong. Seeing him be anything but the reserved asshole he usually was, was an instant sign that something was horribly wrong with him. Liliana was almost certain that he'd had a panic attack, she'd seen her aunt go through one enough times to recognise the signs. If that were the case, it was no wonder Marcello had fallen asleep so quickly afterwards - panic attacks would always take a lot out of her aunt, leaving her exhausted afterwards.

Despite knowing this, Liliana still couldn't help but be shocked by the sight of Marcello still in bed.

Regardless of why he was still here, Liliana knew she didn't want to be around when he eventually awoke. He'd allowed her to help him the night before, but that didn't guarantee he would welcome her presence now that the shock and adrenaline had worn off. It was more than likely that now that the panic attack had passed, his usual mood would return.

Liliana was quick to shower and dress, grabbing any clothes she could find, before sneaking out of there room by 7.45 am, hair still wet. She knew she looked at mess but it hardly seemed to matter, especially when she stumbled upon Giovanni in the lounge, scowling down at his mobile.

"What's wrong with you?"

Giovanni didn't look up as he texted. He was dressed immaculately as usual in grey fitted trousers and a white short sleeved shirt unbuttoned at the collar.

"I can't get a hold of Marcello, and I have no idea where he is," he murmured, sounding distracted. Giovanni shook his had as he continued to type quickly, only offering her a fleeting glance.

"It's only early. Surely it isn't so strange to have not heard from him yet. It's not like he needs to work every single day." Outside of the mafia, Liliana knew very little about Marcello's work. The D'Onofrio's used a hotel as a front - one that had somehow gained a reputation for housing the elite of New York - but Marcello's responsibilities regarding it were lost on her.

"Of course he doesn't," Giovanni scoffed. "He's only uses the office at the hotel to meet with associates on occasion. But he's rarely needed there, and he's spent far more time than usually at work lately."

Liliana's mouth flattened into a grim smile, abundantly aware that she was probably the cause of that. So he had been avoiding her. His absence hadn't been a result of his work, but a choice on his part to specifically stay away from the manor.

"Still," Giovanni sighed, running a hand across his face. "He's never in bed past six and I always know where he is. When he's missing, something is wrong."

He looked so terribly worried slouched over in the couch - the least composed she had ever seen him - that it would have been cruel to stay silent any longer.

"There's no cause for concern," Liliana breathed, running her fingers through her still wet and tangled hair. "You can cancel the missing person's investigation. He's still in bed this morning."

That got Giovanni to finally put his phone down. He was staring at her as if he couldn't quite believe what she was saying, and Liliana was almost insulted that he thought she'd lie to him about it.

"Marcello... is still in bed?" Giovanni's asked gruffly, eyebrows still furrowed into a heavy frown. Liliana nodded, and knowing why Marcello had yet to emerge kept a smile from her face - no matter how amusing Giovanni's shock was.

"Did you two stay in the same room last night?" Giovanni queried slowly, quirking an eyebrow, a small smirk played at the corner of his mouth.

Liliana scowled, feel her cheeks flush at the insinuation. "We are married, you know."

Giovanni shot her a pointed look, lips twisting into a smirk.

"It's not what you're thinking," she grumbled adamantly.

Giovanni laughed deeply, the sudden sound catching Liliana off guard as he teased, "Sure it isn't."

"Okay," she huffed with a roll of her eyes, heading for the door "If you're going to be like this, I'm leaving you to it."

"Oh come on, Principessa," Giovanni called after her, still laughing. "I thought you'd be in a better mood this morning, considering..."

Liliana flipped him off on her way out, and the sound of Giovanni's laughter followed her all the way to the kitchen.

Peace was a hard thing to find that morning, it seemed, when Liliana found Angelo in the kitchen with a cup of coffee and a scowl. There were dark bags beneath his eyes, a faint dusting of stubble across his usually smooth jaw, and he was dressed only in a dark pair of sweatpants and white socks.

"Angelo," Liliana greeted civilly, faltering in the doorway. From where he leant against a countertop, Angelo folded his arms across his chest and looked away. Seriously? "Are you going to continue to ignore me?"

It was not lost on her that she hadn't seen Angelo at all since the incident. Marcello was not the only D'Onofrio skilled at hiding away.

Silence greeted her ears and Liliana didn't bother to hide her irritation and she stalked over to one of the cupboards, and offered him a distasteful look. She'd come in here for a cup of tea, and Angelo's childish attitude wasn't going to scare her away. While she set some water to boil, and grabbed a nearby cup, she heard Angelo huff to himself.

"Seriously?" She snapped sharply. Angelo's scowl hadn't eased and he still refused to look at her. "What have I done wrong to you? You tried to kiss me and then when you got caught you decided to avoid me for an entire week."

She saw him scoff and mutter something under his breath.

"What was that?" She hissed, glaring. She didn't care if she was being rude, or acting childish. If Angelo wanted to act like a petty teenager, she could too. The only difference was that she actually was a teenager at nineteen, while he was twenty-years old and had no doubt been working for the mafia since he was sixteen.

"I haven't been avoiding you, don't get too cocky Lil'. I've been kept busy with work, Mercello sent me to the other side of the city." He smirked bitterly. "I may not like my brother but he's still in charge, I can't refuse his commands when it comes to my role in the business."

"What is it that you do for Marcello?"

Angelo disregarded her question with a wave of her hand. "It isn't important."

Was it unimportant, or did he not want her to know? It wasn't like she expected to be privy to every secret the D'Onofrio's had, but she was getting tired of being told so little or of being constantly fed half truths as if to keep her from asking anything too pressing.

"Then what is important, Angelo?" She pierced him with a sharp look of indignation. "Perhaps the fact that you tried to seduce a married woman?"

Angelo cringed, biting his lip as his head stooped in shame. The tip of his ears grew pink, and he rubbed at the back of his neck as he groaned, "Do we have to talk about this? It's really not a big deal."

That was the wrong thing to say.

"Not a big deal?" Liliana snapped. "Are you really that stupid? The worst Marcello did to you was send you away for a few days, had he really been infuriated I would be the one to face the brute of his wrath."

"Of course this is about Marcello," he commented bitterly.

"Well I'm sorry Angelo," Liliana retorted sarcastically. "It's not like he's my husband or anything."

"You don't even like my brother," was Angelo's only defence.

"Exactly. I don't know him, I don't trust him." She caught his gaze, her expression softening along with her voice, loosing all traces of anger as it was replaced with an emotion more similar to far and anguish. She swallowed roughly, her fingers curling into a tight fists by her sides. "We both know what kind of power my husband holds. If he honestly thought for more than a second that I would be unfaithful to him, do you think I would still be here today, speaking to you? I hate to admit it but I'm powerless here. I don't have my cousins to back me up, and because of that I'm left vulnerable under Mercello's dictatorship of my life. I don't need some petty, jealous little boy to threaten my well-being just because he was curious or bored or wanted a quick thrill."

Angelo rolled his eyes at her speech, which only served to infuriate her more.

"It's like you're intentionally trying to aggravate Mercello," she said. Angelo's jaw clenched. "That's it, isn't it? You're using me to try and cause conflict. Why?"

"My brother always get's everything, it's amusing to challenge him. He's like a spoilt little brat, expecting all and throwing fits when he doesn't get it. Mercello was always the favourite in Father's eyes," the man-child grumbled under his breath, glancing up at her with irritation gleaming in his eyes. It was ironic that Angelo was complaining about his older brother's childish behaviour and yet he wasn't acting much better.

"Angelo, I'm married to your brother," she explained slowly and quietly, her voice dropping an octave. "This isn't a competition over who I like more, my loyalties have to lay with Mercello for the sake of my life."

He only grunted, once again choosing to avoid her eyes.

"Fine," she breathed, "be this way. I'm not going to stay here and feed your attitude."

It wasn't even 9.00 am yet, and already she was exhausted. Liliana didn't think she could spend another second in the house without screaming. So she was going to take advantage of her new freedom to leave, and see if she could get some answers at least one of the many pressing issues.

***

"I was surprised you wanted to meet," Sophia said, mouth curving at the corners as she eyed Liliana across from her. "How are things? We never got a chance to speak at the party; you and the husband left quite early."

Liliana's lips pursed as she stared down at her tea, as she thought over her next words carefully. Her fingers tapped thoughtlessly against the small table they'd procured at the same café they had first met. Ten guards were with her today, three at the table behind them, two stood off to the side, and five on the street blocking anyone else from entering the building.

The café owner had been compensated heavily, and after the mention of the D'Onofrio name from her one her guards, they'd been more than happy to concede and also quite obviously too terrified to do otherwise. Giovanni wasn't with her today, surprisingly allowing her to leave the manor without him. Liliana didn't question it though, not wanting to push her luck.

"I met your uncle yesterday," Liliana drawled, taking a long sip of her tea as she watched Sophia above the rim of her cup. The blonde straightened in her seat, but her expression didn't change.

"Uncle Alessandro?" Sophia asked, with no sign of surprise. "Even I've not seen him since his release. Where did you meet?"

"He showed up at the house without warning, with two pretty menacing suits at his side, forced his way in, was incredibly rude and I'm pretty sure he's temporarily broken my husband."

Sophia winced, picking at the pastry on the plate in front of her.

"Have you spoken to him recently, your uncle?"

"Yes," Sophia confessed, not meeting Liliana's eyes. 

"And us meeting, you and I, was that accidental?"

Sophia smiled wryly, "No."

Liliana released a deep breath and sat back in her chair, crossing her arms. She wasn't surprised by this, she'd had her suspicions ever since she learned of Sophia and Alessandro's relationship - suspicions that only grew stronger once Alessandro made his appearance and revealed his relation to Marcello.

"I take it Alessandro organised it?" Liliana asked warily.

"He's been in prison the entirety of Marcello's life. Can you blame him for being curious about his grandson?" Sophia shrugged, seeming remarkably unbothered to have been caught out.

"He told you about that?" Liliana tensed. Granted she didn't know much about the situation, but she knew Marcello's mother wasn't common knowledge, and she was sure Marcello wouldn't be happy to learn that someone else knew. 

"I'm his niece. He's an old man whose life fell apart when his only daughter died. Is it so strange that we might be close?" Sophia asked, head cocking. "I would visit him in prison as a child, with my mother."

Liliana didn't answer, pursing her lips as she stared at Sophia. Eventually she said, "I feel like I shouldn't trust you."

"And do you?"

"I want to," Liliana answered honestly. She was in such desperate need of someone to trust.

"But you don't," Sophia clarified for her. She smiled softly, leaning forwards. Her blonde hair fell forward with the movement. "I'm not going to push you for secrets on Marcello, if that's what you're worried about. I genuinely would like to be your friend, and if you're spending your weekend here with me, it's obvious you need one."

Liliana only took another sip of her cooling tea.

"They already know I'm Alessandro's niece; it's not something I was hiding. Though perhaps they don't know how close I am with him, considering he's been in prison my entire life," Sophia explained. "But you can't help who your family is, can you?"

No, certainly not, Liliana thought bitterly, thinking of her father.

"He's your mother's brother then? You don't share the same name," Liliana mused. Did that mean Sophia's father worked for Alessandro? It was rare that women from Mafia families were allowed to marry just anyone.

It was honestly remarkable that Liliana made it to nineteen before she was engaged. Most women from her village were engaged from as early as thirteen, and married as soon as it was legal. The ability to choose her own husband had always been unlikely, but never had Liliana imagined being forced to marry a Mafia Boss, and especially not one in America.

"My full legal name is Sofiya Nikolaievna Volkova." Sophia rolled her eyes. "But I don't usually tell people that. I prefer to distance myself from the Russian part of my heritage. My mother - Alessandro's sister - is where I get my Italian side from. Raptis is her middle name." 

"Russian?" Liliana asked with a raised brow. A woman from the Mafia had married a Russian?

"Don't," Sophia laughed. "It was a huge scandal at the time. My mother's parents completely disowned her. It's a wonder we're still in contact with Uncle Alessandro."

"I'm surprised that's all they did."

Sophia cringed. "Yes, well... My father's powerful in his own right. There was little else they could do without risking his wrath. But I'd really rather we didn't talk about him." 

Sophia cast a glance to the two guards standing close enough that they would be able to hear every word of their conversation. Her voice dropped to a quiet whisper as she asked, "How are you doing? And don't bother feeding me that bullshit like you did before; I can't believe Marcello seduced anyone into marriage. It's obvious you were forced into this."

"I-" Liliana hesitated before answering, deciding internally how much she was willing to share with Sophia. What could she say? She and Marcello rarely ever shared a room, and the only time they vaguely functioned as a couple was when they were forced to act like one in public. Marcello seemed to be playing a game with himself where the only rules were to pretend she didn't exist unless it suited him - and so far he was doing a fantastic job of it.

"I don't know what to say," Liliana confessed. "Things between Marcello and I are still new," and uncomfortable.

***

Marcello awoke that day to an unusual sight. His wife was nowhere to be found and he was left alone, at 10.00am in their bedroom on a Saturday morning. Lately Mercello had become acquainted to the sight of Liliana almost buried beneath their white sheets, the length of her bare neck on display to him as the loose, dark strands of hair from her sloppy bun curled at the nape. She would snore too, only a light noise, barely audible, but definitely there. It was endearing in an annoying sort of way.

He didn't want to find anything about his wife endearing. He didn't want to have any positive feelings about his wife at all.

But the unfortunate truth was that he did, on some level, care for his wife. Even if it was only to the point that her presence beside him in bed would be missed.

Already he spent far too much time thinking about her, whether it be concern for her safety or concern for her health. It had helped to have her dislike him so evidently, and made it easier for him to distance himself from her. But after last nights confusing display of concern for him while he was having a very obvious and very disconcerting meltdown on their bedroom floor, he didn't know what to think or how to feel.

So while her absence in their bed left him feeling somewhat disappointed, it also came as a relief.

However, by the time he had escaped the confinements of their bedroom and found Giovanni, Marcello discovered Liliana wasn't just absent from their bed, she was absent from the entire house. She had left. Alone.

"What do you mean she's out for lunch?" He hissed, his face feeling uncomfortably hot. "How can she have left the house if you're still here?"

Giovanni's gaze dropped for a second under Marcello's wrathful stare and loud voice. But then he was glaring right back at his older brother with no qualms to the consequences and seemingly all the confidence in the world.

"She has ten guards with her Mercello and she's only at a restaurant with Sophia. She needed to get out of the house and I can't be with her all of the time. Threat or no threat, you've got to give her some freedom."

"Ten guards?" Mercello scowled. He had only assigned six, he only trusted six.

"I figured the loss of my stunning presence would require at least four more guards. They're safe Marcello, I checked them out myself multiple times. She's fine."

Giovanni sat on the couch, looking far too relaxed as a football match played on the TV with the volume turned down low. There was an open, half drank beer on the coffee table in front of him with two more unopened beers beside it.

"Is this your idea of working?" Mercello grunted, dropping down beside his brother and reaching for a bottle for himself.

Giovanni shrugged with a faint smirk on his face.

"I figured if the boss was having a day off, I could too. I've got my phone on me anyway, if I'm needed for anything. Did Carlos get back to you about that deal?" He muttered, keeping his eyes on the game.

"No, but I'm not expecting anything until three. I doubt anything will go wrong, he knows what he's doing." Mercello twisted off the cap of the bottle, taking a long gulp of the still cold drink. He was aware of Giovanni watching him cautiously.

"Well after what happened to Luca..." Giovanni trailed off.

"Yeah, well," Mercello grunted. "Luca chose to defy orders, it was his own fault he got hit."

"All I'm saying is that mayb-"

The echoing slam of the large front doors of the manor cut Giovanni off. Both brothers turned to watched as Liliana appeared into view, the thin material of her dress clinging to her curves as she stalked past the open doorway and further into the house. Marcello's eyes lingered for longer than they should have.

"I don't appreciate you leaving the house without my knowledge," Mercello called after her. Without a pause in her steps, Liliana snapped back at him, her voice growing quieter with every step between them.

"I don't appreciate you demanding control of my every action."

"We're going out for dinner tonight, be ready by six," he shouted back, unaffected by her attitude.

"Yes your royal highness."

Someone was in a good mood today. But at least things seemed back to normal between them, his embarrassing display the previous night forgotten.

"Taking the wife on a date? Is this you finally accepting your feelings and giving up the act of workaholic virgin?" Giovanni teased, nudging him roughly with his elbow.

"Don't be a dick," Mercello berated gruffly. "I have that dinner with one of father's old contacts tonight. He wants to get reacquainted and he's bringing his wife along with him which is a sign he doesn't want to talk business. I'll need a date and I obviously can't take anyone but Liliana."

"Not that you would want to," his brother concluded smugly.

So there was a slight shift in Mercello and Liliana's dynamics in this chapter that I hadn't planned but it's written now.

Q. Character couple names anyone? (Any characters in the book that you see / want a future for)

(A family tree to help clear up any confusion due to Alessandro's introduction)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.3K 1K 24
He walks closer to me, pushing me back against his desk. "I'm going to throw you down and fuck you until you scream my fucking name." His fingers sli...
1.2M 25.9K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...
70K 980 41
Francis Fiore, the leader of the most powerful mafia in the world. He's ruthless, cold, doesn't trust anyone neither loves anyone. He's the most fear...
61.3K 1.8K 50
Being the only daughter of the Rossini Family, Audelia Valentina Rossini becomes the target of countless dangerous enemies and what happens if she fa...