The Glorious Triumph - Previo...

By emy1999

Grey Carson is South Portland High School's nerd and outcast, bullied by everyone. Caster is the anonymous un... More

The Glorious Triumph
~The Characters~
1: Daily Life
2: Ass Was Served
3: Snooper Trooper
4: Hump Day
5: One Secret Down
6: Damn Aunt Danielle
8: Psychic Aunts
9: Run Boys
10: Fight Night Part One
11: Fight Night Part Two
12: Alive
13: Televised
14: Hoping For The Win
15: Homecoming
16: Falling Into Place
17: Grey Space
18: Separation
19: Not Gordon Ramsey
20: Eternal Slumber
21: Upon Arrival
22: Questions And Known Answers
23: What Family Should Be
24: Going Through The Motions
25: Confessions
26: Crunch Time
27: The Run Down
28: Even On Break It's Not Break
29: Incomplete
30: A Hopeful Start

7: This Is How I Roll

15.5K 486 234
By emy1999

Grey's POV

~~~

So, I actually did join the soccer team as manager. There are still tryouts but I already know who made or didn't make the cuts. Most made JV or freshman but Kevin Michaels got Varsity. And I'm pretty proud of him. He's really humble about his skills but if there were scouts looking at our soccer games, he could go pro. He was fast, almost faster than Tyler Otto. And he had stamina. So he's great for varsity midfielder. The coach, Coach Ben Olsen, actually was a pro and coached the D. C. United team. And then I'm there so the team is in good hands this year. Today, is Wednesday, September 13th, 2016 in good old South Portland, Maine. This place was old but being on the shore, I really didn't care.

Lemme go all history lesson on you. In 1630, it was settled upon, and grew in size quickly. In 1724, it was raided by Native American Indians. t was established in 1895 as a town then as a city 1898. It's in Cumberland county. Now let's add tragedy because every place has something sad in it's past. On July 11, 1944, U.S. Army Lt. Phillip "Phee" Russell was attempting to land his Douglas A-26 Invader at the Portland-Westbrook Municipal Airport. However, Russell lost control of the plane and crashed into a trailer park in South Portland's Brick Hill neighborhood. Nineteen people were killed and twenty people were injured — mostly the families of South Portland shipyard workers — making it the worst aviation accident in Maine history A Long Creek Air Tragedy Memorial was eventually erected to commemorate the crash and honor the victims, but not until 66 years later. Okay there I'm done geeking out.

Coach Olsen blew his whistle hard and everyone stopped their drills. "Alright, boys. Listen to your name and position. If you aren't called, no complaints. Pull your pants up and leave and better luck next year. Okay, Miss. Carson."

I cleared my throat and fixed my glasses, "All right. Junior Varsity first. Vincent Hewitt, Left Center Defense. Tucker Aylmer, Right Forward. Caleb Lyon, Center Midfield. Justin Brannon, Right Center Defense. Emmett Cook, Left Forward. Andy Cook, Center Forward." I paused as they cheered excitedly. "Next, Varsity. Kian North, Left Defense. Freddie Warren, Right Midfield. Neal Dukes, Left Midfield. And last but not least, Kevin Michaels, Center Midfield. All Freshman are on the Freshman team with Coach Shaw."

"If you didn't hear your name, please leave now," Olsen looked at me giving me his car keys. "Grab the bags."

I nodded and walked off the field and unlocked the trunk for his red 2016 Shelby Mustang GT500. Such a beautiful car. Inside were three large black trash bags that were stuffed with uniforms. I easily lifted all three out and slung them over my shoulder onto my back. I walked back to the field, adjusting the grip a few times to make it look like it took more strength out of it than it really did. I dropped them on the ground and gave him back his car keys. "Okay, Freshman you're up first," Coach Olsen shouted and I opened the bag that said FR.

"Strudwick, #16. Daniels, #6. Hinrichs, #23. Tipton, #17. Warner, #25. Synder, #28. Odell, #19. Shelby, #11. Major, #8. Sala, #7..." For each one, I handed them a maroon Adidas backpack with their uniform inside with warm up gear -sweatpants and hoodie.

"JV! Hewitt, #10. Aylmer, #18. Lyon, #9. Brannon, #27. Emmett Cook, #14. Andy Cook, #15." They JV bags were also maroon, but they had the school's name and on the front pocket.

"Varsity! North, #18. Warren, #12. Dukes, #13. Michaels, #5." Varsity had black backpacks with silver trim and their number in silver and bolded. They were definitely the more expensive ones. As I gave Kevin his back, he smiled happily.

"Thanks, Grey," he said quietly.

I smiled back and the boys conversed quietly in their groups. The former players already had their bags and were wearing their warm up clothes for as long as practice had started last week. Tristan, Tyler, and Mark welcomed Kevin, Freddie, Kian, and Neal happily. The Varsity team was small and had only 18 players. JV and Freshman had around 30. Coach blew his whistle again, disrupting social time. "Those who have odd numbers, congrats, you're on the starting string. Even numbers, you will play too, but you're replacements. I'll let your Captains talk to you."

Tristan and Tyler walked up with the JV Captain, Luke, and the JV Co-Captain, Chris. Tristan cleared his throat, "Hey there guys, and girl. I'm Tristan Walsh, Varsity Captain. This is Tyler Otto," Tyler waved with a goofy grin. "He's my Co-Captain. This year, we're planning to get to at least states. Last year, we lost in the finals. And the class of 2017 will get that State Championship title. And when we do, let's win and get to states.

Varsity, you have a lot on your plate. JV, you were close to getting onto varsity, you need to fight for your spot from here on out. Freshman, you need to hone your skills for next season. Although Tyler and I won't be here to cheer you on next you, Luke Foster and Chris Murphy will bring you there, so make them proud." Tristan smiled at me with enthusiasm. "Our friend and manager here, Grey Carson, is a Senior too and helped coach with our training program for the year." The boys on the Freshman and JV looked at me skeptically. The Varsity boys grinned waiting for the challenge. "Oh, don't look at her like that boys, she's a smart one. She knows how to break you or make you."

"Yeah, she has a 130 IQ I bet. She knows her shit," Tyler chuckled.

"It isn't 130," I said quietly but he was still able to hear.

"Then what is it?"

"160," I said muttered.

His eyes widen, "I stand corrected. Smart as fucking Einstein. Boys, we got a genius in our presence."

Coach coughed, "Getting back to the point, Coach Shaw will have the Freshman practice right after school here. JV and Varsity, you go to the track right after school."

"Ther track? Why? This is soccer, not cross country," some kid on the JV said.

"So you get stamina. Grey and Tyler thought it would be good."

"Of course Tyler would think it's good. He runs every other season," the same kid said back. I think it was David Hopper.

"Hopper-" I was right! "Do you want to be off the team before you even played a game?"

David quieted down and shook his head. "Thought so. Anyway, you'll be running there with Grey supervising. I'll be about an hour late. Then after the Freshman team finishes at 4, you come here and we work on your technique."

I looked at the Varsity boys and held back a grin as they jumped excitedly, as if RedBull ran through their veins. JV and Freshman looked at them scared for their safety and worried about their mentality. Well, I definitely have my work cut out for me.

"Well, it 6:02, you guys and gal may leave. Don't forget, go to the track. See you tomorrow," Olsen said as he grabbed his stuff.

Kevin lunged at me and hugged me tightly, "I made starting string on Varsity! Isn't that awesome, Grey?"

"Yep, congrats!" I laughed hugging him back.

He smiled with eyes that sparkled. So adorable. "I didn't think I would get in!"

"Of course you would," Tyler interrupted. "You almost beat my mile time."

"Yeah, you're really good, dude," Mark smiled.

"Sorry for nailing the ball in your face," Kevin apologized.

Mark waved him off, "No problem. My beautiful face is made of steel, you can't destroy it. Even when I'm 6 feet under for a century. You'll still see my beauty." He swung his arms around him and gestured to his face. Not gonna lie, he is very, very attractive.

"Stop being such an egotistical ass," Tristan sighed and shoved him. Mark laughed dismissing the comment.

"That's a big word there," I joked quietly.

"Hey, don't think I'm unintelligent. I got a 1680 on the SATs. That's pretty good," Tristan refutes.

"I got a 1850," Kevin said proudly and as I got to speak, Tyler cuts me off.

"We know you did better than us, don't need to say it, 160," he said using my IQ as a nickname.

I rolled my eyes dramatically. "I wasn't going to gasconade about my scores. I'm just highly proficient in school."

"Okay hold up," Tyler goes in front of me with his hands up. "First off, what the hell did you just say?"

I try recalling what I had said, "I'm just proficient in school."

"Before that."

"I wasn't going to gasconade-"

"Yeah, there. What the hell is gas-con-ade?"

"Got it!" Mark said looking down at his iPhone 6 plus. "It means extravagant boasting."

"Well, with that fancy ass word, you certainly seem to be gasconading," Tyler said curling his lip slightly annoyed.

"Gasconade is a noun, so you can't make it a verb. Unless you were using anthimeria, then I guess it's okay," I said thoughtfully.

"Ugh! I give up!" Tyler gives me a dirty look, then it changes where I can see his happy dimples on his brown skin.

"We should go get something to eat!" Mark suggested fired up.

"Yeah! Tristan can drive us."

"Sorry, my car only fits five people. And even though it can fit that many, it's small. Who else drives?" Tristan said pulling out his keys to his black BMW 328i. So pretty.

"I can," I volunteered. I pull out my truck keys and press the remote controlled start button. The roar of the engine makes some of the guys back up surprised. "Who wants to come?"

"I'll go," Kevin smiled and Mark nods repeating it.

"All right, where do you want to go?" I asked pushing my glasses up on my nose after they slid down.

"Let's get Chinese," Mark suggested.

"Get Chinese food at a sea port?" I asked with a small smile.

"Uh, yeah. What's the problem with that?"

"Nothing. Chinese food it is."

"Wait, never mind I want sushi from Yosaku. They got bomb sushi," Mark smiled.

"Fine, let's get sushi," Tristan sighed giving in. "I'll drive Ty there and lead the way. I know a shortcut from here."

"Okay, let's go then," I walk ahead to my truck. Kevin and Mark talked about something but I was zoned out not understanding a word they said. I opened the door to the driver's side climbing in. Suddenly, I was aware of every word they said after a battle cry.

"I call shotgun!" both Kevin and Mark screamed outside of the car and sprinted over. Kevin won though by a long shot. He was a lot faster. But Mark could jump. Mark lunged out using his goalie stretch and just grabbed Kevin's ankle in time. When Mark tugged, he fell down face planting onto the pavement. They both started cursing at each other saying how they should get the front seat. I sighed heavily finally annoyed.

"None of you are getting shotgun, see ya," I say through the open window. They looked up at me pouting giving me sad eyes. "Get in the back seat or I'm leaving you both," I threatened.

They both reluctantly got into the backseat. "I would've been in front if it weren't for you," Mark muttered.

"No, I would've. Grey thinks I'm better than you."

"Lies!" Mark shouted.

I pinch the bridge of my nose annoyed. "God, I feel like a mother." I look into the rearview mirror and looked at them, "Buckle up."

"Yeah, yeah," Mark chuckled and I waited until I heard both clicks for the seatbelts.

"Now we can go," I smiled and started to drive out of the parking lot. I turned on the radio and Lost Boys by Ruth B played quietly but audibly. I sang along then both boys joined. Needless to say we sang like dying turtles but oh well. It was fun.

Next was Ruff Riderz Anthem by DMX. Followed by Work by Rihanna. And at that song, I think it brought chaos.

At the parts that were incredibly hard to understand and made no sense whatsoever, Mark screamed, Kevin screamed, and I waited for my ears to stop bleeding and my eyes to stop crying. What the hell is wrong with these boys?

Mark then accused Kevin of something, I don't know what, and then they return to killing each other. Everything is wrong with them apparently.

Once we got there and I parked, I was out of the truck quickly and speed walked away from them. When I heard them catch up, I sighed, "I won't drive you two at the same time ever again. I promise that."

"You can still drive me to and back from school though, right?" Kevin asked quietly, hoping I wouldn't leave him.

"Yes, yes I will. Just not the two of you at once. It gives me a headache." Relief floods me when Tristan pulls up parking next to my truck. "Oh thank god, Tris, take your Mark."

He raised an eyebrow getting out of the car confused, "My mark?"

"Yes, your Mark Cox. I can't stand him with Kevin right now," I run my hands through my messy hair and sigh heavily.

"Why? Mark what did you do?" Tyler asked laughing.

Mark pouts and Kevin looks down at the same time. "They're fucking toddlers. Come on, I just want to eat," I groaned hurriedly leaving ahead of them. The boys followed as I went into the small restaurant. There was an empty sushi bar and I went to it sitting in one of the wooden bar chairs. I was welcomed by a Japanese man with grey hair and a happy smile.

"Welcome to Yosaku, Emiko will help you," he said with a thick accent. He was replaced by the girl I assume to be Emiko.

"Hello. My name is Emiko, is there something you would like to drink?" she asked handing me a menu.

"Sprite please," I said my eyes roaming around the menu. I hardly noticed the boys' appearance until Emiko pointed them out.

"And what would you boys like to drink?" she asked giving them each a menu as well. Kevin, Tyler, and Mark agreed with Dr. Pepper while Tristan said Sprite as well.

"What are you getting, Grey?" Tristan asked as the boys talked to each other loudly.

"Tekka-don Dinner. What about you?" My eyes didn't leave the menu, making sure that's what I wanted.

"Sushi Tsuru Dinner, I think," he smiled.

"I want the Sushi Lame Dinner!" Mark smiled.

"Sashimi dinner for me," Tyler puts down his menu.

Kevin stayed silent and stared at the menu. I lean over, "Have you ever had sushi?" He shakes his head. I point to the Chirashi Dinner, "It's a variety of fish so it might be good to pick out a few."

He shakes his head, "The heart says the Unagi-ju Dinner." Patrick's favorite dinner.

I shrugged, "Alright you might get sick though."

He straightens up sitting taller, "Nope, I'm a big boy!"

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, suit yourself."

Emiko returns and with our drinks. I start to sip on my Sprite quietly as I listened into the boys' conversations.

"If you were a vegetable, which would you want to be?"

"When a cow laughs, does milk come out of its nose?"

"If you ate pasta and antipasti during the same meal, would you still be hungry?"

"If you drop soap on the floor, is the floor clean or is the soap dirty?"

"If you were born deaf, what language would you think?"

Questions like these are what started to swarm and make them think hard. Possibly harder than they ever had in their life. I sighed perplexed as well but refused to show it. Rifuto! P.S. that's I refuse in Italian.

"Guys, the food is here!"

At once, like show seals at a circus, all their head went up and they were focused like it was life or death. "Tekka-don?" Emiko asked. I raised my hand and she smiled walking over with it smiling.

"Arigatogozaimashita," I smile. (Thank you)

She smiled back impressed, "Doitashimashite." (You're welcome)

The boys look at me confused until their plates were given to them. Their focus returned to their meals. I hold my hand up to stop them from devouring the food so quickly. I put my hands together and bow my head, "Itadakimasu." (Enjoy the meal). They shrugged copying it then ate. More like inhaled the food. Meanwhile I ate politely using the chopsticks talking to Emiko and the owner in their native tongue. "Jibun no shoen no tame no watashi no shazai." (My apologies for their manors).

"A shinpai wa karera ga haruka ni teinei hotondo no kokyaku yori mo arimasen." (Oh no worries they are far more polite than most customers).

I laugh shaking my head in disbelief. That is really hard to believe. We conversed for a bit while the guys forced everything into their stomachs. "Watashi wa mochi motsu yo ni shite kudasai kibo shimasu." (I would like to have mochi please). Emiko nodded and asked about what did I think the boys would like to eat. "Anata ga motte iru subete no dorayaki." (All the dorayaki you have). She laughed nodding then shouted to the cooks in the kitchen who looked at us impressed. Both for the fact that I spoke Japanese -just further shows how bored I get- and how the boys ate their meals so quickly without dying. The fact that they haven't died, that really is impressive. 

I chuckled as Emiko handed me a small plate of mochi and a small cup of green tea. "Sore wa anata no tame ni jiyudesu." (It is free for you).

I thanked her and she nodded as a few of the other waitresses brought the guys a large stack of dorayaki. Mochi are pretty much little doughnuts and dorayaki are pancake sandwiches with filling. Needless to say, they finished the dessert quickly, loudly, yet surprisingly cleanly. By the time it came for the bill, you can see the guys worrying, they forgot how expensive this shit is.

"I'll pay for my meal but how many of those pancakes," Kevin said holding his stomach.

"I don't know! I think I had five of those suckers," Tyler groans.

"Dude, you didn't have that many!" Mark shook his head.

"Yeah, Mark, you hate most of them!" Tristan pouts then lays his head on the counter. 

I sighed taking my wallet from my backpack, "Guys, I got it." I pulled out two $100 bills and smiled at the Ben Franklins before handing it to Emiko, "Keep the change, thank you for dealing with them."

She looked at them amazed and bowed, "Thank you."

I laughed bowing back in respect, "No, thank you."

"You had two $100 bills?" Tristan asked shocked. I nodded. "You didn't need to have paid though..." he drifts off. 

I shake my hand, waving him off, "No problemo. Just won't always pay for you guys."

They nodded understandingly. "Guys, let's go bowling!" We all groaned in response to Mark.

★・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・・★・・・・・・・★

Published May 5th, 2016. 3233 words

Added some Japanese because why not, might as well use the language. Yeah, I know Japanese enough to get by. Any other languages? xD

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

771K 19.4K 69
You know the normal cliche of the nerd secretly being a street fighter and the bad boy just so happens to find out? Well this is like that.... But no...
17.2K 2.5K 45
Meet Sophia Williams, a typical good girl with good grades, good looks, and good at almost everything. A girl who hides so many secrets behind that s...
5.4K 143 12
*COMPLETED* "Kiss me if I'm wrong, but dinosaurs still exist, right?" I just rolled my eyes. Maya Prescott is a girl who has an amazing ability to f...
Fighter girl By Jade

Teen Fiction

791K 20.4K 28
I'm a fighter, I fight for the the things I want, I fight for the little family I have, I fight for everything I believe in, but most of all I fight...