Princess Darrel Crawley | A D...

By Writographer

"14 years ago...I had an affair with Lord Grantham. You are not Lady Grantham's child." "We just want you to... More

Introduction
Chapter One | The Mysterious Telegram
Chapter Two | The New Heiress
Chapter Three | Lord Grantham's Shame
Chapter Four | More surprises
Chapter Six | Parents
Chapter Seven | Siblings
Chapter Eight | Siblings II
Chapter Nine | The Queen and Robert
Chapter Ten | Back Home
Chapter Eleven | Plotting
Chapter Twelve | Decisions
Chapter Thirteen | Ill
Chapter Fourteen | Decision Time
Chapter Fifteen | Love Life
Chapter Sixteen | Paul vs. Sebastian
Chapter Seventeen | Thomas and Darrel
Bonus Chapter | Darrel's Childhood
Chapter Eighteen | Our Spot
Chapter Nineteen | Planning
Chapter Twenty | Leaving Day
Chapter Twenty-One | Heated Discussion
Chapter Twenty-Two | The Role She was Born to Play
Chapter Twenty-Three | The New Princess
Chapter Twenty-Four | The Prince and Princess
Chapter Twenty-Five | Paul
Chapter Twenty-Six | The Announcement
Chapter Twenty-Seven | Fathers
Chapter Twenty-Eight | Missing
Chapter Twenty-Nine | Talking
Chapter Thirty | Family Dinner
Chapter Thirty-One | Meeting the Family
Chapter Thirty-Two | Prior Engagement
Chapter Thirty-Three | A Prince, a Princess, and a Jealous Paul
Chapter Thirty-Four | Falling Apart
Chapter Thirty-Five | Stand by Her
Chapter Thirty-Six | An Olive Branch
Chapter Thirty-Seven | Power and Admiration
Chapter Thirty-Eight | The Ball
Chapter Thirty-Nine | Threats
Chapter Forty | Threats Pt. 2
Chapter Forty-One | Royal Bodyguards at Downton
Chapter Forty-Two | Lord Grantham's Rage
Chapter Forty-Three | The Spanish Prince Returns
Chapter Forty-Four | Irresponsible Royals
Chapter Forty-Five | Abdicating?
Chapter Forty-Six | Scared
Chapter Forty-Seven | Back to London
Chapter Forty-Eight | Rumours
Bonus Chapter | Love Letters
Chapter Forty-Nine | Arguments
Chapter Fifty | Our Spot Pt. 2
Chapter Fifty-One | Sebastian and JF
Chapter Fifty-Two | Love & Found
Chapter Fifty-Three | Darrel & Sebastian
Chapter Fifty-Four | The New Spanish Prince
Sequel Announcement

Chapter Five | London

2.1K 52 8
By Writographer

A few weeks later, everyone was in the dining room, having breakfast. Even Cora, who had a meeting at the hospital that morning. Edith and Rose enjoyed having breakfast with the others when they were at Downton to spend more time with the family, and Mary did it out of habit since she usually had agent work to do afterwards. Robert had the paper and suddenly threw it down on the table, letting out an aggravated groan.

"What is the matter, Papa?" Edith asked.

"Her Majesty put a photo of Darrel in the papers," Robert sighed.

"What?" Darrel exclaimed.

Robert tossed the paper at his daughter, who picked it up and read the article on the front page: 'Introducing: Princess Elizabeth Darrel Crawley of Wales.'

"Elizabeth?" Rose questioned, looking over Darrel's shoulder.

"It was the Queen's idea. So of course, I do not call her that," Robert explained.

"Where on Earth did she get the photo?" Mary added.

It was a recent photo taken at Edith and Bertie's wedding. Someone cut the rest of the photo so it was only Darrel. Even though it was not an overly fancy dress, Darrel did look quite nice in the picture, so it was not the worst one for the public to see.

"She is the Queen of England," Darrel shrugged, assuming that explained everything.

"This is such a mess!" Robert informed.

"I wish you had not put us in this mess," Cora snapped. "It is all your fault."

"Cora, if I had not had that affair, Darrel would not be here."

"Stop playing that card! It's childish and pathetic! Yes, I love Darrel, but that is no excuse for what you did. You tore this family apart!"

"Mama!" Edith gasped, surprised that Cora had such an outburst of rage.

Robert stormed out of the dining room, angry at the Queen for announcing to the world that Darrel was the heiress. He also could not stand hearing Cora continuously blame him for what happened. He hoped that one day she would forgive him and they could finally move on.

Cora got to her feet and turned to Carson, "Carson, please have Mrs Hughes set up a bedroom for His Lordship. Preferably in the bachelor's corridor."

"Yes, m'lady," Carson bowed, then left.

"I hate that you are fighting because of me," Darrel sighed.

"It is not your fault, darling," Cora assured.

"But it is. If I was not born..."

"Darling, it is not your fault that you are alive. Please do not blame yourself."

Cora left for her meeting, but Darrel was unconvinced that it was not her fault. Edith started to reassure her younger sister, but Darrel excused herself to go to school.

A week later, Darrel ate breakfast alone in the dining room. Mary, Tom, and Henry left earlier that morning to look at the pigs. Edith decided the previous day to go up to London to check on her magazine, and Rose decided to go with her to go shopping. Cora had her breakfast in the bedroom, and Robert had yet to wake up.

The door opened and Carson entered, "A letter for you, m'lady."

"Thank you, Mr Carson," Darrel nodded, taking the envelope from him.

"For what it's worth, m'lady; I think that you would be an excellent Queen."

Darrel smiled and looked at the letter which contained the following:

My dearest Darrel, or must I call you her highness?

Firstly, I offer my sincerest apologies for what is happening. This must have been a great shock to you and the rest of your family.

I write to you because urgent business has called my father up to London. With all the guards he insisted on bringing, I am afraid I cannot come and visit you. I am in London for a week and would love it if you could spare the time to come up and dine with me. There is so much we have to catch up on, and I would be honoured to offer some advice on the subject of being the Princess of Wales.

Sincerely yours,

Prince Sebastian Carlos of Spain

P.S. I saw your photo in the papers the other day, and you are still just as pretty as the last time we met.

Darrel smiled. She had not seen her friend in over two years, and it was clear that he had not lost his charm during that time.

"Mr Carson, I am going to London for a few days," Darrel informed, turning to the butler who was in his usual position by the door. "Can you have a car ready to drive me to the station in an hour?"

"Of course, m'lady," Carson nodded.

"Thank you."

Darrel got to her feet and left the dining room to pack a bag.

A few hours later, Darrel arrived in London and went to her Aunt Rosamund's house in Belgrave Square. Rosamund was the only one at the house, as both Edith, Bertie and Rose were out.

"Hello, dear," Rosamund smiled, hugging her niece.

"Hello, Aunt Rosamund," Darrel nodded. "Thank you for letting me stay here on such short notice."

"It is my pleasure. It is nice to have more people in the house. So, what brings you to London?"

"Sebastian's in town, and he asked to dine with me."

"I see. The Princess of Wales with the Prince of Spain. How proper."

"Please do not behave like that," Darrel protested. "Sebastian and I have been friends for years."

"Yes, but things are different now," Rosamund reminded.

"That is not true."

"Is it not different now? A month ago, you were Lady Darrel Crawley, the daughter of an earl, but probably not good enough to be a queen. Now, you are Princess Elizabeth Darrel Windsor, soon to become Queen."

"Not anytime soon!"

"Darrel, use your common sense. Sebastian wrote to you because your title is different. He can express interest, and he has every right to do so."

"We are friends," Darrel said firmly and left, not wanting to listen to her aunt's theories any longer.

Later that afternoon, Darrel was in a cafe having a late lunch when someone approached her. He was a handsome, tall, 16-years-old man, with light brown bushy hair and dreamy brown eyes. He was in a suit, and all women in the cafe turned to look at him. Darrel stood up and was about to curtsey, but he held up a hand to stop her.

"I do not want to draw attention to myself," he whispered, sitting down, "Father does not know that I left. I am supposed to be in the study looking at documents."

"You have a study whilst you are here? Where are you staying?"

"Well, the King of Spain is here in England. And since we have guards with us, and the press is always following us, it is hard to stay at a hotel. So, where do you think we are staying?"

Darrel let out a heavy sigh when she realized what Sebastian was implying.

"Did Her Majesty order you to write to me?" Darrel asked.

Sebastian looked at the floor, clearly ashamed of himself, "I was going to write to you anyway because I heard about your situation. However, she did encourage me to convince you to come to London."

"Was there an emergency that your father had to deal with?"

"Well, he did have plans to visit England, and then Their Majesties invited us to stay with them."

"Unbelievable. I assume they expect you to convince me to see them while I am in London."

"I always knew you were clever m'lady. They may or may not expect you to dine at Buckingham Palace tonight."

Darrel stood up, "I'm only doing it because I do not want you to get in trouble for not convincing me."

"Thank you, I greatly appreciate that."

Darrel rolled her eyes, not wanting to see Their Majesties again, but she knew it was inevitable.

Sebastian stood and offered her his arm, "Your Highness."

Darrel took it, "Your Highness."

They laughed and then headed outside, where a car was waiting for them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4K 115 20
"They think I am just some princess they can control. That they can just order me what to do and have it done! I'm not a servant." Princess Emmalyne...
18.2K 361 57
[UNDER HEAVY EDITING] The little boy that Robert and Cora Crawley hoped for has safely arrived, making him the heir of Downton Abbey and not Matthew...
1.5M 69.9K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...
112K 3.1K 119
"š“š”šž š°šØš«š„š š¢š¬š§'š­ š¬š©š„š¢š­ š¢š§š­šØ š šØšØš š©šžšØš©š„šž ššš§š ššžššš­š”šžššš­šžš«š¬. š–šž'šÆšž ššš„š„ š šØš­ š›šØš­š” š„š¢š š”š­ ššļæ½...