Hidden [h.s]

By peahchels

Rose does not like Harry. And Harry does not like Rose. But perhaps the threat of a ruthless brain and a shad... More

PROLOGUE (EDITED)
ONE (EDITED)
TWO (EDITED)
THREE (EDITED)
FOUR (EDITED)
FIVE (EDITED)
SIX (EDITED)
SEVEN (EDITED)
EIGHT (EDITED)
NINE (EDITED)
TEN (EDITED)
ELEVEN (EDITED)
TWELVE (EDITED)
THIRTEEN (EDITED)
FOURTEEN (EDITED)
FIFTEEN (EDITED)
SIXTEEN (FIFTEEN)
SEVENTEEN (EDITED)
EIGHTEEN (EDITED)
NINETEEN (EDITED)
TWENTY (EDITED)
TWENTY-ONE (EDITED)
TWENTY-TWO (EDITED)
TWENTY- THREE (EDITED)
TWENTY-FOUR (EDITED)
TWENTY-FIVE (EDITED)
TWENTY-SIX (EDITED)
TWENTY- SEVEN (EDITED)
TWENTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
TWENTY-NINE (EDITED)
THIRTY (EDITED)
THIRTY ONE (EDITED)
THIRTY-TWO (EDITED)
THIRTY-THREE (EDITED)
THIRTY-FOUR (EDITED)
THIRTY-FIVE (EDITED)
THIRTY-SIX (EDITED)
THIRTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
THIRTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
THIRTY-NINE (EDITED)
FORTY (EDITED)
FORTY-ONE (EDITED)
FORTY-TWO (EDITED)
FORTY-THREE (EDITED)
FORTY-FOUR (EDITED)
FORTY-FIVE (EDITED)
FORTY-SIX (EDITED)
FORTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
FORTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
FORTY-NINE (EDITED)
FIFTY (EDITED)
FIFTY-ONE (EDITED)
FIFTY-TWO (EDITED)
FIFTY-THREE (EDITED)
FIFTY-FOUR (EDITED)
FIFTY-FIVE (EDITED)
FIFTY-SIX (EDITED)
FIFTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
FIFTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
FIFTY-NINE (EDITED)
SIXTY-ONE (EDITED)
SIXTY-TWO (EDITED)
SIXTY-THREE (EDITED)
SIXTY-FOUR (EDITED)
SIXTY-FIVE (EDITED)
SIXTY-SIX (EDITED)
SIXTY-SEVEN (EDITED)
SIXTY-EIGHT (EDITED)
SIXTY-NINE (EDITED)
SEVENTY (EDITED)
SEVENTY-ONE (EDITED)
SEVENTY-TWO
SEVENTY-THREE
SEVENTY-FOUR
SEVENTY-FIVE
SEVENTY-SIX
SEVENTY-SEVEN
SEVENTY-EIGHT
EPILOGUE

SIXTY (EDITED)

68.6K 2.1K 6K
By peahchels

I don't speak to Harry for two weeks.

For obvious reasons.

I ignore him when I see him around the apartment building, I ignore him at work, and I ignore him when we meet in his apartment along with the rest to discuss Wolfe Enterprises. I always feel his eyes on me, though; green irises of fire that bore straight into me.

It was too soon. Too soon for me to tell him. I should have know he wouldn't change for me, how could he? I'm no Violet.

I don't know what to feel. I love him, I know that much. Even if he did laugh in my face, I do love him. He has done so much for me over these past months, yet at the same time he's brought a whole world full of secrets and deception that I've never even dreamed of.

I know if Harry wasn't so hidden, he would perhaps love me back.

I feel like there's this gaping hole inside of me, this crater in my heart. It's almost as if when Aaron and I broke up, Harry filled the empty gap in my soul with his cheeky grins and sarcastic remarks. He soothed my fear of being left alone, and we were alone together. But now, we are both truly by ourselves, because at this point, we don't even have each other.

At work, I throw myself into my editing, sometimes getting up to three manuscripts done a day. Mr. Greenman has praised me highly, and so has Mr. Crystal. Harry always watches me from his desk, tossing his stupid rubber band ball from hand to hand, spinning in his chair. I do my best to ignore him every day, but it proves difficult when I'm utterly infatuated with the green in his eyes.

Sometimes, when I step out of the elevator in the lobby of Crystal, I look up and see a single figure sitting on the skylight above. I don't have to look long to know it's Harry.

I also notice that he's been writing.

It's in this torn, leather-bound journal that I catch him scribbling in. I always see him writing at random times, too-at lunch break, when he sits quietly next to Zayn while Perrie, Zayn and I chat. He always sips coffee as he does so, his hand flying across the page.

I'd give anything to know what he's writing about.

In a nutshell, my life without Harry is colorless. I had never noticed before that I had been missing something in my life, something beautiful. I've never smiled or laughed as much as I had when I was around Harry.

Harry made me happy, by just being his annoying, sarcastic self, and he didn't even know it.

One Wednesday at lunch break, Harry gets up to use the restroom, leaving his leather journal behind.

Jesy and Perrie chat about some concert they're going to next weekend, but my eyes are glued to the journal.

Don't do it, Rose. You know you'll get in trouble with him. Besides, you're not even on speaking terms.

Zayn eyes we from beside Perrie.

"Something wrong, Rose?" He asks me as the other two talk

"Do you know what he writes in there?" I ask, not moving my gaze from the tattered book.

"In the book?" Zayn looks over at it, shrugging. "No clue. Why?"

"Just...curious."

Harry still isn't back by the time everyone begins to return to work, and his leather journal still sits on the table.

Don't do it. Don't read it. Don't-

I snatch up the book, flipping open the front cover. My heart pounds. It's a book of letters.

8 January 2008

Mum-

I saw your grave for the first time today. The stone isn't even the nicest one they've got. It's not a nice, shiny granite like you deserve-it's probably just some slab of old stone they found in a junkyard, or something.

I graduate uni in two more months, then I'm off to America. I'm sorry, I know you always wanted me to stay in England, but I can't. I'll be better off there, I know it. And you always said you wanted what I wanted, right?

"What are you doing?"

I drop the book, jumping at Harry's voice. I swallow at his angry eyes.

"You just couldn't help yourself, could you?" He snaps, snatching up the book and tucking it under his arm. "You ignore me for a week and half, and then you go and snoop around in something that's clearly not yours?"

I look at my hands. "I was just-"

"Curious. I know." He turns on his heel and stalks out of the break room, leaving me to think about the short entry I read.

Letters. Of all things, he was writing letters.

Are they all to his mother?

My old nagging sense of curiosity is tingling in the back of my brain, itching to be soothed.

That short confrontation was the only time Harry and I spoke.

I sigh as I pull my gloves off, throwing them onto the couch as I enter my apartment. I think I'm catching a cold, my nose is stuffed up and my throat hurts. I need to run to the pharmacy to get some medication, or something.

I hang my coat in the closet and turn around to walk into the living room, gasping at the sight before me.

Aaron sits calmly on my sofa.

"Hi," He greets me.

I furrow my brow, fear beginning to pump though me. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "How did you get in? what---"

"Please Rosie, one question at a time." He gestures for me to sit in the armchair next to the couch.

I carefully sit. "How did you get in here?" I ask slowly.

"I've known how to jimmy a lock since I was thirteen."

"Why are you here?"

"We need to have a little chat."

I swallow.

He leans forward. "Rosie, what do you know about Wolfe Enterprises?"

"Nothing."

"False."

I clench my jaw. "I don't know what to tell you, Aaron. I have no connections whatsoever to Wolfe Enterprises, whatever it is."

"But you do have connections to Harry."

"No." I feel a pang in my chest. "No, I don't."

"Then take my uncle's offer. You're valuable, Rose. We could educate you about Wolfe, and you could make a lot of money out of it."

I shake my head. "Come on, what have you got to lose?"

"I'm not doing it."

"You'd be Alec's closest executive, next to myself. You'd get anything you want."

"Aaron, I'm not doing it, and if you think you can just barge in here and force me into things, you're wrong!" I stand.

"I know you and Harry haven't been speaking," He says lowly, standing from his seat. "I know you're too proud to tell him to come after me if I were to do anything now."

I shake my head, taking a step back. "You're wrong."

"No, I'm right. If I were to have my way with you, right here, right now, who would you tell? Harry surely wouldn't care, would he? Since he caught you snooping in his journal?"

"H-how do you know about that?" I stammer.

"Wolfe has eyes and ears everywhere, my sweet Rosie." He steps forward and pushes a strand of hair behind my ear, smiling down tauntingly. My skin feels disgusting from his touch, quite the opposite of Harry's.

"Join us," He whispers. "You won't regret it."

"Leave me alone," I say through gritted teeth.

"join us."

"What do I have to do to make you leave me be?"

Aaron grins wickedly. "Oh, I could make you do a lot of things."

I step away from him, twisting the door handle and opening the front door. "Get out," I spit. "And if you jimmy your way back in here, I'll call the police. I'm sure the hospital wouldn't want to see a criminal record to spoil your precious internship, would they?"

Aaron tilts his chin up. "Very well. But this is not over."

I slam the door behind him.

I crumple onto the couch, built up tears from the past two weeks spilling out of me. All of my pent up sorrow from the way Harry laughed, the way he shot me down when I told him I love him pours from me.

I wipe moisture from my face, smearing my carefully applied makeup all over my cheeks. I feel like a mess-I am a mess.

I go to sleep that night, thinking of the words scrawled in Harry's journal, the beautifully painful words that I yearn to read more of.

The next morning, I drop my things onto my desk at work, emotionally drained.

Despite my internal state, I managed to clean myself up, putting on a light blue blouse and black skirt. My hair is neatly curled, although I want nothing more than to sweep it into a ponytail.

But I work at Crystal, and in the world of publishing, image is everything.

I open the folder with my first manuscript of the day in it, clicking open Harry's pen that I still have.

"Hey."

I look up in confusion, meeting Harry's emerald gaze.

"Happy birthday."

It takes me a good ten seconds to realize it is indeed the twelfth of December, and I am indeed now twenty four.

And it takes me another ten to feel my sagging heart lift a bit at the fact that Harry remembered.

I manage to smile up at him, the first real smile I've put on in days. "Thank you." I breathe and he nods, dropping into his seat.

Why would he remember? If he feels nothing for me, why would he go to the trouble of remembering my birthday?

I have trouble focusing, after that.

Zayn and Perrie wish me happy birthday at lunch, and even Mr. Crystal leaves a voicemail on my work phone, telling me he's satisfied with my work so far with the company, and he hopes to see much more from me.

My mother calls me at two, gushing about how she wishes she was there with me to celebrate. Elizabeth calls shortly after that, going on about this guy she met in one of her college classes. My father calls as I'm leaving Crystal, telling me he's so proud of me and everything I've accomplished.

While I know I should be feeling happy about all of this, I can't help but think that Harry doesn't have any family to call him on his birthday and tell him that they're proud of him.

Everything in my life at this point seems to lead back to Harry.

If only he felt the same way about me.

I drop my things onto the couch when I get home, sighing. I change into flannel pants and a sweater, tying my hair up. I sniffle, still recovering from my stupid cold, deciding I'll make soup for dinner.

I turn on the TV and feel like crying again when the Office comes on.

I've fallen so hard for Harry, and it scares me. I didn't know this level of complete and utter infatuation existed, but Harry has proven me wrong.

I watch TV halfheartedly as my soup cooks, leaning on my elbows over the counter.

I eat alone, still watching TV as I swallow the burning broth.

At seven, I hear a key twist in the lock on my door.

I look up as Harry steps in, almost shyly. He wears a brown sweater and he holds a container.

"Hi," He says.

"Hi."

He walks into the kitchen, setting the container down.

"What are you doing here?" I ask in a monotone.

"I, uh...I made you something."

"What?" I stand, my brow furrowing.

He opens the container to reveal a cake. It's covered in white icing, with a single candle stuck in the middle.

"You made this for me?" I ask.

"Yeah." He looks down.

"What kind?"

"Red velvet."

"How did you know it was my-"

"It's my favorite, too. It was a lucky guess." He half smiles.

I look back down at the cake. "It's lovely, but...why?"

He sighs. "I'm still figuring that out. It's your birthday, come on."

"Well...thank you," I say, and mean it.

He nods. "No problem." He pushes another thing toward me on the counter, a box wrapped in silver paper.

"You got me a gift?"

"It is your birthday."

I raise an eyebrow and carefully unwrap it.

It's a box of pens-ones exactly like my favorite one that ran out, in all colors of the rainbow.

A laugh escapes me. "You're kidding."

Harry smiles.

"Thanks, Harry. You know you really didn't have to do this."

"I know."

I smile, my eyes travelling back down to the cake. "Well, since you're here, I suppose we can eat this together."

He smiles wider.

I retrieve a cake cutter from the kitchen, handing it to Harry.

He cuts out a piece for each of us, the interior of the cake bright red.

"Would you like to sing 'happy birthday,' or are you too cool?" Harry asks me as I hand him a fork.

"I'm definitely too cool."

He chuckles as we eat in silence, the sound of the TV muffled in the background.

"It's been a hell of a week, hasn't it?" Harry breaks the silence.

"What do you mean?"

"Just, these past weeks. They've been hellish."

"Why have they been hellish for you?"

"They just have."

Vague answer. Typical Harry.

I pause. "I'm sorry for snooping in your journal," I say. "That was... stupid of me."

He stares at me for a bit before nodding.

We finished eating and I put the rest of the cake in the fridge, cleaning up the kitchen.

"I guess I'll see you at work tomorrow, then," I say flatly.

"Yeah." He nods. "You...you don't want me to stay?"

His question shocks me. "Why would I want you to stay?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Right, yeah. I don't know, I...yeah." He scratches the back of his neck. "I'll see you at work."

He turns and walks out of my apartment, the door clicking shut behind him.

What did I just do? He offered to stay with me on my birthday, after he make me a cake, for fuck's sake. I'm an idiot.

There's no point in going after him, so I sigh and slide into bed.

I stare at the ceiling for two hours straight, alone with my thoughts.

I open the drawer of my nightstand, looking for a new hair tie (my current one snapped), when I come across a stack of folded paper.

Harry's notes to me.

Random, short notes that he's written to me over the months.

I pull them out and unfold them.

Rosie-

Sorry about the mess the other day. Thought you'd want some help cleaning up.

-Harry

Rosie-

You fell asleep in my car last night. Don't let it happen again.

-Harry

Rosalie-

I swear to God, if you click your pen one more time I will snap it in half.

-Harry

Rosie-

Roof at lunch?

-Harry

Rosalie-

I'II race you home.

-Harry

These meaningless notes seem to mean the world to me.

Before I can stop myself, I grab my key to Harry's apartment and slip out of bed, padding through my apartment. I twist the key in the lock, pushing the door open quietly.

The apartment is dark, with his bedroom door cracked open. I see the glow of the TV flicker from inside the room, and I tiptoe through.

He looks up when I enter, shutting his leather journal.

He furrows his brow.

"Rose?"

I look at my feet. "Hi."

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

He looks at me confusedly.

I take a breath. "I actually wanted you to stay."

He furrows his brow. "Really, because I got the vibe that I had ruined your birthday, or something."

"No, you actually made it a great birthday."

He raises an eyebrow.

I chew on my lip. "The cake was the best I've ever had, except, don't tell my mother, she'll get upset because I've always told her that she makes the best red velvet, but actually you do."

He cracks a smile.

"And I love the pens. I'll use a different color every day, I'll write up a schedule. Warm colors on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and cool colors on Tuesdays and Thursdays."

His dimples show.

"And you remembered my birthday this morning, when I hadn't even remembered, so that meant a lot. It meant so much, Harry." My voice cracks slightly.

Harry sets his journal on his nightstand. "Come here, Rose."

I slowly crawl onto the bed, leaning into his outstretched arms.

I'm engulfed by the warmth of his being, and I almost cry at how much I've missed him.

He holds me tight, the muted sound of the Office playing in the background. I smell his minty scent and shut my eyes, leaning my head on his chest.

How can he hold me like this, and tell me I mean nothing?

I pull away, looking down at my lap.

"I should go," I say, beginning to stand, but he catches my wrist.

"Don't go."

"Harry, I-"

"It's your birthday. Just stay with me, tonight."

I shake my head. "I-"

"Just stay."

I look into his eyes, searching them.

I finally nod and slide under the covers next to him, his legs finding mine as I nuzzle my head into his neck, his warm hand pushing my hair over my shoulder.

"Happy birthday," He whispers to me. "You're twenty four."

"Great," I say, and he laughs lightly.

Our breathing slows and I fall asleep shortly, my senses overcome with his minty scent and breathtaking touch.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

880 142 41
"There's something in the shadows. It finds you in a cold room. Silhouette against the wall." Elizabeth Rose walks home every night, nothing but mur...
Racers By sousou

Fanfiction

20.2K 430 46
Bella was a girl with a bad past , but she always thought that the past is the past , she had a normal life with her friends and boyfriend , they rac...
780K 18.8K 82
2014 Watty Award Winner rose does not like harry. and harry does not like rose. but perhaps the looming threat of a ruthless mastermind and a shady c...
374K 11.8K 40
|mature content| In the shadows lurk beasts that mankind are completely oblivious to. They blend in with society so it's almost undetected. But when...