A Reluctant Angel

By Ruechari

Progressive Properties is aggressively taking over where small neighborhoods once flourished. Now Angelique's... More

Prologue (1)
Prologue (2)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-four
Chapter Thirty- Five
Chapter Thirty-six
Chapter Thirty-seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Sixteen

1.1K 111 28
By Ruechari

Angelique had the most horrible thought. Is it possible I'm even worse at being an angel than I am at being human?

"Angel..." Gabrielle began, but Angelique cut him off.

"If what you're telling me is true... well, of course, it's true, but ..." she sighs heavily and points at John. "Well... look at him?"

Gabriel smiled at Angelique. "I know things haven't worked out as we had originally hoped but you have to admit, if there is anyone who needs saving, it's him."

"Saving? From what? He has everything he wants in life, money, status, and every available woman in New York and even some of those who shouldn't be available."

"He needs you, Angel," Gabriel said patiently.

"I highly doubt that," Angelique contested. "What could I possibly offer him?"

"The one thing he needs most. The one thing he has been missing for most of his life. Love. More specifically, your love. Are you willing to finish what you started?"

"What I started? Gabriel, I'm confused."

"Do you love him?" Gabriel asked.

"Why are you asking me a question that you already know the answer to?" Angelique asked, annoyed.

"Do you believe in him?" Gabriel continued.

"What do you mean? Gabriel, I don't understand." Angelique felt more frustrated by the second.

"If you do not believe in him, he will be lost and I'm afraid so will you."

Looking back at John's sleeping form, trying to understand what he required of her, she asked, "Gabriel, can't you tell me what I need to do?"

But no answer came. Gabriel vanished.

She was John's angel. Well, that would explain the connection with him, but how could she save him? Especially when he seems determined to destroy her. What did Gabriel mean by she needs to believe in him? Believe what? Putting her coffee down, Angelique unfolded her legs from the couch and moved closer to John.

Kneeling by his feet she stared at him as if he were a puzzle to be solved, but somehow the answer escaped her. Gabriel said love was the answer, but could she really afford to give him the one tool that was needed to destroy her? John stirred, but Angelique didn't move too intent on finding the key to unlocking this mystery.

As he opened his eyes, he awoke to find Angelique staring at him. It was unnerving how intense her gaze was. He sat up a little straighter in the armchair to put some non-existent space between them. He hated it when she looked at him like that as if searching for something that she wasn't sure was there. She had a way of looking into a man's heart and bringing out the worst in him, his conscience.

"Angel? Stop staring at me like I'm something to be fixed. I'm fine just the way I am, thanks."

Angelique crinkled up her nose at him in disbelief. "I have to disagree with you, but I guess only time will tell," she said as she stood up.

Perplexed by her answer, John changed the subject.

"Look, I'm sorry for trying to keep you from the hearing but I was worried. You don't seem to realize the trouble you're in. I've seen this kid before and he's dangerous. He has friends that can and might even try to harm you."

Seating herself back on the sofa, she asked, "What do you care?"

John winced and rubbed the back of his neck to cover his reaction to her words. "I don't wish you harm, Angel."

"I don't understand you, John. You came here two weeks ago hell-bent on destroying me. Now you wish me no harm? You're trying to take the shelter from me but you don't think that would hurt me?"

Feeling more tired than before he went to sleep, John stood up and stretched out his aching muscles. How could he make her understand when he didn't understand it himself?

"Angel, I'm not looking for a fight here. I guess I had better just leave." As John approached the door, he looked back at Angelique, sitting rigidly with her back to him. As his hand rested on the doorknob, he felt he had to say something. He wished he could make her understand.

"Angel?"

She didn't reply.

"Please, look at me?"

Angelique turned to face him.

"What do you want from me, John?"

John stared back, knowing the answer, but not knowing how to tell her. "I need you... I just... I just need you to know I would never intentionally hurt you. I have reasons for my actions but for now, I just need you to believe."

Angelique was about to respond when the phone rang. Torn between dealing with John or with the interruption, Angelique answered the phone, afraid something may be wrong at the shelter.

John turned to leave. He obviously wasn't about to resolve anything right now, but he froze as Angelique gasped, "Oh, God no..." and dropped the phone.

He was immediately at her side. "Angel, what is it?"

She looked terrified and could not find her voice to answer him. Thinking that someone had called to threaten her, John demanded of the caller, "Who is this?"

"John, is that you? Where is Angelique? Is she with you still?"

Finally, placing the familiar voice, John asked, "Mrs. Duncan?"

"Yes, John. Heaven be praised! You're both together. There has been a fire at the church. Both Michael and Reverend are in the hospital. You need to get here as soon as possible. Please, John. Bring Angelique with you."

"Are they hurt? How bad are they hurt, Agnes?"

The woman broke down and cried.

"Michael... Michael should be fine, dear, but I'm afraid the Pastor has suffered a heart attack. Please do hurry, John." After asking a few more important questions, John hung up the phone. Grabbed hold of Angelique's hand and left for the hospital.

The drive to the hospital was unbearable. Angelique just stared straight ahead, completely in shock. No matter how much John tried, he couldn't snap her out of it.

"Angel, please talk to me? Agnes said your Father had a heart attack, but he's not dead. People recover from attacks all the time."

She didn't even blink. It was eerie. Even though physically she sat right next to him, mentally she just wasn't present.

John was flying at a speed way over the limit, and probably broke several traffic laws trying to get them to St. Vincent's Hospital. As if on autopilot, as soon as the car stopped, Angelique sprang from the car and started running for the entrance. John hadn't even had time to undo his seat belt before she had disappeared through the revolving doors.

Frantic Angelique realized she did not know where they were keeping her Father. It was John who had the information. Doing a quick peripheral of the room she saw John didn't come in with her. So she sought the information desk.

"Hello?"

The woman was on the phone with someone. She smiled and nodded at Angelique, holding up her finger for her to wait a moment.

Angelique felt if she had to wait for even a second longer, she'd burst from her skin. Wasn't it obvious she was in a state of emergency? She was quickly losing all patience.

"Look, ma'am, I just need to ask you one question."

"Miss," the woman replied with practiced patience, "I am servicing someone on the phone. I will be with you in one moment. If you just wait, I'll answer any question you may have."

Incensed at the idea of waiting, Angelique was about to do the unthinkable. She reached across the service desk to hang up the phone until John stopped her hand, grabbing a hold of it and hauling her off in a different direction.

"Just follow me. I have all the information from Agnes." He didn't relinquish her hand as he picked up the pace to grab the elevator door before it could close, dragging Angelique in tow.

An orderly taking a patient to x-ray held the door for them to come aboard.

"What floor?" the young man asked.

"Four," John answered, and the orderly pressed the white button.

"That's a secured wing, sir. I should probably tell you, you're going to need clearance to get in."

"Clearance?" Angelique asked. "Why? What for?"

The orderly looked to John to tell her the answer. Looking from the orderly to John, Angelique felt the fear seeping into her being.

"John?" her voice sounded like a whimper. It killed him to see those trusting eyes looking up at him, searching for reassurance. Reassurance, he wasn't sure he could give. Holding her hand a little tighter, he explained.

"They secured for their protection. The police don't believe the fire at the church to be an accident." He watched as the information penetrated her daze.

"They think it is arson?" she asked in disbelief. "But who would do such a thing?"

No sooner were the words spoken did it hit her. Her hand clasping desperately at the cross around her neck. "Oh, God? God no! It was me, wasn't it?" She looked with terror-filled eyes at John. His mouth set in a firm line, his look stern. "They tried to kill him because of me?"

"Angel, you don't know that, and you won't be helping Father or Michael to recover by thinking such things."

She wasn't hearing his words. She only began muttering, "I killed him. I may have gotten him killed. I killed him."

They had stopped, and the doors had opened, but neither of them had noticed. "Fourth Floor," the orderly spoke up. 

"Thanks." John nodded. Wrapping a protective arm around Angelique before leading her to where they were keeping Rev. O'Bryan.

There were armed guards at the door to the entrance, and outside of the double doors was a phone that connected with the nurses' station. The nurse on duty was absent at the moment, so they couldn't be buzzed in. Angelique didn't know what was holding her together she felt as if her skin was the only thing keeping her from going everywhere at once.

John stopped her from pacing and held her firmly by her shoulders. "Angel, look at me."

She refused. She couldn't.

Lifting her chin so she'd have to, John could see Angelique was losing her grip, as tear-soaked eyes looked into his, threatening to overflow at any moment.

"Angel, we are going to get through this. I promise."

How much she wanted to believe him. If it were some other time, perhaps. If it were some less serious circumstance, she may even find it humorous that in such a time of need for comfort, the only person she had to rely on was her archenemy. Now, however, she was just confused. What to do first?

Suddenly the nurse appeared, and John heard the buzz and then the click of the door. Leading them through, he stopped at the nurse's desk.

"Hello," she said, smiling warmly at them. "I will need you both to sign in and a form of I.D."

Angelique, in her rush, had left her bag with all her information at home. She panicked and looked at John to help.

John gave the woman his driver's license. "I am John McDougle and this is Angelique O'Bryan, were together."

"I need her I.D.," the nurse said.

John gave Angelique's hand a squeeze. "Look, I'm afraid in my rush to get us here I didn't allow her enough time to grab her purse."

The nurse looked from Angelique to John. Noting her hesitation, John pulled out a picture from his wallet of the two of them together. Take this picture back to Mrs. Agnes Duncan. She can verify for you who Angelique is.

The nurse nodded. "I'll be right back," and then disappeared again.

Angelique wondered at the picture. Why did he still keep it with him?

The nurse returned within a minute and handed them both badges, saying, "Follow me, please. I'll bring you to Rev. O'Bryan and your brother."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

605K 27.6K 42
Needs editing [ the destiny series #1] 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒑𝒖𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅 π’•π’‰π’†π’Ž 𝒂𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒃𝒖𝒕 π’…π’†π’”π’•π’Šπ’π’š π’‚π’ˆπ’‚π’Šπ’ 𝒑𝒖𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 π’•π’‰π’†π’Ž π’•π’π’ˆ...
456K 17.7K 26
Chloe heads to Canada leaving the past well and truly behind her. A complete break the time with her older brother's family is her time to find herse...
7.8K 1.2K 47
Sybil 'Billie' Harewicke's life leaves much to be desired, starting with her ridiculously old-fashioned name. She's a rational, dull person - who had...
10.6K 1K 16
For the first time in her memory, Marley Harkin isn't spending the holidays in the city. No, this year her family is spending Christmas in the Hampto...