The Essence of Noah (Muslim s...

Da Alt-ernative

Raised by an Egyptian, Muslim father and an Australian, non religious mother, Hana is brought up to figure th... Altro

Authors Note
Tip-Top
Albi
Noodles
Neighbours
Balcony
Boxes
Yiros
Non-fiction
Station
Toaster
Banisters
Floor
Walks
Souvenir
Logic
Letter
Coles
Tan-Lines
Skype
Leaves
Traffic
Shai
Yoga
Felafel
Prac
Coffee
Brick
Swing
Bottle
Footpath
Biographies
Mugs
Phone
Cool
Door
Steps
Books
Cushions
Knots
Volleys
Handle
Tap
Sandals
Judge
Story
Exam
Touch
Talks

Austen

1.9K 197 45
Da Alt-ernative

"Hey." I pick up my vibrating phone from the kitchen counter and answer, with a quick peak at the caller ID, and am greeted by Evan's voice.

"Hi." I reply.

"I think they're going to do it." A frown settles on my face, as I crouch down onto a cushion on the floor.

"Who?" I can hear a rustle in the background before Evan sighs.

"Henry." I roll my eyes at his unnecessary sarcasm. "Who do you think Hana!"

"I don't know!" Leaning against the cold wall, I look to my side and out the double doors.

"The government, the freaking government is actually going to do it."

"Are you talking about the waste?"

"Waste? You say it like it's some piece of biodegradable plastic. It's nuclear, Hana. Freaking nuclear."

"Okay, I get it, it's a big deal." I come quick to my own defence, at a topic I never cared to think much about.

"They're going to kill us."

"You're over exaggerating." I hold back a smile I hear Evan huff.

"Have you even been watching the news?"

"I don't have a TV, remember."

"Yeah well they're planning on dumping 'round Ceduna."

"Is that near Adelaide?"

"Three hours. But that doesn't even matter! They're trading lives for money!" I purse my lips as Evans words deeply settle within my mind.

"Wow."

"Yeah, no shit."

"So that's what you called for?"

"No. You finish mid November right?" He asks.

"Still remember Uni dates?" I smile to myself and can imagine the annoyed look on his face.

"Whatever.There's a protest march in January and we're going."

"Not a chance."

"Are you kidding? Where's your Adelaidian patriotism gone?"

"I'm not going to a protest Evan." I shake my head and stretch my legs.

"Your mum's going." Go figure.

"She'd never miss it."

"You're going. I'm not going to be a nuclear casualty. When I die. It's going to be Henry the eighth style."

"Of untreated diabetes or STD's from polygamy?"

"I'll tell you this Hana, dying of either of those is better than dying of cancer." Again, I roll my eyes and refrain from commenting. Astahgfirullah, is all I can think at this point. "You're going."

"Whatever."

~*~

Days pass by after my phone call with Evan and my walk with Noah. My mind occasionally goes back to Evan's concern about the nuclear waste dumping proposal, and frankly the more I think about it, the more concerned I become. I grew up in Adelaide, and haven't really thought about permanently living anywhere other than there, and it almost feels like the only option I ever had, is being taken away from me. I might go to the protest- maybe, I mean January is ages away.

I tidy my books on the book shelf and fold my prayer mat that I've made a habit of leaving on the floor, thobe and all. It's been a long day- the kind that let's you do things at your own pace, and even after you're done, it kindly offers you a few hours more. It feels strange, because I've never had much time to do nothing since moving, and now that I do, I deem it unnecessary.  I think it may be because I've almost reached the end of the year, and most of my assignments are completed and I've prepared for my upcoming tests and have started on exam revision- I've kept myself busy for the most part, and now I don't really have anything to keep me busy with.

Staring around the apartment but not taking anything in, I can't help but wonder if Noah's day seems to be as giving as mine, and if he'd like to chat on the balcony. A subtle smile forms on my face as I picture myself knocking on his door, asking if he'd like to hang and offering to make coffee. I shake my head at the stupid thought and rub my face. I don't have that kind of confidence, nor would I ever want to put myself in a situation where he may reject my offer. I'm happy with where he and I sit right now- we're 'cool' and I'm definitely cool with that.

I've decided to take mum's advice for the most part. I want to really get to know him better, I want to be sure that I like-like him, and be confident enough to tell Baba about him. If anything, I don't want this to turn out like some teenage love story that's one sided, over dramatic and ends with a life sentence of awkwardness between the two people. I don't want it Romeo and Juliet style either, but something simple, something mutual that will be ageless and only grow stronger with time. That's idealistic of course, but I want something along those lines- something to contradict my parent's lives.

From Noah's apartment, the sudden sound of a loud voice startles me and drags me away from my naïve thoughts. I take a couple of steps closer to my balcony doors and get a glimpse of Noah's balcony.

"Why do you always leave your doors open? Your place is freakin' freezing." I recognise the voice as Ed's.

"I like the fresh air." I smile when I hear Noah, and instantly I scold myself for being stupid.

"Stop shitting yourself. You've been livin' 'ere for three years and you never left these doors open."

"You come around like once a month, you wouldn't know."

"I know you very well mate, and I'll put bet's on my camry that you've been waitin' all avo for your neighbour." At this, my heart skips a beat and my face heats up uncontrollably. I wait intently for Noah's response, though it doesn't come. "Mad's said  she saw you hanging like old mates."

"You're a dick." I frown, and clamp down on the inside of my cheek. What's that supposed to mean?

"I called it, what's her name again?"

"Hana."

"She's alright in't she? I mean there's the hair thing and all, but I thought you were batting for the other team- but you know there's nothing wrong with that, but you know..." he trails off into silence, broken by Noah's brief statement.

"You're such a dick."

"Seriously though, have you actually got the goods for her?" Noah doesn't say anything and I can only assume he's shrugged, nodded or shook his head. All of the possibilities make my stomach knot. "You do, you're such a freaking puss."

"So what? She's great, she's grounded and wholesome." He pauses. "She's like the people I'd read about and never believe actually existed. She's like those one in a million that pass you by in the street, and I guess I was in luck when she stopped by at Tip-Top." I can't control the rapid thumps of my heart as it reaches out to grip onto Noah's every word. He likes me, and by the sounds of it, just as much as I like him.

"She your Cinderella then?" 

"More like my Austen." Noah chuckles, and I can imagine him ruffling his hair and rubbing the back of his neck. My heart is in overdrive.

"Dude, you're freaking whipped." Ed laughs loudly, his voice being carried out onto the balcony. "Have you told her?"

"No."

"Wait, do her kind date?" A pause, "They don't. Are you gonna marry 'er? Dude, you're twenty one, you can't seriously be thinking of tying the knot." I can hear my heart in my ears, rolling my blood like crashing waves. My breathing is rapid, with my lips parted and nostrils flared as my excitement courses through me. But then, Ed sneezes. "Fuck you man, it's freezing." The balcony doors slam shut, draining my adrenaline rush and ending my eavesdropping.

I move away from the doors and place my palms on my cheeks to cool the redness. He likes me. He genuinely likes me. My smile is so wide it hurts and my body is buzzing. I shouldn't have listened into their conversation, but I'm glad I found out- this may have been the confidence boost I needed.

----------------------------------------------

Finally, chapter's up! I've been writing this on and off for the past two weeks, and I still feel like it's a bit jumpy and all over the place, but I'll get back to it in the big edit.

So, what did you guys think? I personally adore Noah's character way too much for my own good, and I'd love to hear all your thoughts about him and any of the characters really.

Thank you all so much for the support and reaching 7K, that's amazing!

Vote, comment, share- let me know what you think! :)

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerĂ  anche

2.4K 485 49
In "Life of a Muslim Black Melanin," we follow the remarkable journey of Rahma, a Muslim black girl who found herself in the clutches of an orphanage...
5.3K 439 35
As Ouahib arrives in town , carrying the weight of a family that has weathered hardships, including parental separation, and the lingering echoes of...
300 86 14
After a chance encounter at her aunt's house, Mia finds herself drawn to Ethan, a charming and intelligent Arab Muslim man. Despite their instant con...
127K 6.4K 25
Inayah has dealt with quite enough. She just wanted to finish her degree, get a good job, and find some peace and quiet. But that's always too much t...