Two Fish

By twobrits

→ finished ← Claustrophobic and agoraphobic, Alaska Gouramie doesn't leave the house much. She whiles her day... More

Two Fish
one || alaska
two || elver
three || alaska
four || elver
five || alaska
six || elver
seven || alaska
eight || elver
nine || alaska
ten || elver
eleven || alaska
twelve || elver
thirteen || alaska
fourteen || elver
fifteen || alaska
sixteen || elver
seventeen || alaska
eighteen || elver
nineteen || alaska
twenty || elver
twenty one || alaska
twenty two || elver
twenty three || alaska
twenty four || elver
twenty five || alaska
twenty seven || alaska
twenty eight || elver
twenty nine || alaska
thirty || elver
thirty one || alaska
thirty two || elver
thirty three || alaska
thirty four || elver
thirty five || alaska
thirty six || elver
thirty seven || alaska
thirty eight || elver
thirty nine || alaska
forty || elver
forty one || alaska
forty two || elver
forty three || alaska
forty four || elver
forty five || alaska
forty six || elver
forty seven || alaska
forty eight || elver
forty nine || alaska
fifty || elver
fifty one || alaska
fifty two || elver
fifty three || alaska
fifty four || elver
fifty five || alaska
fifty six || elver
fifty seven || alaska
fifty eight || elver & alaska
Author Note

twenty six || elver

21.4K 1.1K 192
By twobrits

Elver grimaced when he saw the film. It was one Cathy had watched many a time when she was younger and one that Elver had always managed to avoid. Cathy had the opposite reaction, though her grin soon fell and she groaned, throwing her arm over her forehead.

“How do I work this thing?” Alaska asked, fiddling with the buttons on the DVD player.

“Here, let me.” Elver crouched down and squinted. They reached for the same button at the same time. Their hands touched but Alaska didn’t move. She left her finger on top of his for a second or two before she came to her senses and pressed play. Cathy was struggling to stay awake, no matter how much she wanted to see the film.

Alaska curled up in the corner of the sofa and Elver sat between the two of them. The movie started and Elver couldn’t bear to look at the screen.

“What’re you doing?” Alaska asked, confused. Elver was staring into his lap, fascinated by the scuff marks on his knees.

“Nothing,” he said.

“You’re not watching,” Cathy accused.

“Yes I am,” Elver said lamely. “It just hasn’t started yet.”

“Yes, it has,” Alaska said. She paused the film. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Elver said.

“Oh my God,” Alaska said, realisation dawning upon her. “Is it because there are fish?”

Elver said nothing – it was his undoing. Alaska burst into a fit of giggles and pressed play.

“It’s a cartoon, Elver,” she said. “They’re not real, you know.”

“I know,” he said with a frown. “I’ve seen it before.”

“Oh yeah? When?” Cathy butted in. “You haven’t.” She turned to Alaska. “He hasn’t. He always avoids it.”

“I’m right here, you know. Don’t talk about me like that.”

Cathy chose that moment to run out of the room, making it to the toilet just in time to throw up.

“You alright?” Elver asked as she came back in, wiping her mouth with a tissue.

“No,” she said flatly.

“I’m sorry,” Elver said, putting his arm round her.

“Don’t touch me, you’ll catch it,” Cathy grunted, wriggling out of her brother’s grip. Elver just nodded and stretched his arms out behind him. When he brought them back down, one caught on Alaska’s shoulder. He panicked – he didn’t want to seem rude if he moved it and knew he was pushing it to leave it there, but he did. Alaska didn’t do a thing. Elver smiled to himself. Cathy was almost out of it and didn’t notice. Fifteen minutes into the film, she dropped off. Elver glanced at Alaska. Her eyes were trained on the screen, following Flounder’s every move. The little fish was reflected in her blue irises. Elver found he didn’t mind the creature so much when it was in Alaska’s eyes.

Alaska put her hand on Elver’s knee. “You know, you made me get in your car,” she said.

“What’re you getting at?”

“You need to watch the film. Or else.”

“What’s the else?”

“I make you swim. In the sea.”

Elver shuddered and slowly raised his head to the screen. Alaska grinned smugly. “I really don’t like this film,” he said.

“I really don’t like cars,” she retorted, holding Elver’s head in place, staring at the screen. He closed his eyes and she poked his cheek.

“Ouch.” His eyes snapped open and he rubbed the side of his face.

“That’s what you get for not watching,” Alaska said. “I can do much worse.”

“I can imagine,” Elver grumbled. He didn’t want to watch the film, but he didn’t want to face the wrath of Alaska. He forced himself to keep his eyes on the screen the whole time, though he shivered every time a fish appeared from a corner of the television. Alaska chuckled, until Ursula made her entrance and Elver drew a comparison.

“Have you been getting tips on being evil?” he asked, pointing at the hideous woman. Alaska slapped his thigh.

“Don’t think I won’t still make you come in the sea,” she warned. “It will happen.”

Elver smiled. He found he didn’t mind the film so much with Alaska next to him, even if she was unpredictably violent.  

The film came to an end and Cathy woke up, promptly racing out to throw up again. When she returned, she muttered something about sleeping and retreated to her room.

“Will you be ok?” Elver asked. His sister hesitated then nodded and took a bucket up with her. Elver and Alaska were alone. She looked at him then took his hand from her shoulder. Elver stood up and noticed Alaska’s long face.

“What’s up?” he asked, holding out his hand to her. She didn’t take it.

“Elver, you’re my only friend, you know?” she said, frowning to herself. “I’ve only just realised how sad that is. I have one friend.”

“I’m sure that’s not true,” he said, but Alaska’s face told him otherwise. “Well, you’re my only friend,” he said. Alaska stared up at him.

“What about Liam?”

Elver scoffed. “He’s not my friend. In fact, he’s as much my friend as Hannah is yours.”

Alaska laughed, remembering that morning, on the phone to Hannah. “I guess that settles it. We’re loners together.”

And there they were. Two friends, alone together. Elver pulled her into a hug and they stayed like that for a moment until Elver switched the radio on for a little background music. He had hoped for something a little romantic but the song that came on that had both of them giggling. He took Alaska’s hand and twirled her round. They jumped around the room, dancing and laughing and in danger of waking Cathy. The song ended and they flopped onto the sofa, utterly exhausted.

“Thank you, Elver,” Alaska said, leaning against his shoulder.

“What for?”

“Well, if it weren’t for you, I’d be back at home right now, tucked up in my room with the curtains closed. You’ve helped me with, you know.”

“With what?” Elver asked.

“You know, stuff.”

“What do you mean?” Elver asked, putting his arm round her. Alaska smiled.

This,” she said. “I, uh, I don’t like people to touch me. Ever. Not even my parents.” She glanced at Elver’s arm around her. “I suppose I’m changing. Maybe I can get rid of my issues.”

“But they’re what make you you. Without those little quirks, you wouldn’t be the person you are. It’s your character, Alaska,” Elver said. He rested his head on top of hers.

“I don’t like my character, then,” Alaska muttered.

“But you’re through it now, aren’t you? You’re so much more relaxed now,” Elver said into her hair.

“It’s not that simple.” Alaska sighed.

“Why? Why can’t it be simple?” Elver asked, sounding more annoyed than he intended.

“I don’t know. Life’s not simple,” Alaska said into Elver’s shirt, closing her eyes. He didn’t reply and leant back, letting the afternoon sun beat down on his face through the bay window. They fell asleep together. Alaska curled into Elver’s shirt. He had to remind himself to relax and enjoy the smell of her exotic perfume.

They woke at half past five, bleary eyed and confused.

“What happened?” Alaska asked, sitting up. For a couple of seconds, she didn’t recognise her surroundings.

“I, uh, think we fell asleep,” Elver said. He got up to flick the kettle on. Cathy came in with a look of glee on her face.

“Yeah, you did. Together. I didn’t want to wake you,” she said, slipping two slices of bread into the toaster. Elver asked if she was feeling better and she nodded, then turned to Alaska.

“What time are you leaving?” she asked. Elver looked horrified.

“Cathy, don’t be so rude,” Elver said, shooting Alaska an apologetic look. She looked completely taken aback.

“Oh. If you want me to leave now, that’s fine,” she mumbled, shuffling over to the door.

“No, no, no,” Elver said, sounding a little too desperate. “Why don’t you come upstairs?”

“Are you sure?” Alaska asked. Elver nodded and shooed her up the stairs. He gave Cathy an I’ll deal with you later glare. She just winked at him. When they reached Elver’s bedroom Alaska glanced around at the tip.

“Sorry about the mess,” he said, frantically picking up his rubbish to make space to walk.

“It’s fine. I’m a lot worse.”

“Why don’t you stay for supper?” Elver asked hopefully. “I mean, Mum and Dad are away till tomorrow so it’s only me cooking, but still…” he trailed off. “I make a mean pesto pasta.”

Alaska smiled at him, stepping closer. “I’d love to.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

193K 6K 39
"When I first met you, you were a complete stranger. But through time, I thought I really started to get to know you. To know the way you react to th...
2.4K 261 26
Seventeen-year-old Lucy Owens is struggling. It's been two years since the death of her parents, but she just can't seem to get a handle on life with...
824 217 42
Kaleb's life was never easy until he met her. His best friend who stood by his side no matter what crazy situation they were pulled into but what wil...
5.5K 1K 54
Lavender Monarch has exactly thirteen fears. She knows this because she has them written down on a list she carries with her everywhere. Lavender ha...