An Invulnerable Heart | Man o...

By CallmeUnbroken

| Book One | From the moment he was born Clark Kent wasn't just like any other ordinary boy. He was sent to e... More

Prologue
I. A New Beginning
II. Inseparable
III. Two Teenagers
IV. All Grown Up
V. Reunited
VI. Her Hero
VII. Against Everything
VIII. The Last Son of Krypton
IX. Not From Here
X. Forgive Forget
XI. You Are Not Alone
XII. Home
XIV. It Means Hope
XV. Ball & Chain
XVI. Free Fall
XVII. A Vicious Cycle
XVIII. The One
XIX. Haunted Hero

XIII. Leap of Faith

5.5K 158 13
By CallmeUnbroken

Not knowing what decision he has to make, Clark stepped into an empty church. A man was busy cleaning the old church with a radio nearby. The radio was filled with several arguments about the matter but with the conclusion of Clark or Kal-El surrendering himself to General Zod. Of course, the decision was clear to him but Clark couldn't make himself do it. He was still hesitant in his decision. Hoping to reach Eleanor, Clark visited the Daily Planet. 

Her co-workers had told them she didn't arrive at work and that he should check her apartment. Surprisingly, they gave him the address and Clark visited her apartment as well. No sign of her. Without Eleanor's help, Clark didn't know whom to turn too. Eleanor's open mind and comforting spirit always helped Clark in making his decision. Knowing she needed to be saved, not only as apart of the human race but also from herself.

Clark felt adapted to the human race and found them almost like family to him. Despite his differences and struggles in society, Clark knew he couldn't fit in with the rest of them. Therefore instead of being alongside them, Clark would lead them, be a guide and a symbol of hope.

Clark couldn't quite grasp the idea of being the only hope for the human people. He was labeled as a freak and several names that followed those lines. How would a freak lead the human race? How could a freak be the only hope for the people? Will these people even trust a freak -- a man who was not one of them?

**

Young Clark walked slowly behind the long line of classmates before him. His head down and looking at the cold concrete ground. He was forced to be in the back because well no one wanted to be near him.' Why do they even care what we do? We're in 11th grade!' Clark thought bitterly to himself. Soon all the kids disbanded the line and all started to walk with their friends. Clark continued to walk on the same path, glancing at each diverse group of people. 

They were all different in their appearances but they all had something in common – no freaks allowed. Returning to his usual spot, Clark sat by the wired fence with a book in his hand. His father had bought him a book about a boy who had similar situations to Clark. It was interesting to see the different attempts this fictional character would make to fit in with society. "Hey Clark I'm here." A girlish voice chirped. 

"Oh, don't talk to him, he's kind of weird. I don't even remember his name."  Another voice responded back. "Well he's my best friend and I've known him ever since we were kids I'll talk to him if I want to." Eleanor responded. "I wouldn't do that if I were you, you don't know what you're getting yourself into." The popular guy Brett Williams said as he gabbed Eleanor's arm and tightened his grip. 

"That cheer leading outfit makes you look hot. How about you let me see what's under there?" Brett smirked while Eleanor looked at him in disgust. "Let go of me you pig." Eleanor said trying to move her arm. "Come on babe it won't hurt." Brett sneered. "Let me go!" Eleanor exclaimed. Clark stood up and slammed his fists onto the table. "She said let her go!" Clark yelled out loud. Brett and the jocks all turned their heads to Clark.

"I suggest you leave before I run out of patience and knock your perfect teeth out." Clark said. The jocks and Brett ran off before Eleanor wrapped her arms around Clark and hugged him. A couple of tears slipped out of her eyes. "It's okay Eleanor I'm here and I promise I won't let them do anything to you." Clark said holding Eleanor and kissing the top of her head. Clark loved Eleanor and he promised he would protect her no matter what. 

**

"What's on your mind?" Father Leone asked. Clark wasn't much of a church-going guy. He was filled with scientific evidence that sometimes conflicted with religion. But Clark went to the Sunday services with his mother and father and respected their views. Maybe, Father Leone would help him with this tough decision. His father and mother always told Clark to rely on the priest of the church – since they said he was always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone.

"I don't know where to start." Clark said with a small shrug. Should he tell him about his true heritage? That he wasn't from this world – perhaps, his mother and father had told him already. "Wherever you want." Father Leone responded, his voice clear and open. Licking his chapped lips, Clark started with the situation from the other night. "That ship that appeared last night, I'm the one they're looking for."

"Unmoved from his position, Clark didn't see a change from Father Leone. He didn't freak out or scurry over for the phone to call the authorities. Instead, Father Leone remained composed and calm. "Do you know... why they want you?" Honestly, Clark didn't know why General Zod wanted him to surrender himself. He let out a small sigh and responded, "No, but this General Zod... even if I surrender, there's no guarantee he'll keep his word. 

"But if there's a chance I can save Earth by turning myself in, shouldn't I take it?" "What does your gut tell you?" "That Zod can't be trusted. The problem is, I'm not sure the people of Earth can be either." Clark replied. Finally, Clark had finalized his decision and began to walk away. He felt confident and secure on this risky decision. "Sometimes, you have to take a leap of faith. The trust part comes later." Father Leone commented.

Before heading out the door, Clark turned and sent Father Leone a friendly smile for his help. Taking a deep breath, Clark looked out at the world before him and knew this was the day his father had prepared him for. To stand tall and confident in front of the human race and guide them. He was prepared to become their symbol of hope.

**

Trapped in a cold, somewhat dark room, Eleanor clutched the thin sleeves of her jacket. Due to the slightly cold weather at Metropolis, Eleanor chose to wear the thinnest sweater in her closet. If only someone reminded her that the FBI interrogation room wasn't a very warm place, she would have dressed properly for the occasion. Next to her was a worried Julia who continued to pace around their small room. To their surprise Colonel Hardy was apart of this situation. 

Possibly, he could have been the one who ratted them out. After all, Colonel Hardy knew about Eleanor and Julia's article. Julia let out a sudden bang as his fist pounded on the walls of the room. "Calm down." Eleanor said, folding her arms across her chest. She let out a small 'hmph' as Julia continued to bang on the walls. "Let us out! We don't know anything! I swear!" Julia yelled. "Julia! Be quiet! We're going to be okay." Eleanor yelled back.

"You two! Settle down! The FBI would like to speak to each one of you." A man yelled from the intercom in front of them. They were stuck in a small room with two chairs and a table and a viewing glass for Colonel Hardy, Dr. Emil Hamilton, and a newest addition – General Swanwick to see the two. Eleanor felt annoyed and a bit cold from the room. If they really think she would spill about Clark's location, they must be drunk or high, something along those lines.

Could someone possibly turn down the A/C? Seriously, all the heat in her body was started to fade away. And if they want someone to interrogate, they better turn down the A/C fast. Unless they wouldn't mind a frozen Popsicle to interrogate. "Can you guys turn down the A/C? It's so cold in here." Eleanor commented, her tone harsh and bitter.

"Sorry, Ma'am. We don't have an A/C – so, I guess it's naturally cold for you, Kansas Girl." The man spat back. Kansas Girl? How would they know about that? "Are you guys going to interrogate me?" Eleanor whined as she ran her hand through her blonde tangled hair. "I'm kind of getting restless here." "I agree we're not just going to sit around here and wait." Julia said crossing her arms.

Finally, an FBI agent stepped into the room, pulling off his dark sunglasses despite the dim lighting in the room. "Why do you guys always wear those dark sunglasses – no matter how dark it is? Can you see?" Eleanor commented. "Miss Martin, I can perfectly see you sitting there before me. Thank you for the concern, but I'm fine." The man replied back. 

"Agent Swan, from the FBI. I just wanted to ask you a few questions about this Kal-El. Recently, you've heard of our threat from outer space, am I correct?" Eleanor nodded as Agent Swan followed, "I hope you caught at least a glimpse of this man's threat to our race. It has come to our attention that you've encountered an out of this world figure? In the Arctic, perhaps? Colonel Hardy and Dr. Hamilton was present at the time."

Again, Eleanor nodded to his information, tapping her fingers impatiently against the table. "Which comes to my first question, Miss Martin. Do you know where Kal-El's location is?" "Whoa," Eleanor started as she lifted her hand out to stop the incoming questions, "I never said I knew a Kal-El. As far as I know, the man who rescued me was not from this world but he never left me a name, his phone number, his address. So, why are you suddenly assuming I know this Kal-El?"

"Miss Martin, may I remind you that our world is being threatened by an unknown force. Just from your statement, it seems to me that you're implying there's more "aliens" out in our world." "Your call, not mine. Even if I knew, my lips are perfectly sealed." Eleanor created a zip-like motion across her lips along with a loud 'pop' noise. Agent Swan let out a deep exasperated sigh as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"Quite a stubborn one, aren't you? Miss Martin, do you know that our planet has only 24 hours to surrender this figure? So, I suggest that you'll do yourself a favor and tell us where this man is. You'll be a savior to all of us." Agent Swan bitterly asked. Seriously, why won't this guy leave me alone? No matter what, I won't tell him about Clark's location. Besides, Clark seems to be the kind of guy who would naturally turn himself in.

It was in his nature to self-surrender himself for his people. Eleanor remembered how Clark defended her from Brett Williams trying to get at her in school. The story was similar to the situation that was present. Lost in her thoughts, Agent Swan slammed the table before her. "Miss Martin, we have important matters to discuss." Agent Swan resumed his calm position, "How does he look like?" Eleanor smiled beamingly.

"Like a human. A good-looking one actually." "And, what does good-looking embody exactly?" "Look, buddy – I'm not saying anything. Even if you threaten to shoot me, you'll have to rip open my cold, dead brain to find the information you need." "Miss Martin, the lives of these innocent people are at stake here!" Agent Swan roared back. "I bet you ten bucks, the pretty girl likes the alien." One man whispered to another outside of the room.

"You're on. If you lose, I get to take the pretty girl on a date with your ten bucks." The other replied back. From behind, Julia laughed at the conversation. He interrupted the interrogation by turning on the intercom and replying with the men's conversation. Eleanor scoffed and smirked at the two men but a smile slowly crept on afterwards. Julia was now certain; that Eleanor might also have feelings for Clark. Let's keep this professional, boys." Eleanor replied with a slippery tone.

"What kind of show you're running here, General Swanwick?" "Nothing along that matter, Miss Martin. Proceed Agent Swan." General Swanwick replied back. "Sir! There's man outside of the base!" A voice cried from the outside. As soon as the sentence was said, dozens of military officers, equipped with heavy weapons ran out the door. General Swanwick, Colonel Hardy, and Dr. Hamilton followed the men as well as Agent Swan.

Julia took this moment to speak to Eleanor about the previous matter. "Well, wasn't expecting that." Eleanor commented, brushing off the dirt on her pants. "Eleanor, be honest with me. Do you really have feelings for this Clark dude?" "Oh my gosh, not you Julia. No, I do not have any feelings for Clark." Eleanor said with hesitation. She bit her lip, not wanting Julia to suspect her change in tone and lowered confidence.

"Okay fine I do but I doubt he likes me too." Eleanor said. "Don't be so negative you'll see maybe he might feel the same way." Julia said before returning to the empty room outside of her. As soon as he returned, one of the General's men stepped inside the room. "Miss Martin. The uh.. man, Kal-El would like to speak to you." Wait... what? Kal-El? Instantly, she remembered who Kal-El was. Clark's real birth name from his own world. She sat still in her chair, her heart beating rapidly.

I've been right all along. Of course, Clark would turn himself in. I knew he would do it. So he would just come in, in his old clothes and just say, I'm Kal-El, I'm the one you're looking for? Was it that easy for him? Surrounded by equipped army men, a man stood calm and still in the center of the group. Eleanor couldn't recognize for a split second this man for his hair was brushed and slicked back.

While his attire was a skin-tight suit made of a diyerent material along with an 'S' imprinted in his center of his chest. The man turned to face Eleanor, his hands handcuffed to the center as he entered into the room. His familiar blue eyes sent a wave of reassurance to Eleanor along with a small smile. "Nice suit." Eleanor whispered with a pleasing smirk.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 107 11
Nicole Kent was not of this world. No, literally. This was not her world. Her world was ending and she was thrusted through dimensions into a timelin...
207K 5.2K 21
[ COMPLETED // UNEDITED ] Clark Kent was a boy not from this world. However, he was specifically sent here for a reason. To lead and provide hope for...
172K 4.8K 20
ANNOUNCEMENT MARCH 17, 2021 This story, as well as my other Justice League Universe story 'Heroes', is being completely rewritten! First I will rewri...
28.5K 1K 80
Nothing special, it's just that your average nigga end's up dying while following his heart as he protects a woman from rape; you know, the usual BS...