Dugout Girl

By pilms_4

Twenty year old Lucy Martin has been proving herself to the MLB world. Being the younger sister of Russell Ma... More

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Epilogue

Chapter One

13.4K 112 19
By pilms_4

I grabbed a cup of coffee and went to the dugout and overlooked the field. This team was my life. The past two years I have devoted my time to the Toronto Blue Jays and it was paying off.

My name was becoming familiar in the MLB community, and I have been offered many positions on many teams, but nothing will ever compare to my co-manager position with Gibby.

John Gibbons was a quiet man. Believe it or not he is. And but he has the best guidance when it comes to baseball. And he can give a nasty remark to the umpires every once in a while.

I loved being co-manager, I got to help make the lineups, I got to work with the guys and most importantly, my favourite sport was my career. I may not be playing but I sure have some fun with these guys.

"Hey Lucy! Come bat with us," Josh Donaldson yelled from the field.

I grabbed my bat and helmet and bounded up the steps and over to the batting cages.

"Alright Martin, let's see what you got," Josh challenged.

Jason Grilli threw a pitch right down the middle of the zone and I swung my bat, with my follow through bellow my shoulders. And all I heard was the crack of my bat as I watched the ball fly across the field and over the wall. Homerun for Martin.

I ran out of the batting cage and ran the bases, just like the professionals do and when my feet touched home plate, I ran over to the dugout where everyone gave me high fives, just like a normal game. I even did the flex with Ryan Goins.

My hand tingled after it touched his, but I ignored it because I didn't want to make my feelings for him completely obvious.

|||||||||

I gathered up the guys in the clubhouse and told them the lineup.

"Leading off we have Bats, then Saunders and Edwin. Hitting cleanup we have Justin. Fifth through ninth we have, Devon, Martin, Pillar, Barney and Ryan. ARE WE READY TO KICK SOME RED SOX ASS!" I chanted.

There was a chorus of cheers so I assumed they were ready. "JAYS ON THREE! ONE TWO THREE JAYS!" we all said in unison. It was a basic cheer but it got the boys going.

"Let's go boys!" I yelled as I started running through the tunnel to the dugout.

"Alright Michael is on deck, Bats is batting, Edwin, be ready," I said in my manager voice. I like using my manager voice.

Jose struck out and so did Michael. And Edwin hit a pop fly so it was a three up three down inning.

"Alright Stro, go out there, keep good command on your ball, you go out there and do your thing," I told him giving him a mini pep talk.

He nodded and took his spot on the mound. He threw a perfect inning. Three up three down.

"Alright, ready to go Jus?" I asked using the nickname I gave him.

"Yep ready to go," he said.

"Alright Devon, on deck pronto. And Russ, be ready," I loved my job because I could boss my older brother around.

Another three up three down inning, and I sent Marcus back out to the mound.

He decided to pitch to David Ortiz and he got a double. Then the batter behind him hit a double and a run scored.

"Damn," I mumbled.

Then Marcus got his command back and struck out the next three batters, and I let our a breath I didn't know I was holding.

He came bouncing back into the dugout and I high fived him. "You did good Stro, but can I make one suggestion? Just walk Ortiz. He's going to hit the ball, no matter what pitch you give him. And maybe the bases will be loaded, and he gets up and hits a grand slam, we definitely don't want that. Just talk it over with Russell and see what he says."

"Sure thing Lucy," he said and went to rest up his arm.

"Goins, be ready, because after Pillar you're on deck," I said never taking my eyes off of Kevin.

"Sure thing Luce," he said. This caught my attention because he never calls me Luce. It's usually only ever Russell. I could feel my face getting hot too, oh god this was embarrassing.

I turned and round and grabbed my glass of Biosteel and topped it off with cold stuff. I took a drink and hoped to God that my face wasn't beet red when Ryan walked by.

Kevin popped a fly ball to centre field and was out. Darwin got a double and then Ryan grounded out into a double play and the inning was over.

After the third inning the Red Sox took a commanding three to nothing lead, and we were headed to the top of the fourth.

Jose got walked and Saunders and Edwin both popped the ball which allowed Bats to advance to third. It was up to Justin to score the run.

And Justin ripped a single into right field and Jose scored. High fives were given all through the dugout.

Then Devon got up and got a single and then Russell was up. He dissapointingly struck out as we stranded the tieing runs on base. We were going to the bottom of the fourth. Which was another great performance by Marcus except one run scored.

Now it was the top of the fifth and before I sent out Kevin to bat I give them all a pep talk. It pumped them up alright.

Kev struck out and Darwin pop flyed but Ryan and Jose got on base, and with two outs Michael Saunders hit a triple and the two boys came home.

We were within one going to the bottom of the fifth. Which the damn Sox scored another run. We were trailing by two going into the sixth and I wanted to yell at these boys so bad, but I kept my cool.

Then Kevin Pillar did what I wanted him to do, he drove in Devon Travis and the boys were back in it.

"Atta boy Kev!" I yelled giving him the stir it up signal.

Sadly Darwin struck out but we were doing great.

During the bottom of the sixth I pulled Marcus out after giving up one run. I walked out to the mound and took the ball from him and told him how good of a game he was having.

I decided to bring in Jesse Chavez because I like the way he pitched in high strung games like this one.

I told the guys to step up the defense a little but and to keep their heads in the game.

Jesse did good and pitched the next three outs.

"Good job Jesse," I said when he came in the dugout.

The Jays couldn't score two runs to tie the game so we lost six to four.

"Everyone! Meeting in the clubhouse pronto," I said turning and walking down the tunnel.

Once everyone was gathered in the dugout, I gave them the spiel about how they played good and how they gave it their all.

"And depending on how he feels, JD could be back in the lineup. And everyone dinner's on me tonight at Family Restaurant!"

The guys cheered because Family Restaurant was our favourite restaurant in Toronto.

We all piled on the bus and the guys thought that they'd take a jab at me, courtesy of big brother Russell.

"So Lucy, who's the special guy who has won over your heart?" Josh asked.

"Oh please I'm single as a Pringle," I said throwing my head back with laughter.

"Who do you like?" He pushed.

"That's for me to know. Not you."

"Oh come on Lucy, you can tell me anything!" He exclaimed.

So I leaned into his ear like I was going to whisper who I liked, and belched in his ear.

"Oh my god you did not just burp in my ear!" He cried out.

I started laughing my ass off as everyone stared at us.

"I can't believe that you were stupid enough to fall for that one!" I said cackling.

"Yeah and just for that I have a challenge," he said smirking. "The whole team will come together and we will try to guess who you like. And if we get it right, beer and cigars on you, and if we get it wrong, which I highly doubt that because it's so freaking obvious, you get to do pick your poison and do whatever to us."

"Deal," I said shaking his hand.

"I knew you would fall for it, you just wait we'll win don't you worry. I can taste the beer and smell the cigars already," he said closing his eyes.

"Oh I wouldn't be so sure about that you cocky little bastard," I said slinking across the Isle and sitting beside him, putting my hand on his leg. I was trying to create and illusion that I liked him and not Ryan. And to be honest I didn't think I was being that obvious. But then again I had been acting weird around him lately.

|||||||||

We got to the restaurant and we all filed into the huge room that we always had reserved.

I sat across from Ryan and beside Josh and Jose. This was going to be entertaining.

Then Josh stood up, "Everyone! Can I have your attention! If you didn't hear about it on the bus, we have been challenged by one of our dear managers Lucy. She told me that the whole team must get together and see if they can guess who she likes, and guess what! If we get it right we get beer and cigars and if we get it wrong? Well that's for Lucy to decide what to do to us. But it's so damn obvious how could we not get it wrong!"

When he sat down I whispered, "Um, actually it's not that obvious, you just think it is."

"Whatever you say Lucy," he said as our food arrived.

Ryan dropped his fork, and he crawled underneath the table, and then I felt his hand on my foot. I tried not to freak out as I felt him slip something in my cleat.

When he sat down again I was extremely flustered and I could feel my face heating up.

"I'll be back," I said as I stood up and went to the bathroom.

I locked the stall and pulled the paper out of the shoe.

I almost threw up when I read the note.

Meet me at one am in the common room

My heart fluttered in my chest as I unlocked the stall and splashed water on my face. I couldn't believe this was happening. But what if it wasn't about my feelings towards him. What if it was something else?

I pushed my thoughts aside as I sat back down at the table. Ryans eyes were on me and I gave a small nod to say yes I would meet him.

I could hardly finish my meal because I was just so excited and nervous. I wouldn't mess this up, I had to act somewhat normal and professional. Because even if we started dating, it'd be weird because my job is basically bossing him around.

I hope this goes well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 619 28
[COMPLETED] When Angeline married Nathan Snyder, it was supposed to give her the perfect life. Her dream was shattered the first time her husband lai...
241K 14.4K 65
Tommy Sallow is onto better and brighter things. After working a small hometown beat in upstate New York, he's finally in sunny California. As expect...
459K 9.3K 59
#1 in youngadult as of December 2018 NEW VERSION on my profile, now COMPLETE!!! This story is super cringey and the new version is way better, so ple...
8.1K 174 38
With her nose in books and his brawn getting him nowhere on or off the ice, they find themselves drawn together, sharing their baggage and behaving b...