Assassin's Creed: Chronos (Ez...

By TMWolf

(note: Story cover has been updated May 2023 :) New chapter covers will be added slowly too) Catherine Wolfe... More

Prologue
Act I - 01 The Call
02 - Many Meetings I
03 - Many Meetings II
04 - Florence Tarantella
05 - Name of the Game
06 - Disparate Youth
07 - A Small Measure of Peace
08 - Talk
09 - Little Wonders
10 - Home In Florence
11 - Death and All His Friends
12 - The Days We Care About
13 - Blinding
Act II - 14 Bravado
15 - Twisted Logic
16 - Fix You
17 - Dog Days Are Over
18 - This Too Shall Pass
19 - Big Girls Don't Cry
20 - Home
21 - We Build Then We Break
22 - Tomorrow Will Be Kinder
23 - The Middle
24 - A Life So Changed
25 - The Hardest Part
26 - Secrets
27 - Mother & Father
28 - Ends of the Earth
29 - Iron
30 - Southern Sun
31 - One Week
32 - I Will Be There
33 - Waiting Game
34 - Heads Will Roll
35 - Flightless Bird, American Mouth
36 - All Summer Long
37 - The Preacher
38 - The Take Over, The Breaks Over
39 - Hopeless Wanderer
40 - All the Small Things
41 - Another One Bites the Dust
42 - The Beginning is the End is the Beginning
43 - Better Days I
44 - Better Days II
46 - Warm Water
47 - All You Never Say
47 - A Message
49 - Four Walls
50 - Weights & Measure
51 - Bless the Broken Road
52 - Bless the Broken Road II
53 - Bless the Broken Road III
Act III - 54 How Far We've Come
55 - The King And All of His Men
56 - Shadowplay I
57 - Shadowplay II
58 - Ain't No Rest For the Wicked
59 - Young Blood I
60 - Young Blood II
61 - Young Blood III
62 - The Sun's Gone Dim and the Sky's Turned Black
63 - Headlong Into the Abyss
64 - The Ruler, The Killer
65 - The Hours
66 - Epilogue -o- Nascence
Sequel

45 - Chase of the Highway

1.7K 63 11
By TMWolf

March 2, 1481

Florence, Italy

The air was a little cool, but the sun helped keep the two assassins warm as they ventured through the city, hoods up, although not for any real caution. The city was safe and they were no longer wanted with the enemy blight rid of entirely. It was more so out of habit, and just in case—despite their safety, one could never be too careful and show their face. They moved freely, though, and were able to enjoy a small detour through the grandiose city, which was bustling with life. They visited the Auditore's Palazzo, which looked better than it had before, though still remained empty. None had come to occupy it, and perhaps it was better that way. From there they ventured through various shops and monuments, but didn't dally too long; they had a meeting with Lorenzo de Medici, after all.

"Here," Ezio hummed aloud as they turned down an alleyway that brought them before a palatial mansion befitting the ruler of a city such as Firenze. She had seen it a few times before already, but she was always awed by its structure and design. She especially loved the gardens in the back, which was to where they made their way. A tall fence surrounded it, with a small archway serving as a door. A pair of guards blocked it, and barred their path with narrowed eyes.

"This is not open to the public. Leave," the man grunted, puffing his chest out slightly. Catherine noted he gave her an odd look, and did not doubt his suspicion was growing.

"We are here to speak with Lord Medici. Ezio Auditore and Catherine Wolfe—tell him; he will know," Ezio smiled pleasantly, with just a touch of humor. The guard made a face as he hesitated, but then ventured into the vernal garden. His partner kept a close eye on them, no doubt wondering what business two people like them could have with their leader. Unfortunately for the two, that was not theirs to know.

The guard returned moments later and motioned them in, "Very well. Lord Medici awaits you."

"Thank-you," the redhead smiled, bowing her head slightly, and slipped in through the gate. Ezio followed right behind, and they spotted the older man instantly near the garden fountain. He spoke with a nobleman, but as soon as he spotted him, he bade the man good-bye. His guest ventured inside while the humble leader greeted them with open arms.

"Welcome, welcome... I trust you are both faring well? You look as much," he smiled, and the two of them chuckled.

"Well, we have finally finished things up, so... yes. We're been doing very well," Catherine grinned, setting her hands on her hips. The man's eyes widened slightly, and his smile did the same.

"So, it is done then? All of it?"

Ezio nodded, "Yes. All the Pazzi and their allies are dead. All of them."

Lorenzo nodded, though his head fell, "I must admit... I have never before believed I could desire the death of others so badly."

"Nor I," Ezio rumbled, looking down as well. Briefly, Catherine nudged him with her elbow as a show of comfort, and he gave her a small smile in return. Lorenzo did his part as well, reaching out to grasp the young man's shoulder warmly, and passed his gaze between them both.

"Ezio. Catherine... thank-you for the role you have played in keeping this dream of mine alive a little longer."

"It has been our honor, my Lord," the young man replied with a bow, which Catherine quickly followed.

"What will you both do now?" the ruler inquired.

Catherine frowned slightly, "We leave for Venezia."

"What? You do not mean—!"

"Sadly, yes—the Templars who escaped us have plans for the city. We can only assume they've already begun their plans, and it's time for us to head there," the redhead went on, eyes narrowing.

"Not beautiful Venezia... you cannot let it fall into their hands!" the man rasped, gaze turning away as he no doubt imagined the chaos it would cause. He turned back, his gaze firm again. "You must not waste a moment."

"And we do not intend to. We only wished to let you know Firenze and Toscana are now safe," Ezio replied.

"And you have my deepest gratitude. I only wish I could be of aid in Venezia, but my power does not reach there."

"It's alright. All we need of you is to keep Firenze safe and the Templars out."

"That I can and will do. I will not allow the tragedy they brought happen again—no more brothers and fathers shall be lost to them," Lorenzo told him, grasping the young man's shoulder warmly yet again, this time out of comfort. Ezio returned it in kind with a gentle squeeze.

"We will make sure Venezia stays safe, too. We promise you that," Catherine added as they parted.

"Then go—and may fortune favor your blades."

Once again the both of them bowed their heads, and then they turned and departed. Again the guards gave them odd looks, but the two paid little mind as they ventured back into the streets, blending into the crowds, and becoming practically invisible.

"So... we need to head through the Apennine Mountains, right? That's the fastest way?" the redhead inquired as they walked, venturing through alleyways.

Ezio nodded, "Yes. It will take us a few days, but we'll reach Forlì soon enough. From there we'll need to sail to Venezia. It should only take a week at most, depending on the weather and crew."

"Well, that's good... although it will suck being gone from home so long. We can't just come back so easily now," the redhead hummed with a small frown.

"Sadly, no. We will have to plan accordingly... find some place to make our base of operations. We thankfully have plenty of money to work with, and if we are able to do missions like before... well, the people tend to be charitable."

Catherine chuckled, "That's true, although sometimes I feel bad asking for florins as a reward."

"Hey, we deserve some reward," he chuckled right back. "Anyways, come on; we should hurry and head out to cover as much ground as possible."

"Thankfully it's early... oh! Oh, but wait—we should stop to see Leo. We didn't write to him, and I'd love to get to say good-bye. C'mon, I know you would, too," the redhead spoke quickly, grasping his sleeve and tugging on it with a hopeful look. He glanced over at her and smiled before he laughed lightly, nudging her hand off.

"Alright, alright. You got me. I do want to say farewell, too."

"Uh-huh. Ugh, I'm gunna feel bad telling him we're leaving, though," she pouted slightly, earning a gently nudge from the young man.

"It will be alright. He understands."

"Oh, I know he does; I mean, he doesn't even press for more details than we give so he can stay safe, but still... Leo's our good friend. It's like how we're leaving everyone back home for a while."

Ezio sighed softly, "Don't remind me... but it's for the greater good—to protect them."

"Yeah, so it's worth it, and we'll be able to come back at some point," she mused, to which the young man nodded.

"Indeed... and looks like we're here," Ezio pointed out, gesturing to the familiar building that was Leonardo's workshop. Catherine brightened up at once and trotted a little faster over—much to her companion's bemusement—and rapped loudly on the door before trying to open. It was locked, and she frowned at once. The artist rarely, if ever, left his shop, and he had assistants to run errands and deliveries. Even then, the shop was practically never closed because someone was there, so why was it now?

"Leonardo?" she called out, rapping loudly. Beside her, Ezio frowned, and shouted out the artist's name, too, and even the assistant's, but no one answered. The two looked at one another with concern.

"Excuse me? Are you two looking for Master Leonardo?" a voice called out, and both spun to find an older man—a peddler of some kind—standing at the entryway. When they nodded he smiled sadly. "I'm sorry, but he was commissioned by a Venetian noble to pain some portraits. He paid for the Master to move his entire workshop to Venezia. It's quite an opportunity!"

"Indeed it is. Thanks a lot, friend," Ezio nodded to the man, whom nodded back and left. He turned to Catherine then, who laughed a little.

"Talk about coincidence—Leo is heading there, too! I wonder if they call that fate," she snickered.

Ezio shrugged, chuckling as well, "Perhaps. With any luck we may just catch him on the way there. Regardless, it's nice to know we'll have at least one friend there."

"No kidding—especially when we don't really have any Assassin allies to establish there, or at least none we know of. We'll have to hope there's some factions there like here."

"Mario mentioned the factions were probably more wide spread than we thought, so it's possible. We'll just have to look. Anyways, we'll worry about that when we get there—let's head out so we can try and catch Leonardo," the young man grinned, wrapping an arm around Catherine's waist and leading her out from the walkway back to the road.

She raised a brow at him, "Mind the hand now."

"What? I'm just being a proper gentleman escorting his lovely lady companion—hand on her side. Very platonically, if I might add," he mused, smiling oh-so innocently.

"Uh-huh. Just keep it that way, trouble maker," she mused, giving him a slight look.

He assured he would, but, of course, it didn't last long. He was the playful sort—as usual—and soon enough his hand began to inch away from the "platonic" area, and received a smack as punishment. The redhead also made a point to stay out of reach after that, walking faster to the gate they'd come through in the morning. It was, thankfully, not all that far away, and once their horses were returned to them, they headed off.

The mountain trail was perhaps twenty minutes from the city at a smooth trot, during which there wasn't actually much talking. There wasn't much to talk about, Catherine supposed. They had their goal, and knew what to do to reach it. Hopefully their artistic friend would be found along the way, but the redhead kept her excitement on the down low—just in case. They didn't know when he had left, after all. He could very well already be on a ship to Venezia, although the notion he would have left without leaving them a letter didn't sit well with the young woman. It wasn't like him. He would have sent them something, so perhaps they had just missed the pigeon. He could have left only a day ago or even hours, and he would no doubt take a carriage. If that was the case, they would catch up soon enough.

"Alright, here's the trail. We'll take it easy on the horses as we go up, and then we can run them once we get to the proper path—it's much flatter up there," Ezio spoke up once they reached the base of the trail, which increased dramatically in slope.

"Right... so have you gone on the trail before?" Catherine inquired as she eased her horse to a walk and urged him up the path. The beast adjusted at once and she leaned forward some to help him out.

The young man nodded, "Not too far, but a little. Father took Federico and I out here a few times when he wasn't too busy—when we were young. He thought it would be a good challenge while we learned to ride."

"He was probably preparing you for when you might travel how we are now."

"Hmm.... I suppose you're right. I never really think about it... but all the free running and fighting—he was training me to be an Assassin," Ezio hummed, tilting his head slightly.

"Well, you certainly turned out to be a good one. You know I always say—."

"—that he would be proud. Don't worry; I believe it now," he chuckled, looking to her. He slipped his hand into his tunic to pull out his family emblem, which glimmered in the sunlight. "I wear it always to remind myself of that."

She grinned, "Good. Now I don't have to keep smacking it into you."

"No, no you don't, for which I am glad," he laughed, returning the necklace to its safe place. He looked back to the path and gestured. "Almost there. See it bending off? We'll find a little house not too far away to give the horses a quick rest."

"Sounds good... although I do not look forward to camping on the ground. I would take the hay in the safe houses over it any day," the redhead chuckled, a sentiment which her companion shared.

"Well, Annetta made sure we had extra blankets, and it's warmer now, so it shouldn't be too bad," he shrugged.

"Hopefully. Eh. We'll deal with it when it comes to," she shrugged right back.

Not much more was said as they reached the top of the trail, and then urged the horses into a trot again. They had a good amount of trail to cover, after all. However, just as Ezio said, they came upon a small house in a large bend not far from where they'd increased their pace. It had a few horses strung about and looked like some kind of waypoint, so to speak, but was empty. That is, except for one unusual guest. It was a decent-sized carriage pulled by two horses, and at the back crouched a very familiar figure tinkering with a wheel. Catherine's demeanor lit up at once, and she was all too happy to dismount near a post where she tied her horse with Ezio doing the same.

"Leo!" she exclaimed, almost unable to believe they had found him so soon. The artist's head shot up and a smile appeared immediately as he stood to embrace her.

"Catherine, Ezio! Oh, it is so good to see you, and what luck!" he laughed before looking to his wheel, which appeared to be missing a few parts. He grinned, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly, "I, uh... I have run into a bit of trouble."

"Here, let's see if we can help," Ezio smirked as he moved to the side of the carriage, leaning over to look.

"I know how to fix it—but lack the means to do so. If you two could just lift the wagon for me?" their friend inquired.

"Sure thing. Give us a second," the redhead mused as she and Ezio stepped over to the side of the wooden structure, grasped beneath the bottom edge, and lifted. From their spot, it was easy enough to look inside. Catherine recognized the magnificent contraption inside and smirked knowingly, whereas her companion frowned in confusion.

"What is this thing?" he inquired, glancing over at Leonardo. "It looks like a giant bat!"

Without skipping a beat in his work, he replied, "Oh, nothing. Just an idea I have been working on... I could not leave it behind. And... done! Thank-you."

Catherine rolled her eyes as she released the carriage, "Leo, come on. It's more than an idea now, and you know it. You've only been working on it for years now."

"Wait—you know about it? What's it for?" the young man pouted, not unlike a child.

"Well... I should not really talk about," Leonardo mumbled, fingers twiddling.

The redhead raised a brow, hands on her hips, "Just tell him, Leo. I know you want to. Besides, he's going to get all huffy if you don't since I know and he doesn't."

"Hey! I will not."

"See? He's already pouting."

Leonardo laughed, lifting his hands in the air, "What the hell, then? She is right—I cannot hold it in anymore! Catherine already knows because she had been secretly helping whenever you visit, but... well... I think I have figured out a way to make a man fly!"

The redhead grinned as she watched the artist come closer to Ezio, his eyes wide and bright with the excitement of it. It really was an ingenious idea and he was so close to figuring it out. She only wished she had done more to help than how their friend was making it sound, but she had, at least, helped a little. However, even knowing she had been in on it, the disbelief in Ezio's face and chuckle was all too palpable.

"Is that so?" he hummed, much to Leonardo's disappointment, whose excitement faltered. "Well, when you make it work, let me know."

"Oh, don't mind him, Leo. He's just a 'non-believer'," Catherine mused as she promptly got between him and their friend, essentially shoving him back. The young man huffed only for a moment, and then everyone was smiling again.

"Well, even so it is still an idea, but I hope to complete it soon. Anyways, do not worry over it. Rather, I admit I am curious—I did not think you would have come to find me after I sent the letter. I am touched, truly."

"Uh, well, actually... we left before your letter came apparently. You'll think it's crazy, but we're actually going to Venezia, too. We've got... 'work' there. Oh! And congratulations on your commission! You're really moving up, huh?" the redhead exclaimed, taking her friend's hands.

He grinned, squeezing hers, and brushing off her mention of 'work', "Oh, yes, I am very excited! And you are right—I can barely believe it! But perhaps this is good fortune; it is always better to travel with company than alone, and I should be very glad to have you both there with me in the city. Although, how did you know about the commission...?"

"A passerby mention you had left. It's definitely good fortune, though, and perhaps we should get going—cover as much ground as we can before it gets dark," Ezio noted, motioning to the carriage.

"Oh, yes, yes. And, please, join me in the carriage, both of you," Leonardo beamed.

Catherine shrugged at her fellow Assassin, "Sounds good to me."

"Indeed. Just let us gather out supplies and we'll head out. Don't worry—I'll drive."

"Pssh. You sure you won't crash into anything?" Catherine teased, but Ezio only gave her a look before heading over to the horses. She chuckled and then followed after.

It didn't take long to unpack their mounts and then leave them be; they were just general horses they didn't mind "losing" every now and then, and Monteriggioni received new ones with each new visitor, so they didn't worry. Thus, they put their supplies into the carriage, and stepped up onto the main seat. Ezio took the reins while Leonardo sat on the opposite side, and Catherine lounged on the roof, with her legs set between them both. With a flick of the reigns, the three departed.

Conversation came quick and easy for the trio, as it always did when they were at his shop. Leonardo spoke of his latest works and of what awaited him in Venezia. He mentioned his commissioner and how apparently they had built a workshop for him there. The artist hoped to work on architecture there as he had in Firenze, although expected most his time would be occupied with the painting and tinkering with his inventions. He lamented having to leave some in his former workshop, but he had brought his blueprints with him in case inspiration struck. He also made various inquiries about more Codex pages, although they had no more to give him, much to his disappointment. However, he took some delight knowing more might be coming his way in Venezia.

The two Assassins like-wise, told him of their adventures they had not gotten to yet, and he was, as usual, enthralled by what they could do. He never pried further than needed—for his safety of course—and he always wished them the best of luck, to be safe, and that they always had sanctuary with him. They thanked him, of course, and then talk ventured into how Claudia would give birth very soon and how the city and everyone was faring. He was especially glad to know Maria was coming around and returning to her former glory; he professed a desire to return to Monteriggioni with them once to see her and give a painting. They both eagerly agreed and hoped he would. Catherine especially enjoyed the thought of her long-time friend staying for perhaps a few weeks, if only to be able to have someone to do art with.

Beyond that, the rest was quiet travel. Catherine even napped for a little as the hours waned on, or took the reins from Ezio so he could stretch and relax. Rest stops were made every so often, but otherwise a great deal of progress was made as they moved along the path. Most of it was easy, although some areas were a bit more treacherous than others. However, they made it through all of the day and as the darkness of night began to settle in they found an opening on the trees and rocks to finally settle for the night. The horses were rested and tied down, while bedding was set out around a fire to where they were all comfortable. Annetta and Leonardo's food was put to good use, and a decent feast was had with more talk and wine to drink. Many hours of merriment passed before it was deemed time to rest.

Catherine and Ezio settled next to one another as they had away from home, and thought nothing of it. It was just what they did, lying back to back on their makeshift bedding, and there was comfort in it. However, their traveling companion could not help but watch with a curious eye and a small smile on his face before he, too, settled for the night.

-O-

March 3, 1481

Apennine Mountain Trail, Italy

"So... Ezio."

The young Assassin looked up briefly from his spot as he rolled up both his and Catherine's gear, the redhead off relieving herself with privacy. He made a sound of acknowledgment as he worked unabated.

Leonardo cleared his throat lightly, "You and Catherine... you are... courting now?"

The young man just about ripped his blanket in half as he blanched. He looked up at the artist, eyes wide with shock. His companion laughed as he stood, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. He glanced to where the redhead had gone, and his awkwardness became an unreadable silence. He shook his head a few moments later and chuckled.

"No, Leonardo, we are not courting."

"Yet you slept together?" the artist pressed, almost wryly.

Ezio waved his hand, "Simply... habit. We had to share a bed more often than not during our work in Toscana, in part because there was no other bedding, and also because it would be cold. Nothing more, though."

"I see," Leonardo mused, and it was all too obvious he was not convinced. The Assassin only shrugged, though, and continued to pack as Catherine finally returned and tended to the horses; attaching them to the carriage and situating their reins.

"Indeed," Ezio hummed back, glancing over at the redhead briefly before lifting both of their packs and bringing them to the carriage. Leonardo followed right behind and soon hoisted himself up into the seat.

"Well, I'm ready. You guys need to take a quick break, too, or anything?" Catherine inquired as she climbed to the roof and kicked her legs lazily over the side of the seat.

"No, I'd say we're good to go," her fellow Assassin replied as he took his spot, too, and picked up the reins. The artist said much the same, and so they departed once more.

The path was a bit calmer than before, although with the occasional narrow twist and turn, but their horses were well seasoned and Ezio proved his worth as a driver. Again they talked of whatever came to mind. Today, their friend was especially keen on describing the city to them, and his awe of it. He was almost like a child as he explained it all, completely enthralled in what awaited him. However, it was paused as Ezio suddenly grew tense. Catherine noticed and put a hand on Leo's shoulder. The artist looked between them, at first confused, but then worried.

"What? What is it?" he asked much more softly now.

"We're not alone," the young man growled. Catherine frowned, not sure what he was on about, but then—the sound of hooves, and not from their horses. A shout came in the next moment, and the redhead spun around to find two men clad in familiar armor on horseback right on their heels.

"Shit! Ezio, go!" she shouted, already freeing a throwing knife, despite realizing she would probably hit nothing in her position. Ezio didn't need her to tell him twice, and she was glad she had grabbed onto the carriage as the horses suddenly went into a full gallop, lurching her forward some. She kept her grip, though, cursing all the while.

"What has happened? Who are they?!" Leonardo exclaimed, grasping on tight to the carriage, too.

"They're definitely Rodrigo's men—I recognize the armor!" the redhead shouted, keeping a close eye on the two, whom were slowly gaining ground.

"Why? What do they want with us?"

"Duck!" Catherine hollered as she moved—just as an arrow struck not far from where she'd been.

"I think they want us dead," the young man growled and urged the horses faster before motioning with his head to the cargo hold door on the top. "Leonardo! Hide! Catherine, don't let the arrows hit him!"

"Got it! C'mon, Leo. Ezio, just keep it as steady as you can—those guys are going to try and jump on and I'll have to take care of them!" she shouted back, shoving her throwing knife into the wood of the carriage and then gripping the handle. It would serve her better as a way to steady herself when need be.

Ezio glanced back, shouting, "Switch with me—let me handle them!"

"No time! Just keep driving!" she snapped just as one of the guards—a scout, she noted—leaped on. His cohort was right behind him, so she acted quickly. Activating her Hidden Blade, she shot forward to shove it through his neck while the guard remained unsteady. He croaked and fell off, and she almost did the same as she stumbled from the rocking carriage. She managed to keep hold and pushed back to the knife, using it to steady herself. The other man leaped on then, and he was better than his ally. He pulled his own dagger and charged, but she was ready. She blocked the weapon with her Blade, and then promptly struck with her boot to kick him back. His arms flailed rapidly, and the sudden turn in the road threw him off. She saw his head hit poorly, and he did not move for the few seconds she could see him before they curved around yet another bend. Unfortunately, they would not be the last—more horses came charging after.

"Catherine, get back up here! Now!"

The redhead turned her head sharply, and cursed loudly.

The bridge ahead was on fire. She could make out guards as the culprits as she quickly scrambled back into the seat and grasped hold of one of the sides.

"Please tell me we can make it!"

"Just hold on!"

Ezio slapped the reins relentlessly, urging the horses faster and faster. Catherine didn't doubt they were foaming at the mouth by now, and she briefly wondered if they would make the jump at all. Could they even make it? The thing was small and flimsy at best and on fire. How could they make it?

"Ezio!" she hissed as they came to the final stretch—there would be no turning back. She got no reply as the young man continued to push the horses, and then they were on the bridge. The fire was hot and the wood beneath them buckled and cracked. It was the end, and she knew it, but the horses leaped anyways to avoid a deathly fall. She didn't know how or why, but somehow that saved them. The wheel hit the ground on the other side and they raced onward. Her heart raced so fast she wasn't sure how it was humanly possible. Then again, she didn't know how it was possible they were still alive, either.

She only wished she could revel in that happiness.

Rodrigo Borgia wanted them deader than anything—a notion that sparked a worrisome thought, but one which she had to push aside for now. More guards came from the outskirts of the trail, and so she scrambled back up to the roof. Again she used the knife to steady herself and waited as the guards came racing. However, more variables came in the form of arrows. She was only so lucky hitting a target moving very fast was hard to hit, but she still worried at some came close—and some were on fire, too. Ezio noticed and, unfortunately, had to swerve hard more than once. Catherine rolled each time and struggled to keep her grip, but she somehow managed.

"Hang on!"

"What do you think I'm doing?!" she barked just as another man came aboard. She stood to face him, but the carriage lurched and she rolled. She managed to grasp onto something—she wasn't sure what at this point—and get up to her knees. She just barely avoided a knife to her gut, although could not avoid a shallow slice into her belly. It stung and her clothes turned red at once, but she ignored it as she brought out both her blades. The man charged forward sloppily thanks to the carriage movement, but then made a sound of surprise as his foot caught. It was Leonardo, reaching through the gaps in the woods. Catherine didn't waste a second—especially not when she saw the glint of metal rise up—and shoved her Blade into the man's gut. He gasped, dropping his knife, and was promptly thrown off.

The Redhead took the moment to test her injury. It stung, but nothing she couldn't handle. She turned her focus back to their attackers, with another coming on board. She growled as she kept low and pulled another throwing knife free. The carriage was evening out as the path did, and so she threw the weapon. It struck where it needed and caused the guard to fall. He rolled a good while and didn't rise right away. To the redhead's relief, no more horses followed. She reached for another dagger when she heard wood creak, but when she turned her head she saw it was only Leonardo emerging from below.

"Are you alright?!" he exclaimed, reaching for her, but she waved him off.

"I'm fine—go back down or sit so you don't fall!" she shouted back.

"No, wait—come up here!" Ezio called out, and the artist quickly obeyed while Catherine moved closer to the seat, grasping the embedded knife to steady herself once more. "Go, Leonardo! They're here for us, not you. Catherine, go with him just in case—I'll catch up later once I lead them away."

"No, I'm sticking with you. We're a team!" the redhead urged as the young man passed the reigns to the artist.

The Assassin grasped her arm, "No. Stay with him. He may need protection, and you're already injured. I will come find you as soon as I'm able. I promise."

She wanted to say no again; to refuse. She even bit her lip in her indecision, but ultimately nodded. Ezio smiled softly, squeezed her arm once more—gently this time—and then he was gone. Catherine watched him go, guards converging in the distance, but then slipped into his spot. Leonardo kept the reigns as they continued on, and she was relieved to find they weren't followed as Ezio had thought they wouldn't. She paid more attention to her wound then, which was still bleeding. It wasn't anything worrisome, so she only made sure to keep pressure by lifting her belt higher and tightening it. It would do until they found a doctor.

"Will he really be alright—and what of you!? There is so much blood!" Leonardo gasped, eyes flicking between her bloodied clothes and the path. He had started to slow the horses to a trot now that were out of danger.

"Don't worry; it's a shallow wound. We'll just find a doctor when we get to the city... and maybe a change of clothes. And don't worry about Ezio—he'll be fine. He's just going to lead the guards away or stop them and then meet us in Forlì"

"You... you are certain?" the artist inquired, looking back, but the young man was long gone from view.

Catherine nodded, "Yeah. He'll be fine. He always is. He's... well, he's actually a better Assassin than me, technically. Sort of. I'm sneakier, but he's stronger. He'll make it."

"If you are sure... We do need to get you to a doctor," Leonardo mused, looking to her wound again. "Does it really not hurt?"

"Oh, it stings, but this isn't the worse injury I've had. Seriously, Leo, don't worry. We're pretty tough. Just, y'know, focus on the road," she chuckled, which seemed to help ease the artist, although she could sense his anxiety. She felt it herself, despite her belief. She couldn't help glancing back once or twice to the path, hoping the young man might be galloping after them, but even as they exited the mountains and emerged into a large clearing with a walled city, he was nowhere to be seen. Catherine didn't lose hope, though. She knew he would come back. He had promised.

'Just come back safe, Ezio,' she silently called out as they made it to the main road. Until he did so, though, she had to get better herself, so she set her worries aside to work on finding her that doctor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27K 1K 55
"A crow cawed as black feathers fell around me. My eyes landed on a blonde woman in a priestess robe, a dangerous aura surrounding her as she stepped...
535 29 19
His cockiness was going too much, I'll have to destroy his perfectly made face later. "We'll be just partners in this mission. Nothing more." He smir...
1.3K 239 26
In this time period and dimension every 17 year old MUST past the Quest to keep their magic. Of course not everyone passes, do you want to know abou...
81.1K 3.4K 32
Ezio Auditore da Firenze; a Florentine Nobleman turned assassin after the death of his father and two brothers. A seducer of women, playful, possessi...