Best-Friends With Benefits (U...

By Prodigywriter9638

Conner Rogers: Hot, athletic, and popular, with an ego the size of the Empire State Building. Selena Rider: C... More

Best-Friends With Benefits
Chapter 1- Wake-up Call
Chapter 2- Catch Me If You Can
Chapter 3- New Guy
Chapter 4- Caught in the Act
Chapter 6- Out of the Loop
Chapter 7- Complications
Chapter 8- Unexpected Visitors
Chapter 9- The Young and the Restless
Chapter 10- The Trouble with Family
Chapter 11- My Date with the British Devil
Chapter 12- What to do, What to do......
Chapter 13- Poptarts, Golfcarts, and The Notebook
Chapter 14- Back Behind Bars
Chapter 15- The Talk
Chapter 16- Mentally Insane
Chapter 17- Life of the Party
Chapter 18- You Only Live Once
Chapter 19- Just Another Day in the Hospital
Chapter 20- I Guess One Really Is the Loneliest Number
Chapter 21- Isolation
Authors Note!
Chapter 22- Frozen
Chapter 23- Confessions
Chapter 24- Awkward Moments
Chapter 25- Exposed
Chapter 26- The Homecoming
Authors note!
Chapter 27- Business as Usual
Chapter 28- Date Disasters
Chapter 29- Double Trouble
Chapter 30- Jaw-Dropper
Chapter 31- The Intruder
Chapter 32- Pissing Off Your Sister 101
Chapter 33- Scars
Chapter 34- How To Guard a Life for Dummies
Chapter 35- Irony
Chapter 36- Slut City
Chapter 37- Cat Fight
Chapter 38- Tension
Chapter 39- Chain Reaction
Chapter 40- This Means War
Chapter 41- Time's Up
Chapter 42- Breaking Point
Chapter 43- Fear Factor
Chapter 44- Fated
Chapter 45- The Final Hour
Chapter 46- Live and Let Go
Chapter 47- The Rescue Mission
Chapter 48- End of the Line
Sequel Announcement!

Chapter 5- Cover Story

638K 9.5K 2.7K
By Prodigywriter9638

I was honestly dreading going back to school on Monday.

So much, in fact, that I had created this list and taped it on the front of the refrigerator for my parents to read.

Top 10 List Of Reasons Why I Do Not Want To Attend School Today:

1.) It's boring

2.) It requires me to wake up before noon

3.) They won't let me wear my pj's to school

4.) Almost the entire student body drools over my best friend

5.) Possible black mail opportunities are set against me (I didn't specify, of course.)

6.) I don't want to

7.) If you were good parents, you would support my decision to not attend school

8.) I could learn just as much from surfing the Internet and watching TV

9.) If I go to school, then they'll assign me homework

And 10.) I don't want to

Childish, I know. But they gave me no other option.

Unfortunately, my notice was vetoed, via garbage can.

I glared at the back of her head as my mom walked out of the kitchen, unaffected by my revolutionary logic. I marched back over to the trashcan, carefully picking out my crumpled up list and straightening it out again.

I didn't notice Conner walk up behind me until his arms were wrapped around my waist.

He looked over my shoulder at my note, a smile spreading across his lips.

"Using the straight forward approach, are we? Well sorry to say, it hasn't work out for me. And judging from the ketchup stains on you letter, I'm guessing that you can relate."

I sighed, leaning back into him and trying not to imagine where I'd be in twenty minutes.

He gave me a cocky smile, and I knew that he hadn't overlooked the part of my note involving him.

"Everyone at school drools over me?" His green eyes twinkled.

"Only the stupid ones. Which is, almost everyone." I teased.

He put on his pouty face, leaning over to whisper in my ear. "You don't think I'm hot?"

I tried to look thoughtful, though the giggling probably ruined the effect.

"Hmmmm.... Nope."

He laughed softly in my ear, sending shivers down my back.

"Then why do you keep sleeping with me?"

I looked around, making sure the house was empty before replying. My mom had just left for a doctors appointment, and I knew my dad had rushed to the office early this morning, so I was in luck.

"Cause if I don't, who will?" I instantly knew that it was an unplausible lie, since most girls my age already want to screw him.

"Lot's of people." He defended himself. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Crazy people." I muttered, just loud enough for him to hear. I broke off from his embrace and made my way upstairs to finish getting ready for priso- I mean, high school.

As I climbed the stairs, I heard him call after me. "Well then, why do you sleep with me?"

I turned my head back to look at him, rolling my eyes in a way that implied duh. "I never said that I wasn't crazy!"

And with that, I made my way to my room, leaving him standing there, staring after me, with an intrigued look on his face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Come on Selena! Get your pretty little ass down here! We're going to be late!"

"Hold your horses!" I mumbled to myself, even though there was no way he could hear me.

I rushed down the stairs, attempting to brush my hair and put on my shoes at the same time. This of course, resulted in me tumbling down the stairs and landing in a heap at Conner's feet,

I groaned into the carpet, not really wanting to get up.

"Oh S, what am I going to do with you?" I heard Conner sigh, before he leaned over to pick me up and sling me over his shoulder. And for once, I couldn't find the willpower to protest as he carried me to his car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

First period has just started, and I was already more bored than I had believed possible.

You have no idea. I was sooo bored, that I had forgotten what class I was in.

I felt Lilly poke my side. "You've been awfully quiet." She whispered to me when the teachers back was turned.

I shrugged, trying my best to look casual. "Just super bored, I guess." I lied. Truthfully, I was just longing to get back home and hangout with Conner, but she didn't need to know that. But unfortunately for me, Lilly was brighter than she looked.

She pushed a strand of black and blond hair from her face, glancing back at me with her narrowed dark eyes. "Liar."

Shit.

The bell rang, and I sprung out of my seat, anxious to get away from my friends, who could see through my lying. Right before I left, I turned back to look at them. Alex gave Lilly a confused look, her neon orange dress swishing as she stood to leave.

And worst yet, Lilly had a determined look in her eye, and I instantly knew that she was going to try to figure out why I was lying, if it killed her.

Shit shit shit shit.

I whipped out my phone as I speed walked down the hall, sending Conner a quick text expressing my thoughts.

Con! Shit shit shit shit shit! Skip 2nd, and meet at monkey bars!

-S

As I hurried to the front entrance, I could hear Lilly and Alex call after me.

S- You sound exited. B there in 2

-Con

"Ohhhh Sellliii! Where are you? We just wanna talk Seli!" Great! They haven't spotted me yet. And they wouldn't until lunch, because I was already out the door and rushing across the street by the time the bell rang again.

I walked to the park across the street from school, hurriedly rushing towards the playground. I slid off my backpack onto the ground, and climbed on top of the monkey bars. After I was settled, and sure I wasn't going to fall off, I waited. Soon enough, I could see Conner's outline heading towards me.

When he had climbed up beside me, panting from jogging all the way here, he pulled out an apple from his lunch bag and munched into it contently.

With a mouthful of fruit, he finally spoke. "So." Munch munch munch. "What seems to be the problem?"

"They're on to us."

He froze mid-chew for a couple seconds, instantly knowing what I meant. Then, he continued to slowly chew, a worried frown on his face. Munch munch munch. "Shit."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"They know I've been lying Con! They know somethings going on between us! They're not blind!"

Munch munch munch.

I grabbed his half-eaten apple from his mouth and chucked it across the park. It flew for a second, before bouncing off of the slide and thumping into the dirt.

Conner looked at his hand like a child who had dropped his ice cream cone. "That was my apple."

I threw my arms above my head in exasperation. "I'll get you a new apple! Now focus!'

"Fine." He replied, looking a little sad. "Just tell them..............." He snapped his fingers when the idea hit him. "Oh I know! So earlier this morning I was thinking about what would happen if we did get caught, and I had an idea!"

"Did it hurt?"

He gave me a dry look. "Haha. But seriously, I think it could actually work!"

With a suspicious look, I allowed him to tell me his 'brilliant plan'. I grudgingly agreed, seeing no better option. This could work.

The bell ending third period rang as we stood up. I reached into my bag and pulled out my apple, handing it over to Conner. His face lit up like a lightblub, as he snatched it exitedly from my hand and dug into it.

I laughed as we walked back together. One of his hands was holding his apple up for him to munch some more, and the other was holding mine.

Just two best friends, holding hands and laughing care freely like they were six again.

Where no one else would watch them and judge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the time Conner and I walked into the courtyard, not holding hands, the place was already packed with kids. We walked over to the tree we ate lunch at, where Alex and Lilly were already waiting expectantly with their arms crossed.

When we stopped in front of them, Alex spoke. "Conner? Do you mind leaving? Just for today. We just want to have a chat with Seli, here."

Conner looked conflicted for a moment, but after I reached over to secretly squeeze his hand, he nodded. "Sure thing girls. I'll just go sit with the team." He shot me a glance that said, good luck, before turning to head to the table packed with soccer players. I grimaced as dozens of girls sighed longingly as he walked by, completely oblivious to them.

Turning back to the girls, I sat down between them, nervously digging in my bag for my sandwich.

"Ok, what's up?" Alex asked, arms still crossed.

"What do you mean?" Wow I'm a bad liar.

"You are the worst liar on the planet." Lilly stated. "Now seriously, what's up with you and Mr. hot ass over there?" She pointed a finger over to where Conner was sitting with his teammates, and I had to smile at their nickname for Conner whenever he wasn't around.

I sighed, trying desperately to channel my inner actress and look defeated.

"Fine, you got me." I sighed again, glancing to where Conner was sitting, laughing with the jocks, before going on.

"We did? I mean, we did!" Alex's face lit up.

Lilly gave her a dry look. "Very subtle Alex."

"Are you two dating or something?" Alex asked excitedly, ignoring Lilly.

"NO!" I shouted, earning a few curious glares from neighboring students. They were getting a little to close to the truth for my liking.

"Then what is it?!" Lilly pressed. "You've been distracted lately, and attached at the hip with Conner even more than usual! What's going on with you guys?"

I took a deep breath, preparing myself to say it. The game changer. The thing that would shock everyone. The thing that would change, everything. But hopefully, it would turn out better than being discovered as being friends with benefits.

"I''m in love with Conner."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Snatched By Maggs

Short Story

44.2K 1.6K 15
I'm not usually the type to make a rash decision. I'm the one that usually sits back and laughs my head off at the stupidity of today's generation...
436K 11.5K 51
Every woman's fantasy is to be married with someone they love someday. Most women are excited and ecstatic when planning their marriage ceremony with...
339K 9.4K 83
"How many romance books do you read?" Devin asks me. I shrug. "I like them," I say. I keep browsing, running my fingers along the spines. "...
555K 23K 60
~ Past separated them, now pain will bring them together.~ A teenager Sofia Hayden, experiencing her falling apart family isolated herself slowly fro...