Winds of Change

By CRGangell

{Book 8 of the Twists of Fate Series} Alanna and Tarval return to Sogol and eagerly await the birth of their... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18

Chapter 4

78.9K 991 283
By CRGangell

© CRGangell aka Whitesabretooth

Hi everyone,

Here you all go, the eagerly awaited chapter 4 of Winds of Change. As always thanks goes to my editor and you the reader as well as everyone who followed me here from lit.

So please, comment, vote and have fun.

Chapter 4

“Let me guess… the dragons are coming.” Alanna said with a sigh. It wasn’t the best timing, in fact the timing sucked but sometimes that happened.

“Yep,” Dominic replied as he went to head off the group.

Alanna turned to study the group of men who were approaching them. At first glance she may have mistaken them for Da’Vaila as they were as tall as any Da’Vaila she knew and had the dark colouration of a Gephalim. However on a closer look she noticed that the parts of the wings she could see weren’t covered with feathers, but skin; and some had quite bright colours. Dextrous tails could be seen and seemed to move as if they had a mind of their own. The men seemed leaner, although no less strong, with more angular facial features. As they got closer the eyes became more visible and were un-nerving to watch.

Alanna was used to seeing eyes which didn’t have whites but in fact were black, Destiny and Crystal’s eyes were always the first to change but she wasn’t used to golden irises with slits for pupils.

“Go, I will look after him,” Tarval told her.

Alanna nodded and joined the group formed as the three men came to a stop before Dominic. Alanna couldn’t help but stare, as she took in the men. When she realised she was staring she bowed her head, “forgive my boldness.”

“It is no offense,” the man in the middle said, his voice was deep, which rumbled and cracked like an avalanche. “I am Dante Rock-fall.”

“Alanna White-feather, although I am more commonly known as Alanna Brave-heart here,” Alanna said as she held out her hand to Dante.

The three men looked at her extended hand as if they didn’t know what it meant. Alanna waited several moments but when it became apparent they weren’t going to take her hand she let it fall back to her side and glanced to Dominic for an idea as to what to do next.

“Yes…” the man to the right said, “your name and your deeds have reached even us in the fire heights.” His voice seemed to sing and echo in a way that called to Alanna’s wolf. “I am Draco Moon-wing, what was that thing you did with your hand?” he asked.

“A way of greeting that comes from earth.” Alanna explained and Draco nodded.

“You will have to forgive our manners, something came up and we were placed in charge of some young.” Dominic explained.

“It doesn’t matter,” the third man said and as a group they turned and left.

Alanna turned to Dominic, “Did… I… do something wrong?” She had actually met a lot of ambassadors and gone to a lot of state functions at her mother’s request and nothing like that had ever happened before.

Dominic grinned but shook his head, “that was how my first meeting went. Like you I thought I had stuffed up until they came to the markets when they were next at my keep expecting to trade. We quickly made room for them and they come back each time the markets are held Phoenix keep.” He explained, “I think the only reason they came here today was to meet you, they didn’t lie when they said your deeds had reached their home. They have always asked after you and when you came back I sent Remus with a message telling them you were back.”

They turned and started to walk back to the boys, “Besides I deal mainly with a Dragon called Thor, he is a very different dragon, very relaxed; he does most of the trading. The other dragons just stand around looking grumpy.”

“When does Phoenix Keep next hold the markets?” Alanna asked.

“Eight weeks,” Dominic answered. “Let’s get these guys to the keep, Sage and I will come back to get the others.”

“What will we do with them?” Alanna asked.

Dominic grinned, “The non-breeding pairs have first choice on the boys. I doubt that any of the boys will be without a family for more than a few minutes. Regardless of the fact they are Gephalim.”

“They will need special care,” Alanna added already starting to think about what would have to be done.

“And you are in charge of their treatment. You have the afternoons free, you can start there, one of their foster parents will be with them at all times.” Dominic explained.

“For the first few days they need to be kept with both parents to build trust.” Alanna corrected.

Dominic nodded; he accepted her expertise in this area even if her expertise was born from harsh self-experience.

“I would like to speak with all the foster parents while the boys are getting looked at by the healers. Explain a few things to them, what to look out for, what to ignore.” Alanna explained.

Susan turned to them as she had heard the last part. “I will look the boys over, I am so glad Rhun managed to convert a bio-bed.”

Alanna grinned, “you and Nathanael have way too much fun with Ancient medical technology.”

“What’s a bio-bed?” Dominic asked.

“It is a bed which does real time scanning, x-rays, MRI’s, cat scans, only a thousand times better than anything in the medical industry currently on earth. Rhun lets us play with it because we are immortal and live at the manor.” Susan explained.

“So you’ll scan them all?” Alanna asked.

Susan nodded, “best way to learn what’s been done to them.” She turned to the little boy that was still in her arms, “but trust me, it doesn’t hurt, it doesn’t even tickle.” She told him.

“Now boys… ” Alanna said gaining their attention. “We are going to go the easy way, don’t be frightened.” She told them as she spread her will out over the boys, “are you coming Michelle?” Alanna asked.

“Not this time… but I will see you soon,” Michelle said as she stepped away from the group.

When Alanna was confident that she had everyone she focused on Sage back at the keep and willed them all to appear near her.

The boys glanced around in shock at the sudden change and started to cluster in on each other. Clustering which became more frantic as they noticed a group of adults approaching.

“Boys… you are safe, I will not let anyone harm you here.” Dominic told the boys, “I give you my word,” he added. “Now, I don’t employ a ward system here, never have, never will. Which means you will be placed with families and you will become their fosterlings.” He gestured to the pairs to come forward.

Jewel and Travis were in the group and as they approached the group they zeroed in on the boy with the bad arm. Dominic hadn’t been lying, every boy had been snapped up suggest rephrase with some couples left over. Even the pairs who hadn't felt a pull to a boy weren't disappointed as they had had one chance, and knew they would have another soon enough and even the pairs who came but hadn’t felt a pull to a boy weren’t disappointed. They had a chance and knew they would have other chances soon enough.

Once every boy was with a pair Dominic nodded, he liked who the boys had as their foster parents, all were some of his best warriors but they were also some of Dominic’s most gentle and caring men. The women were just as important, all were strong willed and wouldn’t put up with too many bad habits but they would also care for the boys as if they had given birth to them.

“Susan would like to give them all a physical and have their wings looked at, while that is happening Alanna would like chat to you.” Dominic explained.

Everyone nodded and herded the boys to the clinic and to Susan’s rooms with all her devices. Everyone had snuck a peak at Susan’s rooms when she wasn’t around and everything that was in it. They didn’t know what the devices did or how they worked, but from the few people the devices had been used on, they were welcome.

“Okay boys come with me… John… can you come and look at their wings.” Susan said as she spotted one of Ken’s healers, together they ushered the boys into the room and closed the door.

“What happened to them?” A man asked.

“Sage said they were abused… what kind?” The woman beside the man added.

“Nhai, Viola… ” Dominic said mainly for Alanna’s benefit so that she would know the people around her.

“The worst kind of abuse,” Alanna said finally answering their question.

“Those responsible are being castrated and banished. They won’t have an easy time as outcasts… all are inactive warriors.” Dominic said quickly to diffuse the outrage, already the foster parents considered the boys as being theirs and harm on them HAD to be dealt with.

Dominic waited until the new parents calmed, “for the next two weeks you are all relieved of your duties, Alanna would like you to use that time to gain the boys trust.” Dominic said before he turned to Alanna.

“Okay, there are things I need you to be aware of when you deal with the boys. Be firm with them but be fair, set simple rules that you both are comfortable with.” Alanna started.

“Surely what the boys need is tender loving care,” a woman said.

“Kayla,” Dominic supplied to Alanna.

“Kayla these boys have been conditioned to obey and to not think for themselves. Being firm but fair will allow them to think and to reason, to unlearn what they were conditioned to do in the Ward. By setting rules you are telling them instantly what you consider correct behaviour.” Alanna explained.

“What kind of rules?” A new man said.

“Gill,” Dominic again supplied.

“Keep them simple, when you ask a question he must answer it. He must make his bed and keep his room tidy.” Alanna supplied.

“Surely we can keep his room clean and make his bed,” Gill’s mate said.

“Actually… no you can’t,” Alanna said firmly, “see their room is their private space, their sanctuary. They have to know that they are in control of that space. Always ask for permission to enter, the men should never go in their rooms without their mate present and even then you shouldn’t go more than two steps into the room.”

“Alanna speaks the truth,” Jewel added, “I didn’t like people coming into my room for a very long time.”

“But you also need them to know there are consequences for not following the rules, striking however isn’t going to work, deny them something they like to do.” Alanna continued with a small smile at Jewel. “Now at meals you have to let them know it is okay not to finish everything, and don’t be surprised if they try to hoard food.”

“I’m Jack, what do you mean by hoard food?” Jack said introducing himself before Dominic could.

“If they don’t see you looking they’ll hide food on their bodies and hide it in their rooms. Easy way to combat that is to have a bowl of fruit in their room, eventually they should grow out of it.” Alanna finished.

“What will we do during these two weeks?” Travis asked.

“In the mornings I want you to bring them to the battle school, let them see how we train our boys and how we discipline them. After the midday meal bring them to the grassed area on the far side of the lake. There we will talk, play and swim, I know Susan will want to do Hydro therapy on a few of them.” Alanna explained.

“Since we’ll be at the battle school… any chance of learning a few hand fighting techniques?” A man said with an excited smile on his face. His excitement was also in the faces of the other men, they would love to learn hand fighting and since the boys were learning it they would all be students and know no better.

“And won’t letting the boys learn hand fighting build their confidence?” The excited man’s mate added.

“Kimberly and Brian,” Dominic supplied.

“It will build their confidence,” Alanna agreed, “not sure I want them learning straight away, let me think about it.” Alanna said, she was actually thinking along those lines but mixing the boys in with the battle school students might cause ripples as these boys would be going home at night while the others were restricted to the battle school, unless she came up with something to negate the resentment.

“For the moment that is about all you need to know but if you have any problems or questions come to me.” Alanna finished.

John walked out of the medical rooms leading most of the boys, “all have minor wing damage,” John explained to the new parents, “Although… I think the way Susan wants to treat the damage is going to work, there should be no lasting damage to limit them in the future.”

The parents gathered their boys to them then started to walk them to the store master. Dominic took responsibility for everyone in his keep, he made sure they were clothed, fed and had a home. He only took care of basic needs, if they wanted something outside of what he supplied then it was up to them to buy with their wages. The store master held everything and supplied it out when needed.

Jewel and Travis headed into the medical rooms as their boy had yet to come out with the others. Alanna, Tarval and their boy went in with them. Destiny was watching, holding their boy up to watch what Susan was doing. Jewel and Travis’s boy was on the table.

“There, doesn’t that feel better?” Susan asked the boy who nodded. “Now that the bones are in the right places, I’ll heal the bones; make them strong and whole again. It might tingle a little but nothing more.”

Susan took a deep breath and closed her eyes; she focused on the bones and pictured them strong and whole. Her power sped the healing process and quickly the bones were whole again. “All done,” she told him as she released his arm.

He sat up and tested his arm, “thank you.” He told Susan.

“You’re welcome,” Susan told him then helped him down from the table.

“Come,” Jewel told her boy, “we have things to do.” He nodded and went to Jewel, Travis stood back, letting Jewel handle the boy for now and slowly he would worm his way into the boy’s life.

“Come on… we all are going to the store master.” Tarval said gesturing to those remaining and together they headed to the store.

What did he mean by store master? Susan asked Alanna silently.

Dominic supplies all the basic needs for the members of the keep, clothes, food and such. Anything outside of the basics is up to the person to get themselves with their wages. Alanna explained.

And the store master is where we get all this basic stuff? Destiny queried.

Yep. Alanna said as they came to the massive store cavern. Already half of the boys who had left before them had been given their new clothes and were being shown to their new homes. They got into line to wait their turn. The Cloth master was a stern faced woman who shouted orders at her helpers as she whipped a knotted cord around each boy calling out numbers. When a pile of shirts, breeches and underclothes had been assembled the pile was handed to one of the parents and the boy was directed to the Leather master for their boots and belts.

When they had their boots and belts they were directed out and the Store Master gave the boys and parents the warning they gave everyone. If you tear it, mend it, don’t come back until something doesn’t fit or it falls apart. The parents then took their boys home for a good clean and to get them out of their rags and into something with their mark on it.

Once Alanna and Tarval had their boy’s things they waited for Jewel, Travis, Susan, Destiny and their boys as they were all going to the same place. Once everyone had their items they took their children home. Tarval pushed the door open and let everyone enter, Jewel and Travis took their boy to their rooms as did Susan and Destiny.

“Where should we put him?” Alanna asked.

Tarval smiled and walked to the door next to the nursery. “I know it isn’t furnished, the builders didn’t think we would be adding to our family so quickly.”

“Not to worry, I can do that.” Alanna opened the door and glanced around, a massive bed appeared against the wall to the right, a chest of drawers appeared near the entrance to the bathroom. A desk and chair were next then a few sets of shelves and an empty weapon rack, finally she placed a foot locker at the foot of the bed for extra storage.

“Can he read English?” Alanna asked.

Tarval nodded, “he should, if he doesn’t we can teach him.”

Alanna made a book appear and offered it to their boy, “can you read this?”

Carefully he took the book from Alanna’s hands, books were precious or at least that was what he had been lead to believe. Remembering her rule about answering when she asked a question he read the title, “where the wild things are.”

Alanna smiled and made all the books her younger siblings had liked at his age to the shelves as well as all the normal educational books her mother insisted on. “So what do you think,” Alanna asked as she gestured to the room.

“About what?” He asked back not sure what she meant.

“Your room,” Tarval supplied as he nudged the little boy further into the room.

He looked around shocked at all the things, he was used to a small cot with a lumpy straw filled mattress and a thread bare blanket, nothing as grand as this. “This is mine?”

“All yours, it is your responsibility to keep it clean and the bed must be made every day.” Tarval explained, “if you need cleaning supplies ask.”

The boy walked over to the book shelves and stroked the spines, he turned back and went to return the book Alanna had given him.

“No, that’s yours too.” She told him.

He smiled and opened it, he frowned, “who is Tha-is?”

“Thais,” Alanna corrected as these were once his books, “My younger brother and your Uncle, he once owned all these books.”

The little boy frowned, “my uncle?”

Alanna nodded, “yes, see in the culture I was brought up in, if you become someone’s fosterling, which you are, it means you became my son and if anything happened to me and Tarval they will step in and take care of you. They are your family.”

Tarval nodded, “I know, I found it hard to wrap my mind around, Gephalim aren’t big on families, but trust me… you’ll come to love the madness which is Alanna’s family.” He explained to the boy.

“Yes, you have uncles and aunts, grandparents, great grandmother, and great great grandparents.” Alanna told him.

“And they will love you regardless of your past,” Tarval said firmly as he watched alarm grow in the little boy.

Alanna nodded, “you’ve even met a few, Susan and Destiny are my aunts, your little friend is their fosterling, Dominic is my uncle and Sage is my sister so she is your aunt.”

Jewel and Travis stopped by, “can you watch our boy while we go to the builders.” Travis asked.

“No need I’ll furnish the room.” Alanna explained, “look around, I’ll be right back.”

“As will I.” Tarval said as he followed Alanna out, he veered off to the kitchen to put together a bowl of fruit.

Alanna followed Jewel to their rooms and into the room their boy would be sleeping in. Alanna glanced around for several moments then filled the room with similar pieces to what she had placed in her boy’s room as well as giving him Serenity’s old books.

Jewel looked around and smiled, “Thank you Alanna.” She said sincerely and it was much more than a simple thank you for furnishing the room. She was thanking Alanna for giving her a chance to be a mother, for some reason she couldn’t conceive and although Travis didn't mind, Jewel did, and was overjoyed to have a family.

Whenever a child was orphaned Dominic made sure that the couples who couldn’t breed had a chance to be parents.

“You’re welcome,” Alanna replied before she left. She returned just as Tarval started to approach with a big bowl of fruit. Together they paused in the door way and watched as their boy sat on the foot locker reading the book Alanna had given him. Tarval placed the bowl of fruit on the desk.

Alanna sorted out his clothes, putting the shirts into a pile, then the breeches, loincloths and stockings. “Whose mark should go on his shirt?” She asked Tarval.

“He is ours, so both, how about a sword piercing a heart with four white feathers in the background.” Tarval replied before he went to the door. “I’ll leave you to it.”

Alanna nodded and willed their mark onto the shirts over his heart. The mark was a very simple way of identifying who needed to be notified if the boy got hurt or into trouble. Once that was done she packed away all but one set of everything. “Okay, time to get you cleaned up.”

“He really needs a name,” Tarval said as he stopped in the door.

“Do you have any name requests?” Alanna asked as she laid his clothes out on the bed.

He blinked but slowly shook his head. Alanna smiled and touched his cheek; she let her senses search for the name branded to his soul, his true name. “Kael, K... a… e… l.” She told the room. “Do you like that name?”

Kael nodded.

“It sounds strong, does it have a meaning?” Tarval asked.

Alanna nodded, “it’s Gaelic for slender.”

Tarval nodded, “fitting, but he won’t be slender for long.” He turned and left.

“Come let’s get you clean.” Alanna gestured Kael to the bathroom. Kael carefully placed the book on the bed and went to the bathroom like directed. Alanna went to the tub and turned the taps on, she made soap and sponges appear as well as bubble bath which she poured a little in to get the water all foamy.

“Alright strip down and hop in.” Alanna told him before she turned her back.

“Um… ” he said.

Alanna twisted so that she could see him. “Yes?”

“I need my wing free.” Kael said gently.

“Of course,” Alanna went back to him and gently untied the knot which held his wing tightly to his body. “There you go,” she told him and turned her back on him again. He watched her for a moment before he stripped down and carefully got into the water.

“Are you in?” She asked.

“Yes,” he held up some of the foam, the fact that the water was warm was a treat for him as bathing usually happened with ice cold water.

“Excellent,” Alanna turned, as she approached the bath she willed her armour away leaving her in the light under clothes she had been wearing beneath. She paused as she watched him play with the bubbles, she reached over and turned the taps off. “How about I wash your back, wings and hair and you do everything else?”

“Okay,” he answered.

“Don’t be shy with the soap,” she told him as she offered him a sponge and a bar of soap.

*

Twenty minutes later Kael walked out of his room, he tugged on his shirt, he had never worn anything so fine before. Susan clapped as she approached, “wow you scrub up nice.” She told him. “Now I am going to put a wing harness on just to keep your wing from working. I know it will irritate you but it will help.”

John had given out a few wing harnesses to the children to be put on once they were clean. They would wear them for as long as needed and only take them off for bed, bathing and Susan’s hydro therapy. Susan carefully put his wing in the harness and adjusted it until it was firmly attached to his body. “There you go.”

“Come here Kael,” Alanna asked gently as she gestured to a stool. He joined her and sat at her prompt. “Now sit still while I cut your hair.” She wrapped a sheet around his neck to try to keep as much hair out of his clothes as possible. She then willed a pair of scissors into her hands and started to cut. He sat still even when hair fell onto his nose.

Alanna gave him a standard short back and sides with a little length on top. She ruffled her fingers through his hair loosening the cut strands and letting them fall to the sheet. Using a damp cloth she wiped his face and the back of his neck before she un-wrapped the sheet. “All done, what do you think?” A mirror appeared in Alanna’s hands and she showed him his new look.

“If you want you can grow your hair,” Tarval told him, “but you need to start with strong hair or it will always look messy.”

Kael nodded and hopped off the stool, “thank you.” He said gently before he walked over to sit at the table.

“Luca you’re next.” Susan said and her son nodded and went to Alanna. Alanna lifted him onto the stool and wrapped the sheet around him.

“So you’re Luca, that makes you a bringer of light.” Alanna explained.

“Pardon?” Luca asked.

“Your name, it means light.” She told him before she started to cut his hair.

“Susan said it was a strong name,” he said.

Alanna nodded, “it is a strong name. Just because its meaning seems a little weak it isn’t.”

“What does your name mean?” He asked.

“Well it has several meanings depending on a couple of different languages, it means attractive and peaceful in one language, offering in another and I believe it also means tree.” Alanna answered.

“And what does Susan mean?” Luca asked.

Alanna paused for a moment in her cutting, “it means Lily right?” She turned to Susan.

Susan nodded, “yep, but you shouldn’t put much into the meaning of a name, your actions alone will make your name great not the hidden meaning.”

Alanna finished cutting Luca’s hair. “All done,” she freed him from the sheet and helped him down.

Jewel and Travis smiled as they looked at Luca, they pushed their boy forward to get a cut.

“And what is your name?” Alanna asked as she wrapped the sheet around him.

“We can’t agree on a name, how did you go naming your son.” Travis said as he sat.

“It was simple, but I am part Ancient, I just used my senses to see the name branded on his soul.” Alanna replied before she started to cut.

“Can you do the same for our boy?” Jewel asked hopefully.

Alanna nodded, it was simple enough. She went to open her mouth but there was a knock on the door, Jewel held up a finger silently asking Alanna to hold off until she returned. Alanna nodded and Jewel raced from the room only to return a few moments later followed by all the new foster parents. Alanna smiled, “hi everyone, make yourselves comfortable.”

Jewel came to stand before Alanna anxiously moving from foot to foot as she waited for Alanna to declare her son’s name. Alanna grinned, “his name is Ezra.”

“What does his name mean?” Kael asked.

“Help or helper,” Tarval answered, “it is a very old name.”

“Do you like that name?” Jewel asked and Ezra nodded. “Then Ezra you’ll be.” She said before she raced off to get refreshments and snacks, Susan followed to help.

“Did Alanna just name your boy?” One of the men asked Travis.

Travis nodded, “we couldn’t come up with a name we could agree upon, Alanna said she had no trouble naming her son because she just felt the name branded on his soul.” He explained.

Alanna glanced over and could see the excitement in the faces of the other parents, obviously they were having the same problem as Jewel and Travis. “Let me guess, same problem?” She got nods in response. “Well, I’ll cut their hair and give them their names,” she offered as she finished Ezra’s cut.

Jewel and Susan walked out with fruit and drinks which they placed on the table. Alanna took a deep breath and glared at Susan, “are you trying to drive me mad?” The scent of freshly brewed coffee filled her nose. “Tempting me with the smell of something I am not allowed to have?”

“Alanna… its decaf you can drink it.” Susan answered with a roll of her eyes, like she would really do something that low.

“Decafs not real coffee,” Alanna complained.

“It is as close to coffee you’ll get until after you give birth.” Susan replied.

Alanna thought about it, “fine, pour me a cup.” She turned to the boys, “who’s next?”

Susan chuckled and prepared it just the way Alanna like it.

A pair of parents walked their son forward, “we haven’t been formally introduced,” the man said. “I am Iron-heart and this is my mate Bella.” He gestured to the tiny woman beside him. Iron-heart was like almost every Nephalim she had ever met, he was eight feet tall with broad shoulders and a narrow waist. His hair was a coppery blond colour which was a shade or two darker than that of his amber eyes, with a nose that was slightly crooked from being broken in a fight and a thin line ran across his left cheek.

The woman beside him was only just taller than the boy they had adopted and probably just as thin. She had a sprinkling of freckles across her nose and cheeks which went with the mass of red curls which ran down her back and hazel eyes.

“Pleasure to meet you both,” Alanna said as she shook both offered hands. She had learnt that generally Da’Vaila didn’t touch in greeting unless they were close friends with the person in question. However Dominic’s keep had gotten used to the gesture as they allowed the humans who lived with them to share their cultures. It was perhaps the only keep which was forward thinking enough to accept same sex matings.

“Take a seat young man,” Alanna said as she gestured to the seat.

**

Two hours later the last boy’s hair was cut and everyone was sitting around the table. Alanna had named all the boys and met all the parents, she glanced around the room and felt that this would be a common occurrence. Through Thane, Cia and Braken she knew that the parents of her students would band together just like this, in fact most of the time they were already in the same wings.

The boys sat down the far end of the table talking quietly to each other. Alanna watched them, thirteen was a large number for a wing but it didn’t matter too much. As loathed as she was to put them straight to work she knew structure and routine would help and teaching them to protect themselves would build their confidence. This only left how she was going to make this fair on the other boys when she integrated this wing into the training.

“You seem to be in deep thought.” Iron-Heart commented.

Alanna nodded, “yes… ” she studied him for a moment, “how did you become known as Iron-heart?”

Iron-heart sighed, “the story of how I became known as Iron-heart has become a legend here.” He noticed that the boys were watching intently so he continued. “My first battle with the sand daemons of the Aros planes, we were under massive archer fire as we went to retreat out of bow range. My breast plate was badly damaged and was making it hard to breath, so I took it off regardless of the fact it was going to make me venerable. As we fell back I was hit with an arrow.”

Iron-heart pulled the laces in the front of his shirt and tugged it aside to show the scar which was directly in line with his heart. He turned to show the boys and several gasped. “I managed to get to the regroup site before I realised I was hurt. I then walked to my flight leader and told him I couldn’t fight. He turned and started to ask why but stalled when he saw the arrow. He ordered two men to carry me to the keep. I refused and flew myself.” There were chuckles from two men who were obviously the two men who were meant to carry him.

“Made it all the way to the infirmary, freaked the crap out of the healers when they noticed me.” Iron-heart continued. “They knocked me out and removed the arrow, the next day I learnt that the arrow had pierced my heart, it should have been fatal, it should have punched all the way through me. But the arrow stopped, only the tip had pierced my heart. My heart had stopped the arrow, one of the healers told my Flight leader that I had an iron heart, and that was why I was alive today. Quickly everyone knew and they all started to call me Iron-heart.”

“I take it no one tried to remove the arrow on the field?” Susan asked.

Iron-heart nodded, “rule one of battle first aid, leave it in and leave it alone.”

Susan nodded, “because it keeps pressure on the wound.”

Iron-heart nodded, “I was lucky the arrow head was the same size as the shaft.”

“Tomorrow when you all come to the battle school dress in training clothes.” Alanna said as she turned to Tarval.

“Including our mates?” Gill asked.

Alanna nodded, “yes, they will be there, may as well teach them as well.” She turned to Tarval, “I am going to get Thane, Cia, Braken, Sage and Dominic. I need to run something pass them all after dinner.” She turned to the room, “you are all welcome to stay. I am just going to grab a few more people and inform the kitchen we will dine here.”

The adults nodded, this afternoon had been fun. Alanna went to the kitchens first and told them what was going on and they responded that they would send dinner up and that there would be extra helpings. She then went and found Thane, Cia and Braken who were relaxing in their sitting room at the battle school.

“Hi,” Alanna said as she walked in. They didn’t stand as Alanna had insisted on informality when they weren’t around the boys.

“What brings you here?” Cia asked.

“I want to invite you to dinner then I want to go over some ideas with you and some others.” Alanna explained.

Thane put his book down, “does it have something to do with the Gephalim boys you rescued today.”

“News travels fast,” Alanna said as she sat, “and yes.”

Thane watched her for a moment, he knew she wanted to include the boys in battle training, “the other boys will resent them, unless you are housing them here.”

“I think I have found a way around the resentment. I want to run it pass you guys.” Alanna explained.

“Okay, we’ll come.” Thane said, he saw no harm in hearing her out.

“Great, do you know where my rooms are?” Alanna asked as she stood and all three men nodded. “I’ll see you then.” She turned to leave but paused and turned back, “it’s an informal dinner guys.” She said because she didn’t want them to come dressed in their armour, they nodded in response.

Alanna left them to it and decided instead of wasting time looking for Dominic she would just appear near him. Dominic had just returned with the last of his merchants, Sage was beside him carrying a large box. “Hey, how has it gone?” Sage asked her sister.

Alanna nodded, “fine so far but we shall see.”

“So what brings you here?” Dominic asked.

“I came to invite you and Sage to dinner in my rooms, all the foster parents will be there as well as Thane, Cia and Braken.” Alanna explained.

Dominic frowned as he considered what she said, “there is more to this than just a dinner invite.”

Alanna nodded, “I need to run through an idea with you.”

“And your instructors,” Dominic added.

“Yep.”

“Alright, we’ll come,” Dominic said answering for them both.

**

Alanna escorted the last foster parent from her rooms several hours later, she returned to the hall and turned to Kael, “come on, let’s get you into bed, you have a long day ahead of you tomorrow.” Susan and Jewel took this time to bundle their children off as Travis, Sage and Tarval tidied the table and put away the clean dishes.

Alanna followed Kael into his room, “let me help you out of your wing brace.” She told him before she reached for the buckles which held the brace in place. Once the brace was off she went and turned down the covers as he changed into a pair of cotton pants.

“Come on,” Alanna prompted, “I’ll tuck you in.” Kael crawled into the middle of his bed, it was big and soft and had lots of pillows including a body pillow. Once he settled on his side with the body pillow to hug; Alanna tucked him in.

“Now since this is your first night I am going to leave a glow crystal on, if you have any problems in the night you come to me. Do you remember which room is Tarval and mine?”

Kael nodded.

“Good,” Alanna leant down and kissed his temple. “Sleep deep,” she told him then walked to the door. “I’ll leave the door open a crack.” She added before she willed the lights off and closed the door but left it open a little.

She walked back into the dining room, “Come on,” Sage grabbed her and directed her to the sitting room. Jewel placed down some drinks before she waved good bye and left them to it. Alanna sat next to Tarval and leant into his body.

“So… ” Dominic prompted.

“I want to do something different with the Gephalim boys.” Alanna began.

“What kind of different?” Dominic asked.

“I would like to form them into a wing.” Alanna began.

“No… absolutely not,” Susan said firmly.

“Luca is five!” Destiny seconded.

Alanna held out her hands. “Just hear me out,” she begged. “What I have in mind is exactly like what I am doing with the other wings only the entire wing will not be active until its last member is of age. They will be training longer than any other wing.”

“He is five,” Destiny said again.

Alanna nodded, “and all of my younger siblings were that old when they first started their training.”

Destiny frowned as she knew that was correct, at the time she had never questioned how Amy had organised her children’s training. But this was her child.

“They will all get to be children.” Alanna guaranteed.

“What about the other boys…

I doubt you’ll put the Gephalim in the dorm.” Thane asked.

“To my understanding the real reason they are removed from their parents is to encourage breeding because the mother won’t become fertile until there are no children underfoot. We don’t have that problem with Gephalim children because their parents don’t breed.” Alanna explained.

Dominic nodded, her reasoning was correct, it was also why the children came in cycles with almost even gaps between each training group.

“These guys will be training for sixteen years, ten years longer than any others, they will move into the dorms just not right now.” Alanna stated.

“Trying to train the Gephalim out of them?” Cia asked.

Alanna shook her head, “no, I’ve watched my siblings get trained, the longer they are trained the better warriors they become. Others have followed my parents lead and we have the largest trained force of young pack members because of that.”

“You want to change how we teach our young,” Dominic stated and Alanna nodded.

“Nothing too drastic, start with basic hand fighting, it will get them ready for battle school, bring up their fitness. Fine tune their hand eye co-ordination.” Alanna said listing the pros of what she was suggesting.

“What do you think my lord?” Braken asked as he stretched out his bad knee, although he had been told by Alanna to go to Susan he had been holding off as he didn’t trust the gadgets in her rooms.

“Gwynt, Alanna’s youngest brother,” Dominic started to explain, “he is fourteen, and can probably beat every one of my finest warriors.”

“And he underwent this early training?” Thane asked to which Alanna nodded. “The other boys will resent the fact that the Gephalim boys get to go home each night.”

“I know, I hope, if we explain it to them they will understand and accept them. If not, well they should get used to following orders regardless of how they feel or what they think is fair.”

Cia chuckled, “she has a point, rebellious boys and cocky young warriors always have problems just doing as they are told.”

Alanna nodded, “and to reinforce that I think there should be a reward system for good behaviour. At the moment all we are doing is punishing bad behaviour and not reinforcing good behaviour. Demerits for bad behaviour, points for good but demerits can’t cancel out points and vice versa.”

“And what will these points give the boys?” Braken asked although he could see where she was coming from.

“Privileges, like if the markets are being held here they will be allowed out of the battle school.” Alanna supplied.

“Always used to annoy me that we were on lock down on market day,” Cia supplied.

“Do the points reset like the demerits after each rest day?” Braken asked and Alanna nodded.

“What other privileges will you offer them?” Sage asked.

“Games to be played in their free time, better cots, in fact I would like them to pick their reward for good behaviour. But I would like to change how demerits are accumulated, at the moment they are accumulated on an individual bases, I think they should be a group thing just as points will be. It will reinforce the idea that they are a team and that they should work together to keep the others from falling behind in any situation.”

“But we can still track them individually right, it helps us see where one is failing and work to get back on track.” Cia supplied.

“As long as the points or demerits are pooled together,” Alanna agreed.

“Who will train the young?” Dominic asked.

“Training young children takes experience and a different tack, none of us have that skill but I know three who do. I can send a message to ma and she can choose one. All three are betas, all three are also single females, just a warning.” Alanna explained.

Dominic chuckled, “more Were females? My men won’t know what to do with themselves.”

Sage chuckled, she knew all three women Alanna was thinking of, the men would learn quickly to avoid whoever her mother chose.

“Okay…

I am convinced. We will change.” Dominic said as he stood. “Good night.” He said as he left. The others stood and started to leave. Alanna willed a globe into her hands and put her message in it and willed it to her mother.

Tarval leant close and kissed her temple even as Alanna yawned. He chuckled and stood, in a fluid motion he scooped his mate up and carried her to bed. “You know,” he told her, “I had plans for tonight, they included seducing you and showing you just how much I love you and want you.” He told her.

Alanna pulled herself closer and kissed him passionately, she would never be too tired for him. Tarval groaned and walked her into their room nudging the door to shut only he didn’t use enough force. Pressing her to the bed he didn’t stop kissing her. “I am sorry I denied you,” he told her as she helped him get his shirt off.

“I am sorry I hurt you,” she replied and was cut off by his lips again.

“You were emotional; your rational mind was on vacation.”

It then became a mad dash to see who could undress the other the quickest. Cursing, he stood and hopped as he pulled a boot off then quickly swapped to the other. Deciding to cheat she just willed her clothes away. His eyes feasted on her naked form, he didn’t care that she had taken the easy route except that she hadn’t included him and he didn’t like using his Ancient powers.

Licking her lips she watched as Tarval stood before her, her eyes ran over his broad shoulders and down his chest. Tightly packed muscles met her eyes, muscles that she wanted to lick, stroke and nibble on as he made love to her. Her eyes followed his hands as he slowly unbuttoned his breeches, he noticed her tongue moving across her lips and decided to give her a little bit of a show and slowly peeled his pants off. Once they were past his knees he kicked them off. Two quick motions and his loincloth was gone and he stood in all his naked glory. He was standing proud before her and watched as she started to pant. Wrapping his right hand around his shaft he stroked it several times just to tease her.

“Like what you see?”

She nodded vigorously and spread her legs and then separated her folds which were glistening. Not resisting the need to be with her, he moved to join her on the bed, her thighs cradling his hips. His lips found hers as he rubbed the head of his shaft between her folds causing her to groan.

“What do you want?” He asked before he nipped at her ear, arching her body she rubbed her pebbled breasts against the hard planes of his chest. “Answer me, what do you want?”

“You inside me.”

Needing no more encouragement he slowly entered her, growling she scratched at his arms leaving red welts. He was gentle as he joined their bodies afraid to hurt her or the child but she didn’t want gentle. Growling she rolled them over and sat up grinding herself against him, resting her hands on his chest for leverage she started to move, there was nothing gentle in her movements just pure need.

Reaching up he cupped her breasts and squeezed causing her to hiss and pull away.

Tender, be gentle. She told him, sitting up he rained kisses upon her tender flesh. Gently he explored what he could do without causing her pain as she rested her hands on his shoulders. Tilting his head up she kissed him deeply, her tongue duelling with his. He wrapped his arms around her hips and pressed her back so that he was back on top, confident that he wasn’t hurting her he lengthened his thrusts.

Her eyes flicked rapidly changing colours which meant her beast was really close to the surface. Moving swiftly he presented his neck and shoulder knowing that biting would appease the beast. She didn’t linger, she shot out and bit him deeply and as if her bite was the signal they both came powerfully.

A few minutes later Alanna released her bite and licked at the wound, being gentle so as not aggravate it. Once she was done she nuzzled and nipped at his throat. Tarval kissed her deeply as he carefully rolled them onto their sides. “Feeling better my love?”

Alanna chuckled, “marvellous,” she replied with a yawn and a little shiver as a cool breeze brushed against her skin. Tarval carefully untangled himself and went to get a night shirt for her and a pair of pants for him. Generally he wouldn’t have bothered but they had a child now, a scared child who might come in during the night. He gently placed her in a night shirt, kissing her over and over again before he moved her under the covers. After dressing himself he went around blowing out candles or covering crystals before he joined Alanna in bed pulling her close to cuddle.

*

Kael walked away from the door, he had woken from a nightmare and had gone to Alanna like she had told him to. As he approached he saw that they were… well he didn’t even know what to call what they were doing. He had seen many acts between men and women, but nothing he had seen before was like what he had just witnessed.

He crawled back into his bed and considered what he had seen, Tarval had been gentle, had let her be in control and had even let her bite him. Then there was the care Tarval had showed as he got Alanna into a night shirt and under the covers. The whole behaviour of both of them baffled him. Tarval was nothing like the Gephalim men he knew.

He closed his eyes and tried to go to sleep, before he knew it he was awake and panting again as a new nightmare woke him. Closing his eyes he tried to go back to sleep but he felt restless. Getting up he left his room and went to Alanna and Tarval’s. He glanced in and saw that both were fast asleep, this was also not something he was familiar with. The men and women of the Keep he had just left stayed in dorms, and stayed apart.

He walked further into the room and paused when he heard a growl and saw glowing eyes. The growl stopped and the glowing eyes vanished.

“Kael,” Alanna said as she held open the sheet, “come on.”

Tarval mumbled but didn’t wake. Kael was hesitant, he didn’t understand.

“Come on… he won’t hurt you.” Alanna promised and since Kael knew she hadn’t lied yet he walked over and crawled into the bed. She pulled him close and tucked the sheet around him. “Now relax, you are safe, I won’t let anyone hurt you.”

****

Tarval woke earlier than normal, he felt excited and nervous. He knew he was going to work with Alanna today and he just loved being close to his mate. Propping himself up he watched Alanna and how she was protectively cradling their son. Gently he stroked the hair from her face, she took a deep breath, the beast was alert, ready to defend the cub that rested beside her.

However she knew she didn’t have to protect her cub from her mate and the beast retreated waking her human side. Alanna yawned and stretched, she glanced over to Tarval. “What time is it?”

“Time to get up and go to early morning training,” he told her gently.

Alanna sighed and gently shook Kael to wake him. “Kael, time to wake up sweetie.”

Kael moaned and tried to hide his face.

Alanna chuckled, “hiding doesn’t change the fact that you need to get up.” She told him playfully as she pushed herself onto her hands and knees. Kael still pretended to sleep. “Okay, tickle time.” Alanna started to tickle his sides and Kael tried to squirm away but she refused to let him. He started to giggle as he squirmed on the bed. Leaning down she blew a raspberry on his neck as she continued to tickle him.

“Please…

I’ll get up…

I’ll get up,” Kael begged and Alanna stopped instantly. Moving quickly he scrambled off the bed. Tarval chuckled for a moment, Alanna had used the same tactics to get her other siblings out of bed, he mused before he grabbed clothes and tossed them onto the bed.

“Go make your bed, get dressed and your harness,” Tarval said gently, at the moment he was trying to gain the boy’s trust. He hoped that by being gentle and not forcing anything Kael would realise he didn’t want to harm him. Tarval knew that eventually Kael would come to him if only so that he could speak to a man but he wanted to make that sooner.

Kael nodded and left the room, Alanna got out of bed and walked over to her mate, hugging him she tilted her head up for a good morning kiss. Gathering her closer Tarval kissed her deeply and thoroughly. He broke the kiss, “time to get ready.”

Alanna rolled her eyes, as she went to the bathroom she waved her hand and the bed made itself. Once she was in the bathroom she went to the sink and splashed some water on her face. Dressing quickly she walked from the room with a brush. Kael walked out with his harness. “Are you wearing a loincloth?” she asked.

Kael nodded, “why is it so important?” He asked.

“Later today we will be swimming, loincloths are what you will be swimming in.” Alanna explained then started to stare as she had never seen Jewel in anything other than a dress or skirt before.

Jewel chuckled, “stop staring.”

“I’m sorry it’s just… ” Alanna couldn’t even find the words.

Kael dropped his harness and started to back away as people seemed to appear from nowhere. “It’s okay Kael,” Alanna said turning to find out what was scaring him. Three women had suddenly appeared, “Hey guys come join us. Kael these are friends of mine.”

“Yeah and hurting cubs is… let’s just say the punishment is worse than death.” Sara explained. She was quite a petite woman, most men would immediately under estimate her much to their own detriment, she was deceptively strong and able to use her strength wisely. Her hair was as short as Kael’s but was a rich chocolate brown and her eyes were a much lighter honey brown that turned yellow when her Lion was close.

Sara was followed by two more women, Raya and Zen. Raya was long and lean with long blond hair that was put up in a ponytail. The first time Bastion had seen her he had instantly called her a Viking which was a little true but not quite, her direct blood line went further back. Ghan had been a little more correct as he recognised some of her features and he confirmed it when he learnt she was a Cave Lion. In all his years he had only known of one pride of Cave Lions who lived not too far from where he had grown up in what became known as Europe. Of all the Were there were really only three rare breeds, the Sabre tooths, the Clouded Leopards and the Cave Lions, but only an expert or Were would be able to tell the difference between a Were Lion and a Were Cave Lion.

Zen was only slightly taller than Sara and of Asian descent, she had come to Wolf Haven pack as a child, having fled the Himalayas. Like Raya, Zen was another of those rare breeds of Were, only the reason her breed was rare was because of hunting as unlike most Were there was almost no way to tell the difference between a Were Clouded Leopard and a non Were one. Growing up in the pack she had become firm friends with Raya and Sara.

“You know I only asked for one of you,” Alanna commented as she gestured Kael closer so that she could put his harness on. Kael slowly stepped forward, not trusting the new people.

“Yeah your ma was only going to send Zen but Thais called and changed her mind.” Sara said as she sat.

Alanna arched an eyebrow, “Thais wanted all three of you here?”

Raya nodded, “I hope it means we’ll find our mates here,” she replied.

“Well you won’t lack male attention here.” Alanna told them. “But be warned, the men have strict codes of conduct when dealing with courtship. Sexual promiscuity doesn’t happen here, Dominic won’t have you teasing his men and causing problems.” Kael finally took the last step to stand before Alanna; she took the harness from him and turned him around.

“He has removed women who cause dissention among the men.” Tarval added as he joined them. “You will be expected to follow the rules he sets but he also knows about Were mating instincts. If you have needs… ” he hesitated. “Take them out on each other or on Sage, even Alanna just not the men.” A blush crept up the sides of his neck, he had never been comfortable with the casual nature Were had with sex, he doubted he would ever be comfortable but he could accept it as a part of their culture.

“Okay… no teasing the men; got it…” Raya replied with a smile, “so you are letting Alanna out… mmm… might have to take you up on that.” Tarval’s blush worsened in response, he knew all four were close friends, they had gone through enforcer training together and it was common for friends to sleep with each other but at that time Alanna had been… indifferent to sex.

“Guys… don’t tease him… it isn’t his fault… he isn’t Were.” She admonished her friends who just chuckled. Working quickly she placed Kael’s wing in the brace then turned him around and worked on tightening the harness so that he couldn’t use his wing.

“Anything else we should know?” Sara asked.

“You are not to go into the forest, not without permission, Dominic will organise permission to go on runs but without that permission going into the forest is an act of war.” Tarval said firmly, he doubted that Mather would declare war but the old treaty which allowed Bianca into the forest applied to all Were in the keep.

“You can however hunt on the cliff faces when the men go on a hunt. Again, stay on the cliff and do not enter the forest.” Alanna added.

“Curbing… we’ve never had to curb before.” Raya said a little concerned, she actually had trouble saying no to her beast, it was far more primal than most beasts and got worse when she was asleep and unable to reason with it.

“There is a reason,” Tarval said, “Sage said that Centaurs don’t smell like horses, but Santaurs do smell like deer and they do not like being considered as prey.”

“I’ll tell Dominic about your issue and if we must I can will the doors not to open or break.” Alanna promised, she had woken up a few times to the massive Lioness licking her face during enforcer training as well as waking to the sound of the door being torn from its hinges. Sammy had moved Raya to a room closer to the forest with only a drape to cover the door.

“Since you asked for us three specifically I am assuming you want us to teach children,” Zen said as she sat.

“Yes, Raya, you have more experience with older children so after training you’re with me. Dominic will show Zen and Sara where they will be working.” The women nodded accepting the jobs, Amy and Wolfgang had been strict, obey Dominic’s rules and if it was a pack issue what Alanna said went.

Susan walked in leading Luca and moments later everyone else was out of their rooms and ready to start the day. “Thought I heard you three,” she told the women.

Destiny groaned when she saw Raya, “great… if your cat decides gives me a tongue bath again be warned Susan gets testy when she smells you in our room.” She warned Raya which caused the woman to blush.

“You call this a breakfast?” Zen complained as she looked at the light meal Jewel had placed on the table. Alanna finished the last strap and nudged Kael to sit.

Tarval chuckled, “pre-training wake up snack, breakfast is after early morning training.”

“Oh,” Zen replied.

Alanna dipped some crusty bread into honey and popped it into her mouth, others quickly followed. Once the food was cleared Alanna willed the dishes clean and to their places in the kitchen.

“I really love that.” Jewel commented before they all got up and left. As a group they went to the little course Sage and Alanna had built over the last week. Everything about the course got the body moving and the muscles all nicely limbered up.

Sage met them at the course with a yawn. “Me first,” she said as she got to the beginning of the course, a set of suicides, oh she like every enforcer trained by Sammy hated them but they were useful. The moment she was in front of the suicides she started. Alanna waited until Sage was through the suicides before following and one by one those who were familiar with the course followed. Travis, willing to try anything once followed Zen, Kael not wanting to be left out followed with Travis and Luca behind him.

Alanna handed around the water skin when everyone finished. “Not bad Kael, a little more practise and you’ll nail the up and unders.”

Susan hugged Luca, “and when you get bigger the course will get easier.” She kissed his temple.

“Are we heading to the training field?” Sage asked.

Alanna nodded, “if only to let the men know Sara, Raya and Zen are not to be messed with.”

Tarval nodded, “we have time.”

“Then off to the training fields we go.” Sage said excitedly.

~*~*~*~*~

Okay everyone, I know you were all hoping for answers and lots of stuff about Dragons in this chapter. However this was merely an introduction to the idea of my Dragons. Trust me when I say to you it will come, but not until after Alanna gives birth.

Until next time

:P

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.4K 634 20
I want to Thank Nicoletr33 for this idea. She has some really great story idea's and its a pleasure bringing them to life. Hannah is Kol and Elena's...
15.7K 858 34
The first werewolf story dated back in the time of the immortals. When they roamed. It came in the form of a wolf and an immortal brother being bit...
26.1K 771 7
Renesmee is a rouge huntress. After her parents are killed by rouges and saw everything, she became ruthless. Killing almost all rouges that crossed...
91.3K 1.2K 9
All of my Namjoon fics. I have no idea how this site works.