Pride

By authorlindseyowens

When Katelyn's parents wind up dead in a horrible acident, her life changes starting with her siblings moving... More

Chapter 2 - updated
Chapter 3 updated
Chapter 4 - updated
Chapter 5 - updated
Chapter 6 updated
Chapter 7 updated
Chapter 8 updated
Chapter 9 updated
Chapter 10 updated
Chapter 11 updated
Chapter 12 update
Chapter 13 update
Chapter 14 updated
Chapter 15 update
Chapter 16 updated
Chapter 17 updated
Chapter 18 updated
Chapter 19 updated
Chapter 20 updated
Chapter 21 updated
Chapter 22 updated
Chapter 23 updated
Chapter 24 - updated
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 1 - updated

20.9K 240 13
By authorlindseyowens

Chapter 1

"Katelyn," Sasha whined. She had been doing this every day since the beginning of their college life. It was how their life went, go to class, go to the dorm and get hounded by Sasha, go to sleep, and go back to class the next day.

"It's a week day," Kate complained, she had studying to do. "I'm here on scholarship, I need to study."

"You have the best grades in the class Kate. One night out isn't going to hurt anything," Sasha argued. Katelyn has been trying for years to keep her grades pristine, she had cried at times when her grades slipped.

"Yeah, it will. Knowing you, we'll be out all night." Sasha was an eccentric partier, if she wasn't at a party, the girl was lost.

"You need to get laid," Sasha scoffed. Braisen, ballsy.

"Sasha!" Kate screeched. Every male in our co-ed dorm hallway were watching, wide-eyed and grinning like fools. Each smirking as if they would volunteer their services. She was not interested.

"Well, how long has it been Katelyn," Sasha rolled her eyes and popped her hip out with her hand firmly gripping her side. "I haven't seen any guys coming over to our dorm since like you moved here months ago."

"Don't get me started," the brunette snorted, if only Sasha knew how horribly wrong she was. There were reasons Katelyn hadn't indulged in sexual pleasures as Sasha does...

Guys whistled and winked as the two girls passed. "Shut up," Katelyn snapped as her cheeks flushed.

"Kate, I really think you'll like this guy. He's Jon's best friend," Sasha pouted, setting people up was like Sasha's calling in life.

Katelyn had seen Jon many times and she couldn't complain about it. He was a very attractive guy; tall, dark hair, and had beautiful golden liquid honey eyes. He and Sasha had been dating for a while now.

The two girls entered their dorm room finally and Kate sighed in relief; finally free of the hormonal boys staring at her. The warm yellow and pink accented room was the epitome of a girl's dorm. Music posters covered the walls along side pictures of fun nights out with old friends.

"Please," Sasha whined as she bounced on her own full sized bed, messy and covered in clothing from Sasha's morning toss around of the closet.

"Fine," Kate groaned. She flopped back onto her own bed and covered her face in disbelief. Why was she agreeing to such things?! "What time will they be here?"

"After last period, four o'clock," Sasha beamed and bounced up and down. Her twinkling eyes and gleaming cheeks reminded Katelyn of a child eagerly awaiting ice cream.

Kate grabbed her books for her final class, Pediatric Medicine, then shoved them into her teal messenger bag. "Okay," she sighed as she walked out the door. "I'll be here."

Sasha smiled and clapped her hands playfully as she raced to the door. "You'll really like him. I can't wait till you meet him!" Her words traveled down the hall in her singsong tone. Kate simply nodded and waved goodbye as she continued on her way.

Katelyn made it to class with ten minutes to spare. She climbed the steps to her forth row chair and slid in behind the greasy pimple faced nerd who surely would never become a successful children's doctor, probably scaring more away than helping. Kate pulled out her thick shiny and immaculate text book and began to read the next chapter. Professor Patrick, was not in the class yet, repeatedly late due to his overly plump body slowing him down.

"Good afternoon class," Professor Patrick said sadly. "Please excuse me for a few moments; I need to speak with a student privately."

Kate looked up as the professor stopped at her desk, "Hello," she greeted casually. She had nothing to worry about; Mister Patrick and she had never had issues. She was a good student, top of her class and on her way to graduate school.

"Miss Lutz," Professor Patrick said softly as if he was approaching a wounded creature. "Would you please come out in the hall?"

"Ooooo," the students hooted. They acted as if they were back in high school not the college pre-med students they were.

"Everyone settle down and please read chapter forty while you wait," he announced. "Grab your things Katelyn."

Katelyn nodded and did as he asked piling all the things into her arms that she had previously taken out of her bag and dropping them back inside in a lump as she hurried after the teacher. Professor Patrick extended his hand to her offering a hand written note, his face grim.

Nervously, Katelyn took the note and began to read.

Dear Miss Lutz,

Your presence is required immediately in the main office.

Sincerely,

Martha Smith
School social worker

She looked up at the professor, frowning. Hurrying away down the tired cinder block hallway that had recently been painted purple and orange to match the school colors, she really had no idea what to expect. Hammond Hall. The old section of the college had been part of the original structure. It was in desperate need of remodeling and the thick paint barely succeeded. The elevator creaked as she waited for it to go down to the first floor. Shaking to a stop she vowed not to use the beast again. Katelyn continued down the hall until she came to a stop at the main office.

Peering in, she notice two police officers chatting quietly, the college social worker and a few other miscellaneous adults lingering around. "Miss Lutz?" one of the officers asked for confirmation.

"Yes sir," she nodded entering.

"Hello, my name is Officer Rend. Miss Lutz, there has been an accident and we need you to come to the station," he frowned through his professional demeanor.

"Why?" her brows furrowed and she began to fidget nervously. There would only be a few reasons for this, none that would be pleasant.

"Um..." he paused brushing his long fingers against his thigh.

"Dear, there has been an accident and it resulted in the death of your parents," the social worker said quickly interrupted.

No longer could she think straight. Tears began to stream down her face and she began to cry uncontrollably. Of course, they wanted her at the station. She would be the only one able to identify the bodies. There was no other family here. Katelyn had never met her grandparents. She had no aunts, uncles, or cousins, just her younger siblings. This has to be a joke!

Laconically, Katelyn followed the officers through the halls and out into the courtyard where their police cruiser waited. The city lights had yet to turn on under the sun's power, thick garland wove up every other one. When they finally arrived at the station, police Katelyn was escorted into the station by the two officers and to the local morgue attached to the back room.

"That's them," Katelyn whimpered Tears dripping from her blue orbs. "Now can I see my sisters and my brother?" she questioned anxiously stepping out of the view of her dead parents.

"Katelyn, this is Susan. Susan's from the Child Protective Services," Officer Rend began to introduce a woman half Katelyn's height with poufy grey hair.

"No, I can take care of everything. I don't need her help." Kate snapped.

"You're old enough to do as you please, but your siblings..." Susan said calmly.

"I can take care of them myself." Katelyn snarled. She watched as Susan flinched, but she tried to remain firm in her position.

"I am sorry sweetheart. One problem is that you're just too young to care for so many little ones and the other problem is that your parents' last will and testament had specific requested instructions with the children," she said gently. "I have met with the Fenners and have deemed them very suitable to care for your siblings. They are coming in to speak with you and they will be the ones' to settle your parents' estate as well," Susan sighed.

Katelyn nodded. "It's your choice. But I would really like it if you would give the Fenners' a try." Susan looked past Kate and nodded, "for your siblings."

A knock on the door alerted her and Katelyn jumped to her feet. Her senses were are all over the place and her emotions were crazy. The door opened to the small room where she had been waiting, her sisters, Lara and Claire rushed in.

"Thank goodness," Katelyn gasped engulfing them in her arms. She tried to be strong for them, and then she saw Grant saunter in holding their littlest sister, Grace. He was strong but she could see in his eyes the light was dimmed, he wanted to cry.

"Grant," Kate whimpered.

"Be strong," he frowned. She could tell he was near crumbling inside as well.

"An officer will take you home and she has offered to stay with you until the Fenners' arrive from Greensburg tomorrow. I'm sorry, I cannot do it myself," Susan interrupted.

"Thank you," Grant replied, he took Katelyn's hand. Lara and Claire entrapped in each other's arms and Grace on Grant's hip. Together they followed Susan out in into the other room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.7K 3.8K 27
'I'm sorry Kyle. I sent to my mate and closed off his panic that quickly came at my voice and the seemingly goodbye.' *******************************...
631K 14.8K 24
After Lexi's parents die, she's a loner. Her brother isn't there for her like he should be, she has no friends, no one even notices her. Until her fu...
691K 6.7K 15
This is a sample of the story. If you would like to read the whole thing then please look it up on Amazon or check out the link on the last chapter...
3.1M 70.4K 43
To grow up in a world where female shifters are rare, being one is a big deal- and thats why Cassidy hides that she is one from the rest of the pack...