The Phoenix's Prophecy

By The_Black_Butterfly

Amethyst Rosemera was one of the few survivors of a species called runar thanks to her mother sacrificing her... More

*Prologue*
*Chapter One*
*Chapter Two*
*Chapter Three*
*Chapter Four*
*Chapter Five*
*Chapter Six*
*Chapter Seven*
*Chapter Eight*
*Chapter Nine*
*Chapter Ten*
*Chapter Eleven*
*Chapter Twelve*
*Chapter Thirteen*
*Chapter Fourteen*
*Chapter Fifteen*
*Chapter Sixteen*
*Chapter Eighteen*
*Chapter Nineteen*
*Chapter Twenty*
*Chapter Twenty-One*
*Chapter Twenty-Two*
*Chapter Twenty-Three*
*Chapter Twenty-Four*
*Chapter Twenty-Five*
*Chapter Twenty-Six*
*Chapter Twenty-Seven*
*Chapter Twenty-Eight*
*Chapter Twenty-Nine*
*Chapter Thirty*
*Chapter Thirty-One*
*Chapter Thirty-Two*
*Chapter Thirty-Three*
*Chapter Thirty-Four*
*Chapter Thirty-Five*
*Chapter Thirty-Six*

*Chapter Seventeen*

4.5K 194 10
By The_Black_Butterfly

*Chapter Seventeen*

I carefully dusted the lamp and placed it back on the table. There was a knock on the door, startling me. I immediately sensed Lake outside the door.

“Hey, Amy,” he grinned as soon as he saw me.

“Hey, you're out! How's your wound?”

An emotion of outrage and annoyance crossed over his face.

“The next time I see that arrogant brat, I will beat the shit out of him. He thinks he's so mighty just for catching me by surprise. He doesn't know who I am,” Lake spoke through gritted teeth in a voice full of venom that shocked me. “That kid not only stole Master's attention but also dared to attack me. Who the hell does he think he is?!”

“Er, I just asked how your wound was,” I said in a quiet voice.

“Oh,” he seemed to realize, “sorry, I got carried away,” he forced a laugh. “My wounds have totally healed in no time, but they just won't let me out.”

Yeah, they probably didn't want you to storm up to Ray as soon as you're out.

“Good to know that,” I smiled.

The smiled was wiped off my face when I saw the clock. I realized that I had exactly a minute to go to practice, and Ray does not tolerate tardiness, at all.

“Sorry, I gotta go,” I said hastily.

“Ray,” Lake said it like a curse.

I ignored him and quickly rushed to the practice room. I yanked the door open just as the minute needle of the clock in the practice room reached twelve.

Just on time. Phew.

Ray was already in the room. I calmly went up to him, and we took our stance.

*

“Not good enough,” he declared as my back hit the wall for the hundredth time.

I quickly got up. His hands were loosely by his side as he stood in front of me. If I didn't know better, I would say he was full of openings. On the other hand, if you do actually attack those openings, you would fall right into his traps.

I narrowed my eyes at him. He clearly knows that I would not win against him if he were serious about this. I have not discovered my ability while I'm pretty sure he's at least a few centuries old. There is no point when he doesn't even teach me. He's simply mock fighting me. It's thanks to Ashling that I'm still alive.

Ray looked...bored.

Great, I'm getting my ass kicked, and he's not even serious.

Ray charged at me which I narrowly missed. Although I could see his attacks thanks to my new...form, I couldn't follow them.

What are you doing? Your attacks lack motivation. You have to want to kill your opponent.

I was so shocked by the voice that I momentarily lost focus. I felt a force against my shoulder, and I went tumbling on the floor.

“Where are you?!” I yelled at no one in particular to which Ray stared at me blankly. I ignored him. I know I look like a retard for talking to thin air. “I know you can see me.”

There was no response.

“Neraine!”

Suddenly, I felt Ray tense.

Stupid girl, Neraine chided. Now he knows about me.

“Neraine,” Ray clenched his fist and marched up to me.

“You...know her?” I asked shocked.

Oh, he knows about me, Neraine assured me. You would too if you had your memories. It's a pity actually. You should see how you were when you were a child. You have completely turned into a pathetic, scared-for-everything, weak -

Ray placed his index against my forehead. What seemed like an electric shock went through my body. I fell to the floor, clutching my head. At the same time, I felt a presence in my head vanish.

“What did you just do?!” I spoke through clenched teeth as my head felt like it was being ran over by a truck, and my vision was blurry.

“Your mind is weak. It's easy prey for a runar who specializes in telepathy.”

“What?” I stared at him blankly, not getting the last part. “What do you know about Neraine?”

He gave me a weird look.

“She's the second candidate.”

“I figured that out,” I mumbled.

“She's...”

He went silent while I stared at him. This could only mean...

“Blood oath?” I surmised.

He faced away from me.

“Don't be afraid of yourself.”

“I'm not!”

“Deep inside you.”

I froze.

The monster that wants to be let out.

I am actually scared of it. I don't want it ever to be out...

Is that monster actually me?

“For someone whose power is sealed, it's not uncommon for that power to be a beast inside of you. If you don't overpower and control that beast, that beast will take control of you.”

I gawked at Ray in shock. He spoke as if he knows exactly what was going on in me.

“If you don't want Neraine to invade your mind, don't give her a single chance to invade it.”

“H-How?”

“Out of everyone, your mind should be the easiest for her to get in.”

“W-Why?” I asked in an almost panicked tone.

“I can't say anything.”

“Well, tell me something. I'm sure the blood oath doesn't cover every little thing!” I was on the verge of desperation.

There was a moment of silence.

“Do you know what an Arcane is?”

Arcane...I've heard that word somewhere...

“Have you heard about twins?”

“Yeah, obviously - ”

“Runar twins,” Ray gave me an exasperated look at my lack of knowledge on runars.

“Haven't seen one,” I frowned, not sure where he's getting.

“They don't exist.”

His words caught me off guard.

“But - ”

If - and that is extremely rare - a twin does happen in the womb, they are going to fight for the womb. Twins are never born because one of them would be killed and absorbed by the other. The runar that survived is called an Arcane. An Arcane is twice as strong as a normal runar, and since they absorb energy from the surrounding or nature, it makes them extremely hard to defeat.”

“Oh.”

“This locket disappeared a few centuries ago. A lot of runars who knew about it started searching for it. None of them succeeded. I have no idea how you have managed to get it.”

~~~

Master gazed into a mirror that showed the chamber. There were a few demons chained out the wall. They were all weaklings and must be annihilated. A evil smirk crossed onto Master's face when one of the weaker demon was ripped apart by another stronger demon, Riley. Riley's face was devoid of emotion, and he stepped on the bloody corpse like it was a mere piece of paper. The weaker demon was still alive although barely.

One of the reason why Master likes Riley: Riley was deadly and was a perfect weapon being the strongest amongst all the other level one demons. Most importantly, Riley is loyal.

Riley looked at Master for permission to kill the other demons. Master turned away, and faster than one could blink, there were nothing left but a pile of ash.

That was what happens to the demons who refused to swear their loyalty to Master.

“Master,” a way too familiar voice purred.

Master turned around. In the room was none other than another one of Master's favorite. Although she covered in black hood, one could still make out the slender body underneath. The person raised her head, and Master couldn't help but admire her turquoise eyes that were deep with hatred and were burning to seek revenge for the one who was responsible for ruining her life.

Although Master liked the look in her eyes, she was a mere tool. Something that would be thrown aside once she was of no use. She was a useful tool for not only does she possess the exact emotion Master wants but also her strength was something to admire. She was one of the few who could fight on par with Riley.

“Neraine,” Master smiled amused, “what brings you here?”

Neraine walked up to Master and stood extremely close to Master. Master gives her credit for her courage to do so for if it were anyone else, that person would already be a pile of ash.

“Why did you not tell me that Amethyst is here?”

The word Amethyst was spoken with a hatred that matched the look in her eyes.

“You found her?” Master's tone was one filled with amusement.

“I knew she was here the minute she stepped into this dimension although it took me some time to be able to get into her mind.”

“What do you think of her?” Master turned away and gazed back into another mirror that showed part of the basement. The runars were inserted a new drug, and the pain that the runars were suffering only added to Master's entertainment.

“Weak.”

Master's head was thrown back in a laugh.

“Don't underestimate her. You know as well as I do the power she holds.”

Neraine's eyes flashed angrily.

“Your pet, Rayden, is getting on my nerves.”

“He is under my control, Neraine,” Master assured her. “He is just providing me entertainment.”

“Are you sure he's on your side?” Neraine tested. “He dared to force me to leave Amethyst's mind.”

Master laughed as if it was nothing.

“He has swore the oath. He is bound to me,” Master explained.

Neraine didn't look assured but dropped the subject nevertheless.

“The White Phoenix is me. Someone who is afraid of her own power would never be able to win against me. Amethyst is a pathetic coward,” Neraine laughed haughtily. “Don't forget our deal,” Neraine reminded Master, her eyes shining warily.

“Of course, The Rosemera's are all yours,” Master coaxed. “You will continue the bloodshed I couldn't finish seven years ago.”

Couldn't finish was a little lie. Little does Neraine as well as everyone else knows, Master had purposely let Melody take over Holsina. Master has everything planned out. It was sad to let go of Holsina as it is an extremely...magical dimension, yet Master knew that in order to succeed, one must let go of trivial things. There is one thing Master is sure of: Holsina will come back to Master.

“Good,” Neraine replied seeming satisfied by that Master still remembered. “You do know that we're running out of time, right?”

“Yeah, looks like things are going to get interesting.”

“Whatever,” Neraine replied.

Master turned away with a hidden smile. Master has nothing to worry about. She has already swore the oath; a special oath written for Neraine solely. She would not be able to refuse.

If she were the White Phoenix, she would have no choice but to follow his order. If she were not, she would be just a useless tool.

And...

Everyone knows what would happen to a useless tool.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10K 256 65
"From the ashes. The strongest will rise." She said, the eye of Onyx glistening in her talons against the moonlight over head. "I'm going to stop poi...
14 1 41
Admittedly no knight in shining armor, Phrixus does show up to save Astraea from herself a few times. As she refuses to accept the supernatural and h...
989K 89K 74
Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the Kymari. As the first dragonets to hatch...
657 11 26
(cover art made by me, also this book will have strong language, Gore, violence, suicide and abuse) This story is inspired by wings of fire, legends...