The Warrior Prince

By Skylinger

When the warrior kigdom of Zandell attacks Valeria quickly finds her fate in the hands of Prince Lothar;heir... More

The Warrior Prince
Fall of Benola
Keeping her close
Welcome to Zandell
Makes no Sense
Early Visitors
Prelude to a wedding
One cannot hide in white
Shadow Kingdom
Where is Valora? Chapter 11
Daughter or Not? Part 12
Could it be true? 13
Heritage Part 14

Her word

5.9K 93 10
By Skylinger

Lady Valeria looked down from her tower window. She thought her time in the tower would be temporary. At first it had been. Unfortunately, after two more attempts to remove her from the palace, Prince Lothar had decided she would remain there. Valeria could see things being moved and prepared. It looked as though some were preparing to leave.

The woman heard the door open behind her, but did not turn to see who it was. She didn't need to; Prince Lothar was the only one that ever entered her room in the tower.

"It looks as if some of your men are leaving," Valeria commented.

"Yes," Prince Lothar said coming up behind her. A moment later he was by her side looking down on what she was looking at. "We will be leaving in the morning." The blonde woman simply nodded. "You will of course be accompanying me." Valeria looked over at him surprised by his words. "Did you think I would leave you behind?"

"Why wouldn't you?" she said simply.

"Have you forgotten you belong to me already?" the prince inquired. Gently he ran his hand through her hair in a soft caress. Then, just as quickly, he grabbed her hair forcefully almost cruelly and brought her face within a mere two inches from his. "I am not a prince of your world. I am a warrior. I seldom change my mind about anything. That includes you." He crushed his lips to hers in a forceful kiss. She wanted to struggle, but didn't. His kiss felt even more possessive than when he had first claimed her. The kiss ended and he released her completely.

"This will be your last night in the tower," he told her. "You will stay at my side as we travel unless I tell you otherwise, understood?" Lady Valeria simply nodded. "I mean it My Lady, you will not once try to run from me," he warned. He watched as the woman nodded. "Say it!" Lothar had paid attention to anything concerning the woman he laid claim to. One of which was she would never willingly break her word.

"I will not run from you," she agreed.

"I will come for you myself in the morning," he told her. Receiving a nod he left the room and Lady Valeria alone.

Valeria looked out at the kingdom once more. The last sunset she would ever see in Benola was fading into the night. Tomorrow Lothar would take leave for his father's castle taking her with him.

She stayed at the window until the last of the colors faded turning the sky completely black.

The blonde woman changed into her night dress and crawled into bed for her last night of confinement in the tower.

**

Prince Lothar left the tower with mixed feelings. He was pleased Valeria hadn't fought him when he'd kissed her, but disturbed the woman could think for a moment he would leave her behind. She was his and would remain so. Still the blonde haired woman hadn't argued when he had told her she would be leaving with him. The prince was also pleased she'd given her word to not run from him while they traveled.

The Prince walked out of the castle and over to the corral. There he found Ares eating some grass. The Prince watched the black stallion wordlessly. Ares liked to be free. It had to be storming severely before the horse would even consider entering a barn. The stallion always longed to be free to move around, instead of cooped up in a tiny stall. As long as Ares remained loyal and obedient to him, Prince Lothar gave the horse the freedom he desired.

Lothar glanced around at the caged wagons that would transport some of the prisoners. Duncan himself would be forced into one of those cages for his venture to face King Mateen.

"What do you plan to do with Lady Valeria?" Garrick asked joining his brother by the corral. "I doubt you plan to put her in a cage with the others. Do you want us to take one of the royal carriages to transport her?"

"No. She will ride near me," the heir replied.

"Do you think that wise?" Seeing his brother smile he said, "You made her give you her word didn't you?"

"Yes. I admit if it was someone else I would not care. Valeria, however, is a true lady of her word," Lothar replied. "She will not run from me."

"This is your choice," Garrick replied. "She has given her word so I doubt she would run. Lady Valeria stays at your side during the day, but what about at night?"

"I will decide when the time comes," the older brother replied.

"Is something wrong?" Garrick questioned. "Normally you're anal about plans to leave. You seem very distracted."

"Valeria thought I would leave her here," Lothar said not hiding it disturbed him. "I never rescind a claim on anything."

"She's not from a kingdom like ours. Even before Duncan, this kingdom has always been different from us," Garrick replied.

"Valeria knew we'd come and strike with vengeance," Lothar reminded him.

"That is true. She understands our nature in battle, but not our nature of being in its entirety. You confined her to a tower and left her."

"I would not have her taken from me!" Lothar said angrily.

"That may be the reason, and I admit I would have done the same, but men from kingdoms like this wouldn't. They'd lock away a woman they wanted to forget or cast aside. A woman they wanted to keep as theirs; they would keep at their side," Garrick informed him. He watched as his words sunk into the heir. It was times like this that the differences between the princes showed.

Lothar was battle superior; the fiercest of warriors in battle. He was strategy savvy and quick to notice weaknesses. Garrick, on the other hand, noticed differences between kingdoms; their customs and traditions. He was far quicker at realizing what would affect a person most. He was quick to incorporate persuasive techniques based on customs of other kingdoms and used them against his opponents.

"So you're saying that since I locker her away, even though I saw her a few times, she doesn't believe I mean my words of claim," Prince Lothar summarized. He watched as his younger brother nodded. "She will not be locked away in Zandell."

"Nor will you need to lock her away," Prince Garrick announced.

"What still needs to be done?" Garrick smiled pleased to hear his brother becoming himself once more.

*****

Lothar tossed and turned but was not able to sleep. Something just didn't feel right. He got up and leaving the room walked around the castle for a time. Still not feeling calm he walked outside. Seeing a reflection of light in some water he looked up at the tower the Valeria was confined to. He was somewhat surprised to see light coming from the tower.

"Everything is ready Sire," Gideon told him. Lothar nodded. "Is something wrong?"

"How long has there been light in the tower?" Lothar asked.

"About an hour. It was dark for a while," he replied. "Would you like me to look in on her?" he asked.

"No. Where is Garrick?" Lothar inquired. Gideon pointed to the stables and Lothar walked toward them. He had almost reached the stables when he watched his brother walk out.

"I thought you turned in," Garrick said openly surprised to see him.

"I did. Couldn't sleep," he replied. His brother simply nodded. "Check on her." Garrick just looked at him. "Valeria, check on her. There is light coming from the tower."

"Why don't you check on her?" Garrick asked. Lothar just looked at him. "Afraid she'll think you care or afraid you won't leave the tower before morning?" Lothar didn't respond either way. "I'll check on her but then you need to go over instructions with Adler." Lothar nodded and shaking his head Garrick walked away.

Garrick walked up the many stairs that would lead him to Valeria's room. Part of him was annoyed about having to go to the tower but not for the reasons one might think. Garrick hated walking up all the stairs. He would've preferred for Lothar to simply put the Benola woman in his room with him. Then he would always know where she was. He wasn't fond of spending a week on horseback but at the moment he was looking forward to it just to get away from the stairs.

Garrick didn't mind checking on Valeria however. Besides being a beautiful woman he'd found her to be quite intelligent. He knew she too was tired of being stuck in the tower but kept silent about it. Somehow the woman seemed to judge Lothar quite well which was truly appreciated. Most women didn't and even amongst the new slaves they seemed to think offering themselves up to him would aid them. All it did was annoy his brother. Balin however was happy to accept attention from women. Unfortunately for the women of Benola it never gained them what they thought it would.

Finally reaching the door Garrick knocked and then unlocked the door and opened it. As the door opened he found Valeria in her bed reading. Valeria instantly turned her eyes to him and placing a piece of paper she closed the book.

Garrick was handsome like Lothar but they had very different looks to them. They were both tall with dark hair but that was where the similarities ended. Garrick's hair was much shorter than his brothers though the very top of his hair appeared to be wavy. Unlike his brother's hazel eyes Garrick had dark blue eyes. His skin was also a couple of shades lighter than Lothar's but still tanned. Lothar seemed to always have a look of power to him but Garrick had a much softer look to him. Garrick could dress differently and be completely disguised and no one would know he was a warrior. His mannerisms were also in many ways proper. Though she assumed he could be every bit as much a warrior in temper as his brothers.

"Having trouble sleeping?" he asked her.

"I slept for an hour or two but for some reason I'm wide awake now," she replied. "Is it a problem if I'm reading?" she asked looking at him.

"No," Garrick assured her. "You don't normally have a light on at this time and...let's just say we needed to ensure someone wasn't trying to take you again."

"Or perhaps ensuring I wasn't trying to escape on my own?" Valeria suggested.

"Should we be concerned about that?" the prince inquired. Valeria watched him for a moment and then shook her head no. "You won't be in a tower in Zandell," he assured her. He watched as an appreciative smile and nod was returned to him. "How much do you know about us?" he asked. He knew she was aware they could be violent in battle but was curious as to just how much the woman actually knew.

"I suppose that would depend on the context for which you mean," she replied. "Are you asking as in the kingdom of Zandell, you and your brothers, or warriors?"

Garrick couldn't stop a smile from forming on his face. While some warriors might have been angered by her response he was not. He had noticed that she spoke to each of them based on their actions. With him however she was more thoughtful in her responses and in some ways even more open. Her response was not to be rude or misleading. Instead she understood that he sometimes asked different questions by using the same question. He walked over and sat down in a chair at the small table in the room and gave her his attention. "What do you know of Zandell?" Garrick asked first.

"I confess not a lot," she replied. "I know that you are a warrior kingdom and that you have a reputation for acting swiftly against enemies. Your kingdom is not known for waiting for a declaration of war as you acknowledge even silent acts of war. Duncan gathering an alliance against you silently declared war. I have heard the King, your father, is not known to be merciful towards his enemies. I know your kingdom is large but beyond that I really don't know anything else," Valeria admitted.

"I would say what you do know is very accurate," The eyed man told her. "What have you deciphered about us?" he asked her. He watched as her eyes lowered and knew she was either uncomfortable or afraid to answer. "I won't hold what you say against you," he told her. Valeria looked up at him. "From what I can tell you judge us rather well. The others may not have noticed but I've certainly noticed you speak to us differently. You would not have answered Balin, Andler, or even Lothar as you did me."

"You're each different men," Valeria replied calmly. "I don't know a lot about any of you. Though I would say that you seem to understand this kingdom and those like it perhaps better than your brothers."

"I would agree with you," Garrick told her. "Lothar didn't understand that when he put you in the tower that to you he was simply locking you away. "My brother put you here to keep others from obtaining you. We don't put people in the tower to discard and forget about. If my brother wanted you forgotten he'd have put you in the dungeon." Valeria gave a nod and it was clear she was trying to understand them. "Lothar never rescinds a claim Valeria," Garrick informed her.

"What am I?" Valeria asked abruptly. As soon as she did she became uncomfortable and wish she hadn't.

"I'm not sure I can answer that," Garrick replied. He noticed her look slightly disappointed and added, "It is not I wouldn't answer you. It is simply I don't know if my brother has decided yet." He watched as blue eyes looked at him. "Just know you're his. He'd kill anyone that laid a hand on you and that includes Balin." Valeria looked at him a little surprised. "It is in your best interest to not fight whatever he decides. Believe me when I say when Lothar's pleased life is better."

"He doesn't seem to think before he acts at times," Valeria commented.

"When it comes to battle he knows every weakness. He scouts things out himself when he attacks. Lothar knows a lot before he ever gives the order. Lothar thinks through everything. The only exception seems to be you," Garrick informed her. "What of Balin and Adler?"

"Balin is easily angered and...while I don't wish to seem rude seems to enjoy the sight of blood," Valeria said uneasily. Garrick simply nodded she was correct. "Adler doesn't anger as easily but he is not afraid to hit no matter their rank or even sex. Though I get the feeling Balin and he both consider women weak."

"They do," he replied. "Especially when it comes to....women of kingdoms like this. However neither have that impression of you." Garrick informed her.

"I did nearly take Balin's head," Valeria reminded him. She was surprised when the prince laughed. "You're amused?"

"I've been waiting for a woman to lay him out for years," Garrick informed her. "The fact it was by a woman that is not a warrior simply makes it better."

"He's your brother," she stated.

"Yes and he deserved it," Garrick assured her. He watched as a smile crossed her face. The more time he spent around the woman the luckier he felt his brother was. "I assume when it comes to warriors you know our temper in battle and that's about all?" Valeria nodded.

"Lothar is not one to show any form of feeling. He shows anger and at times arrogance but not much else," Garrick warned. "Warriors are possessive by nature especially over weapons, our horses, and women." Valeria looked at him less than convinced. "You doubt me?"

"Not over your horses or weapons. I watched Balin backhand someone that touched his sword earlier today by the stables," she replied matter of fact. "But your brothers hardly seem possessive over...females."

Garrick smiled at her. "I didn't mean all women. You're in a tower to keep you away from others." Valeria nodded understanding what he meant. "He'll keep you close to him during the trip to Zandell. He doesn't want anyone to close to you." Again she nodded. Calmly he rose from his chair. "Read a little while longer if you wish but then you must rest. Tomorrow will be a long day of travel."

"Thank you highness," Valeria told him. He nodded and she watched him leave her room. IT was only a moment after the door shut that she heard the door lock.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2 1 2
Death and amnesia make for a poor combination, as Skell can testify. In a world of army-shattering magic, mind-bending monsters, and mighty organizat...
223 3 38
Don't lose hope. Violetshadow's newfound power can only mean as things to come, and without the support of her Clan, Forestpaw is forced into a diffi...
1.3K 353 21
For two months, the Avondorian Mountains have been a safe haven. Now, that's about to change. When a scout returns to Anahill with a disturbing messa...
40 12 12
When the young lady suffers anguish, Amaris summons the might of a powerful demon. The demon assumes the shape of Amaris's betrothed. The young lady...