Welcome to Zootopia! (One Sho...

By talle2014

Zootopia A heaven like city that big dreamers go. Like Judy Hopps! It's also a place where... Well, has the m... More

(1) Another Day another Way
(2) Meeting More Than One Bunny
(3) Knock It Down
(4) Claw-strophobic
(5) Carrot
(6) Au Naturel
(7) The "it"
(8) Purple
(9) Midnight Meal
(10) Partners
(11) Nick-Namer
(12) Teeny Weeny
(13) It's Called a Hustle Sweetheart
(15) Savage for Nothing
(16) Restored
(17) Just Like Me
(18) Inner Primitivity
(19) Bonnie, Stu and a Fox
A/N

(14) Key Trustee

517 23 7
By talle2014

3rd person P.O.V

Oh Nick hated it.

It itched, it beeped, it lit up. It was bothersome. He never like the collar and found it did nothing to save Zootopia.

All predators wore it. The law defined them "capable of savageness" since the age of ten.

And that's how it's been.

Zootopia wasn't the colourful happy go lucky city it used to be. Everywhere was fear.

The collars were to signal the ZPD when an animal went savage and knock them out.

Nick wanted to know how the collar knew when to do its job. He could never take his off.

Not until the case of the savage animals was closed. And let's face it, he didn't think his partner Judy could do anything.

She didn't know how he felt, she didn't where a collar because prey didn't go savage.

And that's probably what made him grow distant. The collars were more of a warning than anything.

They clearly screamed "Don't come towards me, we have this collar cause we could attack you!" It wasn't fair.

Almost every animal in the ZPD had a collar. They all looked the same, the all made the same noise and they all looked uninviting.

They all knew that the collars could come off. But the thing with police officers is that they believed they were doing the right task, all but Nick.

They thought it was helping the city but Nick knew that if they turned their heads towards the prey for once, they were all wrong.

No predator at ZPD had become close to a prey anyways. They were either working solo or working with the same class.

Nick and Judy seemed to be the only exception.

And because of this, Chief Bogo found a special tolerance for the bunny. You may not think that as much but it was.

She was the only one in the entire city that had a key to the room next door.

Of course she could easily be over powered and someone could steal the key except the key wasn't a key, it was a passcode.

And she only knew it. Because beyond that door was rows upon rows of small card like chips.

Each one was assigned to a predator in the city. And because she had access to them all, she was the only one allowed to use them.

Now if Nick wasn't angry before, he definitely was now. Because you see, in each collar was a small slit, easily able to fit a piece of paper in it.

That was the release lock. And the keys Judy had access to- they were the release keys.

All she had to do was find the key and insert it into the slit and the collar would unclip itself from its victim.

And Nick hated yet loved that the most. The fact that he was always consistently one metre away from his key gave him hope, perhaps Judy would hand his over?

But it also depressed him, Judy wasn't one to play with the law, even if it meant her own friend. She just couldn't bring herself to do it. Work always came before friends and family to her.

It hurt Nick who she considered a friend. Of course work was important but hadn't Judy believed he was a harmless fox?

It was after work that got Nick on his final straw. They were making their way to the bus stop when Nick tried for what seemed like the hundredth time to Judy, to release the collar.

"I beg you Carrots." He said, "release this collar, I can't bear it anymore!" He pouted.

"I can't Nick, the law-" Nick cut her off before she could complete the "everyone relies on me speech".

"Who cares about the law? Do you not care about me? Your best friend?" Nick felt his heart break into two when she hesitated. "I knew it, you still think us predators are all dangerous." Judy's eyes widened.

"What?! No! That's not what I meant!" She exclaimed.

"Save it Judy." Nick's harsh tone stabbed Judy in the heart. "And to think I loved you... But of course that wouldn't work, for one i'm predator, your prey and two- your still scared of me!" Nick's words didn't register in his mind.

He didn't realise what he said until he was well across the street, leaving Judy behind. Did he care about his confession that was bottled up? No. Why should he still love her? She couldn't even let him free.

Judy just stared after his long gone presence. He loved her. Judy couldn't believe such a thing. But the rest of his hurtful words entered her head.

He was angry at her. If anything was worse than being yelled at by your friend who just confessed, she didn't know what it would be.

She felt horrible. She always stood next to Nick like a bully. He knew she had the key to the collar and she walked around as if it were nothing important.

She had subconsciously made fun of him where ever they went. Every time Nick saw her, he would hope she would help him, but the thing was, Judy didn't.

That night in her bed, many thoughts flooded her brain. She wanted to help Nick, she didn't want his feelings to go to waste, she wanted to return them.

But she knew it would risk her job and a life in prison if she did. But what was more important?

That question even managed to squeeze into her dreams, she couldn't stop wondering about what to do.

And finally in the morning, she had a plan. It wasn't effective but knew it was for the best.

She picked up her phone and dialled for her parents. "Hello Judy! It's so lovely of you to call!" Her mom answered.

"Mom, I think I ruined everything between Nick and I." Judy groaned. Of course her parents were familiar with Nick. They didn't seem to mind him the slightest, much to Judy's relief.

"Well why don't you bring him over here? It's a lot more peaceful than the city with all that noise blocking your thoughts, maybe you can sort it out?" She suggested.

Judy's eyes lit up. "That, actually sounds like a great idea! When came we drop over?" Her mother laughed.

"Anytime."

"How about this afternoon?" She insisted.

"Sure thing! Gideon will be bringing pie's over to!" She said.

"Perfect! Thanks Mom!"

"Anytime Judy! See you later!" She replied.

"Bye!" The phone call ended with a click.

Quickly, Judy dressed for work and rushed to the ZPD. She spotted Nick enter and smiled at him, only to frown when he glared at her and walked past.

Her ears drooped as she continued her way to roll call. Nick didn't even try to hide his grudge.

He sat the furthest away as possible on the seat they shared and didn't bother to speak to Judy the entire time they shared their office.

Judy took a couple of shaky breaths before heading out. "Where are you going?" Nick spat. Judy jumped in surprise.

"Well hello to you to." She said. "I'm just going to get supplies for my trip home, I'm going to the Bunny Burrows and I think you should visit with me."

Nick rolled his eyes. "No chance rabbit." He returned to his work which he was unusually focused on. Judy averted her gaze.

"Well, I REALLY think you should come with me, even if you hate me." Nick held a paw up to block her from his view.

Judy sighed and exited the office, entering the one next to her.

Nick still felt hurt, the stupid collar felt like it was strangling him and worse yet, the key wasn't to far.

But this, this entire scheme was already to far, he stood up, marched out of the room and headed straight to the Chief.

If he couldn't be free here, he'd leave. He unpinned the badge on his uniform and tossed it to Bogo.

"I resign." He spat, turning on heel and leaving a flustered Bogo behind.

Nick was so certain he's run away and break the collar off that he didn't even notice a bewildered Judy pass him out the door.

It was when she entered Bogo's office that she learnt he resigned much to her displeasure.

On the way out the building, Nick was grabbed harshly by the paw. "Oh, it's you." He said flatly.

"You resigned?!" Judy gasped. Nick rolled his eyes for the billionth time that day.

"Yeah, you got a problem with that?" He expected her to say yes and give reasons as to why he should stay so it came as a surprise when she said "no".

"Just, please come with me to the Bunny Burrows, it will be worth your time." Judy pleaded.

Nick turned away. "And the reason I'd do that is because?" Judy hesitated.

"Because I still care about you..." Nick turned to face her.

"I'll go but only for the blueberries." Judy didn't seem to care if he was still mad at her or not, the fact was, her grand plan could be put into action!

Nick still didn't say anything to Judy on the train ride there. He didn't even notice the little police badge she cared for the most.

If he looked, he would find her silently crying and the rough decisions she had been through.

But the tears were long gone by the time the train pulled up in Bunny Burrows.

Bonnie and Stew greeted the two and pretend not to notice the awkward air between the supposedly friends.

The two of them were left to help Gideon unload the pies he had brought when Nick noticed something.

"You don't have a collar." He stated. Gideon looked at Nick.

"And you ain't got a badge?" He said.

"I resigned... But why don't you wear a collar?" Nick interrogated.

"Because I live out here and there ain't as big a population like Zootopia, laws change in different areas, you should know that Mr Nick." Gideon stated.

Nick stared at Judy wide eyed. "We have to go back." Judy frowned.

"And why is that?" She asked.

"Because if I claim I moved here, I can get this stupid device taken off!" Judy's eyes widened.

"I... I can't release you Nick, it's not in my authority anymore..." Judy sighed.

Gideon carried some more pies into the house to leave them to have privacy. "I'll be inside!" He called.

"What do you mean?!" Nick fretted. Judy pointed to her police uniform that now matched Nick's

The badge was gone.

"I resigned to." Nick's world came crashing down. His last hope was gone, no one in the ZPD would trust him enough to let him free.

"You RESIGNED?!" Nick yelled. Judy opened her mouth to speak.

"I'm sorry! I just... Wanted to stay here and-"

"And you didn't think once about me? Course not." Nick fumed, rushing past a flustered Gideon who bid goodbye to Judy.

"Nick wait!" She chased him inside and followed him until he entered the guest bedroom. Judy followed after before he slammed it shut.

"Get out Judy!" He yelled.

"Nick-"

"LEAVE!" He roared, causing Judy to jump back. He had never yelled like this before. It was so new it frightened her.

Yet she still lunged herself forward and wrapped her arms around his neck. Nick froze.

Why was she hugging him? He soon felt two wet tear stains form on his uniform as Judy's sobs became more audible.

"Please forgive me Nick." She whimpered, Nick kept a stern face. "I'm so sorry, I was selfish, I was tormenting you in the most brutal way possible."

Nick wasn't in the mood for apologies, he was still so angry that he didn't notice Judy pull something from her pocket and insert it into the small slit in the collar.

"Please Nick... I love you to." Nick forced the hug apart, stressed and annoyed at her outburst. He didn't notice the collar in her paw until he heard the sound of the collar being deactivated.

His eyes widened as the crying bunny threw the collar on the ground, breaking it in the process.

After they both stared at he device for a while, they looked up and their eyes met.

"Friends come before work, I stole the key before resigning earlier today. Please forgive me." She said.

Nick was dumbfounded. Judy quit her dream job so she could help him. She was going to be a carrot farmer- the very thing he knew she despised. It was all for him.

"Carrots." Just hearing her silly nickname made her smile. She wiped her tears and hugged Nick once more.

Judy felt even more happy when Nick returned the warm embrace. "Thank you Carrots, I have no idea what to say." Nice exclaimed.

Wet splatters hit her head when she realises Nick was crying. "It's okay Nick, I'm sorry for before." She mumbled.

"I-I can't believe you did this! I'm free Carrots...thank you." Nick cried some more.

Judy gave a warm smile. "I love you to." She said. Nick laughed.

"I love you." He responded as Judy pet his back. Tears stained her work uniform as they landed but Judy didn't care.

Nick was far more important than the ZPD. She could trust him, he wouldn't go savage. If anything, she knew him best.

And as Nick's happy tears grew bigger, Judy smiled a warm smile. "You foxes are so emotional." She giggled.

Nick laughed lightly, tightening the hug. "Yes, yes we are."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

126K 3.4K 30
Judy Hopps is loving her life as a police officer and things couldn't be better with her newfound partner Nick Wilde! But things take different turns...
1K 72 26
In the world of Zootopia, where predator and prey live in harmony, Judy Hopps and Nick Wilde are partner cops in Precinct 1 of the ZPD. Though Nick i...
448K 12.8K 73
[BOOK 2 NOW INCLUDED] Nick Wilde is hopelessly in love with the magnificent Judy Hopps, and wants to claim her as his own. But it's not easy to be th...
719 24 6
"So, what's your purpose for coming over to Miami?" Jervis asked Judy. "Actually, we have a robbery case. There are some racers involved in this, and...