Begin Again ▷ Jared Cameron

By illustration

❝How does it feel to start all over?❞ ❝Twisted. I stare into the mirror, knowing I'm looking at myself, but t... More

BEGIN AGAIN
ZERO
ONE
TWO
THREE
FOUR
FIVE

SIX

4.9K 223 41
By illustration

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

SIX; TO FORKS WE GO

PENELOPE WALLOWED IN HER BED until Jake came home. Instead of scolding her for leaving school early, the youngest sibling sat by her side, stroking her hair softly. "I remember when you liked this guy in our grade when you were nine. Everyone adored him, and it was completely moronic because he was nothing but a cocky son of a bitch."

Penelope sniffled, digging her head deeper into the crook of her elbow. "You have a point, Jake?"

"Everyone loves Joy, Penelope. She knows exactly how to twist and manipulate your mind. You can't blame Jared for kissing her. It was before he met you, and now, you're the only one he wants. I swear on my life that Jared would've never kissed her if he had known you existed."

"So why did he kiss me?" She asked innocently, peering up at him. "Because he liked me or because he needed a different girl and I was fresh bait?"

"I think you know the answer to that, Penny."

Penelope fiddled with the sheets of her bed, trying to avoid Jake's gaze. He was obviously attempting to mend the relationship between his pack member and sister. After Jared didn't return to school, the whole pack went on a search party to look for him. They found him at Emily's, drowning his sorrows in multiple chocolate chip muffins.

"I just need some time away from him," Penelope whispered. "Am I not allowed to have that anymore?"

Jake placed a kiss on her head. "Of course you are, Penny. I'll go tell him, okay?"

Her brother left her to her own thoughts, and she sighed in exasperation. Penelope didn't even know how her schedule ran without Jared. Ever since she left the hospital, the boy had been glued to her side.

When Billy came home, he was disheartened to see his daughter in such an unhappy state. "Penelope, what happened?" He asked, wheeling into her room.

"Boys have cooties," she whispered harshly. "I should've remembered that."

Billy sighed. "Listen, Pen, whatever happened with Jared-"

"Whatever happened with Jared hurt me," she responded sternly. "And I won't enter those halls ever again."

Billy shook his head, knowing he would now have to find some way to put Penelope's life back on track.

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

"You can't."

"It's the only way to get her back in school, Jake. She's really torn up after what happened with Jared. I'm just trying to make your sister happy again."

Jake growled. "She won't be happy once she's dead! Those bloodsuckers will somehow grab ahold of her and completely tear her in two. Is that what you want?"

Billy huffed, turning his wheelchair around to slam into Jake's legs. "I want my daughter back. I know you remember how happy Penelope was when she was younger, how happy your mother made her. I would do anything to see a glimpse of that Penelope back in my life again and if that means sending her to Forks, then so be it."

"Sam's not going to like this," Jake reminded his father.

"I don't care what Sam or the council prefers. Penelope is my daughter, and I'm doing what's best for her. No one liked it when I transferred Penelope to the Forks hospital either, but it needed to be done. I know we can never trust those bloodsuckers fully, but I also know that they wouldn't lay a finger on Penelope unless they wanted a war," Billy hissed. "Now, let me do my job and take care of my children."

Jake could see the determination in his eyes. He wished he could just go up to Penelope and tell her to leave it alone, but he knew just how much Jared actually meant to her. For her to hear all of those vile rumors must've been torture. In Penelope's mind, Jared was her hero.

They heard the small patter of feet. Penelope rounded the corner and saw her father and brother speaking lowly to one another. She raised an eyebrow. "What's going on?"

"We're just talking about what needs to be done about your school, Penny," Jake explained. "How would you feel about transferring to Forks High?"

She paused. "Isn't that against tribe law or something?"

"No, but they won't be thrilled about it," Billy exhaled. "But don't fret, Penelope. I'll handle it. You just take care of yourself, okay?"

A sincere grin painted her features. "Thank you."

"You're sure this is what you want, Penny?" Jake inquired. "Even if you and Jared make amends, you'll still want to go to Forks High?"

"I don't want to attend a school that treats me as if I'm a social project," she retorted to her brother. "Yes, I know I won't be angry with Jared forever, but I can't keep being haunted by his past."

Jake nodded in understanding. "Alright. I just want you to know, Pen, that Jared is really sorry about what happened. Like you said, it was his past. He's looking to move on and focus on the future."

"Jake, leave your sister alone," Billy scolded. "Penelope, start getting prepared for Forks High. I'll go over and get your paperwork settled."

Billy left the two to their own. She shifted her feet. "So, is there anyone you already know at Forks?"

Jake chuckled dryly. "I can think of a few people."

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

"Do I have to?"

"Just one more day, Penny. Remember, only me and dad know about you wanting to transfer. We can't raise any eyebrows or else the council and the pack will become suspicious," Jake chorused. "I promise, just today. Then tomorrow, you'll live happily at Forks High."

"Penelope!"

The Black girl closed her eyes at the sound of Jared's voice. It was clear the boy had not heard from her since the previous incident, and he had been trying to track her down to apologize.

Penelope began to pick up her pace and left her brother behind to zoom down the hallway. She could still hear Jared's voice distantly calling after her, and she tried to avoid the gazes of the people around her. That one girl, Joy, was particularly amused by the interaction.

She found herself in the girls' bathroom, trying to catch her breath. Billy told her she only needed to attend La Push High for one more day and then she'd be free, but she was dreading the fact that she would have to confront Jared at some point in the day.

"Hi. You're Penelope, right?"

Her eyes opened to see a shy girl in front of her, clutching her books to her chest. Penelope blinked. "Uh, yes, I am. Can I help you?"

"I'm Kim. Kim Connweller."

"Oh. It's nice to meet you," Penelope responded awkwardly, not knowing what to say. She didn't understand if the girl's name was supposed to be of importance to her.

Kim smiled shyly. "Are you," she hesitated, eyes trailing downwards. "Are you dating Jared Cameron?"

"No," she immediately denied. "Jared and I are just friends. We're not dating."

Kim released a sigh of relief. "That's great to hear. I mean, not like it matters or anything. I just, I think I'm going to leave now," she stuttered, exiting the bathroom with blooming red cheeks.

Penelope understood the implication Kim was reaching for. It caused something in her stomach to churn — just knowing that someone else was trying to steal Jared's heart didn't settle very well with her.

She shook her head. She had no right to be possessive of Jared when she claimed to have no feelings for him. And she had no feelings for him, right?

There was a small knock on the door. Jared's voice filtered through. "Penelope, I know you're in there. Please, let's just talk about what happened, okay? Those girls mean nothing to me. I would never choose any of them over you."

She took a deep breath, deciding to just get it over with and talk to him. She opened the door, revealing him behind it. His eyes were as wide as saucers, not expecting her to be so compliant with his wishes. Penelope thought he looked like a kicked puppy.

"I don't really want to talk about it, Jared," she said in a small voice. "Can we just not talk at all?"

He felt his heart drop to his stomach. "No, no, Penelope, please. Just hear me out, okay?"

"It doesn't matter anyways," she shook her head. "I won't be going here after today."

Jared furrowed his eyebrows. "What are you talking about?"

She decided to just rip the bandaid off. "I chose to start going to Forks High."

He felt like time had stopped. A flurry of emotions were taking over him. First, he was upset, then he was angry, but now, he was just frustrated.

"Penelope don't do this. Does Jake know about this? You know what's in Forks, and it'll be way harder for me to protect you there."

"I don't need protection!" She protested, throwing her hands up in the air. "I can take care of myself perfectly, Jared, thank you. And I don't want to be here, where every corner I turn it's someone who you've kissed behind the school or a girl who's practically fawning over your biceps! I need a break from all of this — from being that girl who woke up from her coma."

"And you think you're going to have that in Forks? The pack can protect you here from all of those rumors if you just stick by us. I can get you moved from that class with Joy if you want. Just listen to reason, Pen."

"I am trying to take care of myself," she spat through clenched teeth. "I hate being here. This school is bringing up too many reminders and yes, I know it won't be easy attending Forks with all of those pale faces. But I'll be better off there then living as Jacob Black's sister or Jared Cameron's new girl."

"You know how much I care about you, right?" He breathed. Penelope couldn't look him in the eye. "All those girls can't hold anything to you. Penelope, you make my world go around. It'll break me if you leave."

"And it'll break me if I stay."

She left him standing there, wondering what could've been if he had treated her like the woman she was.

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

"I need you to take care of her. And I'm not joking, okay? Penelope means the whole world to my dad since she woke up. It'll crush him to know that she was let down again."

The pale-skinned vampire nodded in agreement. "I understand, Jacob. Don't worry, we'll protect her."

"That somehow doesn't make me feel any better," the shapeshifter mumbled under his breath. He glanced at the girl standing next to his mortal enemy, clutching his forearm. "Hey, Bella."

"Hi, Jake."

"Penelope's different now," Jake spoke, trying to erase his mind off of the brown-haired human who threw his life into a downward spiral. "Think of it as a sort of rebellion. She keeps dreaming of our mom and this whole new topic with Jared is scaring her. Deep down, she knows that she has harbored feelings for him, but she still continues to deny it because she's scared of the unknown. She's trying to find her way and figure out what she wanted before the accident happened."

Bella nodded. "We know. We'll make sure she's comfortable at Forks High."

Jake forced a smile. "Thank you. It means a lot to me and Billy."

"So she knows? About you and Edward and everything else?" Bella questioned.

"Jared told her about us, but we haven't gotten around to the topic of you yet," he said, talking to Edward. "I think she'll get scared if she knows. She doesn't even know that Jared imprinted on her because his scared ass is too afraid to say anything."

"She'll be in good hands," Edward said.

"But don't ostracize her. I don't want you to be her only friends, okay? I just want-"

"Jake," Bella spoke, raising an eyebrow. "It's going to be okay. Penelope will be just fine with us."

The shapeshifter gulped. "I hope you're right."

i haven't updated this book since march i'm so sorry

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

460K 11K 22
"Did you really expect me to forgive and forget everything with a snap of a finger? You didn't even apologise. You can't even do the bare minimum" °...
2.9M 76.6K 111
She's got the eyes of innocence, The face of an angel, A personality of a dreamer And a smile that hides more pain, Than you can ever imagine. #1 bel...
1.7K 87 10
I must've done something wrong to be left so lonely. Twilight / Paul Lahote screamstu, 2023
21.3K 471 22
[UNDER MINOR EDITING] PREVIOUSLY TITLED "ℭ𝔬𝔯𝔯𝔲𝔭𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫" ... 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘦, 𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘺 𝘪...