I'm in no mood

Hell's Broth and Harpier's Cry Diner

The after school crowd packed the diner. Everyone laughing, joking and were rowdy at their tables. Most of the teens loved letting off steam there.

Damien leaned over the table and said over the commotion, "So look guys there's this party at a friend's place near Medford on Halloween. It will be a huge event and I wanted to know if you guys wanted to come?"

Julia bounced up and down like an excited puppy. "Cool I'm in. Halloween in Havenswood is so boring and I really want to get out of here."

The group gave her weary looks. Julia knew her mother would go beyond postal if she caught Julia sneaking out of town to go to a party but she didn't care.

"Who is this friend of yours?" Kuro asked then he looked at Julia. "I hate to burst your bubble but you know your mom isn't going to let you go. Especially since it's not in Havenswood."

"My mom will not be a problem," Julia replied as if she had everything already planned out. "She has to take part in the Hallows' Eve ceremony and then she's on patrol all night so she'll be too busy to notice that I'm gone."

Damien said to Kuro, "My friend is MormoShadowmist. He's looking forward to meeting you guys."

Everyone's mouths dropped open; they went silent at hearing the name of such a famous warlock.

Kuro was on the edge of his seat and said excitedly, "You mean you're friends with the Mormo."

Damien smiled and nodded his head cool as a cucumber. "Yep, I've known him for years. And his parties are crazy awesome."

Abby squealed squeezing her sister's arm in a death grip. "I can't believe you know one of the most famous warlocks of the modern era. Of course I'm in. It'd be like meeting the Weird Sisters."

Ella pried her poor hand out of her sister's hold and rubbed it. "I'm in as well."

Kuro nodded his head with a face splitting smile. "Me too."

Julia's high spirits had vanished replaced with a tentative look. "Damien, I'd love to go but I don't know if I want yet another warlock looking down on the reject of the Malphas line. I know how they get when they find out I have no magic."

Damien put his arm around Julia. "Don't worry Mormo isn't like that. I promise you he's nice, and he wants to meet you."

Hearing this got her back up. "You told him about me! How could you?"

Damien looked at her hurt and embarrassed expression. He stood, took a wad of money out of his wallet then set it on the table. "This should cover the bill and desert if you guys want any. If you'll excuse us we're going to go." Smiling at everyone reassuringly. "We'll make plans tomorrow about getting to the party, okay." He reached out his hand; caught Julia's and tugged her up. "Oh, and it's a costume party so don't forget to get a cool costume."

Julia was staring at her feet as they left the dinner. Damien pulled her down the road then stopped; cupping her chin in his hand he lifted her face. "Jules, please don't be upset. Mormo is the one who gets me the juice you love. He wanted to know who's made me so happy, cause it's been a long time since he's seen me this happy."

She gave him a cautious look. "And what did you tell him?"

Julia really liked Damien however every time she thought about trying to take things further a voice in the back of her head shouted at her not to. It was annoying, but it had such a hold over her she kept listening to it. And Damien seemed happy not to push things between them any further either. Which left them safely inside the friend zone.