I Hope It Rains Marshmallows ❤

By skiesjpg

“I would never like you unless pigs started flying, the satellite crashed onto Earth, aliens invaded town and... More

The Dreaded Author's Note
Chapter One - Intruder Alert!
Chapter Two - You've Got To Be Kidding Me.
Chapter Three - He's Back!
Chapter Four - Meet Jeremy.
Chapter Five - The Latest Messaging Gizmo
Chapter Six - Let The Cold War Begin
Chapter Seven - The New Girl, the Date, and the Hot New Couple?!
Chapter Eight - The Rejection of the Apology Pizza
Chapter Nine - Miss. Matchmaker
Chapter Ten - The Sleepover
Chapter Eleven - Sandwiched
Chapter Twelve - Plan B
Chapter Thirteen - Amusement Park
Chapter Fourteen - The Couple Contest
Chapter Fifteen - Winning and Losing
Chapter Sixteen - I'm Scared of Thunderstorms
Chapter Eighteen - Anywhere but here
Chapter Nineteen - Dancing in Hospital Robes
Chapter Twenty - The Prize Presentation
Chapter Twenty-One - The Truth?
Chapter Twenty Two - Cole's Past
Chapter Twenty-Three - The Truth Reveals Itself
Chapter Twenty-Four - Hard Choices
Chapter Twenty-Five - Goodbye Kisses
Chapter Twenty-Six - Death Greets
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Bitch-Slapping
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Meet Matthew Roberts
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Skimpy Red Bikini
Chapter Thirty - I have a Mustache!
Chapter Thirty-One - Paparazzi
Chapter Thirty-Two - Who's Back?
Chapter Thirty-Three - Oh look, More Surprises.
Chapter Thirty-Four - Friends?
Chapter Thirty-Five - My Date with Matthew
Chapter Thirty-Six - My Date with Cole
Chapter Thirty-Seven - My Date with Jeremy
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Still on my Date with Jeremy
Chapter Thirty Eight - The End
Chapter Thirty Eight (Again!) - Poor Jeremy
Chapter Thirty-Nine - New Old Home!
Chapter Forty - The Concert!
Chapter Forty-One - The Party
Chapter Forty-Two - Hangover
Chapter Forty-Three - The Truth
Chapter Forty-Four - Alyssa's Decision!
Bonus Chapter!
Final Thanks!

Chapter Seventeen - A new addition!

2.8K 45 16
By skiesjpg

~Alyssa~

“Hey, what’s this?” Isabella pointed at a poster pasted on the wall next to my locker. I slammed my locker shut after stuffing in all the books and scrutinized the poster carefully.

Cupid’s Shooting Love Arrows!

Valentine’s Day is coming, and what can be better than to celebrate it with a dance?

Venue: The School Auditorium

Date: 14 February, Valentine’s Day!

Time: 7.00pm-10.30pm

PS. To spice things up, remember to wear masks! Yes, it’s a masquerade! Hope you’ll enjoy the night with that special one of yours! Who knows, you might find “Mr. /Ms. Right” on the night itself! Watch out for Cupid’s arrows baby!

 “A masquerade huh.” I wondered out loud.

“Bummer, guess we’re celebrating Valentine’s Day without a partner.” Isabella sulked, scrunching her face up.

I smiled at her wryly. “Yeah…” Memories of Jeremy flashed through my mind as I chased them away, mentally slapping myself.

“What’s up ladies?” Cole suddenly joined in, leaning gently against my locker.

“Nothing, just staring blankly at the wall.” I joked half-heartedly.

“Kays…” He shot me a skeptical look before glancing at the poster.

 “Cupid’s Shooting Love Arrows? Yuck, what a cliché name.” He commented after a second.

I shrugged with one shoulder, giving him a flat look.

He must have noticed my moody look, because he tried to lighten the mood. “Anyway, I’m receiving a prize next week, so be sure to come for the ceremony!” His eyes twinkled in delight.

“Really?” I looked up at him dubiously, narrowing my eyes. “What prize?” I couldn’t believe Cole would receive a prize for anything.

“Our school won the National basketball championship, how could you not know, Alyssa, it’s the biggest talk in school now!” Isabella brushed a strand of hair away from her face, giving me an are-you-serious look.

“I can’t believe my own sister didn’t even know about this…” Cole’s voice trailed off, faking a sniff. “I think I’m going to cry, d-don’t look at me!” He buried his head in Isabella’s shoulder, stifling fake wails. Isabella patted his head comfortingly, joining in the fun.

I rolled my eyes at his childishness. “Grow up, puh-lease.”

Cole lifted his head mischievously, and both Isabella and Cole broke into uncontrollable fits of laughter.

“C’mon, don’t be such a killjoy! Cheer up a little!” Cole carelessly wrapped an arm over my shoulder.

I gave a dry smile. “Don’t worry; I’ll surely be there to support you.”

He smiled to himself, and then after we bid our adieus to Isabella, we headed for the car.

~*~*~

~Cole~

“Okay, okay, last joke, I promise.” I begged Alyssa.

“…Fine.” Alyssa waved her hand casually.

“Okay, so…whatever question I ask you, you can only answer with Banana, got it?” I glanced sideways at her, focusing on the road at the same time.

“Yeah, yeah.” Alyssa stifled a yawn.

Sheesh, she could at least act interested for me!

“So, what did you eat for breakfast?”

“Banana.”

“What are you driving in?”

“Banana.”

“What did you poop out?”

“Banana.”

“What are you pregnant with?”

“Ba...Pffft….wh-a-a-a-a-t?” Alyssa cracked up.

I wiped away a tear from the corner of my eye, contented with myself for being able to make her laugh. “I knew it, I knew it, this joke works every time.” I grinned evilly.

Alyssa swatted me off, sighing merrily after she finally stopped laughing, slumping in the chair.

After parking the car at the side of the road, we trudged back, only to find the door unlocked.

Alyssa and I shot each other curious looks, as we carefully sneaked in, our eyes darting everywhere, searching for a suspicious creature.

“Anyone?” Alyssa mouthed out to me after checking the rooms. I furrowed my eyebrows as I shook my head.

“SURPRISE!” Someone shouted from behind us, making us jump in fright. Alyssa clutched onto her chest, panting heavily.

“Mom, Dad, you didn’t have to scare the shit out of us.” I muttered, still a little stunned.

Before we knew it, they pulled us in for a tight group hug, squeezing the air out of us.

“Can’t. Breathe. Help. “Alyssa wheezed, and they finally let go of us.

“Why are you guys back?” Alyssa hissed, dark clouds looming over her head.

“Aww Ally, don’t be such a downer. Aren’t you happy to see us?” Mom’s face fell.

At that, Alyssa’s gaze softened, but her mouth was still contorted into a scowl. “The only time you bothered to come back was to drop this person off.” She pointed a finger at me.

“Hey!” I protested. “Don’t worry Mum; she’s just jealous you have to share the love.” I gave her a tight squeeze, and she gladly returned it.

Just then, I heard faint footsteps as a little baby tottered out from our parent’s room.

I released Mum from the embrace and cringed my face in disgust. I blinked my eyes for a few times before finally inquiring. “What is that…thing?”

“Thing?” Mum gaped in horror. “That’s definitely not a ‘thing’; it’s a baby for god’s sake, Cole. How did you manage to pass your biology without knowing how a baby looks like?”

I coughed uncomfortably as the baby—or whatever it is called—reached out for my finger and grasped it with his slimy hand, bubbles coming out from his mouth as he smiled gleefully.

“Aw, look Cole, he likes you.” Dad rested his hand on my shoulder.

“Okay, what’s going on here?” Alyssa finally spoke up.

Mum lifted the baby up as she looked at Alyssa with pleading eyes. “Uh, look darling, about that—“

“Okay, never mind, don’t bother explaining, I really, really, don’t want to know.” Alyssa pinched the bridge of her nose.

“Alyssa honey…” Despair was creeping into Mum’s voice.

“You adopted it?” I asked uncertainly.

“Not ‘it’,” Mum wagged her finger at me. “He. And yes, it was too cute and pitiful you know, we just couldn’t leave it alone.”

Thoughts about the orphanage I used to stay in filled my mind and the children I used to stay with flashed through, their sorrowful faces etched into my mind. I felt my heart drop as I was reminded of that horrible place.

“Okay, fine…what’s ‘his’ name?” I made it a point to enunciate the ‘his’ properly, shaking those thoughts off, burying them at the back of my mind.

“Jayden.” Mom smiled warily, relief washed through her face.

Jayden bounced excitedly as he heard his name being called out.

“Well,” Alyssa finally calmed down. “At least he’s cute.” She tousled Jayden’s fine brown hair, stealing glances at me. It took me a second to realize she was criticizing me.

“Hey! What do you mean?” I blinked continuously, flipping my hair.

“Are you saying that this…?” I circled my face in the air with a finger. “—is not cute?”

“You heard me.” Alyssa smirked.

Offended, I crossed my arms. “Excuse me? Just to let you know, I’m a perfect masterpiece Cuteness has ever created.” I retorted.

She snorted and swatted me off like a fly. “As if.”

I pressed my lips into a line, so tempted to bash her up. “Shut up, Alyssa.”

“Cut it off!” Mum chided, although relief was written all over face that Alyssa wasn’t angry at her. “Don’t be a bad example for little Jayden!”

“Yeah Cole, naughty naughty.” Alyssa sneered sarcastically, covering Jayden’s ears with her hands. “No bad words.”

I gawked at her incredulously, unable to believe the fact that I lost the fight.

~*~*~

~Alyssa~

After finally hearing the soft breathing coming from Jayden, I heaved a sigh of relief. I settled him down in his mattress below my bed, massaging my sore arms and neck. Who knew taking care of a baby would be so tough?

“Thanks Alyssa.” A familiar voice broke the silence.

“Shhhhh.” I put a finger over my mouth, looking up at my mom. She nodded and sat down next to me on the bed and I felt the bed sink. We gazed at the peaceful looking baby down at our toes, sleeping so soundly.

“I thought you would oppose of our decision like you did when you know…we adopted Cole.” My mum whispered worriedly.

“You make me sound like a bad guy.” I whispered back.

“Alyssa honey, you know that’s not what I meant.” She squeezed my hand awkwardly.

“It’s alright. Cole’s…a nice companion when you and Dad are not around. Jayden’s a bundle of joy too.” I lifted the sides of my mouth, searching my mum’s face.

“—and trouble too.” Mum joked, blinking her eyes.

I giggled and squeezed her hand back.

“Well, go do…whatever you do at night.” My mum walked out of my room, closing the door behind her.

“Homework, Mum. I don’t have a life.” I muttered, but she was already gone.

My body ached in protest and I was unwilling to leave the comfort of my bed for homework, but I knew I had to, or the pile of homework would just stack up higher and higher.

Cole was also struggling to stay awake from homework in his room. As his head slid off his hand and his head hit the table hard, I couldn’t help but feel giggles tumbling out of my mouth.

Blurry eyed, he looked up at me, rubbing his head profusely. “What? Never seen a cute person sleep?”

“Let the matter slide, Cole. Can’t believe you’re still holding a grudge.” I stuck my tongue at him.

He rolled his eyes, annoyed at my comment. Yay, Alyssa two points, Cole zero!

“So….are you going for the…um…dance?” Cole asked out of the blue.

I tapped the pen at my lip, pondering over the question, before returning the answer with a paper airplane.

Nah, too much homework.

After a few seconds, the paper airplane landed nicely right before me.

Lame excuse. Be free on that day; because you’re gonna be my partner.

“What?” I darted him incredulous stares.

“What?” He mimicked.

“I mean…I’m not going!” I crunched up the paper airplane.

“Lalalala I can’t hear you!” Cole stuffed his fingers into his ears.

“Cole.”

“Alyssa.”

I gave him my death glare and put my hands on my hips.

“Alyssa…you need to you know…have some fun! Get your mind off…that guy.” He bit his lip before continuing.” Anyway, you don’t have a partner, neither do I! We’ll go as…siblings.”

I met his gaze and his eyes looked so full of concern. “Okay.” Those words slipped out, before I realized I had agreed.

“Wait—“

“No backing out!” He jumped off his seat and closed the curtain before I could change my mind.

I buried my head under my hands. Ugh. Now I’ve got to find a dress for the dance. And a mask. Save me from the trouble please!

~*~*~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Lethal Lust By Kit

General Fiction

240K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
4.5K 113 14
It's just another regular girl's fifteenth birthday. Or is it? Amanda Skyler, who just turned fifteen, is getting an unexpected birthday surprise tri...
67.3K 1K 17
Sam & Piper have been best friends since birth. They've been each other's first kiss, first crush, and first date to a dance. But now, their in high...
408K 4.6K 32
Bell and her parents go on a holiday to a small town in California for the summer. The town only has a couple hundred people and she runs into Matt h...