My Best Friend's Brother

By TryTillYouSucceed

"Nice try," I said and the smile on his face grew wider. My eyes took in every inch of his face with pleasure... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Announcement? Notice?
Trailer!
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Last Author's Note
Announcement!
Bonus Chapter!
New Book Announcement: Supernova

Chapter 5

138K 3K 1.2K
By TryTillYouSucceed

I was completely bored. I told mom I would be going to Erica's but she had to go visit her aunt with her mom.

I sighed and logged in to FaceBook. Mom would be home soon, maybe we could go out and get some Mexican food; I really did need a big bowl of cheesy nachos. I browsed through my newsfeed, there was nothing new or interesting but I had a ton of friend requests. Of course, why wouldn't everyone want to be friends with the new girl? Note the sarcasm. I didn't even know many of them, I got a request from Abby; I accepted it instantly. I got a request from Jared, he was there in Chemistry with me; I accepted his as well. I didn't do anything to the people I didn't know, just in case I get to know them later; I could add them. Before I was about to sign out, I noticed a name that I did recognize. Ethan Wilson. I hesitated before adding him but he already has my number, so it wouldn't be a big deal if I accepted a friend request. I accepted his friend request and a message popped up. I expected it to be Ethan, but it was Jared.

Jared Pena - Sup there gorgeous? ;)

Ashley Mathews - Nothing much, I'm just bored. What about you?

Jared Pena- Yup, same here. Maybe we could meet up for a movie or something at 7?

Ashley Mathews - You mean like a.. date?

Jared Pena - If that's what you want, sure ;)

Ashley Mathews - Sorry but I'm not exactly free tonight.

Jared Pena - No worries. Maybe some other time.

Ashley Mathews - Yeah sure. Some other time. I've got to go now. I'll ttyl. Bye!

I gave Jared totally fake answers. Honestly, I didn't like him much. He seemed like the high school's player.

I closed my laptop and walked towards my messy desk searching for my copy of The Last Song. The book is extremely lovely, I haven't read much yet but I love it. I removed my bookmark, lied down on my bed and started reading.

*

I had been reading for an hour and did not want to put the book down but I decided that I should take a break. I checked the time, maybe mom must be home now; I must have not noticed. I went down the stairs and walked towards the kitchen.

While walking, I heard a really girly laugh. I went to the living room and found mom sitting on the couch with a man really close to her. I didn't know what shocked me more; the fact that my mom was laughing like a teenage girl with a man or the fact that the man with her was my dad.

I stood there shocked with wide eyes. How could she be sitting so close to the man who left us for another woman, who didn't give a damn about his responsibilities! I cleared my throat to get my mom's attention. Her head snapped towards me and I looked at her with clear anger. Her eyes widened and she got up, brushing her skirt and walked towards me.

"H-hi honey. I thought you were going to Erica's place," she asked softly.

"Is that why you invited him over?" I replied angrily.

My dad got off the couch. "That is not how to talk to your mother."

I scoffed. "Says the man who ran away from his responsibilities"

"Keep your voice down this instant," he ordered.

Ignoring him, I turned to mom. "Do you mind explaining this?!"

She replied slowly. "Your dad came by to visit us. He said he was in town and wanted to come by and see us."

"You can't be serious, mom! How can you have the nerve to stand in the same room as him!"

A look of anger crossed my mom's face. "Ashley!"

"What happened to his so-called girlfriend?" I asked with frustration.

"We, um, are not together anymore," my biological father replied.

I gave my mom an obvious look with anger. "See! The only reason he came to meet you is because he doesn't have a woman in his life, mom! He doesn't care about us. He never did and he never will. He is just another asshole who is selfi-"

I would have continued talking but I was cut off by a harsh slap. My mom just slapped me. She slapped me for a man who cheated on her and never tried to get in touch with us.

I looked at my mom and she had a shocked expression on her face. "Ashley, I d-didn't mean to, I-I'm so sorry."

Hot, angry tears threatened to escape my eyes. No, I wasn't going to cry in front of them. I started backing away; I walked out of the door without looking behind.

My mother just slapped me. I always stuck by her, I always supported her for every decision she made. I was always there for her.

I continued walking, not sure where I was going. I had to talk to Erica; I started walking towards her house, which was quite far, with tears rolling down my cheeks. Yes, I know this is over reacting but when I've supported my mom for over 10 years and always shared everything with her; it hurts.

I saw Erica's house nearing; I continued walking and rang the bell.

When there was no answer for long, I realised that Erica and her mom went to her aunt's place! I turned and started walking away.

"Ashley?"

Looking behind me, I saw Ethan standing at the door. All I needed was Ethan to see me crying, perfect. What would he do anyway? His eyes widened when he saw tears in my eyes.

Without saying anything, I continued walking.

"Ash! Wait! Are you alright?"

I heard footsteps nearing me and then suddenly Ethan was in front of me. I tried to avoid eye contact with him.

"I'm sorry I disturbed you, I wanted to talk to Erica but then I realised she wasn't home," I told him between sobs.

"Ashley," he said softly.

I looked up at him. His eyes had a beautiful glow because of the sunlight that fell on his face.

"Why are crying? Do you want to talk about it?" he asked with concern.

I shook my head and felt more tears roll down my cheeks. Ethan cupped my cheeks in his hands.

"Shh. It's alright. Everything's going to be okay," he said positioning his face in front of mine. I looked at him and wiped my eyes

"I'm sorry, I'll just leave," I started walking again.

He caught my hand and twirled me around crashing me to his stone hard chest.

"Why are you saying sorry?"

I didn't reply because I couldn't stop myself from crying. Before I knew it, I was in his arms, sobbing hard on his chest. He hugged me back, his arm was around my back protectively and his other hand was slowly patting my head and going through my hair.

I continued crying hard, why can't mom understand? How can she still want to stay in touch with the person who left us alone for someone who was not even family to him! That's it; I wasn't going to cry just because my mom slapped me. I know who's right here and saying the truth is not wrong, if that means getting slapped too. I took deep breaths and realised that I was still clutching to Ethan's shirt and let go.

I looked up at Ethan's face and he gave me a small smile. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I guess."

This is the closest I've been to Ethan, his eyes looked extremely pretty. His features looked even more sharp and gorgeous under the sunlight. We just stood there staring at each other, his eyes never left mine. I realised his arm was still around my back; my entire body was against his. I could feel the warmth of his body and it was sending shivers up my spine. Wait, shivers?

A silent tear rolled down my cheek; I didn't even notice it did until Ethan placed his hand on my cheek and wiped it away with his thumb.

"Everything will be fine," he said softly.

I just nodded. He must have noticed that his arm was around me and he let go.

"Ethan?"

"Yeah?" he replied.

"Thanks. Thanks for staying with me when I didn't have anyone," I told him softly.

"You don't need to say thanks. That's what friends do right?" He replied.

I smiled at him. I wiped it with my sleeve since my face still seemed wet.

"Sorry for disturbing, I'll just go," I told him politely.

I definitely must have disturbed him; he stood outside with me for what seemed like hours. I gave him one last smile and started to walk away.

Before I even took two steps, Ethan caught me and pulled me back by my waist. I sighed and turned to look at him with raised eyebrows.

"Stay. Come in for some time," he said, waiting for an answer.

I nodded slowly and he caught my hand by the wrist and pulled me to his house. Why was he being so sweet to me? I expected him to be mean and rude you know?

He walked to the kitchen, filled a glass with water and handed it to me. Taking it, took a few sips and placed it back on the counter.

"Do you think a cheesy line would make you feel better?" he asked innocently.

I chuckled and said, "Maybe"

"Is that a yes or no?" he asked.

Shrugging, I stuck my tongue out at him and walked towards the couch. I dropped down on the couch and sighed. I closed my eyes and felt him sit beside me. Opening my eyes, I looked at him and to my surprise; he was already looking at me. I observed that his eyes had more of a brown than the golden. He was staring back at me, I blinked and looked away.

"I'm bored," I told him in a tired voice.

"Let's go out," he said, shrugging his shoulders.

Going out did seem like a good idea, it would get my mind off things. I couldn't believe my mom; she actually slapped me for dad. He left us ages ago. If that man did give a shit about us, he would at least come once a month to visit. My mom was actually sitting in the same room as him and giggling like a teenager. Words couldn't describe the rage I felt for my so-called dad at this very moment.

I felt a tap on my shoulder, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Do you want to go out or not?" Ethan whined.

"Yes, but where?" I asked him.

"I don't know. We could go to the mall. Just hang around," he replied shrugging his shoulders.

"Ya! Let's go the mall. I want to buy a new Nicholas Sparks novel!" I replied with excitement, pushing away thoughts about my parents.

He started laughing. I frowned at him; I had no clue why he was laughing. I playfully hit him on the side of his shoulder.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked him with curiosity.

"Because girls would go shopping for clothes and jewellery not books," he said, quoting the books with his fingers.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Guys will just remain the same; they will always have this fixed image of a girl. Not all girls are like that, mister."

"Yes ma'am," he replied, saluting me with his two fingers.

I smiled proudly. He got up and pulled me up with his hands. I couldn't help but notice how perfectly my hands fit into his. I shook the thought away quickly.

Ethan grabbed the keys from the counter and we walked towards his car. I got a bit confused when he started walking towards the passenger seat. He unlocked the car and opened the door for me. I beamed at him, since when did he become such a gentleman? I thanked him and entered the comfortable seat and buckled up.

Ethan got in and started the engine. He slowly reversed the car and we were on the road. He turned on the radio and the song 'It Will Rain' played. I softly hummed along.

"You like Bruno Mars?" Ethan asked, interrupting my humming session.

"Yeah, he has pretty good songs," I replied with a closed mouth smile.

Ethan nodded. "So how's life been all these years?"

"Well, it's been pretty good. I've actually visited a lot of places, you know cause of my mom's job," I replied

"Oh yeah, how is she?" he asked.

I remained silent for a while. Ethan noticed my hesitation and changed the topic to my relief.

"Can I ask you something?" he said politely.

"Does it matter if I say yes or no? You're still going to ask me," I replied with a small smile. It felt really nice to talk to Ethan; he really was a nice guy. That's if you exclude his flirty comments.

He rolled his eyes and asked me either ways. "Did something happen with your mom?" he asked, carefully with the right words.

I looked at him while he looked forward trying to concentrate on the road. The car came to a stop and I noticed the red light in front of us. He looked at me and his eyes seemed to pierce right into me.

"Yes," I replied extremely softly, I wasn't sure whether he heard it.

"Oh, did something happen? I mean, I'm not trying to be nosy or anything but I just want you to know that you can talk to me about anything," he said.

I moved forward and put my arms around his neck and gave him a hug to show him that I appreciate his kindness and sweetness. I could feel the warmth of his body against mine. He was definitely shocked at first but then he hugged back placing one of his hands on my head.

"Wow, you really can't keep your hands off me, can you? I don't really blame you, I am just that hot," he said.

I pulled back instantly and scoffed, "Oh, puh-lease! I've seen better."

He smirked at me and said, "You look cute when you're trying to lie."

I raised both my eyebrows, "How can you say that? You have never seen me lie."

He grinned back at me. I stuck my tongue out at him and looked outside the window. I could feel Ethan's steady gaze on me, the car behind us honked signalling us to move.

*

The car stopped outside my house and I sighed while unbuckling my seatbelt. I turned towards Ethan.

"Ethan, Thanks a lot for the entire day, it was really sweet of you," I told him with a sweet smile on my face.

He smiled back at me and said, "I know, I know. Just don't get used to it, I don't want a crazy girl stalking me and expecting me to hang out with her all the time."

I grinned back at him and rolled my eyes.

The day in the mall was actually really fun. We ate a lot! Ice cream, tacos, chips and got some dinner later. I bought a new Nicholas Sparks book too.

Ethan pulled into my driveway and I noticed that the main room light was on. I cringed and sighed, I had to face my mom.

Or I didn't have to! A smile grew on my face and I stared at Ethan. He looked confused and raised his eyebrows.

"Do you know how to sneak into a room through a window?" I asked with excitement.

"What? Oh no, there is no way I'm helping you sneak into your house just so that you can ignore your mom, Ash," he said sternly.

"But why?" I whined loudly.

His expression didn't change a bit. Oh great, now I have to convince him! I could try flirting but I'm not one of those bimbos who could get what they wanted by batting their eyelashes.

"You're just scared," I told him in hopes that he would deny that and help me.

"What the hell! I'm not!" he defended himself. Bingo! It worked.

"I dare you."

He looked me in the eye and unbuckled his seatbelt, opened the door and started walking at our uneven lawn. I felt a big, mischievous grin forming on my face. Jumping out of the car, I started running towards him. He stopped and looked up at my room window.

"Is that your room?" he asked looking at me.

"Yup."

"Ash, if anyone catches us, I swear I will bury you alive myself," he threatened.

I snorted and said, "Even if someone does catch us, what will they blame us for? Sneaking into my house?"

He rolled his eyes. "Okay, I'll help you get a grip on this pipe and then you can climb up on your own."

I nodded and walked towards the pipe with Ethan, he placed his hands together to let me step on them and grab the pipe. I managed to start moving on the pipe. I had to thank my mom for forcing me and taking me to the monkey bars when I was young. Who knew it would come in handy?

I looked down and freaked out by the distance between the ground and me, I should've just agreed with Ethan and gone through the front door.

Ethan noticed my fear and smirked, "Scared sweetie?"

'Hell Yeah!' I wanted to reply but I just said, "No, I'm good."

I continued climbing and found myself getting closer and closer to my window.

Wait a minute! What if I locked my window from inside? Holy Shit! No, there was no way I was going to go back down this pipe!

"Don't worry; I'll catch you if you fall. After all, I'm your knight in the shining armour," he cooed.

"Keep your voice down! If my mom comes out, I'm screwed. I'm good enough with one slap," I said without thinking.

"She slapped you?" he asked.

"Not the kind of conversation I want when I'm hugging a pipe, Ethan!" I said with sarcasm laced on every word.

"Fine, fine! Now will you hurry up. I need to go back!" he said, clearly annoyed.

"No one asked you to stay!" I snapped at him.

"I know, but I can't let my Rapunzel climb a pipe alone, can I?" he replied, I bet he must've have smirked.

"Rapunzel didn't climb pipes," I whispered loud enough for him to hear.

"Whatever," he replied.

I reached my window and slowly opened it. Relief washed over me, the window was not locked. I climbed in and sighed. I turned and look out of the window while placing my hands on the windowsill and leaning outside to look at him.

I heard my phone ring and Ethan's name flashed on the screen. I furrowed my eyebrows and accepted the call.

"I have no interest in yelling and having a conversation with you," he said while looking up at me.

I chuckled and replied sweetly, "Thanks a lot for today."

"Yeah, sure, I've got to go now, I'll see you in Chemistry or English?" he answered back, clearly uncomfortable.

"Yup." I replied with a small smile on my face.

"Night."

"Good night, Ethan," I replied waving at him.

He started walking towards his car and pulled out of the driveway. I looked at the car turn at the end of the street and closed my window and went to change.

I had received a ton of messages from my mom but I didn't bother reading any of them.

I fell asleep shortly after reading a bit of my book.

A/N- Heey! I'm soo sorry for the late update! It's just that school started and there's too much pressure, you know?  

Well, to make up for it this is a longer chapter than usual :) 

So, I tried to potray a sweeter side of Ethan :)  

if you guys liked it, please vote! and comment :D

love you guyss! <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

BLUSH By Soniya

Teen Fiction

209K 9.7K 44
Ashley Summers is everything a girl wants to be. She's confident, intelligent, talented and so damn gorgeous. She has a life one could only dream o...
398K 7.8K 43
"I have a deal to offer you" he says while going through his phone. I look at him confused and questionably. "Okay?" "The deal is if I make you, laug...
29.6M 505K 68
"I'm the sexy guy in school, and all the ladies want me. So don't act like you don't. And try not to make it seem like a surprise Princess because yo...
37.9M 1M 75
In which I fall in love with my brother's best friend. ***** "Don't pretend like you don't feel anything." His voice is low, sending shivers down my...