SEVENTEEN years to Live

By KendrickSupnet

After the war, the survivors created a government they believed would prevent the rapid growth of the world's... More

PROLOGUE ●○►DEPTON REPUBLIC
1 ●○► AT THE LAKE
2 ●○► DISAPPOINTED
3 ●○► CANDIES AND LOLLIPOPS
4 ●○► THE LAKE AGAIN
5 ●○► KEVIN'S GIRLFRIEND
6 ●○► DECISION
7 ●○► THE SON OF THE MAYOR
8 ●○► REALIZING
9 ●○► JANINE'S SITUATION
10 ●○► SOCCER
11 ●○► RETURN
13 ●○► THE WEIGE MANSION
14 ●○► THE CONFERENCE ROOM
15 ●○► BETH
16 ●○► A JOURNEY
17 ●○► DEPTON CITY
18 ●○► THE DEPTON CITY EXECUTION BUILDING
19 ●○► THE CHALLENGE
20 ●○► A PROBLEM
21 ●○► HOME
22 ●○► SEPHRED
23 ●○► EXCITEMENT
24 ●○► WILD AT NIGHT
25 ●○► THE ATHLETIC SIDE OF SEPHRED
26 ●○► DROPS OF WATER
27 ●○► ANNOUNCEMENT

12 ●○► ANOTHER TEAM

211 3 2
By KendrickSupnet

CHAPTER TWELVE

●○► ANOTHER TEAM

When Baron and Dave step into the field, Kate and Heather start to cheer.

Every one of us is expecting a good game from them. Baron and Dave are teamed up with Emil, and some rules are added in the game. Baron and Dave will play around the field; Emil will still be guarding the goalpost. But since Emil is with Baron and Dave, he will let the ball go so that their can score. Of course, Emil has to catch the ball the other teams throw at him; the “three catches” rule is still applied.

The teams have gone back into the field, all waiting for Beth’s whistle. The girls give a long cheer first, each supporting one team. There is a moment of loud voices bouncing in the empty air. I can see the boys smiling at us. The expression on their faces looks as if it is their first time to see this kind of weirdness. Yes. I think we’re weird.

Finally, Beth blows the whistle.

The ball is at the center of the field, waiting to be taken by the Snatchers. In Emil’s team, Baron has volunteered to snatch the ball. I can see his teeth clenched as he pushes his feet harder on the ground. Bryan and Patrick struggle toward the ball. Among the three, no one is the fastest; they all have the same speed. It’s hard to know who can get the ball first. If not, who can kick it and pass it to their teammate?

The girls’ cheers go louder as the three guys get closer to the ball.

“Go Patrick!” “Go Baron!” “Go Bryan!”

For a moment, I notice that I am the only one who supports Bryan. I shout, “GO BRYAN!” at the top of my lungs. Bryan seems to hear me. I see him smile, but only for a second, then his face turns serious, fierce. I clap my hands.

The three of them has finally reached the ball. But it is Patrick who kicks it to Paul who is running near the edge of field. Paul jumps a little and makes the ball bounce at the top of his head. It lands on the grass very softly and he manages to protect it from Michael who is running toward him.

Michael tries to scare Paul. I see his face make an evil look at him. Paul looks away from him and watch the ball below him instead. He tries to keep it away from Michael because he has already reached him. Paul turns his back to him, taking the ball with him in every turn. Michael kicks his feet to snatch the ball. And after a few kicks later, he succeeds.

Michael takes the ball with him as he runs for the goalpost. Emil poses to ready, hands and eyes alert. He watches Michael move toward him, examining the way he acts. Michael’s fast. He kicks the ball in a blink of an eye Emil doesn’t even notice the ball is already passing next to his ear.  I hear Emil grunt in frustration. Then I jump to my feet to cheer for the Blue Team.

“WOOH!” I shout, clapping my hands.

“That’s alright!” Heather says. And my head suddenly turns to her in surprise. “We can still overtake their score. GO BARON!” She puts her hands at the sides of her mouth as she shouts. “Wooh!”

When I sit back down, the game resumes. Jed has the ball, kicking it with small force while protecting it from Dave who appears behind him. Dave runs as fast as he can toward Jed. Jed then starts to make his kicks hard as he runs, putting the ball few feet away then coming to fetch it back. For a few moments, Dave is already beside him, pushing him to the side with his large built so Jed will lose his balance. Jed fights him, still protecting the ball. But then Dave snatches it and he takes it with him toward the goalpost. After a second, he shoots the ball with a blinding speed to get a score.

Now the Red Team and Emil’s Team have the same score: six. The Blue Team has eight points so far. And the game will only end when a team gets a score of ten—two points for the Blue team to earn.

Kate gets to her feet, cheering for her boyfriend, yelling his name repeatedly until Dave notices.

“I love you, baby!” Dave yells from the field, blowing a kiss at her.

“I love you, too!” Kate says, then claps her hands at him before settling back down. “You see how my boyfriend plays?” I know she is looking at us. Her voice carries a boastful tone. She isn’t like this before. She never boasts us about something before. I know she’s proud, not only of her boyfriend but also the success she’s had of getting him. No one minds her. And with that, she turns to watch her Dave and my Bryan fight to get the ball.

Now I know how Dave plays. He is a good Stealer. Bryan has the ball in his protection, keeping it away from Dave’s long legs. Dave tries to get past through Bryan’s guard, but my boyfriend has a good talent of keeping it safe. Bryan is moving fast, and I see Dave getting tired and confused of him already. Bryan is having fun playing with the ball, like teasing Dave.

“You cannot get it, can you?” Bryan says. “Come on. Get it.”

Dave takes a long breath before he lunges forward at Bryan. Bryan dodges very quickly, the ball still in him. Lucky that Dave hesitates for a moment. It buys time for Bryan to kick the ball hard to the goalpost. The ball soars high into the air, making Emil alert. He raises his hands above his head and opens his palms. He can catch it, I think. And he will.

Before the ball reaches Emil’s palms, Beth blows her whistle. All pair of eyes goes to her, each wondering what is wrong.

“What’s the problem, Beth?” Patrick, who is the nearest player to her, asks.

Beth is silent for a moment as she glances from Patrick to Emil, then back to Patrick again. She sighs, biting her lips, her face showing anxiousness.

“Hey!” It’s Paul, his hands on his waist. “Why did you sound the whistle?” I notice the curious tone in his voice.

“Well,” Beth starts. “I am so sorry guys. I never meant to do that. I was supposed to scream but I forgot that the whistle was still in my mouth. Sorry.”

“Oh, Beth,” Heather sighs in exasperation. “You are so stupid!”

“So careless, too,” Kate says.

For a second I realize now why Heather and Kate are complaining. Emil was about to catch the ball. Their team was about to earn one-third of another score. I glance toward Emil’s direction. The ball is a feet in front of him. I am definitely sure Emil flinched when the whistle blew, and he did not catch it.

Beth says, “Sorry guys.” And she makes a peace sign to the players, especially to Baron, Dave and Emil.

THIRTY MINUTES LATER

The Blue Team has earned another point—only one point to go and they win. The Red Team has eight, and Emil’s Team has eight and two-third—only one catch from Emil and they will become tie with the Blue team.

In those thirty minutes, I was amazed by how excellent Dave played. He snatched the ball many times from the other teams and shot it toward the goalpost. Emil had gotten more serious now, catching the ball in his hands carefully so it wouldn’t fall down to result a “no one-third” score. Baron had rarely had the ball. He shot it once, but Michael was there and got the ball.

Dave is running at his full speed toward Paul who has the ball. I can see in Paul’s face that he is nervous by the fact that Dave is chasing behind him. Paul doesn’t know what to do with the ball. He is just left with two choices. Either he gives Emil’s team a score when he shoots the ball, or pass it to Patrick or Jed who are very far from him in the field. He’s so confused. But before Dave gets to him, he makes his decision, and kicks the ball toward the goalpost.

His kick is perfect. The ball seems to dance in the air before it falls down toward the goalpost. But there are a lot of odds that Emil can catch it. If he catches it, his team and the Blue Team will play for the win.

Finally the ball suddenly stops in his hands. He did it. They will play with the Blue Team to win the game.

Although the Red Team has lost, they still have to play in the field. They can still earn a score so they will all tie. Who will win? I guess it depends on how the teams will play. I will continue to support Bryan, Michael and Marvy.

Heather and Kate have gotten to their feet to cheer Emil’s Team. They make their voices louder, like they are trapped inside a burning house and not getting any help. I also get into my feet, yelling my boyfriend’s name and also his teammates. Janine and Beth have joined us few moments later, just clapping their hands and waiting for the game to resume.

It is about three minutes before Beth blows the whistle, and the game finally starts.

The Red Team has the ball. It is Patrick who tries to get it closer to the goalpost. He runs as fast as he can, pushing his feet harder on the ground the grasses he steps on are pushed into the soil. Meanwhile, Baron chases behind him, reading Patrick moves so he can know what is the next thing he’ll do. When Baron is a few meters from Patrick now, he gestures something to Dave—a soccer language which means to help him. Dave runs in Patrick’s opposite direction. They are trying to corner him so they can get the ball and finally win.

But Patrick is a good soccer player. He slows down and turns toward his right where Jed is. He kicks the ball toward him, making Baron and Dave hesitate for what he’s done. Good move!

When Jed gets the ball, I see Bryan appear running toward him. This is it! The Blue Team will finally win. Bryan looks around, finds Michael, and gestures him to help him corner Jed like what Baron and Dave did. They are trying to make it successful. Jed has no one to help him; even his two teammates cannot because they are too far away to do so. I wonder what his next move will be. Is he going to kick it? Or is he going to make Bryan and Michael try to get it from him?

“GO BRYAN!” I shout, my hands all over my mouth so he can hear. Instead of smiling, he just becomes more serious than ever. I can see the lust for the win trailing down his face. As he gets near of Jed, Michael already reaches him behind and snatches the ball. He passes it to Marvy who is near the goalpost and expects that he is going to whack his head to put it in.

Instead, he makes it bounce in his head, and Baron stands over the landing place of the ball before scoring another goal.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 120 38
The government has a secret, they are the cause of the apocalypse of the dead. They wanted a weapon, something that no one would be able to beat. The...
945 47 31
"Do not find love. Let love find you" -------------- "What did he do this time, princess?" Grayson purrs in my ear. He actually purrs. Pushing him b...
826 460 40
I've never been able to taste fear before, but I do now, it lingers in the air. Like a flame. Kindled by the president, fed by the citizens, and I'm...
619 42 41
It's the year 2124. The technology has become very advanced. There are force fields up at the border of every state to ensure security. The force fie...