Beacon in the Darkness

By Bloomsbelle

While coping with loss, Camila Cabello strikes an unlikely friendship with Shawn Mendes that bloomed into a w... More

1. Fields
2. Curiousity
3. Treading Water
4. Throwing Stones
5. Tremors
6. High Tide
7. Ripples
8. Waves
9. Rushing Current
10. Drifting
11. Undertow
12. Breaking The Surface
13. Buried Treasure
14. Cloudy
15. Down Come The Rain
16. Sundown
17. Radiate
18. Enough
19. Storm
20. Fall to Pieces
21. Here We Are
22. Wait For Me
23. False Security
24. Make Me Whole
26. Birthdays and Betrayals
27. Truth
28. One Last Time
29. Torment
30. Through the Motions
31. Consequences
32. Feels Like Home
33. Forever

25. Fragile Joy

6.1K 162 120
By Bloomsbelle

"I can't believe they both agreed to let you see each other." Lauren leaned against the locker next to Camila's and stared down at her fingers, picking at a loose piece of skin beside her nail. "I mean, especially given the fact your mom totally caught you in the middle of a make out."

Camila rolled her eyes and turned to the stack of books in front of her, pawing through to find the one for her first class. "We weren't making out, Lauren."

She snorted. "Well, what would you call it, then, if it's not making out?"

"I don't know, kissing, maybe?"

Lauren dropped her hands to her hips and stared at Camila. "Seriously? Do you not know anything about the parameters of kissing verses making out?"

Camila turned toward her and raised her brows. Lauren sighed.

"Plain old kissing does not involve wrapping your legs around a guy and being slammed against bookshelves. That would be clearly in the make out territory."

Camila frowned. "That's the last time I tell you anything."

"What? Don't you dare hold out on me! I have to live vicariously through you, since the ratio of delectable to geek in this school is seriously skewed."

Camila laughed and turned to Lauren, shaking her head. "Okay, so this school isn't crawling with hotties, but there are plenty of great guys around." Her eyes strayed to her approaching dark-haired, bespectacled best friend. "Speaking of which, here comes one now."

Lauren's brows shot up into her hairline and she whipped around just as Michael approached. His hair looked as though he'd been in a wind tunnel and his shirt was stretched out and bunching at the collar.

Camila closed her locker and appraised him. "What happened to you?"

He shook his head quickly and averted his eyes. "Nothing. Just a couple of football jocks being their moronic selves. It's no big deal."

"The hell it's not!" Lauren stepped closer to him and straightened his collar.

Michael's eyes grew wide at her touch. Camila bit her lip to disguise her grin.

Lauren looked up at him, meeting his gaze. "Who was it? I'll totally throw down with guys—and I will kick their asses too."

"Oh, yeah." Michael slung his bag over his shoulder. "Like I'm going to tell you and have the entire school think I need a girl to fight my battles. Yeah, no thanks." He started moving away.

"But ..." Lauren followed after him.

Camila chuckled to herself and turned to make her way toward class when someone knocked against her shoulder, hard. Her books tumbled from her hands and spread across the tiled floor. The pages flew open and her notes fell from inside, twirling and floating down the congested hallway.

She sighed and crouched down, reaching out to grab the notes closest to her. Just as she wrapped her hand around the first bunch, a fancy looking heel-clad foot stomped down on her fingers.

"Ow!" She pulled her hand away and shook it rapidly in front of her. Raising her eyes to see whom the foot belonged to, she was met by the platinum blond head of Roxy.

"Oops," Roxy said as she raised a blood-red nail to her lips and cocked her head to the side. "Did I do that?"

Camila rolled her eyes and continued to gather her rogue papers. Once she had them all collected and piled haphazardly in her arms, she stood. Roxy didn't move from her position, a smirk affixed to her lips and her arms crossed over her chest. Her two cronies flanked her on both sides, their faces displaying the same sneer.

Not wanting to get into anything with them in the middle of the hall, Camila walked right up to Roxy, looked directly into her face and said, "Excuse me."

Roxy stared back at her. "Well, excuse you little skank." She bent down and placed her face right in front of Camila's. "I don't like you."

Camila scoffed and leaned in closer, not wanting Roxy to think she'd rattled her in any way. "Well, then it's highly convenient that I don't like you either."

Roxy narrowed her eyes. "I can't understand what he's doing with you. You're so—plain and just—nothing. He's too good for you."

"Let's just humor you for a moment and assume what you're saying is actually true. What makes you think you're any better for him?"

Her eyes widened and she laughed. "Are you kidding me right now?"

"Not in the least." Camila stepped back and purposely made a big show of appraising Roxy. "Sure, you're pretty. I'll give you that. But you're such a vindictive skank that it just overshadows any physical attributes you might have. What I don't understand is why you keep making such a fool out of yourself. I mean, how many more ways does he have to tell you he doesn't want you for you to finally get it?"

Roxy reached forward, shoved the books out of Camila's hands once more, and kicked them further down the hall so she couldn't get to them as easily. "You'd better watch yourself, Camila. Don't think I've forgotten about the pop incident either." Lowering her voice, she hissed into Camila's ear, "You know, now that I think about it, I think I know what he wants from you. Guys like him, well, they need certain ... things. And sometimes they like the challenge of the pure and innocent. The right to say that they were the first." She paused and pulled back slightly. "If you get what I'm saying."

Camila stepped closer, her nose nearly touching Roxy's. "You may think you're being intimidating, but nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, the only thing you're succeeding in showing me is that you're a sore loser."

"Oh, but I haven't lost. You see. He'll get tired of you sooner or later. Either tired of trying to go places you won't go, or just tired of your inexperience." She shrugged. "Either way, I'll be waiting for when he cuts you loose. For when he gets sick of your perfect, pure, and innocent virgin self. And then, I'll give him what he really wants. What he needs."

Camila felt her face heat, but for once it wasn't with embarrassment. Never before had she wanted to hit someone like she wanted to hit Roxy. Anger boiled in her veins and it took everything in her not to just let it loose and nail her one in her perfect, plastic nose. But she wouldn't give her the satisfaction of knowing her words had gotten to her. How could she know to say the one thing Camila worried most about—her inexperience, her naivety. She didn't want Shawn to need anything she couldn't give him.

But that—well, that wasn't something she was ready for. Somehow, Roxy's words managed to get right under Camila's skin—right where Roxy wanted them—and the doubt started to creep in, festering and overtaking her confidence. What if she was right? What if her inability to give him—that—spoiled everything between them? What if he left because she couldn't give it to him?

Shaking aside the doubt and anger Roxy's words caused, Camila straightened her back and stared right into Roxy's narrowed blue eyes. "For starters, don't presume to know anything about me or Shawn. Second of all, what makes you think you'd be the one he'd turn to for—that—anyway?" Camila's gaze followed the length of Roxy's body and back up again, taking in her over exaggerated curves and skimpy clothing. "In my opinion, he could definitely do better than you."

Roxy stepped back and stared indignantly, her mouth dropping open to say something when a voice from behind startled her.

"Seriously? Are you still harping about losing out on my brother, skankzilla?" Lauren stood with her hands on her hips, her hair swinging behind her. "I mean, really? I think he's made it absolutely clear he has no interest in you. But if you insist, I could rearrange your face if you really need a physical reminder."

Ignoring Lauren completely, Roxy leaned in again. "I'll be waiting, Camila." With a grin, she and her two lackeys turned on their heels and disappeared down the thinning hallway. Camila sighed and bent to retrieve her books and papers once again, Roxy's words stubbornly infiltrating her mind no matter how hard she tried to clear them from it. Lauren stooped down to help her.

"Are you all right?" she asked, her eyes cautiously studying Camila's face.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" Camila prayed Lauren didn't notice the trembling in her voice.

Lauren handed Camila the notes she'd managed to gather and they both stood. "Well, I mean, she was really all up in your face. I just figured ..."

Camila forced out a laugh and tucked the papers back into her book. "Come on, Lauren, it takes a whole heck of a lot more than that to intimidate me." She paused. "I was handling it though. You didn't have to step in."

Lauren stopped and placed her hand on Camila's shoulder. "Mila, we're practically family. I mean, you're my neighbor, my best friend, and I swear to God you're going to freaking marry my brother someday. Of course I have to stand up for you."

Camila's face heated again. "Come on, Lauren ..."

She laughed. "Yeah, yeah, too soon, too young, yadda yadda yadda. I know. But, I can feel it. You two are it. The kind of it all of us want. Don't let skanks like Roxy scare you off or make you doubt that he—" She paused and glanced up at the ceiling, an expression crossing her face as if she'd just realized something. "Well, hell, I think he might actually love you."

Camila waved her hand in front of her face and snorted. "You don't have to worry about that. I told you. She doesn't bother me. She can do what she wants. It isn't going to sway what I feel."

"Sway what you feel about what?" Shawn's voice came from slightly behind and beside Camila, making her jump. She turned to face him as his hand shot out and gathered the books she held, tucking them under his arm with his.

Camila grinned at the "gentlemanly" gesture he didn't even seem to notice. "Nothing. Where were you?" She wanted nothing more than to forget the altercation between her and Alexandria.

"Coach called an early team meeting—okay well, just a meeting with me to discuss my apparent 'bad behavior' last game—again." He looked down at Camila and smirked.

She rolled her eyes. "You really should learn to control your temper."

"Oh, come on. You know you love it when I get all out of control aggressive."

Camla scowled at him, but secretly agreed that a hostile Shawn was an absolutely delicious sight.

Lauren snorted. Her eyes widened when both Shawn and Camila glared at her. "Sorry. Jeez." She held up her hands and slipped into the classroom they'd stopped in front of. "See you inside, Mila." She winked at her and then stuck her tongue out at Shawn.

He leaned his shoulder against the wall and lowered his head, his brows pinching together as he reached out for her hand. "What happened?"

Camila glanced down and noticed a blue tinge forming under the nails of three fingers. "Nothing." She tried to pull her hand back but Shawn tightened his grip and looked up at her, catching her gaze.

"Don't lie."

She let out a slow breath. "Really, it's no big deal."

"Then why won't you tell me?" His eyes moved from one of hers to the other, searching her face for the answers she didn't want to give.

Camila sighed and closed her eyes briefly before meeting his once more. "Just Roxy being herself."

"What?" Anger flashed across his face. "She hurt you? Why?"

"Because it makes her feel big or something. I don't know."

"Was it about me?"

"Shawn ..." Camila turned away from him, really not wanting to get into it. "Just—just forget about it, okay?"

He reached out and grabbed her chin, gently turning her toward him. "No, I won't forget it. If she's hurting you because of me, then I damn well want to know."

Camila didn't speak the words, but knew her silence was enough of a confirmation for him.

"Damn it." He let out a slow breath and raised her hand to his mouth, brushing his lips along her bruised fingers. "She won't touch you again. I promise."

"Shawn, please. It really is nothing. She just knocked my stuff out of my hands and stepped on my fingers. Just forget about it, all right?

He leaned forward, his face just inches from hers. "Nope," he said. "See ya later, Pippi." Pushing away from the wall, he started to move away from her.

"Shawn," Camila whisper-shouter. "Shawn!"

He turned, flashed a lop-sided grin, and wiggled his fingers at her before sauntering the rest of the way down the hall.

_______________________________________________________

Shawn's smile faded as he rounded the corner toward his first class. He'd been around the block enough times to have been the cause of female jealousy before, and normally, it would have amused him. But not this time. Not with her. From the beginning, he knew Roxy had a thing for him. Always touching him, cooing at him, smiling what she thought was her best flirtatious smile. While he'd never really discouraged her, he made it a point not to encourage either.

After he met Camila, no other girl seemed to do anything for him. All he thought of was her, all he wanted was her. And now that he had her, he wasn't about to sit back and let some bimbo with a sick obsession of getting with him hurt her—in any way.

The warning bell rang just as Shawn stepped over the threshold to homeroom. Across the room, he spied Alexandria and her two stooges whispering and snickering in the corner. He looked to the front and saw that the teacher had yet to appear. Dropping his book on his desk, Shawn hopped over the one next to him and crossed over to her. When Roxy spotted him, she glanced up and smiled, her bright red lips stretching wide across her face.

"Hey, Shawn," she said.

He fought back the urge to scratch out his eardrums at the sound of her nasally voice. Placing his hands on the top of her desk, he leaned down and grinned—putting to good use whatever lure he seemed to have over her. He reached over and took her hand, studying her fingers as they lay in his. "You know, it looks like you spend quite a lot of time making your hands look pretty." He lifted his gaze to hers.

She sucked her lip between her teeth and bit down in an attempt to look alluring. It amused him how much it didn't work for her. "Um, yeah, maybe you'd like a personal tour of everything else I make look pretty?" Shawn almost puked a little in his mouth at the innuendo. Alexandria started moving her nails against the palm of his hand and looked up at him from under her lashes.

"Hmm ... I was just wondering ..." He leaned closer to her.

She closed the distance even more, licking her lips in the process. "Yes?"

He smirked again. "I was just wondering how much it would piss you off if someone say, oh, I don't know, stomped on them and ruined all your hard work." He squeezed her fingers in his palm, not enough to hurt her but enough to get his point across.

Her brow furrowed and she yanked her hand away. "What the hell are you talking about?"

All pretenses of smiles and niceties slipped from his face. "You know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't know how many ways I have to tell you, how many times I have to humiliate you before you get the very obvious hints I've been sending your way, but I don't want anything to do with you. I never did, but for whatever reason I tried to be polite about it. But you crossed a line now, Roxy, and I'm not going to play nice anymore. This little game of yours is over, right now."

She narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "I really have no idea what you mean."

"Just leave Camila alone or I swear to God you'll regret it."

She cackled. "Threatening me, Shawn? Just what is it you think you're going to do? You wouldn't hit a girl now, would you?"

No. He wouldn't, but God if she wasn't testing his resolve right then and there. "Oh, I don't need to hit you to make you regret laying a finger on or saying a word to my girlfriend—though I do know a particular black haired beauty that would like nothing more than to throw down with you, and all my bets would be on her. But sadly, no, that's not what I have in mind." He leaned even closer, lowering his voice to whisper in her ear. "Do I need to remind you about a particularly humiliating position you found yourself in the night of the dance?"

Roxy's body stiffened and her breath hitched.

"That's what I thought." Shawn smiled. "You stay away from Camila—you and all your friends. You don't speak to her, touch her, or even look at her, and that little moment stays just between us. But if I find out that you so much as rubbed against her in the hall or blew your breath in her direction, I'll make sure everyone knows every sordid little detail. You got it?" He pulled back and met her fear-filled eyes.

"You wouldn't really tell anyone about that, would you? You're not that cruel," she whispered.

"I will do whatever it takes to protect her from malicious wenches like you. Don't you doubt that for even one second. Now," he straightened up, "do we have an understanding?"

Roxy nodded.

"Good." The final bell rang and Shawn turned away from Roxy's pale face. He hopped back over the desk and plopped down into his.

"What was that all about?" Zayn leaned over from the seat next to Shawn's, lifting his chin in the direction Shawn had just come from.

"Oh nothing. Just a little unfinished business." He glanced over to where Roxy sat, sniffling into her notebook, and grinned.

_______________________________________________________

Camila stared down at her geometry homework, the figures blurring together on the page. As much as she hated to admit it, Roxy's words still haunted her thoughts. She didn't want to be that girl. The one whose entire day could be ruined by the words of a jealous, vindictive classmate, but apparently, she was.

She sighed, shoved the book to the side of her bed, and flipped onto her back, staring up at the ceiling and watching the blades of her ceiling fan twirl round and round. No matter what Roxy insinuated, Camila knew it was too soon to even think about the implications of whether or not their physical relationship was enough. Shawn hadn't expressed any disappointment in what they had going on already, but would he actually say something if he was? Another big reason being so inexperienced sucked majorly. She had no idea what the norm was, what the accepted "pace" was. How long was considered normal to wait?

The fact of the matter was, Camila had never really considered doing that before. Not that she'd really ever had any reason to think about it until now anyway. Even now, she couldn't actually picture herself doing anything like that—okay, maybe she could picture it, but only in her imagination, and even there it made her blush furiously. The truth was, sure, she wanted to—someday. And a large part of her wanted it to be with Shawn. The attraction she felt toward him was undeniably strong—so strong, in fact, it sort of scared her at times. The things he could make her feel with just a simple look were enough to question every bit of her self-control.

But she wasn't about to do it just because she was afraid of losing him. She definitely wasn't that girl. And no matter what Roxy said, she really didn't believe Shawn was that guy either. He loved her. She knew this without a doubt. Nothing in her heart or mind told her otherwise. So why was she so disturbed by the whole thing? Did her subconscious know something she didn't?

Unable to concentrate on anything but the thoughts swirling through her mind, Camila decided she needed some air. Stumbling out of her bed and down the stairs, she found herself outside and walking toward the woods. When she entered the small clearing, only the sound of the shallow brook rushing over the rocks in the bottom touched her ears. Pale streams of moonlight filtered through the sparse branches above, lighting the area with a blue tint. Stepping around the log laying across the grassy floor, she plopped down on it and lowered her face into her hands. Why wouldn't her mind slow down? Why did all these questions and worries keep invading her thoughts? Finally, it hit her. She couldn't concentrate on anything else because she needed to talk to the one person that could give her the answers.

Pulling out her phone, she scrolled through her contacts until she found his name. With a sigh, she sent him a message.

Busy? ~C.

A few moments later, her phone buzzed with an incoming message.

Nope. Just screwing around with my guitar. Why? ~S.

Can we talk? ~C.

Sure . . . where? ~S.

By the brook. I'm here now. ~C.

Okay. Be there in 5. ~S.

Camila sighed and placed her phone back in her hoodie pocket. Shoving her hands inside, she stared out into the darkness, noticing a pair of fireflies engaging in a midflight dance just above the brook. She watched as they swirled and darted through the air, chasing each other back and forth. So engrossed in the display before her, she didn't even hear when Shawn approached and was only made aware of his presence when she felt his lips brush against the bare skin on the back of her neck.

With a gasp, she whipped around on the log to find him crouching behind her, his hands placed on either side of her. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply before opening them again.

"You scared me."

"Sorry," he said quietly, his eyes studying her intently. "What's wrong, Mila?"

She furrowed her brows. "What makes you think something's wrong?"

He let out a sigh and lowered his head. After a minute, he spoke again. "Why do you keep doing that?"

"Doing what?"

He raised his gaze to hers. "This. Hiding stuff from me. You tried to do it today with Roxy, and you're doing it now. Why won't you just tell me what's going on? Are you unhappy with this whole situation? Is that why you won't just talk to me?" He gestured between them.

"What?" she asked. "No." She reached out and grasped his face between her palms. "Why would you think that?"

"What else am I supposed to think? You've been acting weird ever since this morning. I thought it was just what Roxy had done, but it just got worse as the day went on. And I saw when you were with Lauren, you seemed fine. It was just when I came around."

Camila closed her eyes and touched her forehead to his. "I'm sorry. I'm just—I'm—"

He reached up and wrapped his hands around her wrists. "Mila, please just spit it out before you give me an aneurism."

"I don't want to have sex with you," she blurted out the string of words in a gush of air.

Before she could comprehend what she'd just said, she felt Shawn go completely still under her hands. Peeking through the slit in one lid first, she finally opened her eyes. Shawn's mouth hung open slightly and he looked at her with disbelief.

His hands slipped from her wrists and he rocked back out of her grasp. "Wow. That's, uh, good to know." His eyes fell to the ground and Camila saw the movement of his throat as he swallowed.

She stared at him in confusion and then finally it dawned on her what she'd just said and how it probably sounded to him. She gasped. "Wait! I meant—I didn't mean I don't want to do that with you because I do." She shook her head violently. "No, I mean, God. I meant, just not right now. Lord—" She stared up at him, pleading with her eyes. "Please just shut me up." Her breathing accelerated and she felt like she might start to hyperventilate.

He reached up and cupped her cheeks. "Okay, just breathe for a second and then start from the beginning."

She closed her eyes and took in a few deep breaths until she felt calmer. When she opened them again, she found herself staring straight into his. Letting out one last slow breath, she leaned in and kissed him softly once. "I didn't mean to say it like that, and that's not how I meant it."

"Okay." His thumbs brushed her cheeks. "Then why don't you tell me what you meant and what you wanted to say."

"Well, today when that stuff with Roxy happened—"

He opened his mouth to speak, but Camila reached up and silenced him with a finger.

"Please, just let me get this out and then you can talk. If you interrupt, I don't know if I can say it."

He snapped his mouth shut and nodded.

With another deep breath, Camila continued. "Well, she said some stuff." Camila saw Shawn's jaw clench but he remained silent, just as she'd asked. "She—she said that you would have certain ... expectations ... when it came to being—physical, and that there was no way someone as inexperienced as me could—could—fulfill those." She swallowed against her mortification and continued. "And that just got me thinking that ... she's right. I—I don't know anything about any of that stuff, and I'm really not ready for anything like that anyway, and I just don't want you to be disappointed or—or ..." she trailed off and lowered her head, shaking it back and forth.

"Can I talk now?" Shawn asked softly after a minute.

Camila nodded without lifting her head.

"Look at me," he said.

Camila closed her eyes and raised her head, opening them slowly.

Shawn's gaze darted over her face. "First of all," he brushed a few loose curls behind her ears. "Roxy is a damn airheaded moron. She knows absolutely nothing about me and my 'expectations.' Second of all, do you have any idea what I feel for you? Any at all?"

Camila said nothing, just continued to stare at him.

He leaned forward and pressed his lips to one corner of her mouth. "I love you." Another kiss to the opposite corner. "I'm in love with you." He rested his mouth against hers, his warm breath flowing over her face. "So much so that just thinking about you, looking at you, touching you, makes it hard to breathe. I would be the biggest liar on the planet if I said I didn't want you that way, because God knows I do. But more than that, I want you to want me like that too. And until you do, I'm in no rush. I will never, ever, pressure you to do anything you're not ready for, so please, please," he breathed, closing his eyes, "don't worry. I'm not going anywhere."

She reached up and grabbed his face, pulling his lips hard against hers. "I love you too," she said between kisses. "And I do want you. So badly it scares me, because I know I'm not ready for that. And the things she said, they just—"

He pressed his mouth against hers once more, silencing her. "She's an idiot, Mila. Please, don't give anything she said another thought. It means nothing. Her ideals on what relationships are and what sex is all about don't matter. It isn't me. It isn't you. It isn't us."

Camila sighed and kept her forehead flush with his. "I'm sorry I freaked out and said that. Total fail on my part. I don't know why I let her get to me. One point Roxy, Camila zero."

He chuckled and ran his fingers over her cheeks. "I will admit, it took out a notch of my man-sized ego there for just a second, but it's nothing I can't overcome. God knows I have enough left over to compensate. And you aren't left with zero. You have me, and I have to be worth, what? Like a million points?"

Camila laughed and he smiled. "You're right; you definitely had enough ego left. Maybe I need to knock you down a few more notches?"

"Mmhmm," he mumbled against her lips. "I'd say you most definitely do, because I'm feeling all kinds of awesome after pulling my girl from the depths of a major freak out."

Camila twisted her fists tightly in his hair and grinned. "God, I love it when you call me your girl."

Shawn wrapped his arms around her back and pulled her off the log to press her flush against him. "Well, that's what you are. What else would I call you?"

Camila didn't answer. She just leaned forward and captured his lips with hers. His embrace tightened around her, holding her even closer than she thought possible. After a moment, he released her and ran his hands down her back, ending at her waist. "So, what do you say we do that whole date thing this weekend?"

Camila glanced up and raised her brows? "Really? But, my mom says we have to double."

He reached up and tapped the end of her nose with his finger. "I've got it covered. Lauren says she can get a date and we can go together."

"Okay! Do you have a plan? I mean, what do you want to do?"

"Hmm, I don't know. I've never doubled before."

Camila jumped up and bounced on the balls of her feet. "Ooh! I have an idea—if that's all right for me to say. I'm not sure what the rules for this whole date thing are. Am I supposed to let you choose since you're the man and all?"

Shawn chuckled and stood in front of her. "What? Are we living in the dark ages or something? No, it's fine. Double dating is different from singular dating anyway. What's your idea?"

"Well," she drew her bottom lip between her teeth, "have you ever been paint bombing?"

He raised a brow. "No, I've never gone, but—you want to pelt me with water balloons filled with paint on our first date?"

Camila grinned larger, raised her brows, and nodded. "Oh my God. It's so fun! Carlos and I used to go all the time. And it's so much better than paintball because it doesn't leave welts and bruises."

"Oh yeah, welts and bruises on a first date is probably not such a good thing." He laughed. "All right. I'm game—if that's what you want."

Camila reached up and twisted her fists into his shirt, pulling him down to her. "I do. I like playing around with you. And just to give you fair warning, I'm pretty good, so you better watch yourself."

He raised his hand to the back of her head and drew her even closer. "Somehow, that doesn't scare me in the least, Pippi. But, if that's how you want to play ..."

"Oh, it's definitely how I want to play." She smiled.

"Well then, game on."

"Game on." She crashed her lips to his and threw her arms around his neck. Game on indeed.

_______________________________________________________

"What the hell am I supposed to wear to throw paint balloons at someone?" Lauren's voice screeched over the phone.

Camila pulled the handset away from her ear and grimaced. "I don't know, Lauren. Something you don't care whether it gets ruined or not."

"What? I don't have anything like that?"

"You don't have an old pair of shorts or sweatpants and a t-shirt?" Camila asked. "Who doesn't have something like that?"

"You expect me to wear sweatpants on a date?" Her voice raised a few octaves.

Camila sighed and she pinched the bridge of her nose. "It was just a suggestion. You could wear an older pair of jeans—whatever. They give you a jumpsuit, but sometimes it isn't enough to keep your clothes clean." She paused. "Anyway, what does it matter? Aren't you just taking Michael?"

"Oh, like that's an excuse to look like crap? Come on, Camila. I wouldn't be Lauren Jauregui if I didn't care about what I looked like?"

"Fine. Whatever." Camila pulled on a pair of holey jeans and an old gamer t-shirt Michael got her that she kind of wished would get ruined. "I gotta go finish getting ready. See you in a few."

Lauren sighed. "Fine. I'll do my best to look like I don't care."

"Good. That's what I like to hear." Camila hung up the phone and picked up her comb, parting her hair to one side and started to braid them. She glanced in the mirror and smirked at her appearance. Yes, she'd dressed in crappy clothes, but she knew the braids—while also done for functionality—would be a huge hit with Shawn. He never could resist them for some reason. Not that she minded in the least.

Just as she finished admiring her work, the doorbell rang. She ran out into the hall and fumbled down the stairs. "I got it!" she shouted to her mother who was in the kitchen doing dishes.

When she reached the door, she flung it open and her breath caught in her throat. Shawn stood in the entryway wearing a pair of dark jeans, which were frayed and tearing at the knees, and a faded black t-shirt. But as good as that looked, it wasn't what made her falter. On top of his head, he wore a backward-facing, tattered, black baseball cap. The ends of his hair curled up underneath the rim and stuck out slightly at the sides. Camila reached out to steady herself against the doorframe, heat rising to her cheeks over how a simple cap made her react.

"Hey," she said, her voice sounding weak and pathetic.

He grinned, adding to the overall drop-dead sexy effect he had going on. "Hey."

The slap-slap of flip flops filtered into the room as Sinu stepped into the foyer. "Hello, Shawn."

He looked over to Sinu and nodded slightly. "Ms. Cabello."

"So, where are you kids off to?" She forced a smile. Camila knew she was still leery about letting her date but appreciated her relenting regardless of her misgivings.

"Smashing Colours," Camila said as she stepped out the door to stand next to Shawn.

"Oh?" Sinu came forward and occupied Camila's previous spot. "And," she stuck her head out the door, peered toward the Jauregui's house, and frowned, "who's going with you?"

Camila sighed, annoyed at the mistrust in her mother's voice. "Lauren and Michael."

Sinu's brows rose. "Really? Are they dating now?"

Camila shrugged. "It's just as big of a surprise to me—though I'm not quite sure it's the same sort of date to Lauren that it is to Michael."

"Hmm," Sinu said thoughtfully before taking a breath and flashing a genuine smile in Camila's direction. "Well, have fun, and—" her eyes flickered to Shawn, "behave."

Shawn's brows rose.

Camila bit back a giggle and nodded. "We will." She leaned forward and pecked her mom on the cheek. "Thank you," she whispered in Sinu's ear.

Sinu reached out and squeezed Camila's hand before letting go.

Camila grabbed Shawn's then looked up at him. "Okay. I'm ready."

He glanced down at her and grinned. "All right." He looked back up. "Bye, Ms. Cabello."

"Sinu," she said with a smile. "Call me Sinu."

He nodded again. "Sinu." Turning around, he led Camila down the stairs toward his car. "That wasn't so bad," he said as Sinu disappeared back inside and closed the door.

Camila stopped him just as they reached the passenger-side door of his car. "Okay, you've got to tell me. What's up with the cap?"

"What?" He reached up and fingered the fabric covering his head. "Don't you like it?"

"Like it?" she asked. "I think you about gave me heart fail back there. Do you have any idea how freaking hot that is?"

A large grin spread over his lips and he leaned down to her. "Are you saying I'm hot, Miss Cabello?"

She narrowed her eyes. "You know you are. You don't need me to tell you that. I'm just saying that the hat adds to what's already there."

"Hmm," he said, tracing his finger along her jawbone and chin. "Well, maybe it's a little payback for the braids. You know what they do to me."

"Uh huh." She couldn't help but smile and wrap her arms around his neck. "So this was on purpose then?"

"No." Shawn shook his head. "But it will be from now on." He pressed his lips to hers.

Camila giggled and kissed him back eagerly.

"Stop it." Lauren's voice growled as she walked past them and wrenched open the passenger door, climbing in the back with a huff.

Shawn and Camila broke apart and Camila sat in the passenger seat. Shawn closed the door behind her and ran around to his side.

Camila whipped around and smiled. "Good afternoon, Sunshine? What crawled up your butt and died?"

Lauren narrowed her eyes and turned toward Camila. "I told you, I don't like looking like crap for a date." She gestured to her faded jeans and t-shirt.

"I think you look fine," Camila said sincerely.

"That's what I told her," Shawn mumbled as he pulled out of the driveway and started toward Michael's.

"Of course you two would think that," Lauren spat. "You're both fashionably challenged."

Camila shook her head and grinned, looking forward. She reached over and grabbed Shawn's hand. He entwined his fingers with hers and peered over at her, a crooked smile pulling at one corner of his mouth.

They all engaged in small talk on the way to Smashing Colours. Lauren's mood improved significantly when Michael joined them, dressed like the gamer geek he was. Camila had to wonder if this wasn't a real date to Lauren after all.

When they arrived and paid, they separated into guys and girls to change.

Camila pulled the gray jumpsuit over her clothing and zipped it up, rolling the legs and sleeves that were way too long on her. She grabbed the provided goggles and slipped them on as well, tightening the straps so they fit securely on her face.

"God, this is hideous." Lauren stood in front of the mirrors and checked herself out in the gear.

Camila walked up next to her and stared at her own reflection. "Yep. But think of how much fun it will be to pummel both Shawn and Michael with paint."

Lauren's face brightened. "So true. All right. Let's do this."

"Now that's what I like to hear." Camila wrapped her arm around Lauren's waist and both girls made their way out to the arena entrance.

Hooks lined the walls and small pouches hung from each. Camila grabbed one and gestured for Lauren to do the same, then she filled it with balloons from a bin placed just next to the door. "This is for you to store a few balloons in. There are bins situated along the walls and behind each shelter for you to refill too."

"Okay." Lauren took one and filled hers. "So, what do we do now?" she asked as Camila opened the door to the arena and looked around cautiously.

"Run!" she screamed as she took off out the door, balloons whizzed over head, two nearly hitting her just before she ducked behind the shelter.

She turned to Lauren and smiled. "See? Fun, huh?"

Lauren glanced down at her suit, now splattered with pink, green, and purple paint. "Loads."

Camila laughed and sat down with her back to the shelter, rummaging through her sack and pulling out a few balloons. "At least you're not out at first hit here like you are with paintball. That's annoying."

"Come on, Pippi." Shawn's voice rang out. "You gonna hide behind there all day?"

"You wish!" she called back. "I just hope you're ready for this, Shawnyboy!"

He was silent for a few moments, which actually made Camila start to worry about what he might be up to. And then she heard him from right above her. "More ready than you know."

She looked up just in time to see him smile from over top her barrier and toss a balloon down, hitting her right on the shoulder.

"Cheater!" she called and jumped out from behind her safety point. He laughed and jogged away. She pulled her hand back and threw several balloons in quick succession, all missing him.

"I thought you said you were good at this?" he taunted and threw two more, one hitting her leg and the other blooming a large purple splat right in the middle of her chest.

"Oh, you just wait."

He wiggled his fingers at her in a "come hither" motion and bit his lip. "I'm waiting, Pippi."

She laughed and took off toward him, only to watch him disappear behind a large rock structure. Luckily, because she was so small, she fit right between a narrow crevice and caught him just as he passed behind. Camila jumped up onto his back, grabbed a balloon from her pack and smashed it over his head. Drips of orange paint fell over his black hat and onto the tips of his brunette curls.

Camila leaned over his shoulder, kissed his cheek, and whispered, "Gotcha," in his ear.

Shawn reached back and grabbed her, pulling her over his shoulder and pressing her up against the rock structure, a large grin plastered on his face. "And now, I've got you." He quickly reached to his side, pulled out a balloon, and squeezed it over her head. Green paint exploded onto her hair, dripping over her goggles and cheeks.

Camila gasped and pushed against him, but he grabbed her arms tightly and crashed his mouth to hers. She knew he was just trying to distract her so she wriggled out of his grasp, reached to her side, and grabbed another balloon, smashing it into his chest and jerking away.

She laughed as she ran. "Catch me if you can!" she called over her shoulder.

She rounded the corner of another barrier, only to run smack into Shawn's chest. Falling back, she landed with a thud on her butt. He grinned and crouched down in front of her. "Now, you didn't really think you could outrun me, did you? I'm a soccer player, Pippi. Running is sort of my thing."

"Who said I wanted to outrun you?" She drew her arm back and pelted him once more in the chest. A large grin stretched across her face.

"Well played, Camila. Well played." He leaned over and kissed her once more.

She grabbed the front of his jumpsuit and held him there. "Maybe I didn't want to outrun you, Shawn. But you know what I do want?"

"What's that?"

She leaned in and whispered, "I want you to chase me."

With that, she jumped up and took off into the arena, dodging balloons from both Lauren and Michael, with Shawn trailing after her. She laughed as he gained on her and she knew that very soon, she'd slow and allow him to catch her.

_______________________________________________________

When their time was up, Shawn and Michael went back to the guys' changing room and slipped out of their jumpsuits, throwing them in the bin reserved for dirty ones near the door. Shawn threw off his hat and ducked his head under the faucet, rinsing the paint from his hair. Grabbing a towel from the shelf, he rubbed it over his head and then ran his fingers through the wet locks. He glanced in the mirror, and once he was satisfied he didn't look like a total douche, he turned back to Michael who stood by the door ready to go.

They exited the changing room and met up with the girls near the front doors. Camila's hair was wet, like she'd tried to rinse the paint out, but streaks of green still colored the strands. Shawn grinned and took her hand when he approached.

She smiled up at him. "That was fun, right?"

"Yes, very fun. Ranks as probably the best date I've ever had."

"Really?" She raised her brows and looked up at him.

"Yes, really."

She grinned even wider and clutched his hand tighter. The car ride home was much more animated than the one there. Lauren apparently had forgotten about how much she hated what she'd had to wear and continued to ridicule Michael over how bad of an aim he had. He pretended to be miffed, but Shawn could tell Michael had it bad for his sister.

Camila kept her hand in his the entire way home, rubbing small circles on the back of it with her thumb. He hadn't been lying when he'd told her it was the best date he'd ever been on. It was, but what he hadn't told her was that any time he spent with her was the best for him. He'd save that little tidbit for himself because he didn't want to sound like a totally cheesy asstard.

After dropping Michael off and saying goodnight to Lauren, Shawn walked Camila to her door. It felt awkward and strange even though it wasn't the first time he'd done it. But for some reason, this was different. The charge between them was different. Like, just the fact that their relationship was no longer a secret and that they'd finally done the "real date" thing, things were changed.

Camila climbed up onto the top step while Shawn stayed on the ground. With their height difference, Camila stood just barely taller than him. He glanced up at her and smiled. Her eyes shone bright even in the dark.

"You look happy," he said.

"I am," she answered. "So happy. That was, like, the best day ever. I had so much fun."

"I'm glad. Me too."

Camila leaned down to kiss him, but he stopped her with a finger to the lips. She furrowed her brow and looked at him with confusion. He slowly climbed the steps until he stood in front of her at full height.

Raising his hand to cup her cheek, he said quietly, "I'm the man. It's my job to kiss you after the first date."

Camila bit her lip and nodded, her eyes intent on his mouth. He leaned in slowly, his thumb pressing against her chin until she released her lower lip. She lifted her chin and closed her eyes in anticipation, parting her mouth slightly. Shawn let his hand slide from her cheek to the back of her neck, pulling her closer until their lips touched. He sucked her lower lip between his and she opened more to him, letting him in. The flavor of cinnamon from her gum flooded his taste buds as she grabbed his face and slid her tongue into his mouth. He didn't stop her or slow the kiss because, damn it, she felt and tasted so good he couldn't stop himself even though he'd intended this to be a sweet kiss.

She pressed her body into him, fitting herself perfectly against him. All her curves molded with precision to his. A small groan worked its way out of his throat as she shifted against him and it took every ounce of his self control to pull away. He placed a few small kisses to her lips before resting his forehead against hers.

"I should go," he said.

She nodded but twisted her hands into the sleeves of his shirt as if she really didn't want him to. "Yeah."

He pulled back reluctantly, wanting nothing more than to stand there and kiss her all night. Her hands fell from him as she let out a shaky breath.

He smiled. "I'll see you tomorrow, birthday girl."

She grinned, clearly thrilled he'd remembered. "Okay."

He made his way down the stairs, turning only once when he reached the driveway to see her still standing on the porch, watching him walk away. With another smile, he turned back and crossed the yard until he ambled up the steps and quietly entered the house.

"No, we haven't told him anything." Clarissa's whispered voice came from the adjacent room.

Shawn furrowed his brows and tip-toed closer to the doorway, pressing his back against the wall.

"No, sir," she answered. "Manuel was supposed to tell him. Yes, I realize he's been refusing to see him, but what would you have me do?"

Shawn frowned. Manuel? As in, his father, Manuel? He turned his head to listen closer.

Clarissa sighed. "I can't just make him go. Yes, I understand that—but—yes, sir. I know time is running out. You don't understand ... he finally seems happy. I can't just—no, sir, I'm not questioning you." She sighed again. "Yes, sir. I'll make it happen. Soon. Yes."

"Shawn, what are you doing?" Lauren's voice rang out loudly from just behind him.

He jumped and whirled toward her. Frantic footsteps rounded the corner and Clarissa's large eyes fell upon him and Lauren standing just outside the doorway. Fear flashed across her face as she stared at both of her children.

"Shawn, Lauren, wh—what are you doing?"

He narrowed his eyes and looked dead into Clarissa's. "Maybe that question would be better directed at you, Mother. What exactly is it that my father was supposed to tell me?"

__________________________________________________

Author's Note:

Am I an ass or am I an ass, for always ruining their happiness towards every chapter? Forgive me, for I love angst just as much as I love fluffs and mushy things!

Much love!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 5.1K 34
Feisty social outcast Camila Cabello meets self-absorbed undercover agent Shawn Mendes and sparks fly. Little did they know, the sparks will combust...
23.6K 1.6K 13
Camila wakes up in a hospital bed without any memory of the last four years of her life, including the fact that she is now married to a man she does...
6.2K 633 10
Can any relationship, no matter how strong survive the death of a child?
42.9K 2.3K 83
Shawn Mendes a single father meets his daughter's teacher, Camila Cabello. They immediately felt drawn to each other, will they fall in love? Or will...