A flame in the Storm

By miraage

Highest rank #16 on 11/12/16 I clutched his leg as he turned to go. "You had me enough times that... More

Prologue
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Epilogue

Chapter 1

3K 108 34
By miraage

9 months before

The sound of a utensil falling woke me up from sleep. Searching for my phone in the darkness of the room, I saw the time, it was 11.50. Mom and dad would be fast asleep by now . Thinking it might be a cat, I dismissed the sound and turned to sleep. I was again awaken by a very loud thud, followed by low murmurs, unable to keep my curiosity under check, I decided to see what was making the sound.

Opening my bedroom door and switching on the flash light of my phone, I went pass my parents room to the kitchen. Not bothering to switch on the hall light, but I should have. When I looked in the kitchen there was no one there. That got me baffled; when I turned around, I got the shock of my life.

"Happy birthday" everyone shouted. I had forgotten about my birthday but my friends and family never did. It is on first January.

There was Farah and Uzma, my best friends from preschool and my parents.

"You people got me scared." I admitted keeping my hand on the chest.

"Well that was the idea," Uzma said hugging me, "Happy birthday dear"

"Hey, it's already 12 come and cut the cake" Farah called, motioning towards my favorite chocolate cake on the table, 16 candles igniting it, in accordance to my age. The room was ambushed with the sound of firecrackers coming from outside, as the celebrations of new year began. 

Mom and Dad came forward and they both embraced me at the same time "Happy birthday to the loveliest daughter in the world" mom said kissing my forehead.

Dad blessed, "may all your wishes be granted this year" wrapping his arms around me.

Everyone cheered and clapped as I passed the knife on the cake and then gave a bite to my mom and followed by dad.

 I turned towards my friends and got smeared with cake on my face by Farha. "Happy birthday dear" she giggled.

"Oh God! Farah" I shrieked.

"Farah, you should have waited till I had a bite" Uzma added

I looked at them from under the heaviness of cake on my eyebrows and they both started having a hearty laugh clicking my pictures all the time.

"I will not leave you," I said running towards Farha with cake smashed in my hands

"Oh god!" she yelled and climbed the sofa. I followed suit and smeared all the cake in my hand on her face.

Uzma was still standing with her back towards the cake, laughing. "Why are you left behind?"My mom said and spread it on her's.

"Aunt" she gasped and my parents joined the mayhem.

After we sobered down and cleaned ourselves. I got my first birthday present. The latest version of  I pad from my parents.

"Thanks mom, Thanks Dad" I said.

"Well we didn't have an idea what you would like. My friend's daughter was asking for this thing to her, so I got this for you too. Hope you like it"

"I love it, Thanks you so much" I said planting a kiss on my mom's cheek and smiling at dad.

"You guys enjoy now but I suggest sleeping early, you have school tomorrow" mom said and they both went back to their room.

"What's the plan?" Farah asked as we entered my room

"First the gifts" she said sitting on her knees before I replied.She opened her bag and brought out a large packet.

"What's this?" I asked. "Open it" she said clasping her hands.

The sight left me mesmerized.

"It's beautiful" I said picking up the dress. It was a floor length pink colored gown, with thick embroidered lace of same color till the waist and full sleeves. It was simple yet classic.

"Thanks! you didn't see this" she said handing me a small cover from the box. She became a child when she got excited and her chubby appearance with shoulder length black hair and milky white skin made her even more adorable.

It was a small bag matching with the dress made from the same embroidery and my name, Maria stitched with white thread on it. 

"I made it"

"You are an artist," I declared, "It's cute. Thank You so much." I said hugging her.

"You like it?"

"I love it".

In excitement of gifts we didn't notice that Uzma had subdued. She was a girl with a  petite body and short height with brown complexion. Her most beautiful feature was her large black orbs which always twinkled. But now the light in them look dulled.

"Hey, what happened?" I asked noticing her.

"Nothing, just looking at your gift" she said in a low tone.

"Where's yours?" Farah asked." What have you brought?"

Uzma hesitated and  shifted at her place showing discomfort.

"Hey, it's okay if you didn't get me anything." I assured her

"I did" 

"Then give it to her, Take it out" Farah encouraged.

"It's not as good as yours"

"It's okay a gift is a gift. I am dying to see it". I said

"Okay" Uzma replied and took out a small box wrapped in a beautiful pink cover. I snatched it from her as she hesitated to give.

She looked away, as I opened the gift.

"Oh my god Uzma, really!" I shouted.

She had written a complete book on me. There were pictures from our kinder garden, photos of picnics and our birthdays, snippets of our conversations and drawings depicting our teachers.

"It is simply marvelous and adorable and tremendous" I blabbered. "Thank you so much" I said embracing her.

"I am here too" Farah pouted, smiling we dragged her in and made it a group hug.

"Thanks, I thought you wouldn't like it" Uzma said moving away from the hug.

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked confused.

"It isn't expensive or something useful"

"You are a fool" I said hitting her head with it. "This is the most beautiful gift I have ever received. You always downplay yourself".

She just looked away. Uzma had always been sensitive about being unable to spend as much as we did. Her father had a low earning job of a clerk and her mother, a housewife. She always dreamed of studying hard and helping her parents.

"So can we do something now?" Farah asked.

"What?" 

"Movie?"

"No"

"Truth and Dare?"

"Nope. We already know everything about each other and there is nothing we could dare about right now" I said

"Well we can always dare you to dance" she said. "Its your birthday and also New year. We have to celebrate".

"It's never going to happen" I said moving further back on the bed.

"Oh come on, let's party" she said and dragged me out of it.

"Okay fine but I am not doing it alone" I said, "Uzma should join me".

"Yes, she will" Farha said dragging Uzma.

When she played the Gangam style, I tried to make some moves and failed. I was a pathetic dancer while Farah was a natural. Uzma was in kind of a middle not so good, not so bad.

We were exhausted after few hours and laid on bed together.

"Hey do you know?" Farah murmured half asleep

"What?" 

"Our mathematics teacher resigned".

"Why?"

"Don't know" 

"Then who will be teaching us Mathematics?" I asked

"There's a new teacher and he is joining tomorrow".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 182 23
I love you. You love me. I hate you, you love me. I love you till the end of the universe, Your love does not end at the end of the universe. we figh...
6.2K 550 36
Maan Malhotra ~ "I'm so deeply lost in my soul; how can I expect anyone else to understand me?" "A handsome and powerful CEO, he changes partners as...
478K 19.8K 89
"You?" She yells. "You feisty cat, look what have you done? You have teeth or cutters?" "And what the hell did you just do? You scared the hell out...
57K 2.5K 36
#1 in wattpad hits........... Arjun Singh a richest business man whose first priority is his family...... His life always starts only with his brothe...