Chapter 12

Complications with Exams

After going over her exam one last time to double-check her answers, Sage is satisfied with everything and decides to turn it in. She slings her backpack over a shoulder, grabs her coat from the seat and skips down the steps, careful not to disturb the other students. Her professor for the Landscape Design Fundamentals course glances up from his seat and smiles warmly at her as he takes the papers. "How was it?" he questions.

"Not as bad as I expected," the girl supplies truthfully. It could have been harder, but she's glad it wasn't. His study guide had helped tremendously.

"That's good to hear," the man says as he flips through her test. "It was a pleasure having you in my class this semester, Ms Chan. I hope you have a good winter break. You deserve it."

Out in the hallway, Sage slips into her coat and then heads out towards the library. The frigid, winter wind whips against her exposed skin and forces her to pick up her pace. Unfortunately, she forgot her hat and scarf this morning and now she's paying the price for rushing. Once she enters the library, however, the heat swallows her whole. With each step she ascends, Sage's body begins to buzz with excitement. The sensation is something foreign to her, but she does not think much of it.

She reaches the third floor and scans the area. She catches sight of a familiar head full of dirty blonde locks occupying their usual table and, ever so casually, she strolls over and plops her bag down in the chair across from his. "Is it okay if I sit in this seat?" she questions even though she already knows his answer is going to be yes.

At the sound of her voice, Jack freezes and stops what he's doing. His heart thumps out of rhythm again as he inhales a cavernous breath and looks up at her. She's staring at him with those gorgeous hazel brown eyes of hers and it takes him a moment to respond with a nod. "I thought your exam was supposed to end at eleven," he says once his senses return. He wasn't expecting her until then.

"I finished early," Sage replies offhandedly as she removes her coat and settles in. "What time was your exam again?"

"One." Jack sighs as he recalls the dreaded event. He may understand the material well right now, but whenever it comes down to the actual exams, he tends to blank out and somehow forget everything. He's never discussed the ordeal with anyone before because he has always managed to pull through by himself and this time is no different. Perhaps if he really focuses and tries his best, he'll be able to pass the class with flying colors instead of just barely making the cut.

"Are you unprepared?" the girl assumes once she notices his ghostly complexion. He doesn't look all that confident in himself and anyone can see that.

Her words cause Jack to break away from his train of thoughts. "What?" He looks at her with his brows now puckered.

"Your expression," she explains briefly. "It doesn't look so good."

"Was my expression that grave?" A smile drapes over his lips when he realizes that she may be worried about him.