Lockdown 》 Containment

By lovethebreeze

"There are chords in the hearts of the most reckless which cannot be touched without emotion, even by the utt... More

Prologue
I To Die, You To Live
Be Angry At The Sun
With Silence And Tears
Like A Sheep Among Wolves
He Stilled The Rising Tumult
Inferno
There's A Crack In Everything
A Kingdom Divided Against Itself
A Time To Be Born...
Nothing Gold Can Stay
Yes Is The Only Living Thing
Path To Paradise
Bonus!!!

Pilot

9.1K 220 40
By lovethebreeze

"I don't understand why they need me to come by the hospital, on my day off might I add, to fill out some paper work." I said through the phone while I drove to Atlanta Midtown Hospital.

I heard Katie laugh, "Don't worry about it. The paperwork might just be you filling out your signature."

"I doubt that. But, I might see you and the kids at the hospital. That's a plus at least."

"Maybe you could give us the tour then. The kids would love to see a friendly face." I know Katie was giving me her puppy dog look on the other line.

"As much as I would love to, I can't. I was suppose to visit my brother before he leaves for college tomorrow. And the kids will love Sanders, she maybe serious most of the time but she's a real jokster once they get to know her."

"How is Toby?" Katie asked.

"He's doing great. He got the scholarship, now he can start fulfilling his dream of becoming an astrophysicist. His girlfriend, Jamie, is doing well. He's planning to propose to her tonight."

"Good for them. They've been together since middle school, it's time they tied the knot. And someone should start looking for a relationship."

I rolled my eyes, "Katie, I don't want a relationship. You know how lucky I am when it comes to men." I said sarcastically.

I heard her sigh, "Yeah, I know. But, what was that old saying...you're one heartbreak closer to your happy ending." I laughed. "Hey, I'll talk to you later. The bus just pulled up at the hospital."

"Sounds like a plan, I'll see you in 20. Maybe." I hung up.

》》》》

I hate traffic. I made it to the hospital in 40 minutes. I went inside and Bobby was already making his way towards me.

"Hey, Amelia. I thought it was your day off?" He asked.

"It is, but I was suppose to fill out some paperwork about one of the patients."

He crossed his arms, "On your day off. They do realize it could have waited till tomorrow?"

"Apparently, they wanted it done today."

"Ok, come on. I'll go get you the papers then."

I smiled, "Thanks, Bobby."

We went though the hallways and stopped when we saw Katie's class singing for some of the patients in the waiting area.

Lean on me when you're not strong.
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on. For it won't be long.
'Til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on.

I smiled at my best friend, "Katie!" She smiled and pulled me in for a hug. "Where's little Quentin?"

She pointed at my godson. He was wearing his green sweatshirt. He had the biggest on his face and was clapping.

"Cute kids." Bobby said.

"They're kids, but their monsters." Katie joked.

I roller my eyes. I excused myself before the flirting could continue. I went to the front desk, seeing Bobby wasn't going to get me the papers. Now, what's my position at the office you ask? I'm a nurse.

"Hey, Jason. Can you hand me Steve Michigan's file? I need to fill in some of his paperwork."

"Sure thing, Amelia."

》》》》

A half an hour later and I was finally done. I was walking down the corridor until I saw my favorite rat man.

"Hey, Bert." I greeted.

"Why am I not surprise that you're here?" He chuckled.

"You know me. All work and no play." I took a look at the rats that were inside the cage. Then I spotted Quentin and one of his classmates, Thomas, running towards us. I chuckled, "Hey, where's the fire?"

"We wanted to see the rats, Aunt Mellie." Quentin said excitedly as he and his friend looked at the cage.

"And does your mom know you're here?" I asked as I placed my hands on my hips.

"Yes?" He said, but it came out more like a question.

I raised my eyebrow at him, "Really?"

He held my gaze for a moment. Seeing who would break first. I gave him my best 'you lying to me' stare. It wasn't much; eyebrow raised, lip pursed, eyes holding a challenging stare.

He groaned, "No, but enough with eyes, it burns. Can't you just stay with us?"

I looked at Bert, who was smiling at the exchange, then back at Quentin, who was giving me his puppy dog eyes. I couldn't resist.

I gave him a smile, "Sure." He and his friend got huge smiles, but I pointed my finger at them. "Only for a little while and it's up to Bert."

Now Quentin and his friend were giving Bert their best pouting face. Bert chuckled as he ruffled Quentin's hair, "It's alright with me. Come on."

》》》》

I held one of the rats in my hand, we were inside the research lab for some time now. There was nothing wrong with them, from what Bert told me. I held it in front of Quentin and Thomas so they could get a good look. I wouldn't let them pet it. Last time I let Quentin pet a dog - whose owner was with him, might I add - Katie scolded me for a good ten minutes.

I placed the rat back in the cage and looked at Quentin, "We should go back. Your bus might be leaving soon."

Quentin shook his head, "No, one of the doctors told us to stay here." That's strange.

"Did they mention why?"

He shook his head, "No. He just said that we all needed to head back inside and not to touch anyone."

I shared a confused look with Bert. Why weren't they allowed to touch? If there was an epidemic in the hospital I would have been informed. By that, I mean, Bobby would have told me. Maybe this was Bobby's way to get Katie's attention. Well, he needs to up his game or find a new game plan. That was just weak.

Bert was telling the kids how his wife named all of the rats. From Rolf to Justin Bieber, she never cease to amaze me. Then we heard footsteps from behind us and saw Katie with a cop. She was wearing gloves and a mask while the officer had his clear helmet down.

"Quentin, what did I say about sticking close?" Katie asked. She looked at Bert, "Sorry for the bother." Then she looked at me, "Why didn't you answer any of my calls?"

"They weren't bothering anyone and my phone's on silent. I thought you'd be ok with that since they were with me." I said.

Bert realized it's a good time as any to let the boys out, "Come on, young ones. Let's get going."

Quentin, Thomas, and Katie followed after him. Quentin looked at Katie, "Freaky mask, Mom." They left the room. It was me and the cop.

"You should at least put your phone on vibrate. Your friend was really worried about you and the boys." He said.

"That's Katie for you. Always worried about others. And what's up with the mask and gloves?" I asked.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "You don't know?"

"If I did, why would I be asking you?"

He chuckled, "Got me there. The hospital's on lockdown for a few hours. Some virus scare, easily transmitted. Which is why we need to stay four to six feet away from each other."

I groaned as I muttered, "Damn it, Bobby." He gave me another confused look. "Bobby's my best friend here. He usually tell me things like this."

He joked, "At least you know where your friendship stands when it comes it deadly viruses."

I laughed, then held my hand out, "Amelia."

"Jake."

He was about to shake my hand but stopped. Four to six feet...right. But, now I got a good look at him. Jake is really attractive and looked good in his uniform. Do I want to get into details? Probably not, I'm not that kind of girl. I stopped being that girl when I turned 21.

"I would say it's a pleasure meeting you, but considering the circumstance." He said as he pointed around the hospital.

"What are you two doing here?" I heard the familiar voice ask. I turned to see Bobby walking near us. "The hospital's officially on lockdown."

"We're already on lockdown." Jake pointed out.

"Well, they don't want anyone leaving for 48 hours."

"Seriously." I said. The same time Jake said, "You got to be kidding me."

"Amelia, I'm not going to lie to you. This is a unique situation, but we're at good hands."

"Says who? Dr. Cannerts." I asked ridiculously.

"No, but follow the rules and everything will be f-" Bobby didn't finish because he let out a sneeze that sounded like it hurt.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey. Back up. Back up." Jake told me when he stood in front. "Amelia, go get that other doctor, Cannerts, now." I slowly make my way towards Bobby. Jake held his hand up and yelled, "Step aside. Sir, step aside!"

When I got pass Bobby I sprinted to find Cannerts.

》》》》

I was sprinting through the research lab, but skid to a stop and my eyes widen. There was an unmoving body in one of the rooms. Doctor Sanders. Her eyes were yellow, there was blood out her mouth and nose, her clothes were bloodied. Oh, my god. What happened to her? Is that going to happen to Bobby?

I snapped out of it and sprinted towards Cannerts office. I began pounding on the door repeatedly. When he opened it I didn't give him the second to talk.

"Cannerts, something's wrong with Bobby." I panted.

He followed me, "What happened?"

"I don't know. One minute he's fine and the next he sneezed. I thought it wouldn't mean anything, but with the hospital on lockdown, it might mean something."

We rushed down the hallway. We found Bobby with his mask on and Jake panting while furiously clicking his phone. He was breathing heavily and all I did was stood there. Jake turned around and knocked one of the emergency kits down before leaving.

Cannerts told Bobby to get up and led him to a room. Bobby looked even sicker. His skim was turning greyish, he kept coughing, he looked like he went to hell. I was looking at him through the window and he held my gaze. Tears were threaten to fall down because I knew what was going to happen. Bobby was going to die. My best friend, who might as well be my brother. The one who gave me the welcome tour on my first day, the one who made joke when things took a turn for the worst. Bobby, the one who loved taking care of his patients. Now this disease...virus...plague, whatever, is taking him away. Like it did to Sanders. This can't be happening.

I stood there for hours. Bobby was looking worst by the second. More doctors were bringing in more people, children from the field trip, the elderly. I bit my lip as I waved to Bobby through the window, he returned it. He gave me a small smile that said 'It's going to be ok' but it's not.

My tears were falling down. I placed my hand over my mouth so my sobs wouldn't come out. I turned around and went around the corner of the hallway. I hit my back against the wall and slid down. I shut my eyes tight when my vision became blurry. I took deep breathes and cried even more.

I felt something tap my shoulder and I opened my eyes to see Jake giving me a sympathetic look while holding down a mask. With everything going on I forgot to wear mine. I got up and slowly took it from him as I wiped away my tears with my one of my hands.

"We should head back." He said softly.

There was a loud lump in my throat that caused me to stay quiet, but I nodded anyway. We walked in complete silence the whole way. We made it into the waiting area and Katie stood up when she saw me. I shook my head to let her know I wanted to be alone. I walked to the farthest corner of the room, ignoring the concern looks Jake and Katie were sending my way. I sat down on one of the chairs and took my phone out. I needed to call him.

He picked up after the first few rings, "Amelia, where are you? Why aren't you here?"

I let out a sad chuckle, "Toby, I wish I was there to see you. I miss you."

"I miss you too. But, what happened? You said you were coming right after you went to the hospital."

"I was, but right now I can't leave for 48 hours. It's on lockdown. I missed you propose to your girl and probably miss you leave."

"There's something else, what's wrong?"

That's one of the reasons why I love Toby, he knows me so well, "It's Bobby. He got really sick and he might not make it." I let out another sob.

"I'm so sorry, Amelia."

I sighed as I glanced around the room. I caught Jake's eye and he gave me a small sad smile which I returned. "Me too, Toby. And if anything happens to me I want you to know how much I love you, how much you mean to me, and how you're the best brother a sister could ask for."

"Stop talking like you're going to die. If I know anything about us Artemisias is that we're strong. We faced anything and everything that have been thrown us and won. We always win. So, when you get out of that hospital, demand a week off and come visit me at school. We'll show the campus what the Artemisias can do."

I smiled, "I promise."

》》》》

A/N: Short, but I hope you guys like this chapter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

102K 6.3K 16
𝐰𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐦𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬, 𝐰𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐲 𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬.
Cannibal Corpses By 🦇

General Fiction

257 25 9
What happens when a couple of experiments go wrong causing them to create a deadly virus that gets released into the world? Will there ever be a way...
1.1K 153 20
"When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth." When a virus outbreak causes a zombie apocolypse in North America, L.J. must find...
996 119 12
*Dreams can become nightmares.* The government has created a mini echo system that is self sufficient and covered my a large glass top, much like a s...