chapter five

Chapter Five

When I awoke the next day it was to a light tapping at my door. My eyes felt strange like yesterday was all a weird dream and I really belonged here.

I stumbled out of the extra cush bed and got to the door. It took me a minute to figure out how to pull the latch on the door to unlock it, and I suddenly felt very stupid as I mumbled through the door about being another second.

When I got it open, Dominic stood on the other side of the door looking fully amused and very alert.

I grumbled and headed back for the bed. “What do you want?”

“Well, I thought that you would like something to eat and that you would like to get up before everyone gets here. It is about one and they should get here around three.” He walked over to the bed and placed a small tray with a cinnamon roll and a hot chocolate down.

“Mmm. That smells delicious, but I thought people weren't supposed to eat on days of huge meals here in Europe. What's in that cocoa?” My mouth was watering as I grabbed hold of the roll and bit off a piece that I followed to drown with the yummy hot chocolate.

“Um, the cinnamon roll has hazelnut in it, and the hot chocolate is a recipe that my parents picked up in a Mesoamerican study, or something,” he shrugged.

“And what are the rules on eating?” I asked as I stuffed more of the pastry into my waiting mouth.

“Eat as much as you want, when you want. The only other thing that you must learn will come later. But now, you eat and then you get ready to face an army of people you won't know. I was wondering, Emma, how you want to handle the questions that will be asked regarding us?” He looked down at his shoes as he rose from the corner of the bed he had occupied.

“Well, I hadn't thought about answering questions. I had only thought about appearances. I am not sure what to say. What do you think? And, are you sure that you want to do this?” I tried to convey all my hope that he wouldn't get hurt, but he should have a chance to back out.

“Emma Mary Hutchinson, when we were little kids I knew that you were the one that I was to be with forever, and I was sure then. When I saw you again at your birthday, I did not handle things well, but my feelings did not change- they have not. I know that I will probably end up hurt in the end, but we will think of something to do about it. And as for the questions that arise, perhaps we answer them as best we can … we can help each other. I am not going to leave you to get eaten by all those people. I will be there- if you want me.” The passion that filled his words as he spoke of his love for me fled him completely when he offered his company for the evening.

“Dominic, I am speechless about what you said. I wish that my family would have mentioned something to me. But they didn't. When I was small, Issy was my best friend and we thought it would be awesome if you and I got married because then we'd be sisters; but then you guys moved, and I was left alone and I never fit in. Mike was the first person that shunned the popular crowd to be with me. I have dreamed of him since you guys left. I don't know how to explain it … I feel like him and I are destined to be connected in some way. Does that make sense? You, of course, are very welcome to be my companion for the evening. I would be honored to have you with me.” I looked up into his intense eyes and blushed immensely.

“Emma, nothing is decided for you. Please remember that. You control what happens in your life. Carpe Diem. Things will become clear for you when it needs to be. I am willing to wait until things are certain for you. I am very patient as I told you before. And I do understand what you told me about the dream, I am sure that I have shared this dream with you both since we came to live here. I understand that now. We shall talk on this later. Now, you get ready and