Begin Again

By ivymiss

What if Clark didn't leave for Paris and made it to the baptism? An AU of the end of On the Wings of Love. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Epilogue
Bonus
Note

Chapter 8

15.7K 254 247
By ivymiss

The last few seconds of the commercial played on the screen and when it was over, cheers and clapping erupted in the room. Leah stood up in front of the screen.

"Okay, here we have it. The completed final version of the Pop! Cream Soda commercial. I know we didn't have the typical process of making this commercial. Naging madugo ang processo. Napuyat tayo, nagkasakit...Parang lahat ng malas na pwede mangyari sa paggawa ng commercial nangyari sa atin." Everyone laughed. "But we pulled through. And we made a product that I'm really proud of and that I will be happy to present to the Pop! executives. So thank you everyone for all of your hard work."

"Ma'm, wala bang bonus diyan?" Someone called down the table.

"Oo, ma'm, ang dami namin overtime." Someone else put in.

"Walang bonus." Leah smiled at the chorus of disappointed 'awws.' She held a hand up. "But it's Friday and you can all have the rest of the day off."

Cheers erupted in the room once again. "Sige na, umuwi na kayo sa mga pamilya niyo," Leah continued. "No emergency calls this weekend."

Everyone stood up and started gathering their things, chatting happily with one another.

"Ma'm Leah, labas kami mamaya sa Videoke bar para mag-celebrate," Ellie, one of the junior copywriters, said. "Join kayo, Ma'm!"

"Oo nga, Ma'm!" The others echoed.

"Videoke bar? Hindi na." Leah gathered up her folders and laptop. "Thank you sa invite, pero uuwi na lang ako sa asawa ko." She smiled.

"Wow!"

"Yee..."

"Uy, blooming si Ma'm!"

Their teasing followed Leah out the door and she shook her head good-naturedly at their antics. She couldn't wait to get home and surprise Clark.

~

He'd had a long day. Mrs. Uy, having been an interior designer herself, was being very hands-on on the hotel and Clark had spent the entire day meeting with her as well as her old colleagues, who all had their own opinions on Clark's designs. Between the hotel and his work on Mr. Remy's resort, Clark hardly spent time in the warehouse anymore. He knew that meeting the clients and being the face of the company was important but sometimes he missed just spending time in the shop and actually making the furniture. Clark's hands itched to do his own woodwork but he's been having less and less time for it lately.

Clark climbed up the stairs to the apartment tiredly. He thought he might take a nap before picking Leah up from work...that train of thought stopped when he opened the door and saw Leah herself bent over the kitchen table, wearing an apron, and lighting two candles in the middle of the table.

"Clark!" She smiled at him. "Tamang tama ang uwi mo."

He took off his messenger bag and set it down on the couch on his way to the kitchen. "What's going on?"

Leah gestured to the table, which was perfectly set for a romantic dinner for two. Two plates were set with steak, mashed potatoes, and vegetables. Leah removed her apron, revealing a tight fitting black dress that hugged all of her curves, and took Clark's hand, guiding him to his seat. She picked up a bottle of wine and poured him a glass.

"Leah, what is all this for?" He asked.

"Tapos na ang commercial namin. Finally! So I thought we could celebrate." She poured wine into her own glass and took her seat across from him.

Clark looked down at his perfectly cooked steak, the plating that was just like a restaurant's. "You didn't have to do all this..."

"Pagkatapos ng lahat ng ginawa mo para sa akin ngayon nakaraang linggo? It's the least I could do. Thank you, Clark," she said, her voice heartfelt and sincere.

"Thank you for what?"

"Sa lahat ng nagawa mo. Inalagaan mo ako noong nagkasakit ako, sa pagsundo mo sa 'kin sa trabaho kapag ginabi ako ng uwi, sa pagpapaalala mo sa akin na kumain. Dahil sa 'yo nakaraos ako sa sobrang hectic na linggo na 'to. Kaya thank you."

Clark looked down at his plate, fighting the warmth he could feel creeping up his neck. "It was nothing," he mumbled.

"Kain na tayo!" Leah picked up her steak knife and fork and dug into her food, Clark followed suit. He cut into his steak, it was cooked medium rare, just the way he liked it.

Leah talked about the commercial and the actors that they got to star in it as she cut her steak into small pieces, but Clark was barely listening. All he could concentrate on was the way Leah's skin glowed in the candlelight, how her perfectly curled hair fell across her shoulders...she was beautiful and Clark's mouth went dry just staring at her.

"Hindi mo ba gusto ang steak mo?" Leah asked in concern when she noticed that Clark wasn't touching his food.

"No!" He cut a piece and ate it. "It's delicious!"

Leah smiled. "Kamusta naman ang araw mo?"

Better now, Clark wanted to say.

"I was in meetings with Mrs. Uy all day," he said instead. "She, um, really has opinions on everything."

"Pinapahirapan ka?" Leah asked sympathetically. "Interior designer kasi siya dati. Oo nga pala, hindi ko naasikaso ang campaign para sa hotel dahil doon sa commercial pero ngayon na tapos na, I'll give it my full attention. Hindi na ako tatanggap ng bagong accounts, mga CD ko na ang bahala. Kailangan ko ulit sundan ang process mo ngayon sa pag-design ng hotel, ha. I'll be taking videos and pictures. Sana di mo ako pahirapan ulit katulad ng dati."

"Hindi kita pinahirapan," Clark said defensively. "I was just honest about my process."

"Honest? Yung pumasyal sa Pier 39 at ice skating sa Tahoe, honest 'yon?"

"The ice skating was your idea!" He laughed. "And don't pretend you didn't have fun."

Leah shook her head, smiling, as she ate her food. "May utang pa pala ako sa iyo."

"Anong utang?" Clark asked.

"Na ipasyal ka sa perya dito sa Pinas. Kapag summer na at bakasyon ang mga bata, maraming magbubukas na perya. Punta tayo."

"Sige, at pwede natin isama sina Jordan and Jenny," Clark said excitedly.

Leah's smile faded slightly but she nodded.

"Pati sina Gabby at Brent, Harry and Audrey," he continued.

"Oo, tayong lahat! Baka pati sina Tatang sumama rin eh."

"Family outing ulit?" Clark smiled.

Leah nodded. "Hindi kasing layo ng Batangas pero masaya pa rin kasi sama sama tayo."

"Sounds perfect," he said.

Leah blushed under his gaze and kept eating. When they finished their meal they sat on the couch with what was left of the wine and put on a movie. It was another Vice Ganda comedy that Leah so loved watching.

"Mahilig ka pa rin dito?" Clark asked.

"Oo naman." She settled in beside him with her wine, leaning against his side and putting her feet up on the couch. Her dress inched up her thighs and Clark tried really hard not to look at the expanse of thigh that was being revealed to him. "Nakakatuwa kaya. Ang tagal ko na nga hindi nanonood eh. Yung mga movies niya na released in the last two years hindi ko napanood."

"Bakit?"

Leah glanced up at him. She shrugged. "Walang time. Shh...magsisimula na!"

The mindless comedy film was exactly that...as mindless as Clark remembered when they watched it the first time in their apartment in San Francisco. He found himself quickly losing interest in the movie, his attention turning to Leah laughing her head off beside him. So much had changed about her physical appearance in the last two years. She curled her hair regularly now, her make up was expertly applied, her clothes were expensive and always the latest fashion. But the more time Clark spent with Leah, the more he saw that the things that really mattered haven't changed at all. She still puts her family first and makes a point to visit the tenement during the week and on weekends, her schedule allowing. She still liked the same food and didn't mind eating at karinderias instead of fancy restaurants, even preferring it most of the time. She still played street games with the kids at the tenement. And she still lets out her big bellow laughs when watching Vice Ganda films. Clark could see that she was a different Leah on the outside, but still his same Leah on the inside. And he so badly wanted to kiss her.

He was just gathering up the courage to do it when Leah's phone rang. She sat up and picked up her phone from the coffee table.

"Hello? Mrs. Uy!" She looked at Clark. "No, it's no problem. Yes...pinaguusapan nga namin ni Clark kanina. Bukas po?" She looked up at Clark again in panic. "Um, sige po. Uumpisahan na namin. Yes...okay. Okay. Thank you, Mrs. Uy. I'll keep in touch."

"What is it?" Clark asked as soon as she hung up.

"Gusto na umpisahan ni Mrs. Uy ang pag-document sa iyo bukas. Kaso wala pa akong naa-assemble na team. Naka-focus kasi ako sa commercial."

"Bakit hindi mo sinabi kay Mrs. Uy?"

"Alangan naman sabihin ko sa kanya 'yon no. Eh di mawawalan siya ng tiwala sa professionalism ko."

"What are you going to do?"

Leah thought for a minute. "Ako na lang muna gagawa. Kukuha ako ng gamit bukas ng umaga sa office tapos ako muna ang mag-document ng trabaho mo. And then Monday morning I'll assemble a team."

Clark looked at her skeptically. She took his arm and pulled him up from the couch.

"Halika na, matulog na tayo. Maaga pa tayo bukas."

Clark followed her to the bedroom, the lost moment weighing heavily on his mind and wondering when he'll really screw up the courage to tell Leah how he feels.

~

When Clark woke up the next morning the bed beside him was empty. Leah wasn't in the bathroom but when he walked out of the bedroom, there was breakfast waiting for him on the kitchen table with a note.

Morning Clark!

Kumuha lang ako ng camera equipment sa office. Kumain ka ng marami at pagbalik ko trabaho na tayo. Love you!

Your Leah <3

Clark smiled and carefully tucked the note into his pocket. She had made him a breakfast of fried rice, hotdogs, and eggs. He had finished eating and was washing his plate when the front door opened and Leah came in, two large bags on her shoulders.

"Good morning!" She said brightly.

"Ang aga mong gumising," Clark said, wiping his hands on a dish towel.

"Medyo excited ako eh," she admitted.

"Bakit?"

"Wala. Na maka-trabaho ka ulit. So, Mr. Medina..." Leah smiled up at him. "I'm all yours today."

Clark's breath caught in his throat. He looked back at her smiling at him in what he swears is a not-so-innocent way.

"So ano uunahin natin?" She asked. "You're the boss."

Clark cleared his throat and looked away. "Well, Mrs. Medina," he said pointedly and Leah beamed. "How about I show you the blueprints and designs I've made?"

"Lead the way, sir."

~

Leah was slowly being driven out of her mind. Everyday of working with Clark was both paradise and sweet torture. On the one hand, they were getting closer than ever. They had spent the weekend documenting the work that Clark has done on the hotel so far and the partnership they were forming was one that Leah loved so much that she was loathe to break it on Monday morning when she assigned a team to cover the campaign for the hotel. But on the other hand, the closer that she and Clark got, the harder it was for Leah to not grab him and kiss him.

Sometimes she wondered what would happen if she just kissed him. Leah was almost sure that Clark wouldn't turn her down now. At times she felt like he was close to giving in and making a move but they were almost always interrupted. Leah had learned to be confident enough in herself to be assertive and go for what she wants. Clark is what she wants and she's so close to just taking him by the lips, but something in her gut stops her. They have been apart for two years but Leah still believes that she knows Clark better than almost anyone. She can still see the hesitation in his eyes, and she knows that there's still a wall around his heart that she has yet to knock down. Leah can't make the first move. It has to come from him. He has to decide that he's ready to love her completely again and build a future with her. All she can do is wait...even if it drives her crazy.

Leah transferred the cooked spinach and mushroom omelette onto a platter next to the bacon, fried crispy like how Clark liked it. He was taking an unusually long time to get ready. Clark was coming to the office with her so that he could meet and speak to the team that will be handling the advertising campaign of the hotel. Leah was excited, not only because Clark would get to see her at work, but also because she was proud to show off her husband.

But at the moment she was very hungry and said husband was taking a long time to shower and get dressed. She poured herself a tall glass of orange juice and sat down at the table, deciding to start breakfast without him. She swears Clark takes a longer time to do his hair than she does her make up.

Just as Leah is about to take her first bite, Clark comes out of the bedroom without a shirt on and his phone at his ear. Her fork of bacon stops midway to her mouth at the sight of him.

"Yes, I understand. But I have another commitment. I can work on it in a few hours and get it to you by the end of the day...Now?" Clark ran his hand through his hair, making his biceps stand out and Leah was practically drooling, her mouth hanging open. "You need it now?"

Clark sounded frustrated and it looked like he was having a serious conversation but Leah couldn't concentrate on any of it. She couldn't stop staring at Clark's muscular chest, his abs and that thin strip of hair below his belly button that disappeared into his jeans...Leah dropped her fork, sending it clattering down to her plate, and picked up her glass of juice, taking big gulps from it. Clark hung up the phone with a sigh.

"That was Mr. Remy," he said. "He wants to completely change the penthouse suite for reasons I don't really understand. I have to change the schematics of the room plus adjust some of the designs on the furniture that's already set to go into production." Clark heaved another frustrated sigh.

"I'm sorry, Leah. I need to take care of this right now but I'll try to be quick, can you give me two hours? Susunod na lang ako sa office mo."

It took a few seconds for Leah's brain to process everything he said. Seriously, why wasn't he wearing a shirt?

"Ha? Um, sige. Kung gusto mo, i-move ko na ng after lunch ang meeting."

"Really? Are you sure?" He asked.

"Oo! No problem." She smiled and nodded her head up and down, feeling like a deranged doll but she still couldn't stop staring at him. It was really hot in the apartment...was their aircon broken?

"Thanks Leah. You're the best." He turned and walked back to the bedroom. Leah's eyes raked over the curve of his shoulders and his muscular back. She took big sips of juice and shoved a large strip of bacon into her mouth.

~

Clark walked into the Art Mart building, fixing the sleeve of his blazer and running a hand through his hair as he went. The guard recognized him and waved him on through. He was running a little bit late but he had texted Leah and she said the team would wait. When he got to the elevator there was a small group of women waiting, probably just having come back from lunch. One of them noticed Clark and immediately froze. Their chatter died down.

"Hello, sir. Good afternoon," one of them bravely said.

Clark nodded and smiled politely. "Good afternoon."

The elevator doors opened and he let the four women pass through first. Each one of them gave him a shy smile as they passed, giving him a not-so-subtle once over. Clark stepped into the elevator.

"Which floor?" He asked.

"14, sir." Someone answered.

It was also his floor. So they were Leah's staff. One of them noticed that he didn't press any other button.

"Sa 14 rin po kayo?" She asked.

"Yes. I have a meeting with my wife, Leah Olivar-Medina."

"Oh em gee, jowa ni Ma'm Leah..." One of them in the back said under her breath, though her voice carried in the small space. Clark bit back a smile.

The elevator doors opened and Clark once again let them all pass through first. He watched as they walked-ran to their cubicles, no doubt to gossip about their elevator encounter with the boss's husband. Sometimes he was really grateful for not having a nine to five office job.

He made his way to Anna's desk and she stood up and greeted him with a smile.

"Hi Anna. Sorry I'm late."

"Walang problema, sir. Nag-strategy meeting lang muna sina ma'm. Halika na po." She showed him the way to a meeting room.

"Ma'm Leah, nandito na po si Mr. Medina."

"Thank you," he said as he passed by Anna.

"Clark." Leah grinned up at him. She stood up and took his hand, leading him to the head of the table. "Everyone, this is Clark Medina, my husband. But more importantly, he's also the CEO of Woodlands Furniture and Woodworks and the lead designer for the S&E Uy corporation hotel."

Leah introduced the people around the table one by one and Clark really looked at them and tried to remember their names and roles.

"Hi everyone." He smiled. "I'm sorry to make you all wait. I had a bit of an emergency on another project I'm working on."

"Okay, so Clark, why don't you start by telling us about your plans and designs for the hotel," Leah said before taking her seat at the table.

"Yes. First, it starts with Mr. and Mrs. Uy's vision. There are a lot of hotels in Metro Manila. A lot. And since the rise of the many casinos in the city, Manila has been a stiff tourism and business competitor for Singapore, Hong Kong, and many other Asian cities. This has resulted in the building of many more luxury hotels around the city and for the existing well-known hotels to really step up their game. The question that Mr. and Mrs. Uy had to ask themselves was 'How do we set ourselves apart? How do we make our hotel different?' Forgive me for naming names but we can't just build another Shangri-La or Manila Peninsula. They already exist and they already have their reputation. We need to look and feel different from your standard high-rise hotel building. I've been working with Mrs. Uy closely for the past few weeks and I've noticed that she has a lot of nostalgia for the past. She is a fan of history, she knows that even material objects holds a story. So with that in mind, Mr. and Mrs. Uy's vision is to build a hotel that is in the style of an old Spanish colonial mansion."

He nodded at Leah and she pressed the button her laptop to project the digital model of the hotel on the screen next to Clark.

"It will be strategically located near Intramuros. It will be small, offering only 55 rooms. So exclusivity is the name of the game here. It will have the small, homely comfort of a B&B but with 5 star hotel service. Wait a minute, why does it sound like I'm selling this hotel to you? Isn't this your job?" The entire table laughed. "Anyways, you get the idea. This project is near and dear to my heart. It will be my first big design project based in Manila. And the theme is one that is very close to me, if you know anything about my work on the Sun and Moon Café chain, it has a similar theme and is also based off of classic old world Manila. Okay, now that you know what the hotel will look like and what it's about, I'll let Leah speak."

Leah stood up and Clark took her seat in front of her laptop. "Thank you, hubby. Ngayon alam niyo hindi ako biased kapag sinasabi ko ang galing niya, no?"

There was a murmur of agreement around the table and Clark rubbed the back of his neck. Leah went on to talk about the campaign strategy and then fielded questions from the team. Clark watched her and couldn't help but admire how she commanded the room. The Leah in front of him was confident and secure in her own talents and abilities, she also knew her team and what she wanted from each of them. She had come so far from the Leah of two years ago and Clark was so proud of her. But at the same time there was a little voice in the back of his head that wondered if Simon was right and Leah could never have become this version of herself with Clark weighing her down back then.

When the meeting ended Clark followed Leah to her office.

"What do you think?" She asked.

"Okay naman sila. I don't really know anything about the marketing end. I just need to do my own work."

"And we won't interfere. But we do need a lot of footage of you. Kaya kailangan natin mag-ayos ng sched. But we'll get to that. For now, that was a good meeting. And I assembled some of our best on this team so you're in good hands." Leah went around to her desk. "Kita na lang tayo sa bahay? May tatapusin lang ako dito. Siguro mga 30 minutes tapos uwi na rin ako."

"30 minutes? Hintayin na lang kita."

"Naku, huwag na, Clark," she protested. "Nakakahiya sa 'yo. Sigurado may trabaho ka pa."

"Leah, nandito na rin lang ako. Sayang naman kung maghihiwalay pa tayo ng uwi. Sandali lang naman ako maghihintay."

"Sige na. Mapilit ka eh." Leah smiled and he could tell she was pleased.

"I'll just use the restroom and then I'll wait for you downstairs."

"Sige. Thank you, Clark."

He made his way to the restroom after stopping to ask directions from Anna. It was in a hallway outside of the main room of the office. He noticed how eyes followed him as he walked past the cubicles and he just smiled and nodded as he passed by.

After leaving the restroom Clark got a bit turned around as he looked for a shortcut to the elevator banks. He heard voices and followed it, thinking those people might lead him back to the main office.

"Nakita mo ang jowa ni Ma'm Leah? Jusko, ang gwapo!"

Clark stopped next to the wall of an open door of what a sign said was the employee lounge.

"Girl, may chika ako sa 'yo. Bago ka lang dito eh. Wala ka two years ago noong copywriter lang 'yan si Leah at si Simon Evangelista pa ang ECD dito."

"Diba siya ang ECD sa Art Mart San Francisco?"

"Oo, at doon galing si Leah. Girl, hindi ka ba nagtataka? Within 2 years, na-promote na si Leah from copywriter to Executive Creative Director? And take note, two years ago bagong hire lang din siya sa Art Mart."

"Oo nga eh. Ang galing niya, grabe."

"Magaling sa kama, sabihin mo."

"Hoy! Ang sama mo talaga...hindi nga?"

"Hay naku. Nandito ako noon pa. Kitang kita na type ni Simon si Leah, sobra. Lagi siya pinapagalitan, pinagiinitan, at pinapahiya. Pero noong nagtagal, aba...binibigay niya na kay Leah ang lahat ng malalaking accounts. Lagi silang ginagabi dito sa office na silang dalawa lang. Tapos yun nga, sinama na ni Simon si Leah sa Dubai. Instant promotion to Creative Director! Sino bang maniniwala na walang nangyari sa kanila?"

"Jusko...Eh bakit may jowa na iba si Ma'm Leah? Ano nangyari sa kanila ni Sir Simon?"

"Ah, diyan ako bilib sa Leah na 'yan. Dahil si Clark, fiancé niya 'yan two years ago. Pinaplano nila kasal nila. Iniwan niya at sumama kay Simon sa Dubai. Ewan ko ba kung ano meron sa kanya at patay na patay ang mga lalaki sa kanya. Dahil sigurado ako pinagsabay niya ang dalawa na 'yan. Pero kita mo naman, ang tanga ng jowa niya, iniwan na nga para sa ibang lalaki, tapos hanggang ngayon parang kawawang aso pa rin na nakabuntot sa kanya."

"Grabe naman..."

"Sayang ang gwapo, no? Nagtanga-tangahan lang. Sigurado naman marami siyang mahahanap na ibang babae diyan. Kaya sure ako na magaling lumuhod si Leah."

"Hoy! Ano ka ba. Boss natin 'yan..."

"Lumuhod at magdasal. Ikaw talaga, green minded..."

The women laughed and Clark back slowly away from the door, turning to get away, far away, not really caring where he ended up.

~

Leah was practically bouncing in excitement inside of the elevator. She couldn't wait to go home with Clark. She spotted him sitting down on the couch in the lobby and made her way towards him.

"Halika na, hubby?" She said.

Clark didn't answer or even look up at her. He was just staring into space, looking lost in thought.

"Hoy Clark!"

He finally looked up.

"Bakit? Ano iniisip mo?"

"Let's go." He stood up and walked away. Leah stared for a few seconds and then jogged to catch up to him.

"Clark, may problema ba?" She asked once they were in the car.

He didn't say anything, just kept his eyes on the road. Leah wondered what had gotten him into this mood. Just thirty minutes ago they were completely fine. He was happy even. She decided to keep quiet for the rest of the car ride and just give him his space to think.

He was still quiet on the way up to their apartment, not even looking at Leah or acknowledging her once and she had reached the end of her patience tether.

"Clark, ano ba?" She asked once they were inside their apartment. "Bakit ka ba ganyan?"

Clark set his things down on his desk and headed towards the door. "I'm going to work downstairs."

"Hindi!" Leah stepped in front of him and blocked the door. "Kausapin mo ako. Ano ba nangyari? Bakit ka ganyan? Kanina lang okay tayo!"

"Get out of the way, Leah."

"May nagawa ba ako?"

"Ayokong pag-usapan," he said in frustration.

"Hindi pwede ayaw mo! Ayan ka nanaman eh. Kung kailan nagiging okay na tayo saka ka nagkakaganyan. Pinaglalaruan mo ba ako?" She demanded.

"Dapat ikaw ang tinatanong ko niyan!" He shot back.

"Ano ba ginawa ko? Bakit ka ba galit sa akin?"

"Sino may sabi galit ako sa iyo?"

"Yan ba ang hindi galit? 'Yan itsura mo na 'yan?" Leah let out a frustrated breath. "Enough of your passive aggressive crap! Diretsuhin mo nga ako. Sabihin mo na kung ano talaga ang nasa isip mo."

Clark stared her down, obviously not willing to talk. He was still aiming to get at the door behind Leah but there was no way she was backing done now. She was not going to go back to zero after all of the progress they had made. Not without at least knowing why.

"Ayaw mo magsalita? Sige, halika dito." She pulled him by the arm.

"Leah..."

She pushed him down onto a chair at the kitchen table. "Umupo ka diyan."

The recycling hadn't been taken out yet and she grabbed an empty wine bottle and sat down across from Clark, placing the bottle lying down at the center of the table. Clark looked down at it and then at her. He started to stand up.

"Umupo ka." Her tone brooked no arguments and Clark knew it. He sat down again.

"Alam mo ang rules nito, diba? Isang tanong, isang sagot. May gusto kang malaman sa akin? Ilabas mo na, wala akong itatago."

Leah spun the bottle. It landed on Clark. He simply stared at it with a scowl on his face.

She had to think for a moment. She had to open this with an easy one. She couldn't just attack him the questions burning in her mind, like what the hell his problem is, because it was a surefire way to make him shut down completely.

"In the last two years...did you go on a date?"

Clark looked back at her, his face defiant. "Leah, this is stupid."

"Sagutin mo ang tanong," she said.

He rolled his eyes.

"Napakadali...yes or no lang!"

"Yes."

Leah told herself that she was prepared for the answer but hearing those three letters still felt like a sucker punch to her stomach.

"Once," Clark clarified. "Almost a year ago or less. I don't know, can't really remember. Angela and Jigs set me up with someone. They said it was time for me to try to move on. I had dinner with this girl, an acquaintance of Angela's from art school..."

Leah closed her eyes. She wasn't ready to hear this.

"She was very nice. And that's it. I never saw or spoke to her again after that."

Leah opened her eyes again and looked at him.

"Is that it?" He started to get up again.

"Turn mo na."

"I don't even want to play this stupid game-"

"Turn mo na sabi!"

Clark spun the bottle and it landed on Leah.

"Ano tanong mo?"

He shrugged. "Same question."

"No."

"Not even once?"

"Kasal pa tayo, diba? Bakit ako makikipag-date sa iba?"

"We were broken up," Clark argued.

"Pero kasal pa rin tayo."

"Sa papel lang."

"Hindi ko pa rin kaya!"

That shut Clark up and he leaned back in his seat. Leah spun the bottle again and it landed on herself.

"Sa loob ng dalawang taon may hinalikan ka ba na iba?" Clark asked.

"Ano bang klaseng tanong 'yan?" Leah asked in irritation.

"This game was your idea. Yes or no."

"Wala ka na bang maisip na mas matinong tanong?"

"Yes or no, Leah."

"No! Syempre wala. Makipag-date nga hindi ko ginawa, makipaghalikan pa kaya? Ano ba iniisip mo sa akin?"

"Kahit si Simon?"

"Hindi! Diba sinabi ko na sa iyo na walang nangyari sa amin ni Simon? Ilang ulit ko ba sasabihin?"

Clark reached over and spun the bottle. It landed on himself.

"Same question," Leah said.

"No," Clark answered easily.

"Kahit doon sa babae na ka-date mo?"

"Nothing happened."

"Bakit?"

He nodded at the bottle. "Only one question. Your turn."

Leah spun the bottle and it landed on Clark.

She smirked at him. "Bakit?"

"Bakit ano?"

"Clark!"

"She wasn't you. Still married or not, it didn't matter. In two years I couldn't look at another woman because none of them were you."

Leah couldn't speak. She couldn't even breathe. Just when she thought she couldn't love Clark more than she already did, he always blindsided her with the depth of his love for her. He loved her far more than she deserved, he always had.

He shook his head. "Siguro nga tama sila...tanga ako."

"Sinong sila?" Leah asked in confusion.

Clark spun the bottle. It landed on Leah.

"Dalawang taon ka linigawan ni Simon. Were you ever tempted to just be with him?"

Leah was about to answer with a definitive no but stopped. Clark was looking at her like he already knew the answer, and perhaps he did. Because he knew her. This game was her idea. And if she wanted to win Clark's trust, she had to be completely honest. Even with herself.

"Oo, naisip ko," she admitted. "Mabait si Simon at mahal niya ako. Sa loob ng dalawang taon naging sandalan ko siya. Naisip ko rin minsan na siguro magiging mas madali ang buhay kung siya na lang. Baka sakaling mawala ang sakit at makalimot na ako..."

The pain in Clark's eyes was evident and Leah hated seeing it there but she had to press on. There were things he had to know, even if it hurt. Maybe that was a mistake they had made in their relationship before. They would rather keep little secrets and tell white lies than hurt each other with the honest truth.

"It's not too late," Clark said. "Simon is just in San Francisco. Malamang naghihintay pa rin. Pwede mo pang balikan."

"Pwede ba patapusin mo muna ako bago ka mag-assume?" Leah said in frustration. "Ang sagot ko sa tanong mo ay oo, naisip ko. Pero hindi ko nagawa. Dahil kahit ano gawin ni Simon, kahit gaano siya kabait, kahit anghel man siya na bumaba sa lupa...Hindi pa rin siya si Clark Medina. At si Clark Medina lang ang mahal ko. Kahit anong gawin ko, ikaw pa rin ang nandito." She put her hand over her heart. "At dito." She pointed to her head. "Ikaw lang ang nakikita ko, ikaw ang nasa panaginip ko. Kahit anong pilit ko sa sarili ko na kalimutan ka, hindi ko magawa. Dahil ikaw lang ang mahal ko."

Clark looked down. They were quiet for a long time and Leah wondered what would happen next. It was his move. She was laying herself bare in front of him. It was up to him to decide if he was still going to accept her or not.

He looked at the bottle. "It's your turn."

Leah sighed. She was starting to hate this game. But it had been her idea, so she spun the bottle. It landed on Clark.

She asked the question that she really wanted to know. "Ano ang nangyari kanina? Bakit biglang naiba ang mood mo?"

"Alam mo ba na usap usapan ka ng mga tao sa opisina mo? Do you even know what they're saying about you?"

"Ha? Ano ba ang sinasabi nila?"

Clark shook his head and stood up. Leah stepped in front of him before he could walk away.

"Teka lang. Normal lang naman ang office gossip. Kung ano man ang sinasabi nila, hindi na ako nagpapadala doon."

"Normal?" He asked incredulously. "That's what you call normal? Sinasabi nila na kaya ka naging ECD dahil may nangyari sa inyo ni Simon. Okay lang na pagisipan ka ng ganoon? At ako ang tanga tangahan mong asawa. Nakakahiya! Kung maririnig mo lang kung paano ka pag-usapan ng mga tauhan mo."

Leah took a step back. Yes, it hurt to know that her own employees could talk about her that way behind her back. But that kind of office gossip had been following her around for more than two years now. The faster she advanced in her career, the more people wanted to pull her down. That was just the nature of office politics. Leah had learned to build a thick skin against it and to not let it affect her as much as it did the first time she had heard malicious gossip about herself and Simon three years ago. But Clark...Clark who ran his own company and was universally loved by his employees...He had no experience with this.

"Pero hindi naman totoo! Clark, alam ko masakit ang mga salita nila pero hindi ako nagpapaapekto dahil alam ko naman na hindi totoo. Wala akong ikinakahiya sa mga ginawa ko para makuha ang posisyon ko. I worked hard and I earned it. 'Yun lang ang totoo, maniwala man sila o hindi."

Clark still tried to walk away and Leah put her hands on his arms to stop him.

"Bakit ka ba sobrang affected? Huwag mo sabihin na naniniwala ka sa kanila?"

He didn't answer.

"Clark!"

He tried to move again and Leah pushed him back, tears spilling out of her eyes. "Ano ba ang kailangan kong gawin, Clark? Ilang beses ko ba sasabihin na ikaw ang mahal ko at hindi si Simon? Nakakapagod na eh. Sobrang sakit. Pero araw araw tinitiis ko dahil gusto ko patunayan sa 'yo na nandito na ako. Hindi na ako susuko at ipaglalaban kita. Pero please naman, huwag mo akong paasahin sa wala. Huwag mong paglaruan ang puso ko. Kung ayaw mo na sa akin, sabihin mo. Palayasin mo ako!" She sobbed. "Kung 'yan ang gusto mo."

Clark stepped back from her and rubbed the tears out of his own eyes. "I don't want to hurt you, Leah. That's the last thing I ever want to do. Hindi ko lang maalis sa isip ko..."

"Ang alin?"

"Dalawang taon mo nakasama si Simon. Leah, do you realize that's longer than the time we were together? Dalawang pasko, dalawang birthday mo, dalawang...Valentine's day...Siya ang nasa tabi mo. Siya ang kasama mo araw araw. Do you know how much that tortures me? That he got to see you and talk to you and make you laugh-"

Leah shook her head in disbelief. "Hindi na maibabalik ang panahon, Clark! Kung maibabalik ko lang sana yung dalawang taon na 'yon, ginawa ko na. Pero imposible. Hindi ba ang importante ay nandito ako ngayon? Nandito ako sa 'yo dahil ikaw ang pinili ko."

"Sa ngayon," Clark said. "You and Simon have history. May mababalikan ka kapag nagbago ang isip mo."

Leah closed her eyes, her frustration reaching its breaking point. "Wala ka bang tiwala sa akin? Hindi ka ba naniniwala sa pagmamahal ko sa 'yo?"

"Bakit ako?" Clark asked brokenly, taking a seat in his chair again. "Bakit hindi na lang siya? Ikaw rin ang nagsabi...mas madali ang buhay mo kung siya ang pipiliin mo. You deserve someone like Simon, Leah. Someone that can give you everything."

And it dawned on her. Leah looked at Clark and she sees the perfect brother, nephew, grandson, boss, friend, husband...perfect in everyone's eyes but his own. Because in his eyes she saw the disappointed 13-year-old boy, badly hurt by his father's rejection. She saw the man who loved a woman and had her yell in his face that her job was more important to her than him. The Clark Medina who loved with all of his heart, and believed himself unworthy of being loved in return. How could she have not seen it before?

"Sa tingin mo ba ganoon ka lang kadali palitan?" She asked.

"Oo! Bakit hindi? He has everything! He's everything I'm not! Hindi ba? Si Simon ang pinakamagaling, si Simon ang nagbago ng buhay mo. Si Simon ang nakahanap ng paraan para sa operasyon ng Tatang mo. With Simon you became this..." He gestured to her. "This sophisticated, confident, successful Leah. I was just holding you back. Maybe he was right. Maybe if we had stayed together you wouldn't be happy now."

"Hindi totoo 'yan!" Leah's voice was thick with her tears. "Sa lahat ng sinabi mo, walang totoo diyan. Ganyan lang ba ang tingin mo sa sarili mo? Dahil kahit kailan hindi ko inisp sa 'yo ang mga sinabi mo. Sobrang perfect mo para sa akin, Clark. Kung alam mo lang. Alam ko na walang taong perpekto, pero ikaw ang pinakamalapit na nakikita ko sa mundo na 'to. Ikaw yung tao na hindi ko maabot. At confident ka, matalino, madiskarte sa buhay...hindi ko alam na nagiisip ka ng ganyan sa sarili mo. I'm sorry, Clark. Dapat nakita ko. Dapat walang araw na dumaan na hindi ko pinadarama sa iyo kung gaano ka ka-importante sa buhay ko. Doon ako nagkulang and I'm sorry. Kahit kailan hindi kita kinumpera kay Simon, at kung gawin ko man 'yon? Walang kalaban laban si Simon sa iyo. Sa hubby ko pa? Sa Clark na sobrang mahal ko?"

Leah walked over and cupped his face in her hands, tilting his chin up to look at her and wiping away the tears on his cheeks with her thumbs.

"Si Simon man o si Johnny Depp o si Prince William ay walang laban sa iyo sa gwapo, sa talino, at pinakamahalaga...sa puso. Sa pagmamahal para sa pamilya, sa tiyaga at sipag para ibuhay sila, sa bait sa lahat ng kapwa tao...ikaw ang panalo. Yan ang nasa puso at isip ko noon pa man hanggang ngayon."

Clark closed his eyes and leaned his head against her hand, just taking her in and her words. They stayed that way for few a minutes, with Leah gently running her hand through his hair.

"Okay na?" She asked gently. "Wala ka ng tanong?"

He opened his eyes. "Meron pa. There's one thing that I haven't been able to get out my head in two years. What happened when Simon took you to bed?"

Leah dropped her hands and stepped away from him. "Ano??"

"I heard you, Leah. It was right after we broke up. Tumawag ka sa akin at boses ni Simon ang narinig ko. Sabi niya, 'Let's get you to bed.'"

"Hindi ko alam ang sinasabi mo."

"Akala ko ba nagsasabi tayo ng totoo?" He demanded.

"Yun nga ang totoo! Kahit kailan hindi ako dinala sa kama ni Simon!" And then she remembered. She knew what he was talking about. "Naaalala ko na. Lasing ako..."

Clark looked like he was going to be sick. "So something did happen."

"Hindi! Walang nangyari. Naglasing ako dahil sobrang depressed ako noon tapos nakita ko pa ang picture niyo ni Angela sa Facegram. Inuwi ako ni Simon, dinala sa kwarto ko, tapos wala na. Sa sala siya natulog. 'Yun lang ang nangyari. Kaya pwede ba, huwag ka mag-isip ng kung ano. Nakakainsulto 'yan eh. Kilala mo ako, Clark! Alam mo hindi ako ganoon tao. Bakit ko ibibigay sa iba ang dapat para sa asawa ko lang?"

"It's haunted my nightmares. Two years, Leah. Two years I imagined you with him. In my mind all I could see is you kissing him like you used to kiss me, cooking for him, caring for him, being with him...When I saw you with him in San Francisco, it was like every thought, every nightmare I had come true. Two years later and he's the one by your side."

"Oo kasama ko si Simon. Pero sa trabaho lang. Dalawang taon at ikaw lang ang nasa puso ko. Dalawang taon at ikaw pa rin ang iniisip ko. I've never cooked for Simon. I've never taken care of Simon the way I did you. And I never...never kissed him. Ganito ba?" She leaned down and kissed his forehead. "Ikaw lang ang hahalikan ko ng ganito." She kissed both of his cheeks and then leaned back to look at him.

Leah made her decision right then and there. She straddled Clark's lap, pinning him back to the chair. "Ikaw lang, Clark..." She kissed him, their lips crashing together hard. Her hands were in his hair, his hands roamed up and down her back. They haven't kissed like this since Tahoe and God, did she miss it. She missed him.

Clark pulled away, gasping for air. He leaned his forehead against hers. They stayed that way for a minute, panting as their lungs recovered from the temporary oxygen deprivation, and just breathed each other in.

"One more question," Clark said.

Leah frowned and leaned back. "Meron pa?"

"What would have happened if we hadn't been interrupted in Tahoe?"

She blushed and looked down, though right now straddling Clark's lap, their chests pressed together, wasn't really the time to be modest.

"Leah..." Clark gently pushed her hair back behind her ear and brought her gaze up to meet his. "Would you have let me make love to you?"

She didn't even have to think about it, she just nodded. "Yes, Clark. It's you. Only you." She kissed him. "Always you."

He kissed her gently, gratefully...with a tenderness that brought tears to Leah's eyes. "Will you let me make love to you now?" He murmured against her lips.

Without any doubts or hesitation, Leah nodded. "Yes, my Clark. Yes."

He kissed her with a passion that made her core ache. She could feel him hard against her and she centered herself on his lap so that she was rubbing against him. Clark groaned into her mouth. His right hand slid beneath her shirt to cup her breast, the other hand clutched the back of her head, keeping it in place against his lips. Leah lifted his shirt, her hands wandering up and down his wonderfully muscular, toned chest.

She was losing her breath again but she wouldn't separate her mouth from his for anything, their tongues tangling together. Leah was starting to feel a little lightheaded and dizzy, not sure if it was the lack of oxygen or simply Clark's presence. There was a ringing sound and it took a minute for Leah to process that it wasn't coming from inside her head but outside of it. Clark pulled away from her reluctantly. The ringing was his cellphone.

He looked at her and they didn't need to speak in order to mutually agree to ignore it. The ringing stopped. They were just leaning in again, their lips only millimeters away from each other when the ringing started up again, loud and insistent.

Clark sighed. He looked at Leah again and she nodded. He pulled his phone out of his back pocket and frowned when he saw the caller id. "It's Jordan," he said.

Leah stood up from his lap as he answered the call, her body already protesting the loss of him.

"Hello, Jordan?" He said. "What's wrong? Anong ibig mong sabihin nawawala?" He looked up at Leah, panicked. "Tinawagan mo ba ang mga kaibigan niya? Bakit siya maglalayas, may nangyari ba? Sige, sige...pupunta na ako. I'm on my way."

Clark stood up, searching frantically for his keys until he found them just sitting on the coffee table.

"Clark, bakit? Ano nangyari?" Leah asked, dread forming in the pit of her stomach.

"We have to go right now. Jenny's missing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.2K 214 27
[Filipino] Kung may best friend kang kamukhang-kamukha ng boyfriend mong saksakan ng pogi, kakayanin mo kaya? At pa'no kung ang best friend mong gwap...
75.5K 1.2K 75
Apat na taon ng kasal si Shu sa isang lalaking ni minsan ay hindi pa niya nakikita o narinig manlang ang boses. Palibhasa ay hindi naman siya dapat a...
274K 2.8K 13
BA01 | Beaumont Series | Book One Beaumont Academy's Elite Eight are in their senior year - the final year of grooming to take over their family emp...
660K 23.5K 33
(Game Series # 10) Tali coursed through life with ease. Coming from a family full of lawyers, she knew that getting a job would not be a problem. Kai...