Chapter 07

Complications with Immune Systems

Despite feeling like she's been bathing out in the sweltering summer sun in the middle of August, Sage forces herself to get out bed. With trembling hands she pulls the covers off and swings her legs over the side of the bed. As soon as she sits up, the blood rushes down from her brain to the rest of her body, making her feel lightheaded. She doesn't stand up right away and waits a few seconds for her body to adjust to the sudden shift.

Her baby hairs are sticking to her forehead, most likely because of the sweat sitting on her skin. Once she feels a little better, Sage stands tall, her knees weak and tired. Her lips are cracked and chapped, looking drier than the Sahara Desert while her throat feels like she's been eating sandpaper for the last week. It's rare for the girl to come down with a fever as severe as the one she has now but when she does fall ill, she usually ignores it and goes about with her daily activities. Why? Because the world isn't going to stop moving just for her. That's not how life works and she's accepted that a long time ago.

Carefully, Sage makes her way downstairs after washing up and getting dressed. In the kitchen she rummages through the cupboard stocked with the Dayquil and finds it hiding in the back behind some chewy vitamins. She doesn't have much of an appetite but consumes a banana once she swallows the pills. Even she knows taking medication on an empty stomach isn't the brightest idea. A banana might not be much but at least it's something. Besides, if she runs into Blake it'll save her from having to listen to another one of his lectures.

Gerald enters the room with his eyes transfixed on the file in his hands. He's donned in a dark navy blue suit, his favorite silver tie and a pair of sleek black Italian oxfords. His hair is pushed up and out of his face, styled with some gel to keep it in place. He has to be in court today for a client's trial but he's not nervous. He's confident they've got this trial in the bag. When he hears a hackle of coughs, he glances up and sets his briefcase onto the counter. "Sage, you are not going to school today," he announces.

The corners of the girl's lips twitch downwards. "I'm fine, Uncle Gerald," she assures, her voice hoarse. Although it's college and a majority of the students tend to skip their classes for whatever reason, Sage is not one of those people. She is determined to attend every session no matter what. Someone's paying for her education and she's not going to let money go to waste. During her freshman year she didn't miss a single class and this year she doesn't plan on changing that.

The man shakes his head and places a palm on her forehead. "No you aren't. Your face is as white as a ghost's and you're burning up," he remarks. "Your mother expects me to take care of you like you're my own daughter and I intend on doing that. Now go back to your room and rest. I'll call Trudy and have her come over to take care of you."

Perhaps she should have steered clear from her uncle until he left. He can be a little overprotective when he wants to be. "I can't. I've got to go."