The Protective Heart ✔️

By KalaniMaeLove

Crystal Hatfield is a bombshell blonde with big blue eyes. Despite her looks, she can fend for herself since... More

1. Protecting her from the creep
2. Protecting her from the creep...again
3. Protecting her from falling
4. Protecting her from a cut
5. Protecting her from unhealthy habits
6. Protecting her from fan girls
7. Protecting her from loud music
8. Protecting her from her wall
9. Protecting her from being afraid
10. Protecting her from her emptiness
11. Protecting her from going too far
12. Protecting her from his motorcycle
13. Protecting her from too many emotions
14. Protecting her from starving
15. Protecting her from depression
16. Protecting her from her balloon floating away
17. Protecting her from his kiss
18. Protecting her from sickness
19. Protecting her from being alone
21. Protecting her from the cold
22. Protecting her from her anger
23. Protecting her from holding back
24. Protecting her from Nikki
25. Protecting her from canceling
26. Protecting her from absolutely nothing
27. Protecting her from confronting too soon
28. Protecting her from wrong conclusions
29. Protecting her from himself
30. Protecting her from not having anyone to give a gift to
31. Protecting her from wondering 'what if'
32. Protecting her from a lonely future
Epilogue

20. Protecting her from acknowledged feelings

7.9K 347 3
By KalaniMaeLove

The next week, I caught up on my homework and studying. My job, on the other hand, didn't go quite as smoothly. My boss wasn't too impressed that I had missed almost a week of work but she got over it. She didn't have much of a choice since I was one of the only waitresses left there.

I was excited for the weekend since Declan bought tickets for Bridget, Bailey and I to go to his match tonight and tomorrow we were going on a triple date to the ice festival. Bridget was bringing Grant, and Bailey had Ray. The thought of all of us dating at the same time made me laugh but I was also grateful. Being able to share this experience with them was the best feeling in the world and I couldn't wait.

"You almost ready?!" Bridget called to me. I was in the bathroom, finishing up my makeup. I took a big breath and then opened the door, revealing the finished product. Bailey and Bridget both nodded in approval as I walked out of the bathroom. Isabel was working so we had the dorm room to ourselves.

"How are things with Ray?" I asked Bailey. She immediately blushed and looked down at her hands.

"Good." She said quietly and I smiled.

"I'm glad." I told her and she looked up with wide eyes, obviously surprised by my response. I laughed uncomfortably.

"What?"

"You're not angry?"

"No! I...uh." I was at a loss for words.

"Declan has completely changed her." Bridget filled in and winked at me. It was my turn to blush.

"Whatever! We're going to be late!" I yelled and then headed towards the door. They both giggled at me and then followed. We took my car for the 5 hour drive to the arena. It was just starting to snow when we got there. I smiled as a snowflake landed on my nose and melted immediately.

Declan had texted me and asked us to meet him in the locker room before we found our seats. We made our way to the locker rooms but there was a large man standing in front of the door wearing a uniform and I assumed he was a bodyguard.

"Hi, Declan asked us to come see him before the match. Crystal Hatfield." I told him. He nodded and then opened the door for us. We walked in to see Declan sitting on a bench, earbuds in and iPod sitting in his hands. He looked up and as soon as our eyes met, a big grin spread across his face. He stood up as I ran up to him and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Good luck!" I said as I embraced him. His arms linked around my waist and held me tightly.

"Thanks. Cheer for me?" He asked. I pulled away and nodded. From behind me I heard someone clear their throat. I let go of Declan and backed up to see his dad standing by the door that led outside. His face was hard to read and I felt a blush cover my cheeks. This was the first time I had seen his dad since thanksgiving dinner. I didn't know how to act around him now.

"Declan, you need to focus. You're breaking the routine." His voice was concerned and scolding.

"I know, I know." Declan answered and then sighed as he turned to me.

"See you after the match?" I smiled and nodded. Bridget and Bailey both wished him luck and then we waved and left. After we found our seats, we talked until the lights went dim. A spotlight appeared on the announcer and the crowd silenced.

"First, welcome to the ring, Liam Ralston!" A man came from the hallway to the left. His blonde hair was spiked and his green piercing eyes were set on the ring. His song came blasting over the speakers as the crowd cheered.

I Stand Alone by Godsmack

His face made no emotion as he walked to the ring. Once he reached it, the announcer spoke again.

"Now, let's hear it for his competitor, Declan Murphy!" The crowd immediately went into an uproar just like they always did for him. I, along with everyone else, chanted Declan's name. As soon as he came out of that door, my heart skipped a beat but then I was on my feet, hands around my mouth, cheering as loud as I could. His eyes searched the crowd and when they found me, he winked, sending my heart into overdrive. I couldn't help the big stupid grin that fought its way onto my face. As he started walking up to the ring, I cheered while his theme song played loudly over the shouting.

"And the world's gonna know your name
And you'll be on the walls of the hall of fame"

After Declan stepped into the ring, he slid his gloves on and his dad wrapped his wrists. Once they were done, the competitors walked to the middle of the ring and met the referee. He said a few words to them. They both nodded and then returned to their respected corners. After a few moments, the bell rang loudly, silencing the crowd. They started circling each other slowly, sizing one another up. I watched Declan's eyes as they analyzed Liam and his movements.

Declan made the first move. He put just a little more weight on his right foot before switching back to his left and taking a swing. Ralston easily dodged it and swiftly moved in and hooked one arm around Declan's torso, using his free hand to punch him in the ribs. I inhaled sharply as I watched the scene unfold.

Declan managed to get out of Liam's hold and shoved him off as he recovered from the blow. Ralston moved in to take advantage of his moment of weakness. He raised his arm and swung to punch Declan in the face but he got his arms up in time to block it. Liam backed up quickly and waited for Declan to make a move.

He moved slowly as he straightened up and took a step back, taking deep breaths. He was obviously discouraged. The competitors stared at each other for a moment before Declan walked slowly towards Liam and they started circling each other again.

"Come on, Declan!" I found myself yelling encouraging words.

I saw Declan start calculating his movements again. The next moment, Liam leaned in and attempted to punch Declan in the same spot in the ribs again. Declan blocked it with his forearm and then quickly lifted his left leg and kicked Ralston in the hip, knocking him to the ground. Declan didn't waste any time as he knelt down quickly and landed a punch to Liam's face. The man laid limply on the ground for a moment before the bell rung out loudly. The crowd erupted into applause and cheering, chanting Declan's name again.

A relieved smile spread across on Declan's face as his hand was pulled into the air by the referee. I was standing, chanting Declan's name like the mad hatter, more excited than anyone there for his victory.

"And the winner is Declan Murphy!" The announcer roared over the microphone. After a while, Liam finally got up and both competitors went back down their hallways and disappeared. I turned to Bridget and Bailey to see them both staring at me with wide eyes.

"What?" I asked, feeling a blush color my cheeks.

"Girl, you got it bad!" Bridget exclaimed.

"What do you mean?"

"You're in love, you idiot." Her words made me look down at my feet in embarrassment.

"Oh my god! You know!" My blush grew darker as I tried to avoid her gaze.

"Yeah..." I said quietly. I looked up finally and walked past them.

"Come on, I told him we would go see him after the match." I said, trying to avoid the brewing conversation. They followed me back down the halls to the locker rooms. Once the bodyguard opened the door, I ran in the room and up to Declan, jumping into his arms. I wrapped my legs around his hips and kissed his cheek.

"Congratulations!" He grinned and held onto my thighs, holding me up.

"Do I get a reward for winning?" He asked and wiggled his eyebrows. I laughed at him and then leaned in to whisper in his ear.

"Tomorrow night at the festival, I'll give you your reward."

"Goldi, you are too cruel." He whispered back. I slowly got down and then whipped around, my back towards him. I turned my face just a tad so I could see him out of the corner of my eye.

"See you tomorrow night." I winked at him and then walked off with my girls.

Once we were back in my car and driving back home, Bridget started talking.

"Crystal, I'm happy for you."

"Thanks."

"No, seriously, Declan is good for you. I'm really glad you let him in. I'm proud of you." I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye and found myself smiling.

"I'm proud of me, too. I mean, I never thought that I would let a man into my life and I was fine with that. But now that I have, I'm really glad that I did. Declan has really shown me a whole new side of life I didn't know was there...and it feels good." I realized after a moment how much I had just admitted.

"Crystal." I heard Bailey's voice from the backseat and I looked in the rear view mirror at her.

"Yeah?"

"How did you know?"

"How did I know what?"

"How did you know you loved him?" A cute blush covered her cheeks and I smiled.

"I guess, it was just this persistent feeling that I always had when I was with him. It wouldn't go away no matter how hard I tried. Finally, after the funeral, he said something that made me realize my feelings for him."

"And what was that?" Bridget asked.

"He told me he would always protect me even when I don't want him to. It just all came together when he told me that. Even if I didn't want him to, he would always be there, protecting me. He didn't realize it at the time but his persistence meant more to me than he would ever be able to understand." I found my eyes tearing up at the memory and I blinked to keep my self from crying.

"You were always strong, Crystal. And I've looked up to you for that...but I think I admire you now more than ever." Bailey's words struck my heart and I let one stray tear fall down my cheek.

"Thanks, Bails. That means a lot." I choked out and then focused back on the road.

The night sky was lit up with the stars and I smiled as I stared at them.

Declan Murphy; my own star, shining bright and lighting up my dark world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 12.2K 37
[totally unedited and my first time at writing so I hope you guys bear with the flaws and read if you are going to] "I don't know why, but I tend to...
23.6K 367 12
Previously known as: 'best mistake.' Book 1 of the 'You' series. VERY SLOWLY EDITING BOOK! It's a mess. And editing is very long so yeah it's gonna g...
257K 6.3K 21
Crystal Peters is the 'nerd' of the school. Everyone there bullies her: cutting, hitting, and words all come her way at Crystal prep. Ironic much. W...
41.6K 2.1K 71
"Aww that so sweet." "Sweet?!?" scoffing, " he is stubborn and rude." "He was sweet and helpful." Maria encountered. "You don't understand he just c...