chapter three

Chapter Three

When the darkness faded back into light, it was the next morning. My head ached and my mouth tasted like old blood. My mind was completely blank and I couldn't remember anything from the night before. Oh no, what did I do last night?

I had the sickening feeling that something happened last night. The feeling was like an ominous cloud, waiting to break open and pour down on me.

The bad vibes never left me all day. I couldn't remember the night before and I was afraid to ask if I had done something. I managed to avoid my family and most of the guests, but, when I did come across someone's path, they seemed a bit nervous around me- like I'd suddenly bite them, or something. I tried to call Mike, but he still had family over and he couldn't talk long. I so needed someone to tell me everything would be fine. I knew something had happened last night and everything was forever changed as a result.

It was nightfall when Grandpa finally caught up to me. I was terribly nervous and I didn't want to look him in the eyes. Man, I'm such a chicken.

“Emma, I noticed that you've been avoiding everyone today and I have a feeling that you don't remember last night- an unfortunate after effect of what Dominic tried to do.” His wise eyes burned fierce.

“No, Grandpa, I don't remember. Should I be ashamed of myself? What happened? What did he do?” I wanted to cry.

“My darling little Emma, you have nothing to be ashamed of. You were absolutely well-behaved. You danced beautifully with Dominic, you didn't murder your father for the announcement of your betrothal, and you did the right thing by calling for me when Dominic got out of line outside.” He looked away as though he was ashamed for not stopping all the badness of the night before.

Slowly all the happenings from the night before started to flood back to me. I didn't know whether to be sick or pissed.

“Grandpa, what did he give me?”

“Well, sweetheart, I can't tell you exactly what he gave you but it was meant to help you change. Think of it as an accelerant … catalyst.” He seemed very upset.

“Okay, I get that there are some things you can't tell me- but why? What would it hurt if I knew more about this change?” I could feel my temper rising and I couldn't even justify it to myself.

“Emma, the reason we've not talked to you about what's going to happen is because of two reasons. The first is that we're worried how you'll handle the information. The second is because it's a family secret and we couldn't risk you telling anyone.” I knew he was trying to be kind but I could tell something was bothering him.

I felt angry for being lied to about what was happening with my own body and not being trusted. “Grandpa, I'm extremely upset. I don't understand why I'm not being trusted enough to know what's going on inside me- or whatever this change is.” I knew my eyes were flashing dangerously as my temper grew.

“I'm sorry, Emma, it isn't my place. You'll have to take it up with your parents. If they agree then I'll tell you- until then my hands are tied.” With that Grandpa walked off.

That's when I felt like something inside me broke. I stormed up to my room and screamed into my pillows. My temper was raging when I heard the light rap at my door and I knew it was my mother. What does she want?

“Come in, Mom,” I said trying to control the fire burning inside me.

“You're much like your grandfather- do you know that? Speaking of him, he said you wanted to ask about something?” She was smiling but clearly examining my room with obvious disappointment. Why does she even bother? Ugh!