Not Your Average Hero

Oleh ramblam

Ashlyn Calloway is your average teenager. Other than the fact she has powers. I'm talking real, honest to goo... Lebih Banyak

•1• squirrel chaser
•2• superhero hater
•3• redux the cat
•4• stern
•5• late night intruder
•6• face behind the mask
•7• death of a loved one
•8• mute
•9• lightbulb
•10• haunted house
•11• psychotic exes
•12• red spandex
•13• spectral
•14• anger issues
•15• flying positions
•16• death by icecrean
•17• damn splinters
•18• the man in red
•20• the cripple
•21• glow stick
•22• sticks
•23• secret base
•24• identification
•25• confrontation
•26• astroboy
•27• green apples

•19• anderson calloway

5.3K 302 75
Oleh ramblam

Anderson

Anderson Calloway looked down at his hands, he wasn't expecting Ashlyn to recognize him so quickly, she was only three when he divorced her mother. The witty boy with the potty mouth, who Anderson found out was named Sterling, stared at him in disbelief. The other one was unreadable.

Anderson sighed, "I'm so, so sorry." He reached to place a hand on Ashlyns', but she jolted away from it. He knew what was going to happen before she even opened her mouth. Ashlyns' face contorted so that her eyebrows were pinched together and her nose was wrinkled up, the same face her mother made when she kicked Anderson out of the house and told him to never come back.

"Sorry?" She laughed dryly, not even trying to mask her fury, "it was your decision to leave us. Mom was heartbroken. Do you know how long it took her to recover from that? She had to take care of the three of us without you." she spat, "for all I know, I don't have a father."

Her harsh words made Andersons' ears burn and his heart ache, but he took a deep breath, he understood why she felt this way. "She wasn't heartbroken over me, she's the one who kicked me out of the house, she's the reason I wasn't aloud to see my children, she's the reason why you grew up without a father." Anderson managed to keep his voice calm.

"What are you talking about?" Ashlyn asked, shaking her head.

Anderson looked at Sterling and Gold, who were watching the conversation as if it was a ping pong match. "Can I talk to Ashlyn alone, please?" He asked. Sterling left without hesitation, but Golden Sparkler remained planted beside her, hand placed firmly on her shoulder. I'd have to have a conversation with him later.

"Please? Just for five minutes." Anderson wasn't a pleader, but he felt explaining himself to Ashlyn was far more important than his image. Golden Sparkler looked at Ashlyn, checking to see if she was okay with it; to Andersons' relief, she nodded.

"Do you remember when Axel fell deathly ill?" Anderson asked once the boys were out the door; Ashlyn shook her head. "No, I suppose you were too young." He sighed, "when Axel was three, we took him to the hospital because he was in excruciating pain, ear-splitting screams of agony, a sound we never imagined could come from a three-year-old. When we got the blood work back, the doctor paused before telling us what was hurting him; I was worried they'd found out he had enhanced DNA, but that wasn't the case.

"Turns out your brother had an illness in which, was extremely rare to obtain, unless it was passed down by genetics, only, Aspen and I had no trace of it. In all honesty, I should've known. Aspens' blood type is A, as is mine, and Axels' is AB, which is only possible if there was a B in the mix. I guess I just didn't want to believe it. That was when all of my suspicions came true. That was the day your mother told me that Axel wasn't my son." Anderson felt the fury swarm inside him, he slammed his fist on the table; Ashlyn jumped at the sudden movement. "I was just, so, angry. After your mother told me who the real father was, only because she wanted to save Axel, I payed him a visit. Cadbry Smith could save Axel with his blood, but, because he didn't want his wife to know he had a son, he said no."

"Cyrus. It's not a name. It's an abbreviation, isn't it?" She commented; Anderson managed to supress his smile, Ashlyn is a clever young woman.

Anderson nodded. "Cadbry Yuri Ruk Uther-Smith." He hissed. "At the time, it was six years since I faked the death of Carmine Wind, but at that moment, all that anger towards your mother, towards Cadbry, towards myself for not realizing sooner, I just snapped."

"You killed his wife so he would help Axel, didn't you?" Ashlyn whispered.

"Threatened." Anderson corrected.

"But Cyrus said you killed her..." Ashlyn trailed off.

Anderson frowned, "Cadbry agreed to help Axel. When we got back to the hospital, and Aspen saw him, I knew there was a small part of her that still loved him. I threw away my old life for Aspen, I loved her so much. It felt like my heart was ripped out of my chest and shattered into a million pieces; It was his fault and I wanted him to experience the same pain. The pain of losing someone he loves."

"You ripped out her heart?" Sterling asked, peeking in through the doorway, disgust was written all over his face. Anderson knew the boys were eavesdropping, he saw a sliver of the golden mask appear in the doorway a few seconds after Anderson hit the table; Sterling, apparently, followed along.

"Sterling, you were spying on us?" Ashlyn accused, although her shoulders relaxed knowing they were there to protect her if Anderson were to do something dangerous.

"No, I was worrying. Besides, it was Sparkies' idea." Sterling whispered.

"No," Anderson interjected their heated discussion, "I took her breath away." he said, answering Sterlings earlier question.

"Oh, so you stole her from him?" Sterling inquired, he looked almost disappointed.

"No," Golden Sparkler narrowed his eyes, "the infamous Carmine Wind doesn't have to get his hands dirty when he can actually take someones breath away. He suffocated her."

"So you can stop time and control air?" Sterling whistled, "that's badass."

Anderson frowned. "I haven't hurt anyone since, I swear." He slowly reached over and pressed a hand to Ashlyns' cheek, he was relieved when she didn't flinch away. "I didn't want to leave you guys." Tears brimmed in his eyes, "please let me be here for you, just this once, let me help you."

"I don't know about this," Golden Sparkler shook his head.

"Carmine Wind. Leave this vicinity while we discuss your fate." Sterling demanded. Anderson swept his gaze to Sterling and kept it there, deliberately trying to size up the young hero. Sterling shifted uncomfortably.

"It's Anderson." He said, hating the name he was once proud of, before following Sterlings' order. He walked down the hallway with loud steps, once he was far enough from the room, he stopped time and rushed back into the room, hiding behind a dark drape before everything sped back up. Anderson doesn't have the power he used too. When he was younger, stronger, he could stop time as long as he wanted; but now, from swearing off powers, he could only do it for one or two minutes, and it drained most of his energy.

"What a character." Sterling mused, "I like it." Anderson scowled.

"Shut up." Ashlyn rolled her eyes.

"We should let him help, I mean, he does seem to hate Cyrus with a passion, and he has the stomach to... Take extra precautions." Sterling mumbled. Anderson vowed he wouldn't hurt another human being ever again, but the boy had a point. Anderson was experienced enough to kill. Besides, Cyrus was closer to a monster than anything else.

"Extra precautions?" Ashlyn inquired. Anderson could tell she had an idea of what he was insisting, she just wanted to know for sure.

"He means Anderson is willing to kill if things get too out of hand." Golden Sparkler mumbled, rubbing his hands over his face, "if we murder Cyrus," he flinched at the words coming out of his mouth, "it doesn't make us any better than him."

"That's why we won't do the killing. Ash's dad will." Sterling said; Anderson found himself nodding along, even though they couldn't see him.

"Oh my god, please, never say that again." Ashlyn wrinkled her nose; Anderson frowned, he would do anything to protect her.

"You're actually serious?" Golden Sparkler asked, "you're okay with ending the life of a human being?"

"Cyrus isn't human anymore." Ashlyn commented, "he's a monster." Anderson smiled at her description.

"See? Ash agrees with me." Sterling pointed in Ashlyns' direction.

"I can't believe we're actually having this conversation right now." Golden Sparkler pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Hey, I only said he's a monster, I don't think murder is the way to go." Ashlyn corrected.

Sterling groaned, "fine; murder will be a last resort. But I do think we should let Carmine Wind help us, he could be useful. Plus, he has experience."

"Shouldn't that be Ashlyns' choice?" Golden Sparkler asked, "he is the man that left her, after all." The smile vanished from Andersons' face, his infamous scowl replaced it.

Ashlyn sighed, "Cyrus is an illness, and, if I is replaced with we, even illness becomes wellness."

"Malcolm X." Golden Sparkler mumbled.

"I think that together, with Anderson, we can take Cyrus down." Ashlyn said; Anderson frowned at the use of his name instead of 'dad', but buried that feeling deep down.

"So it's decided then?" Sterling clapped his hands together.

"You're sure?" Golden Sparkler asked; Anderson waited in anticipation as Ashlyn bit her lip, thinking it over. He wanted to prove to her that he isn't the same person he was when he left.

Ashlyn sighed, "yeah, I am." Anderson jumped in excitement, all three heads turned his way. Golden Sparkler began walking towards the curtain with narrowed eyes. Anderson watched Golden Sparkler as he came to a full stop; when everyone in the room was frozen, he bolted straight towards the kitchen.

He managed to repress his smile when the group came back, for he already knew what they were going to say.

"Alright, Andy." Sterling placed a hand on Andersons' shoulder, Andersons' glare didn't seem to effect Sterling as much as it did before. "Welcome to the team."

***

•Ashlyn•

"I guess all of us have messed up families, don't we?" Gold mumbled, itching the skin under his mask.

We were currently sprawled out on my bed watching a movie about a singer who's lost her voice, that's been long since forgotten; replaced by small talk. Him in his borrowed sweats, and me in my polka-dot pyjamas. Out of the three of us, he's usually the smart and mature one, he waits before making decisions because he thinks about the consequences. After spending many weeks with him looking after me, even though I don't need him too, I've grown accustomed to his horrendous sense of humour, and quick-witted charm that was slowly being revealed.

"I know." I groaned, leaning against his shoulder; I pursed my lips, "what's wrong with your family?" I asked, curiosity taking over.

"My parents were scientists." Gold started, "they were devoted to using their knowledge for creating new species. They experimented with bugs and animals; however, one day, they decided that it wasn't enough. 'What does mutated insect DNA do to the human body?'" Gold asked dryly, "I'm the answer."

"Holy shit." I mumbled, sitting up, "I guess wacky families are the secret to superpowers."

Gold chuckled, "yeah, I guess so."

I frowned, the memory of Gold thrashing on the ground sprung to mind. "Is that why you have nightmares?" Gold tilted his head to look at me, his sparkling hazel eyes looked grey, and his features receded into a frown.

"You noticed?" He inquired.

"It was kind of hard not too." I answered truthfully.

"It sucks," he sighed, "the only time I remember what happened, is when I'm asleep. Flashes of pain, drowning in something that wasn't water," he shuddered, "other things."

"Do you know what animals they used? I don't think I know of any that glow and shoot lasers."

"Insect." He corrected with a grimace, "and, I'm not sure; a mix of them, probably. With loads of radiation."

"You ran away?" I asked; surely someone's science experiment wouldn't be aloud to roam free in the world.

He shook his head, "I'm not sure, actually." He sighed, "the police just showed up one day and before I knew it, I was placed into quarantine for a few months."

"Wow."

"Yeah."

"So you're homeless?" I asked.

He smiled, "no, I was adopted by a family friend of one of the nice scientists once they were sure I wasn't toxic."

"And your family's okay with you spending the night here all the time?" I asked.

Gold shrugged, "I sneak out."

"So you're rebellious?" I laughed, "I bet Sterling would freak if he found that out."

"I'm just good at keeping secrets." Gold winked.

"Speaking of, when are you going to tell me who you are?" I asked; Gold shrugged. "You told me your in high school... do you go Landchester?" I questioned.

"Someone would think you're a reporter with all of these questions you're asking." Gold chuckled.

"The only time I can ask you questions, is when nobody's around." I sighed, "well, do you?"

"Ashlyn," Gold sighed, "Landchester High is the only high school in Westlake, besides the private school up north."

"So you do go there, then." I shot up, "do I know you? Is that why you're not telling me your identity?" Gold shrugged, "I do don't I?" I gasped; Gold shrugged again.

I made a mental list of every boy I've met since moving to Westlake, intent on investigating on Monday. I looked down at the movie on the laptop, the singer who lost her voice at the beginning of the movie, was now opening a cosmetic shop. "What are we watching?" I asked once the scene ended; Gold didn't answer. I looked beside me to see that he was fast asleep. The only indication that he was alive, was the slow rise and fall of his chest.

I quietly walked out into the hallway to grab a blanket from the closet; Gold was sleeping on top of the comforter, and I didn't want to wake him. He's a light sleeper who never gets to sleep.

I tip-toed downstairs, Gold needs proper sleep, so I'm not kicking him off of my bed. Axel was sitting on the couch when I got to the living room, arms crossed under his head, watching T.V.

"Hey, stranger." He smiled when he saw me; I frowned. With everything that's been happening, the only time I really get to see him, is at school. "Is your friend asleep?"

My eyes went wide, "what do you mean?" I tried to sound as confused as possible.

"Oh, please," Axel snorted, "I hear you guys talking through the walls; it's why I'm downstairs. Flirting is annoying when I'm not the one doing it."

"There's no flirting." I said sheepishly.

"Then why are you blushing?" He smirked; I slapped his arm, "what's his name?"

"Not sure, actually." I frowned, thinking of all the possibilities.

Axel jumped up, startling me half to death, and bolted for the stairs, "what the fuck, Ashes? You're way too young for prostitutes!"

"Axel!" I called, chasing after him. I got there in time to see Axel rip the door open; a startled Golden Sparkler jumped, and fell off the bed. I grabbed Axels' arm before he could surge forward, his hands were bunched up in a fist, Gold raised his hands in defence. "I'm not sure what his real name is." I corrected myself, "Axel, this is Gold." Axel looked at me with confusion clouding his features, "er- I mean, Golden Sparkler."

"Hey," Gold waved awkwardly, his skin was glowing.

"What the fuck?" Axel mumbled.

"Long story." I answered; Axel looked back and forth between the two of us.

"I've got time." He crossed his arms; I looked at Gold, then back to Axel.

"Downstairs, he needs sleep." I whispered; motioning towards the yawning superhero; Axel nodded reluctantly, and followed me back downstairs.

"Okay," I clasped my hands together, thinking of what I was going to say. "Basically, this evil dude, Cyrus, is after us because of something Anderson did to him when we were young, so Redux and Gold- well, it used to be Redux but he's actually annoying so it's only Gold now- spend the night here watching over us. We know Cyrus means business, because he murdered..." I trailed off, but I could tell Axel understood the best he could.

"Anderson... Our dad?" He asked; I nodded. I didn't want to tell Axel that his real father is the reason for this whole mess. Tears brimmed Axels' eyes, "son of a bitch."

I wrapped my arms around Axel who looked as though he were getting ready to punch something. "I know."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

359K 17.1K 54
It's not every day that you get kidnapped on the first date. But then again, not every girl is Charlie Delacqua. The daughter of a millionaire...
1.3K 144 63
"Cold. Heat. Healing. Pain. The world is full of different things that humans interact with and live around. The human mind perceives all of these th...
217 24 26
Leah North was living a normal life, going to high school, having no idea what she wants to do with her life, and just living in the moment. Until on...
9.7K 451 25
Growing up stinks. Puberty, social connections, and trying to mature are already tricky enough. Add superpowers, an illegal superhero group of misfit...