Ready or Not

By LEFT_BRAINED_CHILD

"Your mine," I tell her, trying to control my breathing. "As your mine." She whispers back, her sweet breath... More

Ready or Not (Unedited)
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chater 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue
Teaser

Chapter 10

17K 455 27
By LEFT_BRAINED_CHILD

Chapter 10

Camille’s POV

I felt the ache in my chest as soon as Austin pulled out of the driveway and disappeared from my sight. We had somehow strengthened the bond significantly in the short time he was here. I’ll admit the guy was growing on me and the idea of going back to his- our pack suddenly wasn’t as scary as I had originally thought. Granted, it was still terrifying but manageable. Austin said I had three days until he came and got me himself. Part of me wanted to pack right now and hurry down to surprise him, while the other part wanted to cherish my last few days at home.

“How are you holding up?” I turn and find Sarah appraising me like I’m gona fall apart. I shrug indifferently.

“I’m managing. It hurts though.” She nods in understanding. “I mean part of me wants to follow him and the other part is too scared to. I’m torn down the middle.”

“Matt and I haven’t had to be separated to this extent before but I can sympathize with you a little. My chest hurts too whenever we’re not together.” I look off into the distance dreading the answer to the next question I’m going to ask.

“Does it ever get better?”

“Well, I’m not the best example. You should probably ask a mated couple who has been together longer, but from my minimal experience; I’d say it gets a little easier but not much. Love isn’t really meant to be easy though.”

“Wow Sarah that’s deep.” I can’t help but chuckle. She fails to keep a straight face too. “Thank you.” I tell her after composing myself.

“Anytime cupcake.” She playfully nudges me.

“Call me that again. I dare you.” I fix her with a playful glare.

“Whatever you say cupcake!” she sing songs.

“You’re asking for my inner animal sweet cheeks.” I fall into a boxing stance.

“Ok, ok. No more cupcake. Geez.” Sarah tosses her hands up in mock surrender laughing.”

“Are you harassing my mate, Camille?” Matt strides over to us and wraps his arms around Sarah from behind.

“Absolutely not. It’s her that’s harassing me.” I point my finger accusingly. Sarah rolls her eyes.

“Please. Don’t put this off on me.” She tells me before turning and giving Matt her perfected puppy look.

“Matt don’t fall for it! Look away!”

“Camille stop harassing my mate.” Matt finally looks away from his manipulating mate and smirks at me. Sarah looks smug. I roll my eyes.

“Perfect. Thanks Mattie you’re a real doll.” I lay on think sarcasm. Imma leave you two to it then. Adios!” I wave and head in to figure out my next step.

“Don’t call me that!” I hear Matt shout at my retreating back. I smile to myself and shut the front door behind me.

“Hey honey! What did Austin say?” my mom intercepts me before I can escape to my room.

“I think you already know mom.” I tell her trying to avoid going through everything again.

“Ok, fine all I know is he had to leave suddenly but what all did you two decide on?”

“Well he said he wasn’t going to make me come down before I was ready but because he’s selfish and can’t be without me for too long, if I’m not there within three days he said he’d get me himself.” I repeat Austin’s words with a little added embellishment.

“Well that sounds like a good plan. I’m sure you miss him already but you two will be back in each other’s arms before you know it.” My mom assures me.

“Do you remember meeting dad’s pack for the first time?”

“Not really sweetheart. It’s hard to think about it now because I can’t imagine anything other than it is now, but I remember at first everyone was a little hesitant at accepting a new leader but once they saw how much your father loved me, the choice was easy and I quickly became like family.” I sigh in exasperation and nervousness.

“Do you think they’ll like me I mean-

“Honey. Please. They will love you. What’s not to love? You’re strong, independent, loving, generous, and trustworthy. All are important qualities in a Luna. You will be very successful in leading the pack next to Austin. Don’t stress about it.”

“Ok, I’ll try my best.”

“That’s all I ask.” My mom smiles and brings my in for a bone crushing hug. “Why don’t you call up the girls and go do something to get your mind off missing Austin.”

“Ok good idea. I’ll go call them now.” I assure her putting a smile on my face. “Thanks mommy!” I peck her cheek.

Ladies!! Lets hang out ASAP! I need to get my mind off you know who. Any takers?

……….

“Come on Brookie one more!” Jamie begs. Brooke looks at the shot in for of her warily. “Live a little!”

“I don’t know Jamie, I’ve already had two plus a margarita and I have brunch with Camille’s mom tomorrow.” Brooke desperately grasps at anything to avoid another drink. I on the other hand could use one. I snatch the little glass from the table and throw it back. The girls gape at me.

“What? Can’t let a perfectly good shot go to waste.” I shrug my shoulders. Sarah narrows her eyes at me like she knows what I’m doing, but choose not to say anything. She’s the only one who knows that Austin left.

“Bad day huh.” Jamie says. I shrug. I wasn’t really in the mood to rehash my problems.

“You could say that.”

“Another round it is then.” She stands and heads for the bar. Perfect. I just need the burn of alcohol to numb the pain in my chest for a while. A few minutes later Jamie comes back with a tray filled with about twice as many shots as there are people.

“Uh Jamie? I don’t know what your thinking but there’s no way any of us can drink all that. Why’d you waste all your money?” Brooke stares at the tray with a deer in headlights look.

“I didn’t pay a thing for these. That table of fine looking humans got them for us. We still got it ladies!” she cheers dramatically, probably for the guys benefit and throws one back. I roll my eyes and reach for a glass. After throwing it back I set it down on the table and when I look up, lock eyes with one of the guys at the table. He smiles, and maybe its because I’m way past my limit, but I smile back.

“Ok I think we’ve all had enough.” Brooke decides about a half hour later. The tray of shots has been cleared and at least Jamie and I are pretty far gone. Sarah is tipsy for sure but Brooke somehow managed to stay sober for the most part.

“Sarah, text Matt that were on our way and to meet us at the Walgreens down the street. I think a few water bottles and Advil would do these two some good for tomorrow morning.” Brooke falls into mother hen mode and watches Sarah fumble with her phone attempting to contact Matt.

“Here let me do it.” Brooke finally gives up and texts Matt herself. We then pile out of the bar and onto the street. By now it’s easily one or two in the morning and the street is pretty much deserted. The bar backs up to the forest and we walk along the sidewalk arm in arm to keep eat other up.

“DON’T STOP BELIEVING! HOLD ON TO THAT FEELING!!!!!” Jamie and I burst into our own rendition of Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing. Brooke and Sarah groan and try in vain to keep us quiet and in control. Completely oblivious to what’s going on around us, I don’t sense anything’s wrong until Brooke cuts in.

“Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” Jamie asks, a pout on her face because Brooke interrupted our song.

“I thought I heard something in the woods.” She explains.

“It’s probably a deer.” I tell them all, still in my drunken world and just wanting to get home. By now were only a few minutes away from the Walgreens. So close yet so far.

“I’d like to think I’m a bit more than a deer sweetheart.” Despite my drunken state a shiver runs down my spine at that voice. I dare my self to turn around and face him but I just cant.

“What do you want Jeremy?” Brooke snaps. Obviously she is in no mood for this tonight.

“Isn’t it obvious Brooke? I only want what’s mine.” I know he’s smiling even though I refuse to look at him.

“Well first of all she’s not yours.” Sarah pipes up stepping next to Brooke.

 “Second of all, you can’t have her and never will have her.” Brooke is getting fired up now.

“Wrong answer sweetheart.” At this, I turn and find his eyes have gone black, but that smirk is still in place.  Behind him three wolves creep out of the shadows. Brooke and Sarah take a step back in surprise but still try and manage some intimidation.  “There’s that beautiful face. Aren’t you happy to see me love?” he’s looking only at me now. I suddenly feel exposed and dirty.

“She’s not yours Jeremy.” Brooke struggles to keep her cool. She knows it’s going to be a challenge to take on four full grown male werewolves. “I think you should leave.”

“See I don’t think so Brooke. You have something I want. I’m not going to walk away when I’m so close.” He smiles at takes and me a step forward. “Now we can do this the easy way or the hard way Brooke.” He turns to her with cool hard eyes.

“Hey, back off.” Jamie seems to be sobering up a bit and realizing how close he is.

“Alright boys, it looks like they’ve made their decision.” In the next moment, Jeremy nods to the wolves and they make their move. A split second later Brooke Sarah and Jamie are wolves too. I’m frozen in place not entirely sure what to do. Jeremy just walks towards me like he doesn’t have a care in the world. With Brooke Sarah and Jamie all distracted with the other wolves, it just leaves me with him. I hear growling and whimpering and scratching and I smell blood but I can’t seem to tear my eyes away from the threat in front of me to see what’s going on.

“Wh-why are you doing this? What do you want?” I try my best to form coherent sentences and keep my cool, but I know he knows I’m scared. He has the upper hand.

“Shhhh don’t worry baby. Look I always get what I want. And I want you. I’ve always wanted you. And-

Suddenly a load growl rips through the otherwise silent night and a big chocolate brown wolf flies towards Jeremy. Jeremy shifts just in time and the two enter into battle. I shake my head clear of Jeremy’s words and shift into my wolf to go help out the girls. I head to Jamie first seeing as she’s struggling with the brute of an attacker. I nip at his hind legs. Focusing on his joints to cause pain.

Camille you ok?

My brother links me.

Surprise attack near the bar

I tell him.

Ok almost there.

I focus back in on the wolf attacking Jamie and I. He steps back after I get a few good bites in and must sense my brother nearing. Knowing that he’s outnumbered falls back into the shadows.

Thanks. I owe you.

Jamie says through the mind link.

No prob lets go help Sarah and Brooke.

I link back.

I lunge at the wolf attacking Brooke while Jamie goes off to help Sarah. Brooke and I tag team an ugly brown wolf. Issuing as much pain as possible. Suddenly the weight of the wolf is off us. I look over to find that Ryan has his teeth wrapped around the wolf’s neck. After a pitiful struggle the wolf lies limp. Ryan must’ve been out for blood for him attacking his mate. He then circles back over and nudges Brooke in the neck and looks her over, whining, sad that he wasn’t there to protect her earlier. By now Jamie and Sarah have taken care of the other wolf.

I look over at Matt and Jeremy. First Matt’s on top, then Jeremy is. It’s hard to tell who has the upper hand. Then Jeremy hops off and glances around seeing the dead wolf and that the other two have left. He must see that his plan has failed to turns to run. He looks straight at me before he leaves. His eyes say he’ll be back for me. I know next time I might not be so lucky.

……….

“I WANT HIM BANNED FROM THE PACK THIS INSTANT!” Dad roared. “EVERYONE ONE OF THOSE DOGS SHOULD BE EXILD IMMIDIATLY! HOW DARE THEY ATTACK THE APHA’S DAUGHTER AND THEIR FUTURE LUNA!”

“Honey calm down. We’re all very upset but yelling isn’t going to fix anything. I think we all agree something needs to be done about these men but fighting about what happened won’t solve anything.” My mom manages to get dad to sit down and she rubs her arms up and down his in a calming manor.

“I agree. I’m absolutely furious they would attack my mate.” Ryan fumes tightening his hold on Brooke who sat in his lap.

“I second that.” Matt pipes up, slinging an arm around Sarah, bringing her closer to him on the couch. “I don’t want to have to worry about my mate being safe from other pack members.”

“I couldn’t agree more. I’m going to call a meeting with my beta and I want you boys to come with me. Were going to end this.” Dad stands and motions for the guys to follow.

“Honey, in know this may not be what you want to hear right now but I would feel so much better if you were with Austin right now. I know he would protect you with his life. You would be safe there, in fact, much more safe than you are here. You know as soon as he hears what happened he’ll be here in two seconds demanding you come with him.”

“Yeah I hear you. I’m just kind of shaken up. I’ll think about it. But what about the girls?”

“Brooke and Sarah will be just fine. Their mates are here to protect them. As a mother, I would just feel better if Austin was there for you.”

“Ok. I’ll go. But it’s only temporary until dad figures this out. Then I want to come back for a proper goodbye.” I give in. No matter how much I want to prolong my meeting his pack and taking the Luna position, my wolf needs our mate right now. I need my mate. It was time to see him. “But what about Jamie? She’s not mated.”

“Jamie would you want to go to Austin’s pack with Camille? It’s only temporary and it would probably ease her nerves to have a familiar face their.” Mom asks Jamie.

“Sure I would love that! I know Camille has been nervous plus after tonight I want to be anywhere but here. No offense.”

“Non taken.” Mom assures her. “Now you would probably want to pack and let your parents know and everything. How about you both pack tonight and head out early tomorrow?

“Perfect.” Jamie and I tell her.

“Ok, I’ll set up a guard to get you there safely and let George know. Now go get packing!”

……….

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 62.6K 42
"I need to talk to you Elly" "Why?!" "I know that you're my mate" I laughed sarcastically. "What?! Are you trying to make fun of me again like you di...
105K 3.6K 27
"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I questioned trying to get out of Tommy's grip as he pulled me down the stairs. "We're leaving." He respon...
790K 21K 50
I'm falling for the Alpha... ... Book 1 |Highest ranking #1 in werewolf - October 18, 2022| Started : Feb. 28, 2017 Finished: May 9, 2017 I#1 in w...
23.5M 738K 58
[Cover credit: Malot Aznar] "You need to learn to notice when a door is closed. If the door is open, you go through it, and if it's not, you need to...