Daughter of Stars and Nightma...

By JM_Mansfield

Secrets can be Powerful. ...But they can also be Deadly. Unable to weld magic dooms Julia to a life of servit... More

Down the rabbit hole
Secrets
Secrets II
Life's a Beach
Life's a Beach 2
Ain't that a...Peach
Fun times at Hell's Broth
Tonight's Just Full of Lessons
Laughter round the campfire---not so much!
Laughter round the campfire---not so much! 2
Are You Freaking Kidding Me
Nectar of the Gods
Nectar of the Gods 2
The Changeling
The Changeling 2
I'm in no mood
Hallows Eve
Hallows Eve II
Lose Yourself
Fire on the Dance floor
Into the woods
No Going Back
Run! Run for your lives
I Wanna Go Back To Bed!!!!
Half-truths
Half-truths 2
The Fallout
Going Round in Circles
Not My Idea of a Fun Night Out
Not My Idea of a Fun Night Out 2
Show Me What You Got
Tribulation of the Heart
Kicking down the door.
Pure hatred is too sweet
Family reunions suck
The truth will out
The truth will out 2
Cat and mouse
cat and mouse 2
Cat and mouse 3
Cat and mouse 4
Moving Forward
The Madness That Consumes
The Madness that Consumes 2
The Strength Within
What lies beyond
Eternal Bonds

Awakening

8K 211 102
By JM_Mansfield

Julia had only been in Paris for two days, but she knew her presence had kicked open Pandora's Box and the horrifying contents were seeping into her mind. For any other, tonight would've been a perfect night to enjoy the tranquillity of Paris with a leisurely stroll. Yet the city's peaceful allure was completely lost on Julia.

Sweat plastered her cotton shirt to her ashen skin as she trudged along the deserted quayside. A humid breeze drifted up from the river Seine and set her teeth chattering. Julia rubbed her arms, trying to coax the warmth back into her clammy skin.

Clouds passed before the moon, dimming its pearl-coloured light, casting her into the darkest shadows of the night. Julia took absolutely no notice and kept walking; blinded by the dream that coiled about her, refusing to let go.

The anguished cries of a man and a woman, calling to one another, tore through her head. Each harrowing screech ricocheted against Julia's skull until pain reverberated through her quaking body and a groan slipped past her lips on the tail of a ragged breath. She couldn't discern a single word of the garbled shouts, but the desperate longing in their tones was unmistakable.

To escape sleep Julia had fled the confines of her room, but she now found herself trapped by this waking nightmare, powerless to break free. Frustration pooled in her belly, and Julia's slender fingers snaked through her tawny locks. She fisted them in her hair until the knuckles whitened.

The visions were nothing new for Julia. She'd been having the same dreams since early childhood, and they weren't something she'd ever talked about ̶ not even with her best friends.

Dreams were a serious affair in the magical world, and hers were not something any supernatural being would ever admit to experiencing. That was because of one indisputable fact: when supernatural beings died, their souls passed into Hades. Reincarnation was not only said to be impossible, but forbidden. Any attempt to bring a soul back from the other side was punishable by death.

Her instincts told her that what plagued her were not dreams, but memories. They were more real than any mere dream. She knew the people within them, even though she could never recall their faces ̶ knew them even better than her family or friends. It violated everything taught to her, and the implications petrified her.

Julia staggered away from edge of the quayside as the cacophony of wailing escalated. The couple's cries snaked down Julia's throat; their soul-crushing sadness choking her. Her legs buckled, and she hit the uneven cobblestone pavement with a sickening thud.

As the litany of screams sank into the recesses of her mind, she lay on top of the cool stones and gulped down air. Her vacant eyes gazed at the Port Montebello sign above her. How much more can I take of this before it drives me insane? How much more, when every time it ends, it only begins again?

A river of fire crackled through Julia until she forced herself to her feet, trying to flee it, to wake. She whimpered, squeezed her eyes shut, and a tremor of grief stirred the turmoil bubbling in the pit of her stomach. She tried to fight it back, but holding the agony at bay proved to be a Herculean task. All she could focus on was placing one shaky foot in front of the other as she climbed the stone steps to the upper embankment.

Not even the bright headlights of the lone car driving past her cut through the blackness gnawing inside of Julia. The visions started to coil around her again. The crushing weight, curling her shoulders forward as the dream occupied her mind; bogging her thoughts until she was drowning in despair.

Jasmine drifted toward her on the warm breeze. It was a sweet scent, Julia's favourite, and it always drew her lips into a smile. The delicate fragrance acted as a lifeline, pulling her from the chaos churning inside of her, leading her back to reality. But the dreams were unwilling to let go of her without a fight, and the riptide of dark emotions swelled up inside of her determined to drag her back under.

Julia grimaced, clutched her chest, and staggered forward. Her shaky hand reached for the concrete wall. She stood there for what seemed like hours, hunched over, clinging to the wall trying to force the feelings of desolation and pain to recede.

A ghostly whisper of pity drifted toward her from the passing breeze, as though the night itself could not bear her pain. The wind picked up, lashing about her, and a pair of ethereal arms encircled Julia, ripping her out of the nightmare's grasp.

Julia's head began to clear and her attention drifted toward the flickering street lamps on the single-lane bridge in front of her. Letting go of the wall, she turned in a slow circle and took in her surroundings. A long string of expletives tumbled out of her mouth. She had no idea where she was, other than lost on the deserted streets of Paris. The only landmark she could identify was Notre Dame Cathedral, which was across the river.

When Julia fled the safety of the hotel; delirium made her forget two vital things. The first, in human cities like this one there were no protective spells around it to keep the inhabitants safe. The second and far more important fact was; Europe's largest portal to Alandria, the capital of the supernatural world, located somewhere in the catacombs of Paris. The magical wards and barriers that were in the city were only located in that vast labyrinth to protect the portal from humans. She was not safe here.

Worse, she didn't think she was alone, either. The faintest thread of magic lingered around her--magic that she could never wield. It was old, ominous--had a hint of spice, as though a darker magic mingled with a purer, more elemental variety.

A languorous shiver crept outward from Julia's spine. This was a dangerous place for half-breeds like herself. Nefarious magical beings lurked in dark shadows and decrepit alleyways, preying on the weak and defenceless--and she was alone. She wasn't even supposed to have come to Paris. Neither were her friends. Yet she'd come with them anyway because they'd wanted to visit the City of Love.

Suddenly she regretted arguing with her best friend Ren about coming here.

"The only way I'll agree to us going is if you swear to me; that you will not to leave my side," he'd demanded, giving in to her.

She'd been unable to even keep that small promise.

Julia looked her watch, letting out a guilt-twisted-groan as the hands ticked past 3 a.m. Then turned her attention back to the cathedral, hoping the church would have a map she could use to plot her way back to the hotel. She had started across the bridge when the flickering light posts began to lag and sputter. Their unnatural rhythm, combined with the bizarre fizzle-crack-pop sound emanating from them, felt more like magic than an electrical fault.

The hairs on the back of her neck began to prickle. Julia knew she should ignore it and keep going, but couldn't stop herself from looking over her shoulder. She saw tendrils of the same ominous magic she'd encountered only moments ago moving toward her and clapped her hands over her mouth. The last thing she wanted to do was show fear, it was purest ecstasy to demonic creatures.

Julia's blood ran cold as the vine-like threads of a heavy, ancient magic stretched out all around her. They brushed against her skin, turning her legs to jelly, causing her step to falter.

Julia froze and watched the magic curl over the sides of the bridge. A second later the threads of magic started slowly retracting, it reminded her of someone reeling in a giant fish. A shroud of oppressive darkness rose out of the river and surrounded her. The eerie blackness dug its claws into everything--staking its claim on the walkway. With one last splutter of life, the lights winked out, leaving the milky glow of a full moon as the only source of light on the bridge.

Julia's breath sped up, and her head snapped about as she waited for her eyes to adjust. The inky haze formed a sludgy wall behind Julia, blocking out the light on the street behind her. It sluggishly started moving toward her. Julia's heart slammed against her rib cage, anxiety tearing the last of her composure to shreds. She turned and saw the well-lit church calling out like a beacon of salvation. Flight, flight, flight, her body screamed; adrenaline flooded her system until it forced her legs into action and dashed across the bridge. By the time she reached the middle, crippling fear threatened to swallow her whole.

Julia lifted onto the balls of her feet to gain more purchase so she could sprint the rest of the way, but her body jerked back. It felt like a pair of hands had a tight grip on her, keeping her in place. Julia yanked her shoulders forward with a loud grunt, trying to free herself. But her efforts proved fruitless and a tremor of dread and terror rocketed through her.

Once again, the strong scent of jasmine engulfed her. Euphoria washed over Julia. It numbed her hysteria and all rational thought in its wake. Every inch of Julia's body relaxed, giving into the calm state of mind the intoxicating aroma induced making her forget about the danger all around her. Julia turned to inhale more of the lovely scent and gasped. Thousands of delicate white blossoms descended from the heavens. A flurry of air carried them onto the river, turning the midnight water ivory.

Hypnotized with a sense of wonderment, she walked up to the guardrail and leaned over, greedy for a better look. Impulsively, she hoisted her whole body up on top of the railing and precariously balanced her right knee on the thin strip of polished iron.

"Don't do it, Ma mie," a man called out behind her. He seemed to materialize out of thin air.

She lurched forward with a surprised yelp and a set of strong fingers grabbed the back of her shirt, halting her descent into the river.

"Whatever the reason, it's not worth it," the man said, sounding concerned.

Julia's cheeks burned with embarrassment. "I wasn't going to jump," she shouted as she spun around, ready to slap the stranger into next week. "I almost fell thanks to you—" her eyes met his and she let the sentence drop like a stone. Excitement and trepidation tingled every nerve ending and set her body ablaze. It was the first time she'd ever come face-to-face with a dark faerie.

Mesmerised, Julia couldn't take her eyes off his luminous irises. Their bright quicksilver colour glowed, slicing through the darkness surrounding them straight into her, as he peered down at her. It was disconcerting, and it sent a shudder through her.

He chuckled and took a few steps away from Julia. "I apologise. I didn't mean to frighten you."

The thin slit Julia's lips had been pressed into relaxed as his soothing voice swept over her. It was rich and enticing making it hard for her to concentrate on anything other than him.

"I... was, "she shook her head trying to remember what it was she wanted to say. "I was looking at the flowers in the river. Didn't you see them?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't." He gave her a wry smirk. "You know it's not safe for you to be out on your own."

She blinked a few times; his statement seemed to free her from the trance he had her in. Oh good gods, Julia scoffed. I bet he's one of those men with a ridiculously backward notion that women need to be taken care of. She regarded his outfit: fawn, worn leather riding boots, tan leather trousers and a flaxen brocade cavalier vest. She concluded that he must be from Alandria; and assumed his views were as old-fashioned as his clothing.

She bit the side of her lower lip and raked over his body one more time. His long raven black hair fell over his shoulders, highlighting the sleek planes on his face and contrasting nicely against the burgundy of his button-down shirt. The style suited his tall, elegant build. When her gaze glided back up to his face, he greeted her with a wicked smile that left her in no doubt he knew she was ogling him.

"Why should I be afraid of running into humans?" she asked, his impish smile coaxing her playful side out. "I'm more than capable of taking care of myself."

Matching his grin with an even more devilish one, Julia arched an eyebrow, placed her hand on the iron railing and squeezed. The metal gave way with such ease she could've been crushing an empty soda can. The stranger let out a soft laugh when she moved her hand, revealing what she was capable of.

"That's good to know." He took a few steps closer, closing the gap between them and stretching out his long-fingered hand to her. "However, you and I both know I wasn't referring to humans. You really should come with me."

His graceful body towered over her, yet Julia didn't feel threatened. The lines of his jaw; their soft angles stirred the depths of her mind. Julia couldn't shake the feeling she'd met him before. Tucking her hair behind her ear, she leant forward staring into his enthral eyes. They had an unusual hint of cornflower blue mixed in with the silver.

Recognition started sizzling through Julia's synapses and her hand stretched out toward his of its own accord. Realising what she was doing, she stopped in midair, her fingers so close to his she felt their tantalising heat.

"I'm lost, not in danger. Besides." Julia searched his features again. "I don't even know you." The words felt wrong, but she knew they were true; she'd never met him before.

A tentative expression took hold, and he tilted his head. "Bea?"

Julia stared at him, confused, and shook her head not sure how to reply. The way he spoke that single word made it feel as though he was asking her a thousand questions, all of them wrapped up in that name.

"It appears you don't," he replied, sadness flitted across his face before vanishing.

She looked down, twisted her fingers together and started nibbling on the inside of her cheek. His actions struck her as odd and made her feel awkward. Back in her hometown, everyone had always said dark fae were weird and not to be trusted. Julia never put much stock into it, but he sure was proving the adults right. "I should get going."

The air between them grew thick with immense pressure. An overwhelming desire to look at the stranger devoured her. When Julia's hazel eyes met his, the intense pull of his hypnotic stare trapped her. Reason started to dissolve. Julia's reluctance to go with the stranger disappeared. Heat flooded her body, pooling in her chest and her lips parted ready to tell the stranger she would accept his offer.

The edges of the dark faerie's lips turned up in a sly grin and he looked incredibly pleased with himself. He chuckled before looking away, freeing her from the enchantment.

Julia was breathless as the desire to follow him to the ends of the earth ebbed. She swallowed a few times and tried to collect her thoughts. Whoa, what the hell was that? Did he just-? She quashed that crazy thought before she could finish it. Nah, don't be stupid, everyone knows dark fae can't do that kind of magic.

The stranger continued chuckling. Julia's forehead furrowed, she didn't get what was so funny.

He stopped laughing and grew very serious. "I won't force you. But know this, I wasn't lying when I said it's not safe for you out here." His gaze turned lamentable. "Save yourself a lot of heartache and please come with me."

Something about the cadence of his voice struck a chord deep inside Julia. She knew she had experienced an incident similar to this before. But where? And when had it happened? Julia ran through every conceivable answer she could think of, trying to reconcile with the impossible, but nothing made sense.

His outstretched hand called out, take me, to her. In that moment her hand once again moved of its own accord into his. The stranger's soft hand wrapped around hers, electricity surged between them and seared her skin. The current pulsated through her body, causing the world around her to blur. The reaction loosened something wedged deep in her mind.

The raspy voice of the screaming woman in Julia's dreams echoed through her head, "The promise." Julia sucked in a sharp breath; she'd never been able to discern a single word before now, it had always been garbled screaming. The woman's laughter twisted into a menacing cry, making Julia's skin crawl. "Go", the voice yowled, "now."

Julia's vision focused, and she fought to keep a calm outward appearance. She didn't know how to interpret what just happened or the meaning of those words. Even though the stranger didn't seem to pose any danger to her, Julia took those words as a warning.

She looked at the light from the cathedral and made up her mind. "Thank you for your offer but I'll be fine on my own." Julia kept her voice light and friendly, as she pulled her hand out of his. "I'll make my own way just fine." It was a bald-faced lie. She knew full well she would just end up getting lost again; her sense of direction was appalling.

"Ma mie," he said, almost pleading. His face softened and a warm glow coloured his cheeks while he regarded her. It made her feel as if he was beholding a cherished friend he hadn't seen in ages; the same way Ren would look at her after returning home from a long trip. "I'll ask you one more time. Please, come with me. I promise you will be safe with me."

"Why should I trust you? It makes no sense why you would want to help me." The sharp words tumbled out of her mouth.

A playful Cheshire Cat grin split his face. "Clever, as always. I offer you my help because I don't want to see you get hurt. Our kind should help each other."

His strange statement left her flabbergasted. What a nutcase, Julia thought. After a moment she said, "I should," pausing she gazed into his eyes and the urge to go with him surfaced once more. "I, umm. I need to get going." She had to force the words out.

Julia turned toward the way she came. She was too perplexed as to why she was finding it so hard to walk away from him, to even notice she was heading in the wrong direction. Or even realise that the inky haze surrounding them had dissipated.

The stranger reached out, grabbing her shoulder. "You're going in the wrong direction."

Her face tightened and a deep frown set in. She turned and glared at him. "You know where I'm staying?" her tone was accusing.

He released her and let out a glorious laugh. "Forgive me, Ma mie." He paused. Julia sensed he was going to say more but decided not to. He pulled a fifty Euro note out of his pocket and held it out to her.

"At least take this." With his other hand he pointed toward the cathedral. "If you cross the bridge and walk past the front of Notre Dame, you will find a taxi rank on the other side. Taking a taxi will get you back to your hotel quicker. It will also put my mind at ease."

"Okay," she said, scrunching her forehead up. Julia didn't get why he would care if she got back safe or not. But remembering she'd left her wallet back in the hotel and had no money to pay for a taxi herself; she wasn't about to turn down his offer.

Julia took the money and the headlights of a metallic blue Mercedes 4x4 caught her attention as it crawled past them on the road next to the bridge. She hadn't been in Paris long, but it felt like that Mercedes had been following her since she set foot in the city. She dismissed the thought as more foolish paranoia.

Julia looked back and found herself alone on the bridge. She smiled, shaking her head over the stranger and their surreal encounter. Julia tucked money into the pocket of her jeans and decided it best to head toward the church, find a taxi and get back to the hotel.

***************

Hello everyone I hope this has whet your appetite for a good Dark Fantasy. Believe me, it just keep getting better and better. So keep reading.

Thanks for reading and please don't forget to vote it helps get my books noticed.

love ya.

JJ

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247 13 11
Character Description and Aesthetic Contest prompts: β€’Fantasy: In a kingdom of elemental magic, you gain the ability to control all four elements...
10.5K 1.3K 52
Landing herself in trouble with a man who seems to always be there for her, Winter learns she is a cursed witch with a ruined magical core. Secrets a...
553 239 17
"Young Girls are told to be delicate princesses but you can be a warrior." β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­•βœ΄β­• A warrior is born. Destined to be...
1.3K 117 25
It is popularly known that whatever happens, happens to be good. Whether it's going to happen or even it happened. And it happens like a blessing. Fo...