A Touch of Magic

By Sarel303

"Usually innocents like you have time to grow into their magic before they have to break the rules. You don't... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Dead
Chapter 2: Weird Science
Chapter 3: Charmed, I'm Sure
Chapter 4: Epiphany
Chapter 5: Magical Me
Chapter 6: Wood Yew?
Chapter 7: Snow Day
Chapter 8: Hocus-Pocus
Chapter 9: Ætberan
Chapter 10: The Araminta Legacy
Chapter 11: What Now?
Chapter 12: Other People's Hair and Hellishness
Chapter 13: Some of the Whole Truth
Chapter 14: Hunters and Hunting
Chapter 15: The End of the Beginning
Chapter 16: Edgar
Chapter 17: The Shopping Trolley Assassination
Chapter 18: Christmas
Chapter 19: New Years Resolutions
Chapter 20 - All's Fair
Chapter 21: In Love and War
Chapter 22: Spelling Mistakes (part 1)
Chapter 22: Spelling Mistakes (part 2)
Chapter 23: Witch Way Now? (part 1)
Chapter 23: Witch Way Now? (part 2)
Chapter 24: Deep Breath
Chapter 25: Holding My Breath
Chapter 26: Exhale
Chapter 27: Major Improvements
Chapter 28: Watching Out
Chapter 30: What's Mine is Yours, Actually.
Chapter 31: Let Me In
Chapter 32: The Uninvited
Chapter 33: Broken Rules
Epilogue part 1: Ostara
Epilogue Part 2: As Day Overcomes Night

Chapter 29: Valentine

1.3K 154 36
By Sarel303

The journey seemed to take ages even with my shrewd traffic light changing, which fulfilled a life's ambition and was the best fun I'd had for years. Josie sat in the passenger seat, eyes closed. I hoped Zara, Pete and George had done what they could to stall things back at the Charmers Mansion. 

It'd be a long time before I could co-ordinate an operation like this on my own. Where would I've started without my friends?

"At the beginning, Araminta. Always start at the beginning," said Edgar, out loud. 

I gasped. "I forgot you could do that."

"What?" Josie looked at me.

I shrugged, revelling in the connection between Edgar and me. "He can read my mind." I caught his eyes glancing at me playfully. "But it's okay. I love it."

Edgar half smiled and I finally understood the purpose of the rear-view mirror.

And we'd arrived.

Edgar was the only one composed as we entered the building. The grandeur of the manor was always overwhelming, the classical Greek symmetry in the columns, the white and cream cleanness in the fabric, the history in every piece of furniture. Josie quivered as the door swung closed behind us.

"I can't do this," she sighed.

Edgar placed a hand on her shoulder. "Yes, you can."

Josie squeezed her eyes closed for a moment then nodded. "I can, but try." She turned and looked at us, with an understanding that frightened me a little. "Thank you both, for everything."

A massive clap echoed out from down the corridor. Suddenly, George stood in front of us immaculately dressed and smelling of exotic spices.

My heart didn't skip a beat. I smiled in relief. "Have we missed much?"

George made a show of shaking Edgar's hand and hugging me. I could almost hear Josie's heart beating. She wanted him, magic or not.

His lips brushed the side of my face in a swift kiss, and he whispered in my ear whilst surreptitiously placing something cold and metallic in my hands. "You found these outside when you arrived. Your Mum's here, she had to bring the spare."

Keys and a fob; they would be Tracey's or Shelly's because... Shelly's presentation would've been in the boot! "Well done George." I smiled.

"Additionally, we're running late. Something went wrong with the amplifier. Luckily, Pete seemed to know what was going on, and we're back up and running." He looked around; and called over two smartly dressed men. "Frank, Gavin, can you help Miss Roberts. This is the lady who had to visit a sick relative. Can you help her prepare. Miss Hardwick and... friend will need seats." He smiled as he left.

Smooth. George was made for organising. Nepotism aside, he was ready for his role in the company.

We were ushered in two separate directions. I remembered the dress code only when I gave my coat to a disapproving Gavin. "Um. I'll stand at the back and go after I've seen my cousin present," I told him, red faced.

Gavin glanced at the lady already taking my coat. She shrugged, whilst he wrestled with the regulations verses George's orders.

"No one will notice." Edgar soothed the steward's worry.

"That would be acceptable," Gavin said colourlessly.

Edgar had no such problem with his attire. I managed to stop myself from saying 'OMG' by breathing in sharply. If the suit wasn't so modern, Edgar could've played the hero in a period drama; my Mr Darcy, or Rochester. Everything was perfect and he offered his arm as if I was perfect too.

Shyly, I took it. "You look amazing," I said hoarsely.

"So do you," Ed smiled down at me.

I shook my head. "You're a rat. I couldn't be more out of it if I'd turned up in fancy dress."

"It works for me."

My fingers squeezed his arm as we swept into the ballroom. The male student presenting was answering questions and the audience were disgracefully using the time to pop out to the bar. It didn't feel like much of an intrusion as we stealthily claimed a place by the side. I glanced around the perfectly positioned chairs. Mum and Tracey sat excitedly at the front next to... Zara and Pete, who had ignored me and displaced some poor parents, Councillor Charmers and two women dressed in suits were front row centre; the judges, I guessed. Tammy and Marie, who had a brother and sister in the Sixth form College, sat together giggling at the back. There were others in my year dotted about the room, girls I'd hung around with throughout school; guys I'd loosely call friends. Standing here, away from the lights shining over centre of the room, it suddenly seemed so long ago. I felt a lifetime apart from my friends, not just a few chairs away in the wings.

I shivered as Ed's soft breath sang on my ear. "You've chosen a life in the wings, do you realise that?" A large gentleman took his whisky glass for a walk, and I leant back, pressing against Edgar's body.

I relished the feeling for a moment before I spoke. "I know. It's not everything I want, but I do want it." I hoped he understood the meaning. I shifted my head to look behind me, wanting to see the expression on his face.

But, I noticed Josie to the left of the low platform getting ready first, and to the right, "Shelly." I'd no doubt Shelly should have a chance to present, fairly. But it made me nervous.

As the clapping subsided for the previous presenter, Shelly was standing, centre stage, ready to begin and commanding silence with her porcelain beauty.

"We," she let the one word sink in, "are the privileged."

From where I stood, there was no way I could've heard Josie gasp, but I felt it. In the pit of my stomach, her distress made me queasy. Shelly had spoken Josie's words and the first picture on the projector screen was one I'd seen before. It was one I'd found on google, for Josie.

I held out my hands and screamed. "Stop, this now!"

Shelly stopped instantly.

"Araminta..." Edgar's voice was steady. "You've frozen the whole room."

I was already moving towards the stage. "I'm sorry Ed. I've got to interfere again."

Edgar made his way towards the doors, but shut them way before he reached them with a wave of his hand. "Araminta, You know the rest of the world continues don't you? You've about a minute before someone steps inside."

"I didn't mean to use magic. I just wanted to shout out that Shelly's presentation was stolen." I leapt on the platform and bent over the laptop. "But this is good. Shelly can expose herself, now."

"Come on." Ed appeared on the stage next to me. "There are people are moving this way."

"Yeah, yeah. I need to figure out what I want to do." Panic crept over me. I had an audience, even if they were all immobile and I didn't know how long that would last either. My fingers hovered over the keyboard. "What do I want to do?"

"Shh. Don't worry. You don't always have to make a spell. Just command."

I nodded, a little calmer. "Ok." I whispered and stared at the screen. "Bring me what belongs to Josie, words and image, picture, data. Ætberan."

The computer flickered for a split second and the screen behind me went blank. But it wasn't enough. I walked to Shelly and put my hand on her forehead. "Your words for today, you say; send what was gained by cheating, away. Ætberan."

Edgar grabbed my hand and pulled me close. We were back at the side of the stage before the heavy door conspicuously opened at the back of the room. Edgar waved his hand across the floor and awoke the spectators, as the two stewards, carrying Josie's newly backed boards, entered.

The room coughed and rumbled. Shelly had stalled and the projected photograph - too briefly displayed to be remembered, was gone.

Shelly sniffed and sipped from the glass of water by the laptop. "It appears my PowerPoint has, um... changed a bit." She refused to be flustered, something I reluctantly admired. However, a curt look at Josie was followed by a daggered glance at her Aunt Tracey.

I closed my eyes. 'Come on Shelly, say what you know. Give us your story'.

"I can't remember. Umm... anything," she spat. Realisation dawned on me. Shelly had spent so much time sabotaging Josie she hadn't actually planned anything of her own.

Shelly's audacity was a gift that kept giving. "Josie I believe you've a copy of my presentation, oh look you have my pictures on a poster board, thank you, darling."

I lifted my hand, but Edgar pushed it down. "Faith."

George bounded onto the stage. "This has gone far enough," he said just loudly enough for to make the first few rows sit up as Edgar and I to hear.

Tracey sat mortified. Josie clutched her cue cards with whitened knuckles. All eyes were on George.

"If your presentation is corrupt, on the computer I mean, perhaps you'll consider re-submitting next year. I'm sure the panel will be more than happy to give you a second chance." He nodded towards his father who nodded back.

Shelly, flushed, angry and with no sign of guilt, snapped the lid closed on her laptop and snatched it up.

I hadn't accidently frozen the audience, but no one moved. Shelly's heels clicked as she walked off the stage.

Josie's eyes didn't leave George's face. Any appreciation for me was lost in the depths of gratitude towards her new hero. He tapped her on the shoulder as he passed and she managed to gather her wits and move gracefully onto the stage.

She smiled and began without hesitation. "We are the privileged. In this room we rest on comfortable seats drinking fine wine and eating the last of the entrées."

The crowd murmured approvingly. Josie had them eating entrées out of her hand within the first minute of her presentation.

The light was too harsh. I softened it and darkened the bulbs just enough to create the atmosphere Josie would've wanted if she'd thought about it.

One slide switched to the next. Human rights and wrongs were examined. Tears welled in eyes. Silence hung in the room as Josie informed the audience how easy it was to make change, to be the change, to think globally and act locally.

"How we live, what we buy, what we sell and how we think, can make a difference. Industry will listen when we are strong and as one. Acting locally can provide others with the tools they need for survival. You can be the catalyst for change. It's your choice. Thank you."

A standing ovation quickly followed applause. I blew Josie a kiss, as she looked my way wearing a sunbeam smile. She mouthed 'thank you' voicelessly. I laughed at my own stupid jealousy. I shouldn't care if George took some credit for Josie's success, but I couldn't help being glad he didn't take it all. I was only human after all.

Without warning, a familiar fiery sensation stole over my spiral burn. This time it hurt. "I haven't felt this for ages Ed." I looked up appealing for an explanation.

Edgar looked back puzzled. His eyes squinted closed for a second and then opened, he was on longer confused, but sorrowful. "Gladys wants to see you. She's outside."

I felt the same numb fear as when Gam was about to die as we dashed through the wintery garden once again. In spite of the snow out the front, here a thick fog hung low over the grass. It reminded me of Gam's funeral.

Edgar didn't follow me all the way. I felt him stop somewhere over the lawn as I bounded on.

She stood under a pagoda laced with fairy lights, her velvet skirt flapping in the breeze. Elsie sat behind, preening her feathers whilst guarding her mistress. I expected some sort of urgent expression across Gladys face; instead, Gladys appeared at peace as she welcomed me with outstretched arms. In my heart, I knew this was the last time I'd see her.

*************

Still a few chapters to go! Not tied up yet. Let me know what you think with a magic star or a comment. x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.4K 1K 46
The events that happened with Jackson and Gerard had gone, and everything worked out as planned. Scott and his friends could now live a normal mortal...
5.7K 2.9K 27
"Why are we like this?" "This is what our destiny wanted." "No this is all what YOU wanted," I said quite harshly and then definitely regretted and a...
264K 10.1K 37
This whole story is dedicated to @nicole565. Without her influence and her amazing writing I would have never had the courage to attempt this story...
17.2K 2.1K 56
*Wattys Shortlisted!* A witch. A hunter. And a curse. ~*~ Theiden Guster hadn't intended to abandon his family. But after trying to kill the witc...