Games of Fate

By bibliotheque26

"The best love story is when you fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time." ... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven-Epilogue

Chapter Four

621 31 33
By bibliotheque26

A/N: It's finally Wednesday. I am very happy today so I decided to post in the morning. 

Well, listen to the song on the side. It may or may not link to the song but I thought of uploading it as I like it.

This chapter is dedicated to KitKatWannaChat for making the beautiful banner on the side. Again, please comment, vote and fan, it would mean a lot to me. 

Enjoy the chapter lovelies :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brooke’s POV

It was five minutes to seven and I was sitting on the couch, waiting for Brandon to pick me up. Mom did an exceptional job of hiding my scars and bruises with make-up. She insisted that I should wear a dress, so here I was, wearing a knee length red dress. I decided to ditch wearing my heels as I already had trouble walking and they would only exacerbate my equilibrium. So I put on my black bellies, which had been a gift from Isla for my 25th birthday. A few minutes later the bell rang and I glanced at the clock. It was sharp seven.

Punctual eh?

I got up and opened the door, only to find a tall, freshly showered man in cream colored chinos and a blue V-neck sweater with a jacket on top.

“Hi” I said and he smiled

“Hi. Here, I bought you some get well soon flowers.” The smile did not leave his face as he handed me the bouquet of orchids.

I loved the gesture, I was even going to smile but decided against it as a thought entered my mind.

Maybe he’s doing it out of courtesy, or he’s doing it for a free dinner!

“Thanks a lot” I said

“Hello Brandon, you look very nice.” Mom said as Brandon greeted her and kissed her cheek.

Well, someone is growing a motherly bond with a guy who happens to be my ex-bully.

Great, just what I need.

“Shall we go now?” asked Brandon

“Yeah, let me just grab my coat.” I handed the flowers to mom and grabbed my coat from the couch I was sitting on earlier.

Making my way to the door, I saw him looking at me, it was a bit awkward and I started to feel conscious.

“You look beautiful” he said after I closed the door behind me. To be honest, I was a little surprised at his statement but at the same time, a kind of warmth made its way to the center of my belly.

“Uh, thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself.” He gave a husky chuckle and opened the door of his Ford for me.

As he sat in the driver’s seat, he looked at me and asked “So, where are we going?”

“Do you know Bellisio’s, the Italian restaurant near the Canal Park?”

“Oh yes, I do. Great place.” With that he started the engine and moved the car out of my driveway.

The journey to the restaurant was quiet, I wouldn’t say that it was a comfortable kind of quietness. I was feeling a bit nervous for no reason in particular. I took out my cell phone from the coat’s pocket, checking if there were any messages. I was hoping for at least one text from any damn person but all my hopes were dashed when I saw there were none. As I kept the cell phone back in my pocket, Brandon turned on the radio and I heard myself letting out a breath of relief. I didn’t have to try to start a conversation with him now. Thank God.

15 minutes later Brandon parked the car in the restaurant’s parking area. I was only able to undo my seat belt when he opened my side of the door and I got out. As we reached the restaurant’s entrance, he pulled the door for me. I narrowed my eyes internally, thinking why he was acting so gentlemanly.

Our table was at the corner of the restaurant, attached to a huge window which faced the backside of the Canal Park. Lena Del Ray’s soothing voice was playing in the background, with only the clattering of spoons and conversations overshadowing it.

After settling into my seat, I looked outside and saw families enjoying and playing in the park. My attention went towards a girl, around ten years old or so, sitting on a swing and laughing as her father pushed the swing forwards. Unknowingly, a lump formed in my throat but I swallowed it down. I was not going to let Brandon or anyone for that matter, see me cry.

“What do you want to drink?” I looked at him as he asked me.

“Some red wine would be nice.” I shrugged

After ordering our drinks, we were once again sitting in silence. For some reason I wanted to scream and make him start a conversation but could not bring myself to even say a word. A few seconds later the drinks were placed in front of us and I took a few sips. Feeling a tad better, I decided to break the silence.

“Thank you.” Those two words which my mom had been forcing me to speak to him, finally came out of my mouth. Except, they were not forced, I really meant them.

“Thanks a lot for saving me” I continued when I didn’t hear him say anything.

He let out a shaky laugh “And I thought that you were going to kill me.”

“Why would I kill you? You were the one who saved me, right?  Had it not been for you, I would have been charred beyond recognition and six feet under by now.”

He chuckled at that, “Well, you are here, alive, having dinner with me, so no more mention of anymore charred bodies please."

We both smiled as he finished his sentence.

I took a few more sips of my drink before asking, “Why did you think that I would kill you?”

He put his glass of wine and slowly looked towards me, his expression softened, “For the things I did to you when we were in school.”

“You mean all the cruel and pathetic things you did, the way you embarrassed me and made me a joke for everyone to laugh at?” All the good mood was gone by now, I was frustrated, upset and annoyed at the same time. I picked up my clutch and stood up from the chair but he was fast as he was now standing in front of the chair to prevent me from going.

“Please don’t leave. Let me explain and apologize to you. Please.” There was guilt in his eyes and his voice was begging. Taking a deep breath I sat back on the chair and he did the same.

After watching me relax a bit he continued, “See, I am sorry for what I did to you. Now, when I think of it, I feel like an asshole. That was a 17 year old, cocky teenager who did all those cruel stuff to you and made you a laughing stock. But this 26 year old man in front of you understands that it was mean to hurt you emotionally and this guy over here feels sorry about it.” Brandon was breathing heavily by the time he finished and took a big gulp from his glass.

“And what about the 17 year old teenager? Does he feel sorry?” I asked him

“He does not exist now.” I nodded at his reply and finished my drink.

I was sure that he felt sorry but something inside me was not ready to forgive him yet. Realizing that I was not going to say anything, he asked, “Do you want to order the food now?”

“Yeah”, that was all I replied.

Neither of us said a word for a while. Then minutes later our food arrived and I was too happy to dig into it. I was halfway into cutting my salmon when I put down my knife and fork and looked up at him. He sensed that I wasn’t eating and looked at me with questioning eyes.

“You cut my shirt when I was in the gym class and painted my jeans with acrylic colors.”

“I know and I am sorry for that.” He sighed and closed his eyes.

 “You morphed my face on a porn star’s photo and distributed the fliers to each and every student of 11th grade.” He stiffened as I said out loud the meanest of all the pranks he played on me.

His eyes were still closed but he opened them before replying, “I really think that you are going to kill me, kill me from guilt. I am sorry Brooke, I really am. If you want, I could say sorry for each and every prank I ever played on you. I could do sit ups here or anything you want. But please forgive me. I have been living with this shame since last nine years.”

“As much as I really want you to do sit ups here and embarrass yourself, I won’t make you do that. You’re forgiven” I smiled as his faced cracked into a grin.

“Really?” He asked me with the same sparkle in his eyes as that of a child when he gets an extra chocolate.

“Really” I nodded

“Oh thank you Brooke, thanks a lot.” He said while wrapping both his hands around mine.

Little goose bumps were forming on my arm as my hands were in his. Still beaming with joy, he let go of my hands and continued eating. I did the same and we ate in silence, comfortable silence.

After finishing our meal and paying the bill, which obviously he did even after I insisted that I should pay the it as technically I was the one who brought him here for dinner, we were sitting on the swings in the park which was now empty.

“So, as everything is settled and you have forgiven me, could we be friends now?” He asked as he brought his right hand forward.

I smiled and shook hands with him,

“Friends, but on one condition.” I said

I saw his expression pale a bit and tried to hide my smile, “What’s that?”

“You’ll have to make it up for me now.” I smirked.

He laughed, “Anything for you Ms. Evans.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aah, so, Brooke forgave Brandon. You have some surprise in the next chapter!! I can't wait for next upload!!

Vote, comment and fan. 

Until next Wednesday.

Nia x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1K 94 22
The thing was - Sapnap should pay more attention while texting people. But after all, aren't the best love stories born out of pure accidents?
6.6K 462 21
Even though it's been years, Mackenzie Hart is still haunted by her past. She was a good student, with a loving family, great friends, and a cute boy...
364K 11.2K 17
[COMPLETED] At the age of 4, Amanda and Tyler instantly become friends, however it came to an end before grade 5 began. After a tragic car accident...
118K 5.3K 35
growing up and growing apart sometimes people who really love you have to leave you for your own good and it's okay to grow apart holding on to thi...