Bound By Honour (Book 1)

By randomthoughts96

Two lands, one much richer than the other. A betrothal is suggested. Wolfe and Raven are to be married, or at... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Author's Note
Love and Honour
Extra Chapter

Chapter 8

34.1K 1.8K 94
By randomthoughts96

"Smart words but I don't see the harm in this dinner tonight, you can go home tomorrow and he will have to accept that you will not marry him." Lady Claire replies.

"Perhaps, if travelling today would be the same as tomorrow. Maybe you are immune within this garden but there is already snow outside and the skies are dark, the wind is picking up and everyone knows those signs. I will struggle to get home today, tomorrow will be impossible. Make him accept today I will not marry and he shouldn't want me to."

"Why should I?"

Sparrow chuckles.

"If I don't leave until tomorrow I will not head north, I will head east. I am sure that the Lords in the lands surrounding yours will be interested to know how impulsive and foolish your son is. They may not wish to live next to him anymore."

"You threaten but it is weak. I know very well that the Ricells are not on good terms with your people. You would not be safe; you would be thrown into the dungeons before you could do any damage to my son."

Sparrow laughs and plucks a rose and twists the stem between her fingers. "You sound so sure of yourself. But you lack the facts. It is true the Ricells and my ancestors were not on good terms. If others hadn't interfered one of our lines would have ceased to exist. When my sister first came, I journeyed with her part of the way then headed to them. I was not received with hospitality but the youngest Ricell, he was curious. Our elders may not get along but we do. He would listen to me. I had to make sure that we would have protectors if the deal with your son fell through." Sparrow turns and offers the rose. "I'm glad I have done so now."

"Get out!" Her voice shakes and Sparrow bows her head. "Get out now!"

Sparrow obeys quickly, her feet taking her outside the garden and across the white blanketed ground. There is no one around. Sparrow scans the area then takes off running.

Her feet pound across the ground, covering a great distance. She doesn't slow, she doesn't hasten, she simply keeps running. She only stops when she reaches the drop of a cliff. The wind picks up, whipping her long hair around. She stands at the very edge and breathes in the salty air. Waves crash several hundred metres below her, the spray not quite reaching her. She screams, pauses, and then screams again. Anger rushes from her lungs and spills into the wind around her.

For hours she stands there, her feet planted solidly to the ground, the wind tugging at her clothes and skin. It's not until the light starts to fade that she notices the growling pain in her stomach and the coolness to her cheeks. She turns, half expecting to have been forgotten. A tall figure sits atop a large bay horse. It throws its head up and snorts loudly. The rider dismounts and stands by its head. "Are you Sparrow?" His voice is quiet but somewhere she still hears him loud and clear. She nods, watching him warily. "I've been sent to find you along with many others." He exhales air in an almost chuckle. "You have my brother worried."

She doesn't reply straight away but analyses the man stood before her. He has dark curly blonde hair sitting atop his head and a short, well-kept beard across his face. Dark green eyes shine out at her and she notices how peaceful his expression is. He is dressed simply, in dark brown trousers, sturdy boots and a large black wool coat. As he waits he traces his fingers across the horse's neck to keep him calm. Clearly another one of the brothers.

"That was not my intention."

"What was your intention?"

"To escape," she looks out across the raging sea. "Has he changed his mind, I could make it home if I left now."

He stays silent for many moments, his eyes taking in every detail of the girl stood before him and the weather. "We both know it's too late for that. The weather is turning for the worst as we stand here, you'd die in the cold before you ever got home."

"I know. It was worth a shot. Which one are you?"

"How about I let you figure that one out yourself."

"Hunter?" 

He laughs. "No, him and I, we're opposites. I'll give you a piece of advice, stay away from him. He won't like you."

"Not many do." She watches as he tilts his head, curiosity growing on his face. She had stated it as if it was a fact. Her lips twist into a grin. "You shouldn't look so surprised."

"I did not know I did." 

Sparrow steps towards him and offers her hand, he slowly takes it and they shake. Their hands drop and she laughs. "Even you will dislike me soon enough."

"And why is that?"

She shakes her head and greets the horse. He nickers and exhales warm air onto her cold fingertips. "You ride, I'll follow."

Now he shakes his head, "No, you ride and I will walk by your side. My brother will not forgive me if I allow you to walk."

It doesn't take them long to get back. Sparrow remains by his side even as he untacks the horse and releases it into a large stable. They enter Wolfe's home together and he pauses outside a door. He turns to her, "They have been waiting for you but I'm sure they won't mind waiting a little bit longer for you to get changed." 

Sparrow chuckles, not bothering to look down at her mismatched outfit. She already knows she must look a mess. Her hair is knotted and tangled and her face is red from the cold.

She places her palm on the door, "I will not." She pushes it open and eighty eyes fall on her. Sparrow tips her chin up, her shoulders back, her legs in line with her shoulders. A prideful stance. A small smile plays on her lips. With a straight back she bows and several of the female guests gasp. A woman who bows rather than curtsy, they were led to believe she was a lady. Sparrow stands and scans the seats. Only two remain empty, both beside Wolfe. Her only choice is whether she'd rather sit by Ra or Lady Claire.

Lady Claire looks flustered and Sparrow knows what the kindest option would be. She strides across the room, avoiding Wolfe's scrutinising gaze. She places her hands on the back of the chair and nods towards Leo who watches with an amused grin. "I apologise for my lateness, I was not informed of the time that dinner was going to begin." The brother who had gone to collect her shook his head softly before turning on his heels and leaving the room. Sparrow lowers her voice so that only Wolfe and Ra will hear her, "Is he not going to attend this dinner?"

"No, why should he?" Wolfe replies.

Sparrow frowns. "He is your brother is he not?"

Wolfe glances up and his midnight blue eyes pin down Sparrow's. "My people are beginning to stare, sit down."

Sparrow flexes her fingers and scans the room; people are indeed staring at her as she remains standing behind her chair.

"He isn't fond of crowds and he does not approve of Wolfe's actions." Ra explains quietly. "Sit down now Sparrow or I will make you."

Sparrow smiles and takes her seat, but as she does so she leans over to Ra and whispers in his ear, "There are many knives around, be careful not to give me any opportunities." To anyone watching they would not have noticed that quick warning, they would only have seen her sit down with a slight unbalance. Ra huffs and pointedly removes her knife from her place setting. Sparrow keeps her expression blank but internally she smiles. A small victory but a victory none the less.

Wolfe rises to his feet and Sparrow warily allows her gaze to follow. Maybe she should have taken the time to change. She clearly is the odd one out and Wolfe is surely about to drag everyone's attention to her once more. She straightens her shoulders and allows herself to relax. This isn't a battle; there is no need to feel as if she needs to fight.

"My family, my friends, my people; I have invited you all here tonight to meet our guest of Honour," Wolfe smiles at her and everyone follows his gaze before their eyes go to his face once more. Sparrow doesn't understand how such an arrogant man has earned such respect and attention that they hold on to his every word, "Sparrow, would you rise?"

Sparrow narrows her eyes a fraction but rises to her feet ignoring Wolfe's offered hands.

"Lady..."

Sparrow coughs loudly and sends an apologetic look to those who frown at her while internally boiling.

"L..."

Again she coughs, her hand pressed to her collarbone. Jag, a few seats down, stifles a laugh.

"Warrior," he pauses but Sparrow does not cough again, seemingly the itch in her throat has gone, "Sparrow is from the Iceni Lands."

A few nudges around the tables are seen by Sparrow's quick eyes. She bites her tongue to stop herself from speaking. Clearly they all know of the circumstances of Raven's disappearance. An urge to protect her sister is strong within her.

"I bear no ill will towards our neighbouring lands or those who reside within them. I have every intention of honouring a peace treaty between us and Sparrow has willingly," Leo now glances down at his plate with far too much interest, especially since it is empty, "agreed to remain here until an agreement is met. This dinner is in her honour, so let it commence." He grins and within moments servers enter and start to fill everyone's plates.

Sparrow stands stock still. She must have misheard. He did not just tell an entire room of people that she would be remaining until a deal was made. A tug on her cloak makes her glance to her side. Wolfe has already sat and Ra glares up at her. This puts her in a position. Her family and her people desperately need a deal to be made but could she sacrifice her time here with a man who wanted the only thing she would refuse to give. She takes a slow breath in, unnoticeable to those who aren't watching her closely.

She takes her seat and looks at her food. Her stomach growls lowly. Quietly she speaks, "You've just lied to every single person in this room." Wolfe ignores her as he heartily tucks in to his meal. "What makes you think I won't inform them of that?"

Slowly he picks up a napkin and wipes his mouth before turning to her. His mocking, easy grin is back in place and Sparrow narrows her eyes. He is a handsome man and her sisters would be overjoyed being in his company, but not Sparrow. Appearances never meant much to her. Appearances could be deceiving, words and actions were what she learnt from. "Your honour would stop you. Your love for your family and for your people would stop you. You need an allegiance with me. If you didn't you would have ran when I gave you the chance." Her fist clenches around her remaining fork.

An inner war rages within her. She wants to show him up for what he has just done. She never gave her word to stay and he still has not apologised to her for his ridiculous actions. But he is right, her family and her people need his help. She looks down at her plate. If she leaves in the morning, now, then these people will think the worst of her, if they already don't. He has made his promise from earlier obsolete. She will have to stay now. She is bound by honour to do so. She glances up and her gaze meets Lady Claire's.

She raises her eyebrows at Sparrow, a smug smile planted on her lips. She must have reported their conversation to Wolfe. That must be why he has broken his word, if she goes to the Ricells now she will be shunned. She played right into his trap. Sparrow did not realise that she was so predictable.

Her stubbornness won and she once again rose to her feet. "May I have all of your attention?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160 8 8
Sirius can't stand her, and Regulus doesn't even want to see her, but Josephine still manages to find herself betrothed to the noble House of Black...
Dark Age Woman By tomboylatte

Historical Fiction

47.6K 3.8K 47
Carina hopes at last to find happiness with her brave knight. Then, tragically, he falls in battle. He finds his way back to her, a changed man. Can...
82.2K 7.8K 30
When a suitor comes hoping to win Princess Suzanna's heart, her whole world is turned upside down. With a reputation of talking far too much and wild...
1.4M 22.1K 86
The Duke of Marlborough has signed betrothal contracts on behalf of his daughter, Lady Arianna Kent. But Arianna is not the type to blindly follow he...