A Change Of Heart

By DreamOutLoud23

I hated Zane Khan. I hated the way he was so cocky and sure of himself. I hated the way he always knew... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28: Part One
Chapter 28: Part Two
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 34

7.7K 359 106
By DreamOutLoud23

"Hey, did you do the English homework?" Austin asks, as he walks me to my locker.

"Do you really need me to answer that question?" I ask him. Since when don't I do my homework?

"Right, see I knew you did." He smirks.

"Okay." I turn to look at him.

"So can I see it?"

"Austin!" I exclaim.

"What?" He hunches his shoulders.

"Why didn't you do it? It was super easy."

"I know, I know. But you see...I had a lot of things going on last night—"

"The only thing I remember you doing last night is playing on your Xbox."

"Because it was important!" He says which causes me to scowl at him. "I'm serious! I was playing live with a few friends and these other kids joined and we had to kick their asses."

"You are unbelievable, Austin. Try telling Mrs. Anderson that, because that was the worst excuse ever."

"Come on, Zuri! You're my sister...wait, my own twin. We were in the womb together and you can't do me a favor?" He begins to grow defensive. "After all of those times I came to pick you up from wherever—"

"With a car that we are supposed to share, but rarely do." I remind him.

"Yeah, whatever. I do so much for you and this one time I just need you to do me this favor you can't do it? I can't even call you my twin right now." He holds his hand up at me.

"Oh shut up," I roll my eyes and push his hand down. "I never even said I wasn't going to give it to you."

"So you're going to give it to me?" His eyes widen with hope.

"Sure, I guess. But don't make it so obvious that she'll know that our work is the same." I warn before reaching into my book bag to get my homework out.

"Duh. I know how this goes."

"Ahh, right. I forgot I have a professional slacker on my hands." I say, causing him to laugh as I pass him the paper.

"Thank you. You're the best, sis."

"Of course I am," I smile, causing him to roll his eyes. "What would life be like if I weren't the studious one?"

"Weird as hell," He huffs. "Oh, here comes your man candy."

"Eww, don't say that." My face frowns in disgust, causing him to laugh.

"Hey," I hear Zane's voice before I actually see him. I turn and he is at my side with a friendly smile.

"Hey." I smile. I snake my arm around his waist and pull him in for a tight side hug, but don't let go after I am done squeezing him.

"Okay, so I'm gonna head to the library now so I can get this done." Austin says.

"Um, when am I getting my paper back?"

"You have English the last period of the day, right?"

"Yes."

"I'll give it to you at lunch."

"Alright. Take care of my paper. I don't want to see any wrinkles." I warn, but mostly only as a joke.

"Now come on, Zuri. Have I ever given you a reason to not trust me?" Austin smirks.

"Yes," I frown, causing him to laugh. "Besides, my twin senses will start tingling and I will track you down if I have to."

"At least you'll be putting those senses to use. Catch you guys later." He waves before rushing down the hall towards the library.

"It still baffles me that you two are twins." Zane says, as he watches Austin rush down the hall and stops to talk to his friends.

"You say that every time." I laugh.

"Cuz it's true."

"Well...you and me both." I agree, causing him to laugh.

I return back to locker to open it and get my history textbook. Once I am finished with placing my heavy book into my book bag, I close my locker and turn to look at Zane. He is focused on his phone. His eyebrows are furrowed together and he looks upset.

"Everything okay?" I ask him.

"No." He looks up from his phone and rolls his eyes.

I am grateful that he tells the truth instead of trying to hide his true feelings from me. But hearing him say no also worries me. Ever since I found about his mother almost two weeks ago, I am always worried about him. I think that's why he didn't want me to know, but I can't help it. I'm a natural worrier. And since he told me, I'd say we are doing better than ever.

"What's wrong?"

"Sabine can't watch my sisters for me tonight so I have to call out at work. And they were going to pay me extra tonight for some celebration they're having at the diner." He sighs. He runs his hand over his hair and exhales heavily.

"I'll watch them." I say after a few moments of silence.

"What? No, I won't ask you to do that." He looks at me as if I am crazy before shaking his head.

"Why not? I think I could do a pretty good job at babysitting."

"Zuri, you don't have to do that for me. I'll figure something out myself." He leans off of the locker and we begin to walk down the hall.

"I don't see what the problem is," I say. "I told you that you didn't have to do this alone. I want to help in any way possible."

"I don't want to include you in my own problems. Sometimes you just have to sacrifice certain things for others." He mutters.

"You don't have to sacrifice things when you have someone willing to help you," I point out. "Why is it so hard for you to accept my help?"

"Because it's who I am. I like doing things on my own."

"So you're going to let your pride get in the way of earning money? Wow."

Zane sighs. "I'm going to figure something out by the end of the day."

"And if you don't?"

"I'll let you watch them."

"Geez, you make it sound like I'm the worst option." I frown.

"I'm not trying to make it sound like that at all."

"Too late." I mutter.

"I swear I'm not. I just...I don't like including you in my problems."

I don't feel like expressing to him once again that I am here to help in any way, so I don't even respond to his words. "Let's just drop it. I have to get to class, anyways."

"You're not mad, are you?"

"No," I shake my head. "I'm just going to respect your decision."

Zane sighs but doesn't speak. I don't understand the problem with me watching his sisters for him, but whatever it is he needs to let it go. It's not that serious. It's not like I have plans after school anyways. The fact that he thinks me helping out is not okay just doesn't sit well with me. We reach my classroom and I turn to say good bye.

"I'll see you at lunch."

"I have to make up an assignment with my trig teacher." He says.

"Okay, so I'll see you in class then." I mumble and avoid eye contact.

"You can be honest if you're upset." He huffs and roll his eyes.

"You know what, fine," I look into his eyes. "I find it extremely annoying that your ego shines so bright that you won't let me do one little thing for you. I mean, you claim you need the money yet you won't take the help that you clearly need when it's right in your face. So yes, I am annoyed, Zane, but it doesn't matter because I'm not the one missing out on extra money. But then again, your ego is probably too big to even comprehend what I am saying."

"Wow," He looks angry as he clenches his jaw. "Before I let my old ways get to me, I am going to get to class."

"Maybe you should." I reply. I know what he means by his old ways and I know that I don't want to hear his harsh words. I would much rather he keep them to himself.

My lips are pressed tight together and stare at him. I didn't mean to be so harsh, it all just came out. I guess I just felt so offended and upset that he claims he trusts me, yet I can't do something so simple for him. I am his girlfriend for God's sake, not some random girl. And yet no matter how many times I remind him of that he just does not care because he's so stubborn.

It's really hard trying to help someone who thinks they can do everything on their own and it's draining. Maybe I overreacted a bit, but I just want him to see where I am coming from. But apparently he didn't because he had to stop himself from firing back at me. Maybe this whole thing was childish, but I just want him to understand the way I feel.

I head into the classroom without another word and go straight to my seat. I sigh and put my head down.

Why is that boy so difficult?

<>.<>.<>

It is now the end of the day and I keep thinking about Zane. Of course I didn't see him at lunch and he didn't even come to biology, which actually worried me more than angered me. I tried to text him so that I could speak with him about what I said but he won't reply to me.

It's extremely annoying because I know he received my message, he just won't reply. It wasn't even like we had a big argument for him to act this way. It was just super annoying. I think he is with one of his teachers right now so it's not even like I can find him.

This frustrates me and I stand at my locker for a few extra minutes, hoping he will come. But when I realize his jacket isn't in here, I have a huge feeling that he is not here. And if I don't see his car in the parking lot I swear he will hear a whole earful from me. I dial his number and when I call, it goes straight to voicemail. Seriously?

I slam my locker shut and head towards the exit where the school parking is. A part of me is really nervous that he left me here. He wouldn't do that to me, would he? I am also really upset that he would be this careless and not even tell me that I have to find my own way home. I hurry across the parking lot and let out a breath of relief when I see him lounging against his car.

It is sunny this afternoon so he has his sunglasses on and he looks like he is modeling for a GQ catalog. I would take the moment to appreciate how good looking he is, but not right now. I am angry. When Zane spots me walking, or more like storming his way, he removes his sunglasses and stands up straight.

"Hey."

"Hey! Don't you hey me!" I say before swatting at his chest as hard as I can.

"Why are you hitting me?" He asks, as he tries to defend his body from my hits that don't stop after the first time.

"Because I thought you left me." I swat at him repeatedly.

"Why would I leave you?" He asks, as he moves away from my hits.

"Because you've been ignoring my calls and texts. And I'll have you know I was ready to apologize for getting so angry and everything but I take it back because you put me through hell today. And then you didn't even show up to biology and—"

"Whoa, chill out! I can explain." He shrieks.

"Oh, you better because I am mad at you!" I yell as I jab my finger into his chest. Zane looks me in the eyes without a word for a few seconds before he bursts out laughing. I frown deeply at him. "What's so funny?"

"You," He chuckles. "You are so small and it's cute when you're angry."

Small? I am not small! Need I remind him that I am 5'8?

"It's not funny. I am being serious." I glare at him.

"In an adorable way, of course."

"I am not trying to be adorable. I am trying to be intimidating." I frown deeper and stand up straight.

"I know. That's why it's so funny." He laughs. I go to hit him again, but instead he grabs my wrist and pulls me to his chest. "Stop hitting me."

"No! You deserve to feel my fury." I try to get away from him, but he doesn't let me out of his strong grip. My face is smooshed against his chest.

"No, I don't." He laughs, which makes me want to hit him again even though I can't.

"Let me go!" I yell.

"Not until you hug me back." He says, squeezing me tighter.

"No!"

"Then I'm not letting go."

"Let go!" I groan. And although it was a pleasant smell coming from his body, I wanted him to understand how I felt and I was not going to succumb to his sweet and charming ways.

"You know the rules." He reminds me.

"You are so annoying."

"The feeling's mutual, babe." He laughs.

It takes me a few moments but I eventually hug him back and he ends up swaying us back and forth before releasing me. I push against his chest and try to hide my smirk as I say that he is evil.

"I understand that you are mad at me, but let me explain myself and then I'll let you decide whether or not you want to continue to be upset with me."

"Fine," I agree. "But can we do it in the car? It's cold out here."

"Sure." He nods. He unlocks the car and I head over to the passenger's side and don't waste any time getting in. I watch as he starts the car and turns up the heat so that we can warm up.

"You were saying?" I turn to face him as I hold myself to preserve the heat.

"First, I didn't get any of your texts or calls because my phone died and I forgot to charge it last night. Second, every time I went to the locker thinking you would be there, you never were so I couldn't find you. Third, I wasn't in class because I was called to speak with one of the guidance counselors about my situation and I couldn't contact you."

This is exactly what I get for overreacting. His excuses sound pretty acceptable and reasonable, but still. I can't help that I was under the impression that he was ignoring me and ditched me. But now that I hear why he was ignoring me it makes me feel slightly better. Zane continues before I can speak.

"And lastly, I am not angry with you and I thought about what you said. I did let my ego get in the way and I just needed time to realize that your intentions were nothing but from a good place. I have to constantly remind myself that you aren't like me and that you are a good person."

"So what are you trying to say?" I ask lowly.

"That I would appreciate it if you could watch my sisters for me. The extra money would come in handy and help out with this month's rent. Plus, I checked my ego and I thought it wasn't so bad of an idea." He looks up at me. "Listen, it wasn't that I didn't trust you with my sisters because you would probably do a better job at babysitting them than I can, it's just I hate feeling like a burden on people."

"Well I can agree that I am pretty great with children and maybe the elderly as well..." I say, causing him to roll his eyes and for me to laugh. "I would love to watch your sisters for you."

"Thank you. And I'll pay you—"

"Umm...no you won't." I shake my head.

He looks appalled that I declined him so quickly. "Yes, I will."

"No, you won't," I shake my head. "You don't have to pay me anything."

"Are you sure? I can—"

"Listen, Zane. I don't do things for people I care about for money. I do it because I want to. So just drop it."

"Fine."

"Okay." I smile.

"So are we good?"

"We always were." I reach over to hold his hand and give it a reassuring squeeze.

"Are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure you were just attacking me outside."

I can't help but laugh. "That was when I thought you were avoiding me."

"Hmm, sure." He purses his lips. "You had a pretty firm hit. Don't tell me you used to box as kid, too?"

I roll my eyes and ignore his comment. "So what time do you need me to babysit?"

"I have to work at 6 but I'm going to go pick up my sisters now." He says, and puts the car in drive and backs out of the parking space. "I thought maybe I could introduce you to someone until I have to go to work."

"More friends?"

"Not exactly," He shakes his head. "Someone more important to me."

"Who?"

"My mother." He smiles but keeps his eyes on the road.

I can't help but gape at his response. "You want me to meet your mother?"

Zane nods.

"Now?"

He nods again.

"As in...today now?"

"Yes," Zane laughs. "I promised Zola and Zoë we would visit her today after school and I figured now would be a great time to bring you along—only if you want."

I am shocked that he is actually inviting me to meet his mother. This is a huge step in our relationship whether we both know it or not and I am in no way going to decline this. I want to meet his mother, and I want him to feel as comfortable with me as possible.

"Yes, I would love to meet your mother." I smile.

"Really?" He looks at me with the happiest eyes ever, and my body fills with glee.

"Yes, really." I nod. He lifts our entwined hands, kisses the back of my hand, and holds it close to him as he continues to drive.

I wait in the car as Zane goes inside the school to get his sisters. I turn on the radio so it can calm my nerves. I'm so nervous to meet his mother, but at the same time I am excited. I can finally put a face to this woman. And it could possibly even help me understand their situation a bit more.

"Hi, Zuri!" I am taken out of my thoughts and greeted by two younger voices.

I turn around to look at Zola and Zoë as they climb into the car. "Hi, how was school?"

"It was boring." Zoë sighs.

"It was great!" Zola exclaims, which causes me to smile. "We got two snacks during snack time and extra time for recess!"

"Ah, those were always the best days." I agree with her, thinking about the good old days from the first grade.

"I know right!" She exclaims happily. "And you know what the best part of my day is?"

"What's that?"

"I get to see my Mommy." Zola smiles. "She said she can't wait to see me and I can't wait to see her."

"Aw, I know your mommy misses you a lot." I nod with a smile.

"I think I miss her more." She says matter-of-factly.

"I'm taking Zuri with us to meet Mom." Zane announces.

"Yay! She's going to love you." Zoë assures me.

"I hope so." I tell her without sounding too nervous.

"And she's going to be watching the two of you since I have to work tonight." He adds.

"Cool. Are you good at math? Because I'm so stuck." Zoë asks, leaning forward so that she can see my face.

"Yeah, I'd say I'm pretty good at it. I can help you."

"Zuri has the brains and I have the beauty." Zane grins.

"Ha! Yeah, right!" I laugh.

"Zuri has both beauty and brains," Zoë says. "You're the unfortunate one to only have good looks. And I'm only saying that because we look alike."

"Ooo you just got owned by a 12 year old!" I exclaim, causing the girls to giggle.

"Haters gonna hate." Zane says, as he puts his sunglasses on. But I take them off his face and put them on mine.

"What you gonna do about it?" I say in a playful tone.

"You just wait." He warns, though he has a playful grin on his face.

The car ride is pretty easy, and I just remain chill as I listen to Zoë and Zola sing along to a song on the radio that Zane hates. And then when I hum a little to the next song, they both beg me join along. So the three of us sing along to the radio and Zane pretends to be annoyed although I see the small smile that creeps up on his face. We are all having such a good time and it makes me so happy that I have been able to meet such great people. When we get to the hospital, I get a call from my mother so I step aside to see what she wants.

"Hey, Mom." I answer.

"Hey, Zuri."

"Is everything okay?"

"Oh yeah," She says in an assuring tone. "I just got out of work early and I'm at the grocery store. Is there anything in particular you want for dinner tonight?"

"Actually...I'm not sure if I'm going to be home for dinner." I say as I glance up across the room at Zane and his sisters.

"Oh, really?" She has a weird tone to her voice.

"Yeah. I offered to babysit Zane's younger sisters for him while he works tonight."

"Well that was very nice of you." She sounds pleased by my explanation.

"Yeah and he's taking me to meet his mother."

"When?"

"Now. We just got to the hospital. I am so nervous to meet her."

"Don't be nervous, Zuri. I am sure she is going to love you."

"I just know that this is a very sensitive thing with Zane and I would hate for her to hate me."

"Oh stop. She's not going to hate you," My mother tells me. "I'm actually very surprised he's taking you to meet her. I think it's sweet."

"Yeah, he's really opening up to me now." I smile.

"Dad and I have to host the holiday party for the company this year and since it is coming up next weekend why don't you invite him over?" She suggests.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, why not? I would love to get to know him better and considering you spend so much time with him I feel like I ought to know this boy a little better."

"Okay, I'll definitely ask." I agree. "But I'll talk to you later, Mom. I don't want to keep them waiting too long."

"Okay, Hun. I'll talk to you later." She says before hanging up.

I hurry over to them and apologize for the wait. Zola is super excited to see her mother and she beats all of us to the elevators. Zoë tries to tell her to calm down but it's obvious that it's not registering in Zola's head. She was just happy and wasn't going to let anyone in the way of it. When we get to the seventh floor, Zane reaches for my hand and I grasp it almost instantly.

"Does she know that I'm coming?" I ask Zane.

"No, but it's fine."

"She won't think I know intruding, will she?"

"What? No." He gives me a weird look.

"Okay, well how should I address your mother?"

"Well her name is Claire so by her name, I guess."

"Okay," I say, even though I think that's a little too informal for the first time meeting her.

"Relax. You're acting like you're about to be interrogated. It's not that serious, Zuri."

"Okay," I let out a breath of air. "So my parents are hosting a holiday party and my mother wants you to come."

"Oh, really?"

"Mhm." I nod.

"Okay then I'll be there. Unlike you, I'm not afraid."

"Yeah, because you've met mine already. More than once, actually."

"And because I'm a natural charmer." He winks.

"Yeah, that's exactly it." I scoff at his words. "And besides, our parental situations are completely different."

"Well...I won't argue with you on that one." His lips form a line.

Zoë and Zola make it to the room before us and I hear them talking to their mother. When we finally get to the room, Zola is already on the bed next to her mother, smiling at her with the happiest eyes a little girl could have. And when their mother notices our presence, she looks up at us.

"Hello there." The older woman greets with a warm smile.

Claire was a very petite and looked very fragile. She was pale and wore a scarf on her head. She had piercing blue eyes and a smile that lit up the room. She was absolutely beautiful and the way she looked at her three children with such adoration just gave me an indescribable feeling inside. I finally get to meet Zane's mother.

"Hello." I wave with a smile.

"Hey, Ma." Zane brings us forward and he leans over Zola to kiss his mother on the cheek.

Claire brings her hand up to rest it against Zane's cheek. Zane smiles and places his hand over hers. "How's my favorite boy doing?"

"I'm great, Mom." He replies as she releases him from her embrace. She stares into Zane's eyes, unconvinced. "I promise you that I am."

"Mama, that's Zuri. Zane's girlfriend." Zola says, pointing at me.

"Zola, pointing isn't nice," Claire says. "And yes, I was hoping it was her. Come closer, Miss Zuri. Don't be afraid of little ol' me." Claire starts to chuckle lightly and her three children smile at me.

I step closer until I am standing beside Zane. Claire holds her arms out for me and I lean forward to embrace her. She squeezes me tightly against her chest and rubs her arm up and down my back.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Zuri," Claire says, once she lets me go. "Zane has told me so much about you."

"Really?" I look at Zane with surprised eyes and I can see that he is trying to stop himself from blushing and turns away from me.

"Of course," Claire nods. "So it is nice finally to meet you."

"It is great meeting you, too."

"I'm sorry it has to be in this predicament, but hey. You never know where life is going to take you, right?" She laughs.

"You don't have to apologize, it's completely fine." I shake my head.

"Mama, guess what happened at school today!" Zola exclaims, causing her mother to flinch from the abrupt loudness.

"Zola, we told you to stop talking so loudly in her ear," Zoë scolds. "She's right next to you."

"I didn't realize," Zola face grows sad. "I'm sorry, Mama. I didn't mean to hurt your ears." 

"It's okay, baby. I know you're just excited." Claire says, caressing her daughter's head. Zola leans up to repeatedly kiss her mother's ear and apologizes again. "Now tell me about your great day at school."

Zane and I move chairs closer to the bed and sit down as we listen to Zola tell her mother a funny story about what happened at school. Zoë doesn't think it's funny and just rolls her eyes before she tries to tell their mother a funnier story, but Claire laughs at both their stories equally. So it becomes story time and I listen to their funny family stories as they all take turns explaining to me and reminiscing on fun times.

The stories are actually funny and have me laughing, especially about the ones about Zane (that secretly embarrass him). But then Zola complains that she is hungry and Claire asks, or more so begs Zane to take his younger sister down to the cafeteria and buy her a snack. I decide to stay in the room so that I can listen to more stories that Claire and Zoë tell me about.

"Growing up, Zane was the sweetest person ever. But as he got older, he and his father, Kiran, couldn't see eye to eye a lot of the time which caused him to behave differently." Claire explains to me. "I don't know if he told you, but their father passed away in a car accident."

"He mentioned it to me before." I nod.

"The two of them get into a huge argument and Zane said a few hurtful things to his father. He stormed out the house and claimed that he wasn't coming back unless his father was gone. Kiran went to go after Zane, but instead was hit by a drunk driver." Claire explains. I watch as Zoë looks down and holds her mother's hand as she explains. I know it may seem rude, but I am unable to keep eye contact with her as she explains such a sad story.

"Zane never forgave himself for what happened, and still won't. And ever since that day he changed so much and I never thought I would see him get better and it scared me. But ever since he told me about you, I've seen a change in him."

My head snaps up and I look into her pale blue eyes. She notices my surprised facial expression and smiles.

"He's happier, he seems more alive. Almost anything would trigger his anger and he would just lash out at everyone around him. He was so closed off, not even I could get to him." I watch as her face grows grim. "But then as the weeks went on, I noticed he was slowly changing. And that's when he told me about you."

"It's true," Zoë nods and looks up at me. "He's been changing a lot and I think it's because of you."

"I don't know what you're doing to my son, Zuri, but please don't stop," Claire begs. "He didn't think he was ever going to be happy and was even suicidal at one point. But you...you do something to him that makes him happier. And whether he knows it or not, it's affecting all of us as well. It's great seeing Zane so happy because of you and I fear that without you he will go back to his old ways."

Wow.

I had no idea I had such an effect on Zane. So much of an effect that it affects his family as well. I knew that he wasn't always the nicest person per se, but I didn't know it was so bad. I had no clue that he was suicidal, though it doesn't really shock me. I know how he feels about himself, but I didn't know that because of me he is changing. And it feels good inside to hear that I've helped him realized the good in life. I want to be the reason for his happiness for as long as I can possibly can.

"I didn't know that I had that effect on him."

"You do, and it's so nice to see. I can tell that you're a great girl and just continue to being great." She reaches for my hand and gives it a small squeeze.

"Thank you so much." I smile and hold her hand back.

Soon, Zola and Zane return. And when Zane asks us what we've been talking about, the three of us lie and tell him it was just girl stuff. Zoë laughs, which made Zane suspicious, but he didn't question us on it too much which was good.

We end up staying until around 5 because Zane has to get ready or work. Overall, it was very nice visiting his mother at the hospital. The atmosphere was great, and to see how happy they are all to be around each other really warms my heart and shows you the importance of family.

And when a nurse comes in to check on Claire and take her vitals, I stand off by the door because I feel it is a bit personal. We were getting ready to leave and I silently watch as they all say good bye to their mother. The nurse says something about Claire improving, which makes everyone happy. But watching them say good bye was really hard. Zola begins to cry and asks her mother to call her before she goes to bed to make sure she will be okay. Claire promises her and watching her speak and console her three children overwhelms me.

I step out of the room because I don't want them to see me tearing up. It's so easy to feel bad for people and their situations, but seeing first-hand intensifies those feelings. I can see how much they all love each other and the thought of them breaking up hurts me. Putting myself in their shoes shows me how brave they all are. Zoë and Zola are so young and they have already lost their father. Claire is such a great woman and to have her taken away from her children who need her is a terrible thought.

"Hey, are you okay?" I hear Zane's voice. He comes up to me so I quickly wipe away my tears before his sisters can see me.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure," I nod. "Are you guys ready?"

"Yeah. The nurse had to kick us out, anyways." He rolls his eyes.

"Oh."

"Are you sure you're okay? Was this too much for you?" He asks anxiously.

"No, it's okay. I swear." I give him a reassuring smile. I intertwine my fingers with his and rest my head on his shoulder as we exit the hospital.

<>.<>.<>

"I'm back! And with pizza!" I hear Zane announce from the front door. I look away from the TV and see him at the door with a pizza box in his hand.

"Finally! We were starving." Zoë groans beside me.

"Yay, pizza!" Zola exclaims, jumping up from the couch. "I missed my bedtime for this!"

"Yeah, you did." Zane agrees. "So after you eat you're going straight to bed."

"Fine." She pouts, causing me to laugh.

After the hospital, we returned to the house where Zane only stayed briefly to change into his work attire and leave again. I helped both of the girls with their homework, did my own homework, and played games with them. Zoë texted her brother, begging him to pick up some pizza for us and while we waited we decided to watch the movie Aladdin, which was a personal Disney princess favorite. The four of us go to the kitchen where I help serve them their pizza.

"Feel free to get you a slice," Zane says as he sits down at the kitchen table across from his sisters. "You deserve it."

Now that I could agree with.

I placed a slice on a plate and sat down beside Zane. "How was work?"

"It actually wasn't too bad," He shrugs. "I think it was because I was being paid double."

"Extra money tends to make people happier." I agree, causing him to laugh.

"So did they give you any trouble?"

"Nope, they were pretty great." I shake my head.

"Yeah, so you owe us frozen yogurt." Zoë tells her brother.

"Actually, I don't owe you anything. I let you both stay up late and I bought you pizza that you just 'couldn't live without'."

"Please?" She flashes him a cheeky smile.

"I'll think about it."

"Well if you do go, be sure to invite me because I do love frozen yogurt." I add.

"Of course. Instead of siding with me, you agree with them." Zane says, shaking his head.

"What can I say? I'm a sucker for a pretty face and frozen treats." I wink at him, causing Zola and Zoë to laugh.

"I think I'm going to stop bringing Zuri around. There's too much girl power when she's here." Zane says, causing me to scoff and push him playfully.

"That's exactly how it should be." Zoë tells him.

"Girls rule, boys drool." Zola sticks her tongue out at her older brother.

"That's right, Zola." I say and give her a high five, causing Zane to laugh. 

"So tell me, Zuri..." He begins.

"I'm listening." I smirk.

"After more and more of my life unravels, do you like me more or less? And you can be honest." He looks at me with nervous eyes.

"Well Zane, I didn't know how to tell you this, but I think you're really lame and I think I like you a whole lot less." I crinkle my nose.

His eyes widen and his mouth parts in shock though he looks amused.

"Just kidding!" I exclaim with a goofy laugh. "I like you so much more because you've opened up to me."

He recomposes his face and it is replaced without relief and amusement. "I like that answer much, much better." He mumbles before leaning forward to kiss me.

Both Zola and Zoë yell out an eww at our kiss, causing us to pull away.

"What?" I ask them.

"Pizza breath." Zoë crinkles her nose.

"Cooties!" Zola shrieks.

I laugh before kissing Zane again and listen to their sounds of disapproval and disgust.

Ah, how I love the Khan family.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

310K 10.1K 51
I finished washing myself and stepped out the shower. I screamed when I seen Quincy sitting on the toilet stool. I quickly covered my private parts w...
833K 37.4K 36
-KIND OF MATURE- "I wouldn't fuck you if you paid me." Well, at least my question is answered. He can get more punchable. We glare at each other, I...
3K 19 11
I should've known she would ruin me the moment I saw her. Women like her are made to destroy men like me. Given to me to start a war; I was too eager...
15.4M 410K 97
He was completely and utterly oblivious to everything that he had caused and she absolutely hated him for that. [UNEDITED] [DUAL POV] TW: eating dis...