Paul Lantar

By ThomasBerryman

In Contro City people disappearing or winding up dead was not out of the ordinary. One photograph in the news... More

Paul Lantar
Chapter 2 - Poetry and Movies
Chapter 3 - The Boxer's Last Fight
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Bonus Chapter.
Re-writes

Chapter 16

2.6K 57 11
By ThomasBerryman

To Jenna

Paul crashed onto his bed after taking twenty milligrams of Valium buzzed, he felt relaxed for the first time in days. He gulped down a glass of milk, and for the moment the thirst was quenched Fash was not on his mind.

Maybe I can trust Alvin? No don’t trust anyone. I can’t trust myself lately why did I take the Valium? I should kill Slick Steve for selling me this, but it feels good.

Paul woke the next morning sleeping through his alarm; he was disorientated from the affects of Valium. He stumbled around the room trying to neaten things that were out of place, and get organized.

Fash? Alvin? What was next?

 “What are you doing we’re suppose to be going to the driving range to hit some balls today,” Carina burst into his room, “Are you okay?”

“Yeah? I’m getting ready,”

Driving range with Carina to practice for our golf match, now I remember. Now get out.

“You look out of it brother,” Carina placed a hand on his forehead.

 “I’m fine,” he brushed her hand away, continuing getting his outfit together.

“Nice hit, you are so precise at everything!” Carina admired her brother’s effortless driving ability.

This is the most boring shit ever, what was I thinking doing this to focus?

 “Thanks,” Paul smiled.

 I need to talk to Alvin. 

“You’re still not telling me what is really upsetting you Paul,” Carina said, just before striking the ball, her skills were nowhere near her brothers. 

Paul smashed another ball with all of his strength hitting the most distant sign available, “Don’t keep pushing me Carina.”  

 Carina placed her golf club up against a rusty railing, and looked out at the range where hundreds of balls now lay like eggs. “You know what’s bugging me?”

“What?” No mind games today little sister!

“This serial killer?”

“How is it bugging you?”

Carina shifted her attention to Paul, who was still gripping his club, “Well the murders all seem so soon after each other. The guy doesn’t even have a cool off period like they’re supposed to, according to my studies.”

She’s fucking right I haven’t had a break. That’s my trouble.

 “He just seems odd, not like the ‘normal’ ones you read about” Carina continued.

 Paul squeezed his golf club tightly there were no other people at the driving range today, except the old man who charged them the fee to hit, “Carina, don’t think about it too much it’s unhealthy for you.”

“Sorry Fash, I couldn’t make it yesterday something came up,” Paul cleared his throat, lying was easy for him but doing it to a detective made him edgy.  They were both sitting together in the same unit Paul was previously paying for, he took up Fash’s offer to pay since he was now jobless.

 “It’s okay.”

 “So where were you?” Fash slapped herself, “Ah I just sounded like a detective.”

 “You are a detective, and a good one. I was talking to your boss actually,” he told the truth, she would find out anyway.

 “Bill talked to you? About what?”

 “Trish.”

 “Oh, yeah I forgot,” Fash placed a hand on Paul’s lap, “Are you dealing with it okay?”

 Something is off with her.

 “Yeah, it’s hard, but I’ll manage.”

 “You don’t seem to shook up by it,” Fash looked him directly in the eyes.

 Stop it!

 “I deal with things different to other people I guess.”

 “Hey, I’m going to go take a shower,” Fash seemed contented with his answer.

 As soon as Fash closed the door behind her in the small bathroom of the unit, Paul made for her briefcase.

 No lock? Though you are a detective who’d steal from you?

 There were loads of papers all about the investigation taking place, pictures of suspects, criminal profiling that seemed to continuously change, all of which were signed off by Bill Darsen. Underneath the neatly organized case was a plain envelope Paul opened it.

 Fuck!

 There it was a photo from Trish’s crime scene, one taken of the crowds and a small red circle around Paul’s head.

 Scheming bitch!

 Paul slid the photo back in carefully, and replace all contents back where they belonged. He guessed this was off the record, a theory Fash hadn’t consulted with mister Darsen about.

She’ll be following me for sure now! How could she suspect me? Maybe it’s just a sick coincidence, and she wanted a photo to remember me by? No that’s nuts.

 Fash re-entered the room fully clothed in her pajamas, “No dirty deeds tonight I am not feeling to well, I hope you don’t mind,” Fash’s face was emotionless.

“That’s okay, me either,” Paul felt like vomiting, all of his hard work was about to be undone by the beautiful detective.

 Fash poured herself a glass of milk; “Want some?” she shook an empty glass at Paul.

How nice of you to offer.

“No I better get going, I have things to do.”

Paul found himself in Alvin’s office looking out over the city at the bright lights, “That detective suspects me.”

“How do you know?” Alvin stood next to Paul admiring the beautiful light show the city presented.

“I found a photo of me in her briefcase, in the crowd…at Trish’s homicide location.”

Alvin looked at Paul with a face full of worry, “Good lord, but weren’t you with Fash when she was called to scene?”

Paul felt slightly relieved, he was with her at the time the body was called in and at the time of Trish’s murder, “She still suspects something is off though, why else? She followed me here last time to remember?”

“I do, and she has followed you again I’m afraid Paul…look,” Alvin pointed at the security footage of Fash lurking around on the lower level trying to work out how to get up.

“What do I do? Tell me…please? Paul felt low having to beg for Alvin’s advice.

 Alvin casually walked over and pressed a button on his desk, “Yeral?”

 “Yes sir?” the African bodyguards voice responded immediately through the intercom.

 “Detective Fash is here on level one, bring her to my office.”

 Paul felt shivers going up his spine his legs were like jelly.

 “What the hell are you doing?”

 You fucking idiot.

 Alvin didn’t answer he walked over to a door, that Paul guessed was Alvin’s own private room that was attached to the office. He pulled out a set of keys from his pocket and unlocked it, “Wait in here until I bring you back out.”

 Paul went inside, it was pitch black and he dared not turn the lights on he stood silently in the darkness listening to Alvin sit back down in his chair. He heard the door open, “Detective Fash what a pleasant surprise,” Alvin greeted her just as he did anyone important.

 “Pastor Alvin…nice office you got here.”

 “Thank you, have a seat detective. What can I do for you?”

 “I wanted to ask you a few questions about somebody, I’m sure has something to do with this church.”

 “Really? But why?”

 “I really can’t say yet,” Fash’s voice was unsure.

 “Well do you have a name for me detective? I may be a man of god but unfortunately I can’t read minds.”

 “Sorry, his name is Paul Lantar…do you know him?”

 There was silence for a few moments Paul looked behind him seeing if there were any other exits, but it was too dark.

 “Of course, Paul has come here many times, troubled boy…mostly to confess sins.”

 “Does he seem a little odd to you?” Fash questioned, her voice held a hint of excitement she was onto something.

 “My dear, there are many odd people here, but I guess a little I did just tell you he was troubled.”

Troubled?

 “Is there anything else you could tell me about him?”

 “You and I both know, that church confessions can’t be discussed other than between me, the person, and the almighty.”

 A phone rang, Paul knew the ringtone it was Fash’s.

“What? Where? All of them? Okay I’ll be there right away.” 

“Everything alright detective?”

“Somebody stumbled upon the bodies we’ve been looking for, we’re sure it’s them anyway all dismembered in the bush land."

No! Another month and they would all have been disintegrated to ashes, which I would sprinkle into the river. 

“Detective that is horrifying news, please tell me no more,” Alvin’s tone was very convincing. 

“Sorry pastor, and thank you for your time. I got to go.”

Paul didn’t know what to say Alvin didn’t seem worried at all.

“Say something!”

“I’m sure you left no evidence correct?” 

Correct.

“Correct. So?”

 “You know where Seltorens is?”

 Of course I’m not an idiot!

 “That small hippy town, about four hours away?” Paul already knew the answer.

 “Yes, I suggest relocating your deeds their, have Bill and his team think you’ve left Contro.”

 “And what about Fash?” Paul questioned the pastor eagerly.

 “She’ll still follow you…off the record. She has nothing solid. I suggest you let her follow you, and well you know what to do.” Alvin stared out into the city smiling.

 I’m not one of your sheep Alvin, but you are proving useful maybe we could be friends?

Paul snuck out of the house once Veena was asleep, and snuck into his grandmother’s car she’d secretly left to him. He parked the car two blocks away out of sight from the family. Paul started up the old vehicle, and as soon as he did he noticed a car about a kilometer away turn its lights on.

 Fash…shouldn’t you be looking at bodies? My victims!

 He took the backstreets of the city Fash thought she was so clever tailing him, as if he didn’t know. Paul arrived at his sanctuary, and quietly opened the double gates at the front, then the garage. He drove in and shut the engine off, creeping through the darkness of the house quietly. Paul scanned the backyard for any sign of ambush; he knew Fash’s eyes were upon him, as he opened the hidden trap door to his underground shelter.

 Paul turned the lights on, and took hold of a baseball bat patiently waiting behind the bar. The small entry creaked open and the footsteps were loud, as the proceeded down. Fash already had her weapon drawn she was ready for action.

 “Fash what are you doing here?” Paul pretended he was hitting homeruns with the baseball bat.

 “Put down the bat Paul, I know what you are,” Fash kept her gun focused on his chest.

 “You’re going to kill me Fash?” Paul stepped from around the bar.

 “Put down the bat I won’t say it again Paul!” her hands were shaking. 

 “You won’t need to,” Paul threw the bat with all of his strength striking Fash in the hand sending her gun far out of reach.

 She automatically gripped her hand in pain as Paul revealed a knife and descended toward her smiling.

 You got no idea how long this took me to set up!

 Fash bent down, and withdrew a small knife from an ankle holster where she should have had a gun in its place.

 “Now you can’t say…never bring a knife to a gunfight!” Paul laughed at his own joke, as Fash lunged for him taking a swipe with her uninjured hand missing his face by inches.

 “Fuck you…little…creep,” she missed again.

 Paul lunged his blade through her mid section, her eyes opened wide with shock, and then she looked down as the blood started to ooze out. She drove her small knife into Paul’s thigh on her way to the ground.

 He jumped back immediately Paul couldn’t have his blood mixed with the detectives.

 Fash was still alive; with her last actions she withdrew her mobile and attempted to dial a number. Paul kicked the phone out of her hand with his good leg making sure their bloods didn’t contaminate each other.

 This is so fucked.

 Paul retrieved the first aid kit from behind the bar; he had never needed to use it before. There wasn’t a time where he had to heal a victim, but kept it there in an event like this. He cleaned his wound, and then wrapped it up in plastic wrap followed by bandaging.

 Not so bad I guess...now a valium to ease the mind...pop. 

 A few hours later after having dismembered his latest and greatest Paul drove the detectives car a few blocks away. He wrapped her up neatly and bestowed her in the trunk of his grandmothers’ car.  The only other passenger he had along for the ride besides the body parts in the back was Fash’s briefcase, and her belongings upfront ready to be burnt.

 Another four hours went by as he entered the small hippy town of Seltorens.

Nice entry sign.

The welcome sign to the small town had graffiti all over it; one that stood out on the mostly blue sign was a large cannabis leaf.

 Though it’s not very welcoming. I’m bringing the police to your drug-ridden town. I need to start looking for a new job when I get back. 

What do you think of Seltorens?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

The Whole Truth By jaxharlow

Mystery / Thriller

432K 20.1K 52
Adele knows she witnessed a murder - what she doesn't know is just how personal it is. ...