The White Wolf

By Walking_Smile

Sydney Watkins is just an average girl trying to make her way through high school with her not so popular fri... More

Author Note
One: Vinegar Balloons
Two: The Purple Case
Three: Big Brother
Four: Recorded
Five: The New Comer
Six: Leaning Forward
Seven: Stranger Danger & Detention
Eight: Lunch Detention
Nine: Replay and Remember
Ten: The Forest
Eleven: Race & Run
Twelve: Dreams & Voices
Thirteen: Confused
Fourteen: Poisonous Vines
Fifteen: Shower Scare
Sixteen: Dark Shadows & Cries for Help
Seventeen: The Letter
Eighteen: Secret Places & Explanations
Nineteen: The Hunt
Twenty: Conversation With a Wolf
Twenty-One: Ice Cream Chaos
Twenty-Two: Lost
Twenty-Three: Somewhere Out There in a Meadow
Twenty-Four: The Morning After
Twenty-Five: The Whole Story
Twenty-Six: Check
Twenty-Seven: Games & Dinner
Twenty-Eight: Glowing White
Twenty-Nine: Friends with Hugging Benefits
Thirty: Music & Plans
Thirty-One: Dreams, Kisses, and Fear
Thirty-Two Part 1: Cafe's Blondie
Thirty-Two Part 2: Performance Prep
Thirty-Two Part 3: Fright Night
Thirty-Three: Unexpected Help
Thirty-Four: The Escape
Thirty-Five: Mother, Son, and Searches
Thirty-Six: Running
Thirty-Seven: Motel Room for Two
Thirty-Eight: Staged and Free
Thirty-Nine: Hopeful Hurt
Forty: Why
Forty-One: Just Great
Forty-Three: Glowing White Again
Forty-Four: Angry Kisses
Forty-Five: Make-Up Dinner for Four
Forty-Six: New Comrades
Forty-Seven: Shifting Moment
Forty-Eight: New Interest
Forty-Nine: Secrets Revealed
Fifty: Breaking News
Fifty-One: Road Trip
Fifty-Two: 'We'
Fifty-Three: Neck Ringing
Fifty-Four: Pandemonium
Fifty-Five: A Day Later
Fifty-Six: Prepared with a Sort of Plan...
Fifty-Seven: Drug Around
Fifty-Eight: Broken Star
Author Note

Forty-Two: Perfectly Calm...

35K 1.1K 356
By Walking_Smile

Sydney

I was hurt and angry. I was more than angry and hurt. I was trying to hold back the wolf inside me who was trying to leap out of me and tear her to shreds.

Was it wrong, really wrong, to smile at the thought of Jasmine tripping and tumbling down the stairs, breaking a few of the bones in her body?

I don't think so. My wolf smirked at the thought alongside me.

To my dismay, she skipped down the stairs agilely, and unharmed when she reached the bottom, Jasmine rushed to Jay's side. "What's going on?"

"Nothing. Leave." Jay demanded his eyes glowing from anger.

My wolf was leaping in joy form the way Jay chided at her, but I fought to keep my face neutral.

Jasmine pouted, "But J-"

"He said get off him and get the fuck out of his house you little bitch!"

I turned to see it was Mat who had said that shockingly. Mat wasn't ever one to usually lose his cool, let alone at a girl.

Jasmine's head snapped to Mat, "Was I asking you, you little wannabee? No, I wasn't, so go screw your little blonde bitch over there." Jasmine jerked her head towards me.

What the?

Growls were raised all over the room.

"Do not demean our Luciana." Mat snarled at her.

"Well nobody even wants her here! Ever since she got here all she's caused is trouble! I mean, you guys haven't been to school in over a week and that means tons of the girls haven't got dates for prom! The girls and I have been dodging all the other wannabees from asking us out all week! I mean come on! I have a reputation to uphold and so do you guys! People are going to get cozy with the way things are and forget their place."

Holy mother of glory. She's really concerned with freaking prom?!

Before I even realized what I was doing I was holding her by her neck as she dangled in the air.

I don't know if I've ever moved that fast.

Her hands flew to my wrist to keep herself from chocking.

"Here a war's about to rage and you are concerned about prom!?"

"You're just u-upset that you c-can't get Jay as your p-prom date. And h-how do we know you're not j-just m-making t-this war a b-bigger thing t-then necessary."

My grip tightened. "You honestly think I would make up such a thing because I can't get a prom date?"

"N-no. Y-you're upset b-because y-you can't have him like I c-can and do."

I lost it.

All I could think was killing the black-haired whore. Throwing her into the closest wall she screamed out in pain. I was on her in a flash and noticed at some point my nails had elongated.

"Sydney!" I was pulled from off the girl and crushed into someone's wide stretch of chest.

"Star, calm down. I am all yours. I don't love her. I don't care about her, Sydney."

"You are mine!" My wolf stated almost completely taking over my body.

"Come on Star, you will regret it once you come back to. You're not a killer Sydney, even if you hate her with every being in your body."

I looked up into Jay's eyes with tears wailing in my eyes.

"What did I do? Did I do something wrong? I-I know that I might not be as adept to all of this as her but-"

"Stop. Stop talking right now-"

Before he even finished I shoved away from him and was out the front door, tears spilling down my cheeks.

☽✣☾

Jay

She didn't wait for me to finish what I was saying.

I was going to tell her not to even think that for one second and that she did nothing wrong. That all of this was my idiotic idea, that this was supposed to show her I'm no good for her.

Behind me, there was a whimper.

"Jaycen," Jasmine sobbed.

I turned and with all my will power restrained myself from tearing her to shreds the way the dark and wild side of my wolf begged to.

"Get out." My voice was steel.

"But Ja-"

"Get the fuck out of my house before I banish you from the pack."

This shot shock into Jasmine. Then her eyes narrowed as she quickly scrambled out of my house.

"Jay you better go find Sydney. Who knows what's out th-"

I was already out of the house before Mat could finish talking.

Running outside I shifted not caring about my shredded clothing. My wolf quickly locked onto my mate's scent and we tore off through the ticket of the woods.

As we ran, I realized the path we were taking was familiar, but cries cut me off from thinking anymore. I slowed down into a trot and slowly detected where the soft laments were coming from.

Through the thick bushes and prickly thorns was my mate sitting against the log wearing one of my shirts and a giant pair of sweatpants that I previously hid in the log. Her cries and sobs ate my heart.

Slowly I slipped from my hiding spot and walked softly over to Sydney.

She held in a breath as she turned and realized it was me and not an intruder. Though I wasn't sure which one she would prefer right now.

Let me talk to her.

Alright, I said handing over the reins to my wolf.

"What do you want?" She asked, her voice cracking along the way.

"You Sydney, you, and only you." My wolf murmured gently.

"You sure have a funny way of showing it." Sydney hissed out loud angrily.

"Sydney, we were doing it for you..."

"Well, you know what?"

"Er...I don't know..."

"You and Jay broke our heart."

My wolf's head dropped and whined, pawing at the ground.

"I'm sorry Sydney...You and your wolf deserve better...We failed you. You called for help and still, we weren't there. And we couldn't stop it, we tried to follow you as long as we could, but it still wasn't enough..."

"Jay..." Sydney warned tears fogging up her eyes. "Did you sleep with her?"

"No Sydney, we would never!"

Her lip quivered. "I know what I saw. I saw you in bed with her...And you were holding her."

"Sydney, you need to understand. Jay and I love you with all our might, and we can't do the simplest thing of protecting you! You deserve someone who can defend you and protect you with all their might, and not fail. We didn't sleep with her. I'll be honest, we invited her alongside us hoping it would push you away and to someone greater."

All of a sudden I was engulfed in a hug. Sydney had her arms thrown around my furry neck and her head was nuzzling my neck.

"Don't leave me." She chocked out, her voice choppy. "Please, you'll fail me if you let me go."

Shifting back into human form Sydney stumbled a little in shock before I swept her up in my arms.

With her small form cradled to my chest, I walked over to the log and sat down in front of it so I could lean us against it and stare out into the abyss of trees below. I held Sydney in my lap while she held onto me, her hands on my shoulder blades. My body was on fire where she touched.

I growled softly missing the feel of her against me.

"If that is what you want, I'll never leave you Sydney, never," I whispered combing through her hair.

"Good, because I don't want you too."

We collapsed into a peaceful silence as we stared out off over the cliff where trees stood tall and dark as the sun slowly started to rise and fill the sky with pink.

☽✣☾

The silence was broken finally by Sydney.

"Jay?"

"Mhm?" I  mumbled turning from looking out to nuzzling her soft cheek.

"You know it wasn't your fault the other night, at the club."

I let a deep breath fill my lungs until it was painful. Then I signed and tugged her into my embrace.

"I feel that it was Sydney and I don't think anything you say about it will make me change my mind about it."

She sighed softly. "Well, it wasn't things happened so fast and Brendon...Wait, is Brendon alright?" Sydney asked alarmedly.

A soft growl escaped my throat, "Yes, your friend is fine. He's been unconscious for the past days and he hasn't woken up yet, but he's alive."

"Logan has his mate and his sister," Sydney explained to me.

I frowned at this, "He's not a werewolf."

Sydney shrugged. "I talked to his mate. It's Elliot and Logan's little sister, Sasha."

"Well, I will have Robert check into it."

"Robert?" Sydney's eyebrow cocked up as she questioned the unfamiliar name.

"Terrence's father, the pack doctor."

Sydney looked at me exhaustedly, "You know you can't be too angry at him..."

"Like hell, I can! He screwed my sister like she was nothing and left her the next morning!" Annoyance and hurt bubbled up in me at the sheer thought.

"Jay, calm down," Sydney soothed, placing a hand on my arm stroking softly.

Pushing my face into her thick blonde locks I took deep breaths to calm down.

Orange blossoms...

"I'm sorry."

I felt her hand combed through my hair delicately brushing the hairs on my upper neck as well. "It's alright," she cooed.

While her words granted me some reassurance, I still couldn't help all the doubt and fear that had been building up in me. "I-I just don't know. I'm not sure about anything. I'm scared of losing you, I'm scared of my sister getting hurt, I'm scared my best friend will leave me, I'm scared that so many people are going to try and take you from me, I'm scared of this war that's bound to happen, I'm scared of completing the handing over the reins because I don't know if I can handle it. I'm terrified, Sydney."

Admitting all of this made me feel weak. I come to realize I had so little power and Sydney's kidnapping diminished any little strength I thought I had.

Her hand had stopped massaging the back of my neck and now lied still.

"Shh, Jaycen, it's alright," She whispered into my ear as I buried my head deeper into the crock of her soft neck, my eyes producing wetness against her delicate skin. I tried to fight back the pain and anger I was feeling, but my tears kept building.

"I may be new to this but I'm going help you as much as possible Jay. I mean, I may end up screwing this up more than fixing it, but I'll do my best not to, and no matter what I'll always be there at your side. We're mates Jay, two halves that make a whole..." Her voiced veered off for a moment. "I think you forget sometimes that we're just eighteen. You've tried handling everything including me the best you can. You have been so kind and helpful with everything I've undergone, and I think you can agree that you shouldn't have had to deal with the violence and struggles that you have. But, nevertheless, you're still standing, so that has to speak for something." She paused to take a breath, "I know I might not be able to convince you otherwise, but I'll say it again, I don't for a second blame you for what happened at the cafe. I want you to have more faith in yourself. Just like you believe in and adore me, I believe in and absolutely adore you." She chuckled softly and added lightheartedly, "Just don't go pulling any more stunts to push me away, so I won't have to let my wolf have a talking to with you. You hear me?"

I shook my head, yes, indicating I wouldn't do anything that hurt her that badly again.

"Good, then with my awesomeness and your semi-awesomeness, we'll be the most awesome of awesome mates in history."

I pulled away, surely red-eyed and laughed.

"Excuse me, but I make this," I pointed between us, "awesome."

She cocked her head to the side skeptically, "Woah, slow your roll mister Alpha. Last I checked you didn't pass the awesome test, while moi here broke the freaking scale!" Sydney said placing a hand on her chest.

"Oh sure Star, you broke the awesome scale, I hope you know that I, Jaycen Freakin' Ward, established said scale."

She rolled her eyes dramatically at both my mockery of adding Freakin' to my name and my superbe adlibbed storytelling.

"Lordy, now you're making me out to not only be un-awesome, but you're questioning my intellect too now?" Sydney pretended to question.

Happiness speared my heart at the normalcy of our conversation now and I threw myself at Sydney hugging her close. "Never," I growled playfully at her.

Sydney's wolf surfaced with the darkening of her eyes and she playfully nipped my bottom lip. A smirk grew on my lips and launching myself at Sydney we tumbled backward onto the ground. Rolling around in the dirt we laughed and yelled playfully. I tried tickling her while she tried to escape or attack me back. We ended up with me pinning her to the ground while nipping at Sydney's exposed ear, similarly to wolves when they play or retribution to a small pup.

Pulling back, I chuckled at Sydney, my eyes capturing hers. "So, who's awesomer now?"

"Well, definitely not the perv perving on me," Sydney joked, wiggling her eyebrows to the best of her ability.

I rolled my eyes, "Oh whatever!"

Then she seemed to realize as she looked down between us that I was naked. Her pretty green eyes snapped up to me.

"Like what you see?" I quirked, my own eyebrows raised.

Blush consumed her innocent face, "Oh, shut up! Get off me you heavy butt."

I looked down at my butt. "Do you think air makes my butt look big?"

She giggled and pushed me off of her, then let me pull her to a standing position. Standing, she drapped her arm over her eyes to avoid seeing my full nakedness.

"Go get our extra pants or whatever from the log."

"No can do Sweets, you're wearing my last pair."

Once again her cheeks burned with crimson.

"Oh...Uh you can have your pants back?" She asked more than told.

"So you don't want to see my sexiness?" I questioned suggestively, knowing she wouldn't take the bat.

She turned her head in the direction of my voice, and I could practically see the daggers behind her arm.

"Alright, alright. Goodness, no need to be so angry." I replied mockingly defensive.

I walked in front of her ready to help undress her, she would never go for that, or to help her stay standing. She tugged off my huge sweatpants that she was previously swimming in, and unaware of my close proximity, prepared to toss them over to me when she recognized my presence in front of her and paused.

Wow, that was sudden, I thought.

Her breath caught too, and I could feel it brush against my bare chest.

I knew my eyes were darkened with lust and my wild animalistic side. My wolf was like a shark in that moment swimming and circling getting read to breach the surface.

"Jay," She whispered.

This only darkened my eyes and I snaked my arm around her petite waist and pulled her close.

Gasping she threw her arms around my neck, automatically. My grip tightened on her waist as I appreciated the lustful aroma building between Sydney and me. The pants slipped from her fingers and crimpled to the ground behind me.

Whether it was the wave of emotions rushing over me from the entirety of the night, or simply the sheer beauty of Sydney, her radiate blonde hair, and her radiantly happy green eyes, my own eyes dropped to the peach of her lips.

I felt Sydney hold her breath as I used my free hand to lightly rest on her hip. When she didn't object, my hand ghost to the middle of her back, her spine arched with my hand to press her body closer to my body. Her scent washed over and I bathed in the calming aroma. When one of her hands left their braced position on my chest, my heart raced thinking she was going to put an end to this, but, instead, her small, soft hand went to rest on the back of my neck.

Nervous with the prospect she could change her mind, I no longer wanted to give her a chance to back away. But just as I went to close my eyes, I saw her eyes flutter shut. My heart soared as my own eyes followed sync, and together we found each other's lips as though we'd had been doing this for a lifetime.

Starting out as a light brush of our lips, so gentle, it was almost as if we read each other's minds, and needed to confirm out presence to one and other as we both went back for another taste.

Want...

Still gentle, our lips pressed fuller together, marking our existence on one and other. My blood and wolf hummed with pleasure, I squeezed the hand on her hip before letting go of that one hand and burying it in her lusciously soft hair. Her newly freed hand found a home hooked around my arm spayed on my strong shoulder blade. I could feel her fanned out fingers as though they were my first experience of the sensation of touch.

Angling my head, I pressed deeper into the kiss, we pulled apart to catch our breath quickly, only to have Sydney come back equally as desperate and passionate as I felt.

The hand around my neck found its way into the thick locks of my hair, this ever-deepening the kiss that had started out ever so faint and was now turning into a fire.

I pulled her body flush against my, provoking a small gasp from her. This caused a small grin to take hold of me, one that Sydney surely felt as we kissed, making her smile, which turned into a great opportunity for me to take hold of her bottom lip playfully with my teeth.

Play and care for our mate.

I couldn't help myself, I didn't realize till now how close my wolf was to the surface. Either way, instead of scaring her off, this made her grin grow, and I let go. Our blossoming kiss turned into a mess of smiles and laughter.

Her bright green eyes connected with mine, and I was surprised when her eyes fluttered close a second time and she pulled me back to her.

Sydney's lips pressed to mine soft and smooth. My fingers dug into her hips as she dragged through my thick locks. Her mouth opened and my tongue slipped out and flickered against her bottom lip. She moaned, pressing her fingers into my scalp as she lightly massaged my head.

Instinctually, I flicked my hips into hers, only to realize how dangerously close to I was to Sydney's now naked innocence.

We collapsed into the damp grass and Sydney was on top of me, but the feeling of her partially naked body on my naked body stopped me from saying anything.

With her teeth, Sydney decided to capture my bottom lip between hers. I couldn't help but groaned and bucked my hips into hers making everything snap back to reality.

Gasping Sydney said pulling back, "We got-to-stop,"

She combed my hair back behind my ear as I lay beneath her and stared up at Sydney's flushed self.

I swallowed hard and nodded. "I know." I kissed her forehead before letting her roll to the side so we lay side by side and faced each other.

"I've missed you," I whispered, my gaze moving over every inch of her body as I lightly drew circles on her bare thigh with my thumb.

"I missed you so much."

I swallowed heavily and pulled her deeper into my solid warm chest.

"Don't leave me, don't ever leave me like that again," I begged painfully.

A flash of remembered fear echoed in her eyes, as she nodded looking up into my pleading eyes. "Never again Jay, never."

I nodded, content, and buried my head in the side of her neck.

After what seemed to be forever I finally pulled back and said, "Star let's go on a date."

Sydney laughed. "It seems that we are on an emotional rollercoaster today. First angry, then hurt, then depressing, then happy, then sexy and awesome-wait no that only applies to me sorry," I laughed at this, "and then well you get the point. But it seems like whenever we try something goes awry!" She said with giggling a little. Her finger traced shapes across my stomach.

"I'm serious Sydney, I want to take you on a date and treat you like the goddess,"

She tilted her head to the side, "Yes, Jay you can take me on a date, you know you don't have to ask permission."

I wiggled my eyebrows very sexily. "I'll remember that Baby,"

She laughed and slapped at my chest, "Go put your pants on Jay,"

"Aww, but Star, I thought you enjoyed the company of my big buddy?" My fingers trickled across her thigh ticklishly.

"Jay!" She giggled scurrying away from my touch.

"Alright alright," I surrender walking to grab my sweats.

"Woah..." The thought drifted into my mind.

I turned around after pulling on my sweatpants with a smirk on my face. "Why thank you Baby Doll I like your sweet little ass too."

Her face lit up and I smiled at her innocence.

"Now, come sit with me," I invited sitting down with my back up against the log.

"Wow Jay and here I thought you were going to pick me up like the goddess I am!" Sydney called joking.

I prepared to push myself up when she raised her hand.

"I was just kidding Hon, chill."

"No you're my mate I should treat you lit-"

Before I finished Sydney was already up and back down in my lap.

I smiled at her.

Together we sat and watched as the stars filtered out of the sky and into a beautiful pink and yellow meadow of clouds.

Sydney drifted to sleep at some point in my chest. I admired her beauty and was pleased to have her close again. I worried over her exhausted state though, and let her rest a while longer before I accidentally rocked her awake with my movement.

She mumbled her awakening.

"Go to sleep Star, I'll get us home," I whispered.

She did a makeshift nod and whispered out, "I love you, Jay."

I smiled and pressed a kiss to her temple.

For now, everything seemed to be calm and perfect...just for now.

☽✣☾

EDITED JULY 1 2020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 7.8K 31
"Tell me something real about you. Like, where are your parents? Do you have any siblings? Give me something that shows me who the real Kaia Jones is...
152K 8.9K 34
• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Splendiferous Awards May 2021 • Summary • ...
176K 11.3K 76
[COMPLETE] Kyra's life as a human is over. Bitten and riddled with strange symptoms, she has been ripped from the only life she's ever known and thro...
355 43 32
WARNING THERE ARE CURSE WORDS AND LOTS OF THEM TO SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ CURSE WORDS THEN STOP READING THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW AND GO FIND SOMETHIN...