Complications with Commitment...

By writingcrazed

Jackson McKiernan doesn't think he needs to be in a relationship, nor is he jumping at the opportunity to get... More

Meet Jack
Prologue
Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter 05
Chapter 06
Chapter 08
Chapter 09
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 07

516 30 23
By writingcrazed

Complications with Immune Systems

Despite feeling like she's been bathing out in the sweltering summer sun in the middle of August, Sage forces herself to get out bed. With trembling hands she pulls the covers off and swings her legs over the side of the bed. As soon as she sits up, the blood rushes down from her brain to the rest of her body, making her feel lightheaded. She doesn't stand up right away and waits a few seconds for her body to adjust to the sudden shift.

Her baby hairs are sticking to her forehead, most likely because of the sweat sitting on her skin. Once she feels a little better, Sage stands tall, her knees weak and tired. Her lips are cracked and chapped, looking drier than the Sahara Desert while her throat feels like she's been eating sandpaper for the last week. It's rare for the girl to come down with a fever as severe as the one she has now but when she does fall ill, she usually ignores it and goes about with her daily activities. Why? Because the world isn't going to stop moving just for her. That's not how life works and she's accepted that a long time ago.

Carefully, Sage makes her way downstairs after washing up and getting dressed. In the kitchen she rummages through the cupboard stocked with the Dayquil and finds it hiding in the back behind some chewy vitamins. She doesn't have much of an appetite but consumes a banana once she swallows the pills. Even she knows taking medication on an empty stomach isn't the brightest idea. A banana might not be much but at least it's something. Besides, if she runs into Blake it'll save her from having to listen to another one of his lectures.

Gerald enters the room with his eyes transfixed on the file in his hands. He's donned in a dark navy blue suit, his favorite silver tie and a pair of sleek black Italian oxfords. His hair is pushed up and out of his face, styled with some gel to keep it in place. He has to be in court today for a client's trial but he's not nervous. He's confident they've got this trial in the bag. When he hears a hackle of coughs, he glances up and sets his briefcase onto the counter. "Sage, you are not going to school today," he announces.

The corners of the girl's lips twitch downwards. "I'm fine, Uncle Gerald," she assures, her voice hoarse. Although it's college and a majority of the students tend to skip their classes for whatever reason, Sage is not one of those people. She is determined to attend every session no matter what. Someone's paying for her education and she's not going to let money go to waste. During her freshman year she didn't miss a single class and this year she doesn't plan on changing that.

The man shakes his head and places a palm on her forehead. "No you aren't. Your face is as white as a ghost's and you're burning up," he remarks. "Your mother expects me to take care of you like you're my own daughter and I intend on doing that. Now go back to your room and rest. I'll call Trudy and have her come over to take care of you."

Perhaps she should have steered clear from her uncle until he left. He can be a little overprotective when he wants to be. "I can't. I've got to go."

Gerald pours himself a cup of piping hot coffee before he turns to look pointedly at his stubborn niece, the mug now sitting in his hand. Sage reminds him a lot of his younger sister who had also been a force to reckon with during her college years. She always did what she wanted despite what their parents would say. A rebellious, wild child she was. The apple certainly did not fall too far from the tree. Like mother like daughter. Luckily for him, however, Sage seems to be a bit more of an obedient child when compared to her mother. "Sage Chan, you will listen to me. This is for your own good," he chides. "Morgan!"

His daughter skips down from her room and waltzes in, whistling a happy tune. "You called?"

"When do you have class?" her father queries as he shifts to settle his gaze on her.

"Twelve," she answers without reluctance.

"Good. Keep an eye on your cousin until Trudy gets here," he orders, sipping the black and bitter beverage without even flinching. He's gotten used to the strong taste over the years and it doesn't faze him anymore like it used to back when he had been an undergrad student busting his ass off to stay on top of his grades. "If she leaves this house, you will be in trouble."

Morgan's jaw immediately drops to the floor. "How is that even fair?" She honestly cannot believe how ridiculous her father is being at the moment. If there's anyone more outrageous than Sage, it would definitely be her old man. It seems like she's the only reasonable person in the house. This is a repeat of her last two years in elementary school all over again! Just because she's older, Morgan has always been expected to look after Sage. Even in college she still has to take care of the girl! It seems like nothing has changed.

Don't get her wrong. She loves Sage dearly. Out of all of her cousins, she is the closest to Sage. No argument there. Sometimes, Morgan just feels like she shouldn't be the one held responsible for her cousin and her actions, especially not at this age. So of course she doesn't find getting punished for Sage's choices, no matter how poor they may be, fair.

"Morgan, can you not see how sick she is?"

At the mention of the word sick, she glances over to the girl and notices her frighteningly colorless complexion. A tiny wave of guilt washes over her and she lowers her eyes. How come she didn't notice earlier? No wonder Sage had gone to bed so early last night. She should have known something wasn't right. "Fine," Morgan sighs, walking over to her. "Come on, Sage. Let's go back to your room."

"But—"

"Sage," says Gerald sternly.

"Okay," she concedes. She shouldn't cause a scene. She could always try to convince Morgan while they're alone. Her chances of escaping the place would be much higher. "Can I at least email my professor?"

He nods. "You may. I will see you both at dinner then."

Up in Sage's room Morgan helps her into bed and carefully covers her body with the blanket. "You don't have to babysit me," she mutters.

Morgan snorts out loud and flicks her lightly on the forehead. "On the contrary, Sage, you and I both know that I do. If I leave, you're going to leave. Then I will be the only one getting punished for your poor judgement."

"But I have class today," reasons the girl.

Morgan rolls her eyes and crosses her arms in front of her chest. She then shifts all of her weight to her left foot, jutting out her hip. "Missing out on one lecture won't kill you. I, on the other hand, might if you even think about sneaking out on my watch. How'd you even get sick in the first place? I thought your immune system was, like, perfect."

"Nothing in the world is perfect. Not even my immune system," Sage replies. "Remember the day it was pouring out?"

"Yeah. It was a shit-show."

"That's how."

"Well, you should have paid attention to the weatherman," Morgan remarks. "What do you think Siri is for? If you don't want to miss any more lectures, listen and stay in bed. I'll grab you a pitcher of water in case you get thirsty."

"Morgan," Sage calls out, propping up on her elbows.

The older girl peers back over her shoulder. "What?"

"Sorry if I'm always inconveniencing you," Sage mumbles, the drowsiness quickly overtaking her entire body.

"You're family." Morgan smiles. "It's your job to inconvenience me among other things."

Sage nods her head slowly before she reclines back, her head falling onto the memory foam pillow beneath her. As soon as her cousin disappears from her line of sight, she sets her gaze on the ceiling decorated with large white swirls. She'd pick being sick over spending time in the slammer any day, wouldn't you? Her eyelids start to feel heavy as she basks in the comfort of her bed, gently pulling the blanket up to her chin.

Although she would prefer to be in school, learning about all things related to carbon, having a day to rest doesn't seem so bad. She could use this opportunity to catch up on her sleep. God knows she needs it.

Shortly after, Morgan returns with a tray. She realizes the patient is no longer conscious and makes sure to be quiet as she sets the pitcher, cup and medicine down onto her bedside table. Yes, for the most part Morgan has always been the one catering to Sage's needs. However, there have also been occasions where the roles are swapped and it would be Sage who is looking after her instead.

Like the time when Morgan went to a sorority party and got completely hammered. She'd rather keep the details as to why she consumed so much alcohol in the first place to herself. Let's just say it's one of the best ways to sterilize a wounded heart and leave it at that. The pain was subdued for only a temporary amount of time but she took what she could get.

At the end of the night, she could barely walk three steps without falling onto her derrière every single time! Obviously she had been far too intoxicated to drive home and, thankfully, Morgan was smart enough to call her cousin. Sage could practically smell the booze through the line when she had answered. Morgan was laughing like a maniac and slurring her words, hardly making any kind of sense. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that she was drunk off her ass. Despite the fact that she had an early class the next morning, Sage still got out of bed and rode her bike in the middle of the night to go and get Morgan.

Thinking about it now, Sage has always been there for her when she truly needed someone and never once has she complained. If only Morgan could say the same thing about herself. Again, the guilt slams into her as she nibbles on the inside of her cheek and exits the room, leaving the door slightly ajar. Sage's words from earlier about being inconvenient resurface in her mind while she is doing her makeup and Morgan sighs, peering up into her own reflection.

Looks like her cousin isn't as inconsiderate as she thought she was.

* * *

Throughout the entire class Jack notices how uneasy and jittery Blake seems. His legs keep bouncing up and down as he chews on his pencil, his eyes constantly flitting over to the clock hanging down in the front of the room. Anyone would assume he's just on a caffeine rush since it is college. Over ninety percent of the student body relies on that stuff to survive, especially during finals, but Jack knows better. Something's bothering him; it's just a matter of what. For the time being, Jack tries not to dwell on it. Whatever it is. His focus needs to be geared towards the lecture and nothing else. He'll just check up on Blake after class ends.

Their professor dismisses them with a reminder to do their online homework, which is due tomorrow before midnight, and Blake jumps out of his seat, shoving all of his belongings into his backpack in haste. Trouble is written all over his face and Jack watches him, lips molded into a small frown. It must be something serious. "Hey. Is everything all right?"

Blake throws his bag over his shoulder and exhales. "You remember the girl I was telling you about?"

Of course he does. Blake's only ever talked about one girl since they've become friends. Granted, Jack still has no idea what her name is or what she looks like, not that it's any of his business. "Your ex?"

"Yeah," Blake heaves, shaking his head. "She came down with a really high fever. I swear that girl was born to worry me." And yet he doesn't seem to mind. Because, to him, she's worth it. People can say he's making a fuss over nothing since everyone gets sick but this is Sage we're talking about here. Sure the housekeeper is over, keeping a close eye on the girl, but Blake's nerves refuse to settle unless he sees her for himself.

"You've still got it bad for her, don't you?" Jack questions as the two of them vacate the building, strolling side by side. Blake might not have told Jack about his feelings but through his words and actions, the bright and bold signs are all there, practically blinding him.

Blake rubs the nape of his neck sheepishly. There's no point in denying it. "How'd you know?"

"Because it's pretty damn obvious," laughs the blonde.

This time his friend pouts and mumbles with a burdened heart, "Not to her it isn't."

Jack is momentarily stunned that a girl so oblivious can exist in the world. Thanks to her, whoever she is, his curiosity has been aroused. To be honest, he didn't peg Blake to go for the dense type. He has always pictured him with someone bright and quirky. You know, like Blake. Two peas in a pod. "Why'd you breakup anyways?"

Where would he even begin? "Long story short, there was an accident, my mom got involved and I said some things I shouldn't have," he explains briefly.

Jack purses his lips. "So she broke up with you?"

A pregnant pause takes place and Jack wonders if he had said something wrong. Then, Blake inhales a cavernous breath. "No, I broke up with her," he admits softly, his voice almost inaudible. "But in my defense, I didn't think she'd actually agree to it. You know that reverse psychology stuff girls are always trying to pull?" Jack nods. His mom uses the tactic frequently. At least, she tries to. "Well I tried to do that too and, as you can see, I failed miserably and it backfired on me."

"Why haven't you tried asking her back out?" It's as simple as that... Isn't it?

"She thinks we're friends," Blake answers. Yeah, he's in the friend-zone now, but it's not his first time being there. Despite what you hear, the treacherous friend-zone is escapable. You just have to persevere and keep trying. And that's exactly what Blake plans on doing. "Her cousin went off on this rant about how exes can't be friends when we first broke up and she thinks we're proving her wrong. Did I mention how much she loves proving her cousin wrong?"

Well, this totally doesn't sound complicated at all. Note the sarcasm. "Maybe you should start showing her that you want to be more than friends," Jack advises. "If you wait too long, someone else could come in and whisk her away before you can do anything about."

The statement leads Blake to laugh wryly. "I doubt that'll happen. She's too busy to meet new people."

"Hey, you might never know," Jack says, stopping at the forked path in front of them. "Good luck."

"Thanks." Blake smiles before they head in different directions.

With December's arrival, the weather has, inarguably, gotten more frigid. While Blake is standing outside, waiting for someone to answer the door, his mind wanders over to what Jack had told him about somebody suddenly swooping in and stealing Sage from right under his nose. The thought has never crossed his mind until today and he begins to question whether or not such a thing is possible. What if Sage has already met another guy? No, she would've told him if she had. Besides, the last time he checked, she said she wanted nothing to do with relationships and Sage always means what she says. Perhaps he shouldn't overthink this.

Finally, the door is opened. The woman, who looks like she's in her late forties, examines the young man from head to toe before her eyes return to his face. For some peculiar reason, Blake feels intimidated and extremely self-conscious as he clears his throat. She must be the housekeeper. "Hi, I'm here to see Sage," he announces. "I'm her... friend."

Trudy steps out of the way and allows him entrance. "All right. She's upstairs."

This is the first time he's ever come inside but he manages to find the staircase without an issue. He can hear coughing and follows it. He knocks, his knuckles kissing the wooden door before he pushes it open. Sage glances up, a tissue in her grasp. "Blake, what are you doing here?"

He enters and stands by the foot of the bed. Her room is rather plain and barren with the exception of the furniture, a bookshelf standing at about seven foot included. It's exactly how Blake envisioned her room to look like. "I wanted to check up on you," he replies.

"I told you I was fine." The girl blows her nose, barely making a sound.

"Are you really now?" he challenges.

She nods. "I would've gone to class if I hadn't run into my uncle."

"I'm glad you did," he remarks. "You're in no condition to go anywhere."

"Are you here to guard me too?"

"Of course not," Blake denies. "I just wanted to keep you company."

"Then take a seat." Sage gestures to the end of her bed and, tentatively, Blake removes his shoes and climbs up, the mattress dipping under him. Maybe Jack is right. Maybe it's time for him to start showing Sage that he wants to be more than friends with her.

Too bad it's not that easy.

Because when it comes to Sage Chan, nothing is ever easy.

- - -

Author's Thoughts: Look, it's Morgan! What do you guys think of the pacing of this story? Also, can someone, anyone, come up with a decent ship name for JackxSage. It's soooo hard ;~;

Yes, this chapter was here to reveal more about Sage's personality, along with her relationship with Morgan and just how smitten Blake is.  How long do you think it'll take before Jack realizes the oblivious girl is the Sage? What do you think Blake will do?

Oh and there's a little foreshadowing in JackxBlake's conversation ;)

Ugh, I have finals coming up so I don't know when the next update will be. Please leave comments and votes if you'd like.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97 30 12
Complete. Not edited. 15,500 words. (Warning. Mature content. First time I have written anything, so be brutal! Much love and thanks for reading. Co...
845 79 23
Him, smiling in pleasure. I, moaning and groaning in agony. Did I feel pleasured? Fuck no. ************* Claudia Ryans life was anything but perfect...
45.4K 1.1K 31
~ Featured 2× on @StoriesUndiscovered's Reading List Tales Of The Heart. ~ Featured on @WattpadEmpowered's Reading List Monthly Spotlight. ~ Winner...
3.5M 135K 50
Follow my Instagram for any updates and if you have any questions: @nikki_k123 Alex has been living the same life, with the same routine, repeating i...