Fallen

By unrealismbooks

Inspired by William Shakespeare's ROMEO & JULIET On earth, living among humans are a group called the Fallen... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Epilogue

Chapter Eight

1.3K 72 0
By unrealismbooks

Folding his hands on the thick wooden tabletop, Jonathan was quick to begin.

"Before we start, I want to again thank you for your willingness to oversee this matter. I understand that all parties involved, the archangels included, are ready for a swift resolution."

It was Ariel who responded. "It is true, that our Lords are tired of this matter. I am sure I do not need to remind you that no other affair in our history has been this length in reaching a conclusion. Most other issues resolved with a much more expedient pace."

"Which is why," Jonathan added quickly. "We wish for this matter to end on our side just as much as your Lords. We too are tired of the matter, and of our separation from our true forms."

"We assure you, every effort will be made to give fair and just resolution through this council,"

"Thank you,"

Although the group was small, it felt as though he room was crowded. Much like the final meeting with the messengers only a week before, this same gathering held a similar tension; a weight of anticipation. Only six people were granted access to this meeting, and yet, it felt like much more.

The three Angels, each wearing human clothes for the first time since their arrival, sat across the table from the three Fallen representatives. Jonathan, Anne, and the first council Steward, Julian, met them eye for eye. Unlike previous meetings, everyone at this table appeared equal. The same mortal clothes, the room now the small, confined meeting room of the Angel quarters, rather than the vast expanse of the Summit hall.

The Angel quarters were in fact a large home, much like that of the highest Fallen council members. A tall, two story build, with white facing against wood trims. The younger in the community referred to the latest aesthetic as 'California sheik', whatever that meant. Balconies in each bedroom, each facing over the gardens, with limited direct views of the busy Los Angeles cityscape that the community knew would be distasteful to the Angels. Each room was kept in a neat, simple manner, much in accordance with the differing needs of the occupants. There was no television. No internet. None of the additional benefits and extravagances of human life were made available here, as most was considered overindulgences, and should not be relied on by the pure.

"Now, having said this, we must address the issues which currently prevent our verdict turning in your favor."

Jonathan nodded, although his face was tight. "By all means."

"We were made aware of many aspects of your case before our arrival. This was in no way intended to sway judgment, nor was it a means to make us biased in any way. I am true to my word that we are an impartial jury in this matter, and that our notes were made purely to better understand the history of your crimes, as well as the sins committed since arriving on Earth." Ariel informed.

Miles was quick to interject. "But we admit, much of what was noted in your history was also demonstrated in various ways at the gathering you hosted only two nights ago."

Anne balked. "How so?"

"First, despite the requirements and requests, alcohol was in the premises."

Jonathan opened his mouth to protest, as Ariel raised his hand.

"I am sure you were not aware of this, Lead, as it was an act committed by some of the younger in your group. We know the lengths you went to in your effort to ensure prohibition, but not all followed your example."

"Beyond that," Miles added. "Is the matter of several of your group. You are already aware that not everyone is as strict or as dedicated to the cause as others. Some resist while in the compounds, but are quick to abandon those practices while outside these walls. We are not unsympathetic to the challenges that come with resisting temptation. Despite our purity, we know the draw and pull of sin. But we relent, as we are expected. There are some in particular that so very little to match our example."

"Can you provide us with the names?" Julian asked, leaning forward keenly. "So that we may address this issue directly with those individuals."

Ariel smiled, as though expecting this question.

"There are many," he stated. "But we are able to provide a list, if you so wish."

"We do," Julian asked, holding his ground. "And we will see that they are redirected accordingly."

Ariel's gaze moved to Jonathan, who had remained rather silent during this particular topic.

"I must warn you, that not all names on our list are of other families."

Jonathan remained composed. "I am prepared."

"Are you?" Miles asked. "Your daughter is one of the sinners. As is your nephew, Xander Verland. Your sisters niece, as well as other young Fallen within your line."

When Jonathan did not respond, Miles added.

"We do not say this to be cruel. Nor do we attempt to condemn the group for their actions. It has, of course, been the case in previous meetings on the matter, but we hope that by allowing a more clear reason, more clear guidelines, that those who have caused the fault of all will be guided back successfully."

"And we thank you for the opportunity," Anne added quickly, as she felt Jonathan tense.

"I feel, while on the subject, we must discuss the matter of Xander Verland." Michael spoke up. "His behavior at the gathering was more than telling of his nature."

"And for that, I apologize again," Jonathan said, offering a contrite bow of his head. "As I said, Xander is impulsive. He fears your appearance is a final judgment, rather than jury. He is not one to hold his tongue, a fault that has been addressed."

Michael smiled. "I take no offense to his confrontation. In fact, I respect his fervency. But it is acts such as that which, in the future, may sway the final decision. He needs to learn to control that emotion, as emotion, while understandable, is a weakness in many matters. Emotion is what leads us a stray, controls our otherwise strong mind, and risks our better judgment. He must learn that while opinion is necessary, the manner in which it is voiced shows true growth and worth."

"I have spoken to him," Jonathan assured. "But I will be sure to pass along your comments. I am afraid, since the death of his mother, he has lost his ability to harness this emotion. Possibly with the suggestions and clarifications you have provided, he will better see the error of his ways."

"That is all we ask," Miles said. "We know this will be a progression, and one that will take time. We do not expect to see perfection in a day, nor a week. It is that growth and effort we will be watching for, just as much as a final product."

"Representatives such as ourselves have been dispatched to the other main communities of Otherworld here on Earth, all with the same purpose." Ariel added. "Each community will be judged individually, so please do not fear that any fault in Istanbul will be judged here in Los Angeles, and so forth."

Julian's eyes widened. "We were not aware,"

"We did not expect you to be," Miles smiled. "As we said, each community is seen individually. But it also an effort on our Lords part to understand the influences of Earth as a whole. An experiment, of sorts."

"An experiment?" Anne questioned, uncertain.

"Perhaps experiment is the wrong term, but yes, in a way. As we learn the influences of each community, the way culture has affected it, we too are a piece in this game. To see, in some ways, how the pure are influenced by this world."

As a round of nods circled the table, although no one seemed confident. The idea that their redemption was being treated as an experiment, a game, was upsetting. But also, they had to admit, the Angels were too at risk. Would they fall to the same pressures as the Fallen did centuries ago?

Julian was the first to continue, as he asked what else could be expected of them, to ensure redemption. The Angels seemed to confer with each other in a silent look, before Ariel answered.

"There is little more than the effective and willing change in those who stray that we seek. However, in our time here, we do wish to better understand this world. It is, of course, our Lords greatest creation, despite the weakness of its inhabitants. We have never ventured beyond our gates, and feel this is as much a learning opportunity for ourselves, as well as the will of our Lord. We are open to experiencing humanity within reason, and ask you to consider which opportunities are best suited to our...unique situation."

Anne sat up, quick to respond. "I assure you, there are many wonderful experience of Earth that do not risk your purity. I would be happy to comprise a list, as well as arrange escort for those outings you wish to accept."

"That would be most appreciated," Ariel greeted. Turning back to Jonathan, he continued. "We will keep you up to date on your thoughts and observations, and ask that you, too, extend us the same courtesy with regard to the progress of the group beyond what we may see."

"Of course,"

"But please remember," Michael added. "That we see more than we say. Just as we know fallacy when spoken. Do not think that we will not know if a story is false. We offer you candor, as we expect the same. It is, of course, a sign of purity."

Resisting a glare in the direction of the Angel, Jonathan nodded.

"I swear to you my candor," he voice, tense despite his efforts at control.

As he stared at Michael, who met his gaze unfazed, he felt a dislike for the Angel he did not feel for the others. He could not place its source, but it was there. Perhaps in his dismissive nature, or in his irritating control.

All he knew, was that he couldn't shake the feeling that Michael may be the one to seal his fate.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.5K 2.4K 36
Hate, knowledge, loyalty, and love - everything has a price, but the highest is power. What would you pay? » ✦ « Jordan wished there was more to lif...
4.2K 423 33
Angels, a supernatural being that help people in the time of need. Fallen Angels, Angels that have fallen out of heaven and now live on Earth. Some h...
12.3K 1.2K 50
Some things are stronger where they have been broken, other things shatter with the slightest pressure. Loyalty, secrets, and souls can do both, but...
50.6K 4K 39
❝ Let's rule a Kingdom, shall we? ❞ •○• When human slave turned Fae Handmaiden, Cara Arnel found herself in the Kingdom she had initially been fleein...