Bella Notte

By Jesse_KimmelFreeman

Vampires? Check. Werewolves? Check. Death prophecy to hang over your head? Double check. Seventeen year old E... More

prologue
chapter one
chapter two
chapter four
chapter five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
If you...

chapter three

122K 910 111
By Jesse_KimmelFreeman

Chapter Three

When the darkness faded back into light, it was the next morning. My head ached and my mouth tasted like old blood. My mind was completely blank and I couldn't remember anything from the night before. Oh no, what did I do last night?

I had the sickening feeling that something happened last night. The feeling was like an ominous cloud, waiting to break open and pour down on me.

The bad vibes never left me all day. I couldn't remember the night before and I was afraid to ask if I had done something. I managed to avoid my family and most of the guests, but, when I did come across someone's path, they seemed a bit nervous around me- like I'd suddenly bite them, or something. I tried to call Mike, but he still had family over and he couldn't talk long. I so needed someone to tell me everything would be fine. I knew something had happened last night and everything was forever changed as a result.

It was nightfall when Grandpa finally caught up to me. I was terribly nervous and I didn't want to look him in the eyes. Man, I'm such a chicken.

“Emma, I noticed that you've been avoiding everyone today and I have a feeling that you don't remember last night- an unfortunate after effect of what Dominic tried to do.” His wise eyes burned fierce.

“No, Grandpa, I don't remember. Should I be ashamed of myself? What happened? What did he do?” I wanted to cry.

“My darling little Emma, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You were absolutely well-behaved. You danced beautifully with Dominic, you didn't murder your father for the announcement of your betrothal, and you did the right thing by calling for me when Dominic got out of line outside.” He looked away as though he was ashamed for not stopping all the badness of the night before.

Slowly all the happenings from the night before started to flood back to me. I didn't know whether to be sick or pissed.

“Grandpa, what did he give me?”

“Well, sweetheart, I can't tell you exactly what he gave you but it was meant to help you change. Think of it as an accelerant … catalyst.” He seemed very upset.

“Okay, I get that there are some things you can't tell me- but why? What would it hurt if I knew more about this change?” I could feel my temper rising and I couldn't even justify it to myself.

“Emma, the reason we've not talked to you about what's going to happen is because of two reasons. The first is that we're worried how you'll handle the information. The second is because it's a family secret and we couldn't risk you telling anyone.” I knew he was trying to be kind but I could tell something was bothering him.

I felt angry for being lied to about what was happening with my own body and not being trusted. “Grandpa, I'm extremely upset. I don't understand why I'm not being trusted enough to know what's going on inside me- or whatever this change is.” I knew my eyes were flashing dangerously as my temper grew.

“I'm sorry, Emma, it isn't my place. You'll have to take it up with your parents. If they agree then I'll tell you- until then my hands are tied.” With that Grandpa walked off.

That's when I felt like something inside me broke. I stormed up to my room and screamed into my pillows. My temper was raging when I heard the light rap at my door and I knew it was my mother. What does she want?

“Come in, Mom,” I said trying to control the fire burning inside me.

“You're much like your grandfather- do you know that? Speaking of him, he said you wanted to ask about something?” She was smiling but clearly examining my room with obvious disappointment. Why does she even bother? Ugh!

“Yes, I would like to know why exactly I cannot be trusted with the information of what this “change” is?” I made sure to use finger quotations when I said the word “change.”

“Oh. Well, you've not progressed enough for it to be safe to tell you. I know you don't understand my darling, but once you find out more, then you will,” she said and reached out for my hand.

“What the Hell do you mean, I've not progressed enough? Shouldn't I get to know what the devil is going to happen to me? How would you even know if I've changed if you never even notice me?” The little control I had mustered was dissolving. What's wrong with me?

“I'll leave you then, Emma.” Something flashed across her face- it seemed as though she was afraid of me. She got up and left.

Great now she's scared of me. I sighed. I lied down and let the darkness take me. The whole night was plagued by images of my party, of Dominic, of his fangs. I woke up in a deep sweat- he had fangs! Something inside me clicked but I didn't know what it was, the sleepiness was pulling me back under. He had fangs! I knew it- but what does it mean?

I woke as I do most early mornings- crying. God I hate that dream. I decided to try and let it go. I needed sleep, the world felt like a trap door waiting to fall out from under me. The dream didn't change- it never did. But I was ... and that scared me.

I felt the strange sensation that I was forgetting something important, something I had dreamt- but it was gone. Oh well. I covered my head with my comforter and forced myself back into sleep.

By the time my brain got my eye lids open it was sunny. I grabbed my cell to check the time. Damn, two o'clock, and still no word from Mike. Fine screw them all! Today I was staying in my room and not bothering with the world. I'll stay in my pjs and watch some classics like Dracula.

I cuddled deeper into my blanket and wished the day away. It passed quick enough without incident or word from the outside world. Normally I'd worry- but today I had my own pity party going. I went to sleep early. You should eat something- otherwise you'll have nightmares. I didn't care.

Monday brought hope to my smelly self. Mike will be at school and will fix everything. I showered, got dressed, and actually ate a full breakfast, instead of a quick bite.

When I got to school I found Mike but he was lost in some world of thoughts. I waved my hand in front of his face and held out the journal.

“Your turn.” I smiled and winked at him.

He blinked at the journal and then looked from it to me. Something is clearly wrong.

“What's up buttercup?” I sat down next to him on the cold, gray concrete of the curb.

“Uh, nothing. I had a really long weekend. How'd Friday go? I'm sorry I was m.i.a. all weekend.” He seemed to be letting something go for now.

“Oh, you know, the usual- my father announced my betrothal to my childhood best friend's brother, got tipsy as a result, got drugged by said guy, and then I blacked out. You know the usual.” I tried to keep my voice neutral as I said these things.

“What?” His voice carried anger with it and his mouth dropped open slightly.

“I tried to call you, but you were busy.” I could see the hurt in his eyes. I shouldn't have said that. “I'm sorry Mike.”

“No, you're right, I wasn't available and now I so wish that I had been. You're betrothed? Do you want me to knock this guy out and hide the body?”

I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not- something inside seemed to warn me that he wasn't.

“Yeah, apparently no one felt the need to tell me that I am going to be married to some almost complete stranger. But screw that. So I read the journal.” I wanted to change the subject; I batted my lashes at him.

“You did? Did you find it interesting?” I could see the struggle for him to let go of the stuff I told him.

I grabbed him close to me and kissed him hard. “Yes, I read the journal,” I whispered as the bell rang and I headed to class.

Mike stared after me for a few minutes and then he ran to catch up to me. “Hey, wait for me.”

And just like that all was quieted- at least for now. The week passed uneventfully. I didn't talk to my family- I avoided them at all costs. I found that I couldn't forgive them for my birthday and that horrid boy. Mike and I hung out and started to plan for the Halloween dance that always seemed to come out of nowhere. I was excited because it was Mike's birthday as well. I got him his present already and all I wanted to do was tell him what it was. I had to have it custom made- it being a silver bracelet with a scene etched into it. I thought that a little full moon with the silhouette of a wolf and a bat against it would be awesome. I, of course, was right. The twisted black leather band had been worn so it was comfortable to wear. And the back said, “We're quite an odd pair that surely will last forever.”

The town turned from its normal dullness to the perfectly haunted Halloween town. Everything was decorated and took on an eerie atmosphere. It was absolutely splendid- of course Christmas was like this too, but then I wanted to toss my red and green cookies.

You see, Halloween will forever be my favorite holiday- it's the one day when I can be myself and no one gives a damn. Everyone- well not everyone- becomes like me. It's absolutely marvelous.

Mike and I decided that he was going to be Wolfman from the old black and white movies and I was going to be Dracula's bride. The next week we spent all our spare time getting the costumes made and we had to special order custom accessories. It was so awesome to have a pair of real fangs sent to me. But he had fangs. I felt like I had lost my mind. I put them on as I followed the directions to a T. When I looked at myself in the mirror, I found something strangely familiar. I smiled and the fangs looked so natural.

“That guy did an awesome job,” I said to the mirror as I touched my reflection. Looks like my vision of my birthday.

I shook my head at the thought as I had chosen to ignore the happenings of that day. But I knew I had not managed to do that as I could feel my temper burn bright within me. I needed to do something anything to make me feel like I was in control. I grabbed my cell as I headed downstairs to my Jeep- fangs still in place.

“Hey, Mike.” It sounded slightly slurred and sharp.

“Em. What's a matter? Have you been drinkin' or somethin'?” He sounded concerned.

“No, I just got my fangs and I forgot to take them out. I'm coming to pick you up, get dressed.” It all sounded a little snake-like to me and I had a mental image of me with a forked tongue- I giggled.

“Okay, where are we going and how do you know I'm not dressed?” It was almost as though I could hear him lift his eyebrow with a smirk.

“Ugh. You perv! It's Sunday so I know you're sitting on your butt, watching t.v. or something, now get dressed. I'll be there in twentyish minutes. Bye.” I smiled at my phone knowing I'd won this round.

There was no traffic so the ride went quickly. I pulled up to the gates outside his house and he was standing there. I blushed as I gave him the once over. He was in black cargo pants, his combat boots, and a tight black tank. God, he is sexy.

“Are you just going to gawk at me, or can I get in the car?” His eyes were bright with excitement.

“I thought I'd gawk a bit more, but if you're gonna whine- get in my beast,” I said as I leaned across the seats and pushed open the door.

“So, what's up, Em? You look like you mean trouble.” He always could tell what was going on with me.

“Let's go get tattoos.” I blurted out- I had clearly not thought this through all the way.

“How about we have a chat about what's up, and then maybe we can get tats?” He looked at me with concern again.

“Sorry, mate, this is a live free vessel and I'm the cap'n- so you in or not?” I didn't want to discuss what I didn't even understand.

“Okay- never call me mate, it should be matey, you dork. And what are you getting?” He knew it was a moot point to argue with me right now.

“Alright may-tee,” I drew it out. “I'm getting a bat on my inner wrist- what about you?” I eyed him as we pulled away from his house and headed for the highway leading away from the town.

“Well, if you're getting a bat then I'll get a wolf howling silhouette.” He smiled at me and lightly brushed a hair away from my face. It's those gestures that make me crazy on the inside.

“Then we're off to see the wizard,” I said as we hit the highway like a bat outta Hell.

It takes an hour to get into the city, but it is bustling with life and I knew the drive was worth it. Every time I had gone to the world outside our little haven, I was amazed and most of all- happy. This was one of the few places where I could be myself and not be seen as the freak. Mike seemed to have paled by the time I'd found parking.

“Oh, don't be such a baby. I'm sure it won't hurt at all. Jeeze, boys are such wimps!” I leaned over and punched him lightly in the arm.

“Em, I'm not a baby. I merely enjoy not thinking about being stabbed repeatedly over and over again with needles,” he said as he hopped out of my Jeep.

“Baby,” I said as we walked across the street.

The sun was bright- like once we left our protective bubble, the sun was able to shine. Every reflective surface was like a mirror of glare. Nothing was as bright as the neon flashing purple signs trying to lure people into inkings or piercings. I was sold at the giant bat on the sign boasting the name, “Dracula's Dungeon,” with the cute slogan of “we'll slay ya!” I couldn't have hoped for something better.

“Isn't it awesome?” I asked as I stared open-mouthed at the beautifully black building with tinted windows.

“I don't know, Em. It gives me the creeps. Don't call me a baby. Maybe my sense of survival is better than yours.” He smiled at me but his eyes held the caution that his voice expressed.

“So, you don't want to go in?” I sighed.

“I know better. Besides, you'd go without me and I'd never hear the end of it.” He grabbed the door handle and opened the door for me.

The cool conditioned air shot out the door and seemed to slap us in the face. I looked at Mike and caution seemed to cover his entire face now. I stepped inside the florescent haven. Everything was either black leather, blood red velvet, or a shiny metal surface. I love it!

“Oi, what can I do fer ya miss? Oh, it's you. I suppose ya want yer family crest. Yer pup is lookin' a lil' green around da gills there.” The guy was tall, pale, had a Mohawk ... and fangs!

I stared at his teeth as I ran my tongue over my own set of fangs. “Um, my family crest? I don't understand.” My mind seemed to float on a cloud of confusion.

“Well, ya turned eighteen- that be da time when y'all normally get it. Was there somethin' else then?” He raised his perfect pierced brow.

“Eh, yeah. I want to get a bat silhouette on my wrist- what's this family crest?” I looked up into his violet eyes. Wow.

“It's yer family markings. Look, obviously they didn't tell ya yet- but I believe all things happen for a reason. I'll put yers on ya under ya bat, okay?” He nodded for me to follow.

“Hey wait. What does it look like- this crest? And what about Mike's tat?” I asked as I shifted my weight on the glass topped counter.

“Here. That's yer crest. This is mine. And we don't usually tat them- but since he's with you, I'll do it. Whatcha want kid?” He turned those bright eyes on Mike as he showed me his wrist.

Wow this is awesome. The elaborate lines that formed the two crests were beautiful and intangible. At the bottom of the sheet of paper it said, “Hutchinson's.” It was utterly frightening and amazing at the same time.

“I want to get the silhouette of a wolf baying against a full moon,” Mike said as though he didn't even hear the pun about his kind.

“Right, mate. I suppose ya want yer family's pictograph as well?” His brow arched once more.

“My family's what?” Now Mike's brow shifted up as well.

“Wait, do you mean my runic symbol?”

“Yep. Apparently someone told ya something. But you're older right- at least a year. It'll happen soon- ya know- fer both of ya.” He smiled as he reached for another sheet of paper.

It was different shaped- more primal or tribal. But it was still elaborate and beautiful. What's he talking about? At the bottom of this paper, written in elegant and spidery script it said, “For Michael O'Shanold- should be with Emma Hutchinson.” Weird.

“Did my mom drop this off?” The shock was written on his face- he certainly recognized the writing.

“Yes, da lady. Don't worry I'll get da other guy to do yers. He can show ya his marks as well. Oi, Pat- da O'Shanold boy is here!” he shouted to the back as a well inked, bald giant of a man came out.

“Thanks, man.” Was all Mike said.

I followed my guy into the back as I watched Mike follow Pat into another room in the back as a girl walked to the front.

“So, little princess- why da bat?” He smiled at me and his fangs glinted in the light. “My name's William- please call me Will.”

“Hi Will. I'm Emma- but you already know that, right? How might I ask by the way? And to answer your question, I love the creatures of the night and such, so I thought I'd get a bat. Do you think it's a bad choice? Is Mike going to be okay?” I asked as I looked at the door.

“He'll be fine. Mike's in gentle hands with Patrick. Yes, I know yer name- Emma Mary Hutchinson. I can't tell ya exactly how I know as I know they've not told ya anything. Da bat I feel is apropos.” His eyes smiled and shined bright.

“Okay, I'll accept that, as I get it a lot. Thanks Will. Let's get started.” I smiled.

I watched as he pulled the cold metal tray close to the place where my arm rested- palm up. He placed a paper towel on the tray and removed several instruments from their sterilized homes. The blue and clear films broke away from the tools that were both alluring and deterring. I watched as he squeezed globs of KY jelly onto the tray to hold the smallest paper cups I'd ever seen. He filled one cup with black ink and the other with red ink. He quickly traced out a bat silhouette with my family crest under it. He held it up briefly for me to nod in approval. Then he placed a sheet to my wrist and when he pulled it away there was a purple tracing of the designs left behind on my skin.

“Will it hurt?” I asked as I chewed on my bottom lip.

“It might feel odd and ya might be getting a twitch in an odd place- don't move. I don't know whatcha did while ya was younger but it feels like scrapin' a safety pin across yer skin. Eventually it just becomes numb. Yer a tough girl though.” He smiled as he assembled the tattoo gun and tested it. Each pulse of it seemed electrifying and scary as Hell.

When the needle came down on my wrist, I managed to keep still as my mind was screaming at me that I had some serious problems.

I felt the hot burn of having the bat etched into my skin with ever deepening black ink. Each wipe he took at the bat more of the purple was replaced with swelling and angry black lines. Eventually he finished with the shading and minute details and the bat appeared carved into my flesh. It's beautiful.

“It's perfect” I squeaked as he switched the needle for a new one to use with the red.

“Ah, little princess gettin' all emotional over yer first ink.” He smiled at me.

The family crest seemed to magically appear on my skin. It didn't seem to swell as much as the other. The red against my pallor seemed to glow for a minute and then settle into place. I stared at it in awe.

“They always do that in the beginning and don't ya be askin' me why as I can't tell ya.” He looked at my crest and then at his.

He smeared some jelly onto my wrist and then covered it with plastic cling wrap, which he taped into place. “Now, leave that on til' ya get home. Here are the care instructions and some goop to help it heal,” he said as he handed me a small tin and a sheet of paper.

“Eh. Thanks. How much do I owe you?” I reached my left hand into my purse and immediately felt the intense burn of the tattoo being pushed against. That's nauseating.

“Easy there- yer lookin' a lil' pale. Here- sit. I'll make up the receipt as it's already been paid fer.” He nearly pushed me back into the chair.

“Alright,” I mumbled as I felt my stomach begin to settle itself.

I stared at my newly bandaged arm in shock and awe. I wonder what they'll say?

Once everything focused and the pain dulled back to a simple pulse, I got up and walked back to the front. Mike was waiting for me.

His same wrist was similarly wrapped and I could see the yellow moon, black wolf, and green symbol mixing with his blood- it was very similar to the bracelet image I had given him. He looked paler than earlier, but well at least.

“Thanks, guys!” I smiled at the two tattoo artists and I grabbed Mike's arm and headed for the door.

The hot air assaulted every ounce of my being. The heat also seemed attracted to the cling wrap and quickly caused my tender flesh to sear under the now oppressive sun. The car was hot and the black leather interior burned all skin it could come into contact with.

“Okay, so now I'd be grateful for a little cloud covering. How you feeling?” I wiped the sweat from my brow as I found the right air conditioning setting.

“Damn, it's hot! I'm okay. Wasn't that bad. Shouldn't we put the top up?” He looked at me and my struggle with the stupid air conditioning.

“Left it at home. No rain suspected this week,” I sighed as the high blast of cold air hit me in the face.

The drive back was silent. I could only guess that we were both thinking about what had happened and how our families would react.

The heat died away the second we reached the county line. The sky was filled with thick, fluffy clouds that acted as a filter for the sun. Even in the lightly filtered sky, Mike's house didn't look as foreboding as ours did. His house always seemed to be a mishmash of pieces- but it wasn't. It was a perfect 1870's second empire style home. The angles and windows gave it lots of space and light. But it still seemed like it held secrets- just like our house, like my family has from me.

I pulled up to his gates. Always open, unlike ours. I leaned over to give him a kiss on the cheek when he turned his head and I caught him square on the mouth.

“Eh, right. Have a great evening. I'll see ya tomorrow.” I grinned stupidly at him.

“See ya, Emma. Make it home safe okay?” He smiled at me and hopped out of my monster.

I watched him walk up his drive and get greeted at the door by his mom. Sometimes I wish someone cared enough to meet me at the door, worried. I sighed and drove home in silence.

To my surprise, when I pulled into the driveway my father was waiting for me. Man he looks pissed- good! I got out of my Jeep and put on my tough face.

“Emma, darling, I need to talk to you about that piece of art work you got on yourself today.” He sounded strangely calm.

“What, Dad? It's just a bat and the family crest, or something. I never knew we got our family crest tattooed on us. Why didn't you tell me? Do Grandpa, Grandma, and Mom have one?” I lifted my arm to show him my cling wrapped wrist.

“Emma, yes, we all have one. We have the ability to mask ours. I do wish you would have waited for the right time. You're always so quick to do things when you get an idea.” He sighed.

“I might wait if anyone ever talked to me. All of this mysterious crap is beginning to annoy me beyond words. And if you think that I've forgotten my birthday Dad, you are sadly mistaken!” The knot in my stomach tightened, my fanged teeth bit down into my lower lip, and I knew my eyes were burning bright in rage.

“Emma Mary Hutchinson. I will not tolerate such behavior from you! You will be told what you need to know when the time comes. I will not be bullied, by my own daughter, into telling you things that you would not understand. And as for your birthday, Dominic has been reprimanded for his behavior and he is quite sorry. He was only trying to help- after all. Our families are very close and nothing is going to dissolve that relationship.” His voice was frighteningly calm now, but his eyes seemed to glow with his temper and, where his sleeve was rolled up on his left arm, the family crest appeared on his wrist and seemed to glow dimly.

“What do you mean? I'm not going to be some sacrificial lamb for you to serve up to ensure some family friendship. That is just damn nonsense.” My temper was raising and I wanted to break something. Has he forgotten what that stupid guy almost did? The mirror in the garage cracked suddenly. What is going on?

“You will not talk to me in such a manner and you will do as you are told!” His voice boomed in my ears to the point where I wanted to cover them- and then he left.

I sat on the cold concrete floor of the garage and brought my knees to my chest. I won't be forced to marry some jerk to keep my family happy. The tears spilled over the brim of my eyes and cascaded down my cheeks- the mirror seemed to cry with me as it released its broken pieces to the floor. I cried with all the sorrow and anger I felt deep within my soul. I cried until my eyes held no moisture.

Once the tears had gone, I sat holding myself in shock in the darkening room.

When my mind became clear again, I vowed I'd live my life- no one would live it for me. I walked into the house, grabbed some food on the way to my room, and refused to see anyone.

Monday quickly faded into Tuesday. Ah, Halloween. My favorite holiday- nothing could ruin this day. All memories faded of Sunday as I got ready in my costume. Mike and I decided that we should wear different costumes during the day than what we intended to wear that night at the dance.

I slipped the tan stockings on and was amazed at the apparent color on my skin. I sprayed an instant tanner on myself so that I looked sun-soaked. I pulled the pale pink mini-skirt up over my rump and zipped it shut. The soft white cashmere sweater felt nice against my skin, but it felt very foreign. I took the large plastic curlers out of my hair and it shook into large bouncy curls. The bubblegum pink lip gloss caused my lips to stick together in what I thought was a silencing trap. My eyes were no longer surrounded by my beloved black liner- instead the lids were powdered a gentle pink, the lashes were curled and mascaraed, and I had only the slightest brown eye liner on. Absolutely perfect. The thought danced around me as I slipped on my white Mary

Janes. Now I look like a normal girl. I hope Mike did his part. I grabbed my pink clutch purse and went downstairs. I had asked Grandpa last night if I could borrow the silver Beemer- which of course we'd agreed to once I told him that I couldn't drive my lovely beast looking like this- as it would disgrace my car. I took the keys off the kitchen counter and went out the front door.

Mike was waiting for me at school when I got there. He looked amazing. His beautiful spikes had been gelled down and combed slightly to the right. He wore no jewelry except for his family ring. His attire was perfect- tan khakis, a white button-up with a green argyle sweater vest over it, and he had loafers on. He smiled at me when I got out of the foreign car.

“You look perfect.” I smiled back.

We look perfect, my dear,” he said as he snubbed his nose slightly in the air.

I giggled. “Quite right, my darling Michael.” I slipped my arm though his and we walked into the school.

The day was filled with people. Mike and I didn't go unnoticed.

Every female and male in the school suddenly felt the need to talk to us- as well as flirt. It was interesting to see that we could easily be King and Queen of this school if we took the time to fit in. We ate in the cafeteria and were invited to sit with everyone. For the first time in my school experience, I was popular. Even Kelly wanted to sit with us.

It was amazing to send people away with a flick of the wrist. The rest of the day passed the same. In Art, we were carving pumpkins and I played my part- claiming I couldn't possibly do it as I would get dirty. Miss Ashley found the humor in it, especially after multiple people volunteered to undertake the terribly messy experience for me. Mike and I walked out of the school together and into the parking lot.

“I think the car is a nice touch.” He beamed at me.

“I couldn't deface my dark beauty by driving it like this.” I waved over my outfit.

“Well, even like that you're the most beautiful girl I know.” His cheeks flushed.

“Perhaps you'd prefer bubblegum pink to blood red.” I stuck my tongue out at him.

He gave me a big slobbery kiss on my cheek. “I prefer whatever you want. So, I'll meet you at your house at six, okay?”

“Yup. The hearse will be there waiting to take us to the dance. See ya in a bit, Michael Darling.” I smiled.

It was difficult not to speed in that silver speed machine. Somehow I managed to stay in the limit, but, by the time I got home, my foot cramped from the restraint. The house was decked out in the usual Halloween garb. It was nice to see the house so spooky. It was the exterior, however, and the inside was normal and no one wore a costume but me. It was about four o'clock when I walked in the house, so I had two hours until Mike would appear and we had agreed that I'd be ready and outside so he wouldn't have to come in. It still hurt to think that my family had been so rude to him.

I decided to start getting everything ready. Tonight is going to be awesome. I got in the shower to wash off the fake tan and feminine pink makeup. It felt nice to see my normal skin tone once again. The orange glow swirled down the drain and I was once again my pale glory. The one nice thing about being pale is that I won't need makeup to appear deathly pale to be Dracula's bride.

I got out the shower and blew dry my hair- making sure that no curl was left. I slinked into my ethereal-like white gown. It was an exact replica of Dracula's bride's gown in that old black and white movie. It seemed all flowy, sheer, and delicate. In that, it was completely opposite of what I am or what I'd even wear. I decided I'd go barefoot with only a silver charm bracelet around my ankle. All my nails were once again stained a crimson red. My makeup was very simple- a light gray eyeshadow, venomous lips, black eye liner, and some slight shimmer to add a little spirit-like hue to my skin. My fangs were custom fitted and didn't require any gel or anything- it was difficult to get them to snap into place though.

Once I got them in and the entire look was complete- it was utterly perfect. Frighteningly so. Surely this year Mike and I will be crowned the King and Queen of the dance. Sure as heck won't happen for prom or anything. I tried to perfect my walk so it appeared that I was gliding instead of walking.

At fifteen minutes to six o'clock, I went outside and waited for Mike and the hearse to arrive. The hearse showed up first and the driver was spooktastically wonderful. He was right out of a monster movie. I, of course, loved it Mike appeared shortly after- he looked amazing. It was as though Mike had become a werewolf.

“Why, hello there tall, dark, and furry.” I purred perfectly through my fanged smile.

“Hello, my Goddess of the Night.” He smiled back and I could see the multiple sets of fangs that did not impede his speech either.

“Look, I got this for your birthday. I don't know if it will clash with your wolfy appearance too much- but here.” I handed him the velvety jewelry box.

I watched as Mike clicked the soft lid into place. God that looks odd in his werewolf hands. He slid the tiny cloth covering the bracelet I so desperately hoped he liked. And then he gasped. Oh no, he hates it.

“Emma ... it's beautiful. Will you help me put it on?” he said in a rushed tone as he examined all the details of it.

“Are you sure it won't cramp wolfman's style?” I giggled at him in relief, as I clasped the bracelet on.

“I know you're joking and all, but just so you know- this means the world to me.” He grabbed me into a hug.

We parted and I check my dress which was surprisingly still perfect. We climbed into the back of our waiting vehicle and headed toward the school.

The entire town seemed a little darker and secretive. As we drove through town we could see the small goblins and ghouls coming out for their treats. I absolutely loved it. For some strange reason, it always seemed that there were more kids that dressed up like the things that went bump in the night than sugar coated, happily ever afters. It was something I'd never understand.

When we reached the gym, it had been transformed. Mike and I paid good money to have a contractor flown in to turn the exterior of the gym into a haunted house. The inside, of course, was left up to the senior committee- which meant that Kelly and her pack had turned it into something cute. How could someone even think of Halloween as cute? It didn't matter tonight, tonight was our night.

I put my perfectly deterring fanged smile on as my wolfy man and I got out of our hearse into the circling crowd. We heard a lot of “wows” and such as we approached the gym- it was lovely.

Once inside I was shocked- it was spooktastic. Apparently, Kelly finally got the idea. When I spotted Kelly I knew this was wrong. She was wearing a pale pink princess gown and tiara. She turned her head and I noticed two things that seemed out of place. The first was a gnarly hickey on her neck that was surrounding what looked like classic vampire marks. He had fangs. The second thing I noticed was that her eyes seemed dazed. Yeah, people did drugs, but not Kelly- her crowd made fun of the stoners. Where are her groupies?

“Mike, I think there is something wrong with Kelly?” I tried to draw as little attention as possible- which was pretty hard as everyone seemed to notice us as soon as we walked in, everyone but Kelly that was.

“Whatcha mean, Em …?” His words fell short when I saw him see her.

We moved through the crowd saying “hello” to people that never talked to us before and “thanks” to those that said they'd vote for us for king and queen.

Once we got close enough to Kelly, I really knew something was wrong. She really was in a daze. My concern hiked through the roof I'd seen enough monster movies to know she was under someone's influence and it wasn't my overactive imagination playing with the concept of Halloween.

I eyed Mike so he'd know I was going to talk to her. “Hey, Kelly, nice job decorating.” I chose something that I knew she would react to.

“Oh, you really think so? Of course you do. He said you'd like it.” Her voice was faint and distant, and I had no idea why she'd care if I liked the decorations.

“Who said, Kelly?” I prayed that whoever had control over her wanted me to know who he was.

“Oh, he'll be back in a minute- he's getting us something to drink.” I really wanted to hear her voice normal again.

Mike and I both turned toward the refreshment table. That's when my eyes met with a familiar set of green eyes. Dominic. What's hedoing here? Something in my brain was having a hard time catching up to what was happening.

“What's Dominic doing here?” I said aloud.

“You mean the guy that tried to drug you?” His voice flared with anger as he moved toward the direction I was looking.

“Yes, that guy. But don't go charging off on your white horse just yet. I want to find out what he's done to Kelly.” My voice sounded small in my ears.

“Emma- I could take him, and I promise he'll tell us what we want to know.” The anger and heat coming off of him could've easily melted Dominic- at least in my opinion.

“What happened to you? You are supposed to be the voice of reason, what's all this punch now and ask later? When need to know what is wrong with Kelly.” It felt like I was pleading for Mike to take his normal approach to things.

“That guy is a skeeze. There isn't anything to think about- he needs to be put in his place, especially if he thinks he can just screw with people.” It was frightening to see Mike like this.

Okay, let's think this through. Something is up with Kelly. Dominic is here. Maybe they're in it together? I know Kelly doesn't like me- she never got over kindergarten. I also know Dominic got into some trouble for what he did. So, this is some scam they're playing against me. My monster movies are just movies, vampires and things like that don't really exist. Damn them both for screwing around tonight. My temper was getting the better of me.

“Mike, we're going to ignore them. Kelly and Dominic. Tonight is about us and I'm sure this is some trick they're playing, I mean it is trick or treat night after all.” I was trying to put all my conviction behind the words- I so desperately wanted them to be true, no one wants to believe that there really are things that go bump in the night.

“Alright, Emma. Tonight is our night- but if he gets out of line at all, I'm so there. I'm sure you're right about them screwing around too.” I could feel the anger begin to burn itself out as he looked at me.

I turned from Dominic and made sure Kelly wasn't in my view. Mike and I glided gracefully back into the crowd of welcoming comments. The night turned into a beautiful event. I managed to avoid both Kelly and Dominic the rest of the evening.

As the night began to wrap up, all the votes had been counted and now it was time to announce the king and queen. My heart beat quicker and my palms actually began to sweat. Mike gripped my hand as Principal Taylor walked up to the stage.

“Ghouls and goblins, now, as the witching hour approaches, it is time to crown the royalty of the night.” His voice boomed in the gym.

“I can't stand this,” I said to Mike.

The principal had the envelope for the queen in his hand. He popped the seal and began to speak, “Our queen of the night, who will haunt amongst her undead following, is none other than...” He paused for effect and someone yelled, “Hurry up.” “It is our very own Goth girl- Emma Hutchinson!”

The room filled with applause and cheers. I let go of Mike's hand and used my gliding walk to get to the stage. I turned to face the crowd and felt the wreath of black and red roses placed on my head. Cheers rose once again.

“Congratulations, my Little Emma Bird.” I felt his words on my neck.

My body froze in instinct. How did he get behind me? How did I not notice him? He must have put the wreath on my head. Ugh. I shivered and watched Mike's eyes on me. He knew something was wrong. I have to do something. I smiled wide and open. The effect was instant, I bared my fangs – the crowd gasped and cheered. So easy to please. But Mike's eyes still showed he was concerned.

Principal Taylor was speaking again. “Whereas the vote for our queen was unanimous, the vote for our king was split completely in half- exactly. I was the one who had to break the vote. I felt that this would be the best welcome I could offer to our new student.” He paused.

Thank God, it's Mike.

“So, without further adieu, our king, to stand beside our lovely queen, is none other than our new student ... Dominic DeDominico.”

The crowd cheered. What? New student? Holy crap! I looked at Mike and we both had fury in our eyes.

Dominic stepped out from behind me. He was dressed as Dracula. Oh my God, we match. AH! He took his cape and did an elaborate bow. He smiled as I had and bared his fangs as well. It had the same effect. God I hate him. He was crowned by a dazed looking Kelly. Okay I really want this night to end now.

Mike stepped to the stairs to the stage and he was waiting for me.

“Now, Dracula and his bride will have their dance.”

The room turned black except for the numbing glow of the spotlight hitting us. Dominic held out his hand to me. I'd like to do something with that hand.

Instead of beating him with his own hand- I took it as to not make a show. We walked down the opposite stairs Mike was standing at, but I knew Mike could easily follow the spotlight. I couldn't see anything but Dominic. He led me out to the center of the gym. The area cleared instantly and we swept into yet another waltz.

“Why are you here?” I hissed through my fanged teeth.

“Because you're mine.” His words held only a possessive tone.

“I belong to myself. Besides, I'm already with someone.” I sneered at him.

“It doesn't matter about your pet; he'll leave your mind once the change occurs. I am patient.” His tone never changed. God save me.

“I still won't want you; even if Mike decided he didn't want to be with me.” It hurt to say the words but I needed it to be clear that I wouldn't leave Mike.

He laughed. “Oh, Emma. You are naïve. It doesn't matter what you say now anyways.” He smiled again.

“What did you do to Kelly?” I wanted to change the subject and I needed to know that Kelly was fine.

“Nothing that she didn't ask for. She'll be fine. You know she's jealous of you right?” He cooed at me.

“What? No she isn't.” I shook my head but kept my smile in place. I wouldn't make a scene here.

“Oh, she is. You walk to your own tune. You shun those that don't and you easily drew Michael to you.” His voice held laughter.

The music stopped and flowed into a new song.

“Thank you for the dance, Dominic, but my date is waiting for me. Welcome to our school.” I pulled away from him and backed into Mike.

He nearly growled as he stared at Dominic with hatred. Dominic merely smiled and bowed to Mike, as if inviting him to do something. Then he walked off with Kelly who had apparently followed the light as well. Mike exhaled a long breath and we swept into another dance- it was fast and helped to relieve some of the tension that had just formed.

By the end of the dance, Mike and I were once again in good spirits. Everything had fallen back into place.

Mike and I rode to my house in the hearse in silence. When we got there, he smiled and gave me a gentle kiss.

“Goodnight, my love, I'll write to you.” He got on his bike and took off.

I went inside and upstairs. I gratefully put on my satin jammies and climbed into bed. Sleep took me instantly. I only hoped for a dream free night- even though I knew I'd definitely have at least one.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.2K 2.2K 45
In the halls of Beckham high school, Emma reigns as the most popular girl, enjoying the privileges bestowed upon her by her Alpha brother. However, h...
4K 60 16
They say life is only precious because it ends. Ebony is a Vampire so death isn't really in her plans but neither is a prophecy. With the help of her...
10.9K 908 80
Book 1 of 2 Aislinn Jones has had a unique problem for as long as she can remember: her dreams. They are vivid and haunting, and plague her whenever...
110K 4.8K 67
Book One of a three part series 18+ will contain mature content TW - mentions of rape, gore, abuse, sex, death "Watch your tone Lillian or you will...