Avondale: The Golden Door

Af AEVanSell

Avondale is an island a world away from us. It's people were once bonded as brothers, but centuries of prejud... Mere

Prologue
The Castle of Aberdeen
Silver City
Welcome To Avondale
The Eye of Nīrina
Jinī Island
Clan Maretu
The Council
Hattu Makkalu
Nisvārtha Shade
Tale hādu
Doubt
Lord Śārk
Miscalculated
Flight
The Drake War
The Shell of Time
The Golden Door
The Tale of Autumn
Grey Rock City
Trouble On The South Road
Warlord Kappu
Tārc Victor
Editing Announcement!
Run, Run, Run, As Fast As You Can
Hunted
The Gods of Avondale
The Hunt
Something Missed
Curious
Storm
Dragon Spine Temple
Secrets
Master Garuda
Fever
The Kiss of Change
Unexpected
Enter The Dragon
Myājik's Day
Sequel!
Editing....again

City of Rivers

225 13 0
Af AEVanSell

The sound of drums, banjo and the harp vanished from my head as the man shoved me toward Nisvārtha, who caught me and sent his own symphony through my head, easing my frayed nerves.

I was beginning to notice the subtle differences in the music and started to wonder if the different instruments meant different things. Because the sound of the man was very different from my companions. The drums were harsh and loud, sending fear into my gut as the banjo matched its intensity, giving me the impression that I could not trust this man. The harp was present, but barely, and rather than lilting chords it was a plucking rhythm that made the overall song creepy.

The men in their dark clothes started leading us toward the dusting of lights in the distance. Although they made no move to harm us, the threat was heavy in the air.

So far the pattern was groups of three instruments, Nisvārtha being the only exception. So far there had only been three cases of repeating instruments. Drums in Sanna, Nisvārtha, and the dangerous guy. Harp sounds in the guy and Havala. Then the occurrence of strings in each of my companions.

I had no idea what the similarities meant, but there were two things I knew for sure. The first was that the drums of Sanna and Nisvārtha did not mean the same as the drums in the dangerous man who walked ahead of us. The second was just a feeling that the music was important, but I had no clue how.

As we walked the men started making subtle changes in their position, they weren't aggressive but I could see their goal. Separating us so that we were too far from the help of our friends.

I moved closer to Nisvārtha, the men didn't notice but he did, his violet eyes glancing down at me.

I met his gaze calmly, but kept quiet.

Without a word he looked away, but his hand gripped my elbow gently, comforting me in a silent way.

I tried to distract myself with the scenery, but the miles of long grass and the cloudless sky got old quickly. I sighed, it didn't matter. Soon I would be in the City of Rivers and they would leave me in the hands of these creepy ninja people. I'd never see them again.

I looked over to my new friends and opened Tale hādu, being careful to exclude the strangers.

Is everyone okay? I asked.

We should be asking you that, Śarat's voice replied, a smirk coloring her tone.

Where did you learn to fight, Kendra? Suruli asked.

My brother liked to wrestle and he and my father were pretty protective over me. I replied. So they taught me how to defend myself. But none of you answered my question.

We are fine, Sanna said. We are not the ones with blood on our hands.

I frowned and glanced down at my hands, a gasp escaped my mouth as I gaped at the dried blood covering my knuckles and palms. The scratches were only present as fading pink lines.

Horror flooded my mind as I remembered how the last time I was cut I'd ended up in this place. I had to be more careful, no blood could be spilled, it was too dangerous.

"Kendra." A deep velvet voice snapped me out of my thoughts and I looked up.

Calm down. Nisvārtha's voice said softly.

I tried to remember how to take deep breaths as I stared into those violet eyes, but I only succeeded in raising my heart rate.

He sighed and looked away. Tell me something, Kendra.

I frowned. Why? You won't believe anything I say.

Something flashed in those eyes too quick for me to name. Tell me anyway.

I sighed. What do you want to know?

Anything, what was your life like before today?

I thought for a minute. I was a student. I went to school and learned what I could.

Those eyes returned to me, curious. A scholar? You?

I scowled. Yes.

What did you study? His tone and gaze were not judgemental, but remained curious.

History.

Why?

Many people had asked me this question so I knew my answer. I like stories. History is the greatest story you can find. Not only is it fascinating, it's real. As a child I never liked tales of princesses and knights in shining armor going to slay the dragon, because I knew it wasn't real. Fantasy held no interest for me.

Nisvārtha puzzled over that for a while. You did not believe in dragons?

I watched him carefully. No.

Curious, seeing as that is what you are.

I growled. Great job, Shade, this conversation is done. And I closed Tale hādu.

I knew what his plan was, and it had worked. I was calm now, but that didn't mean I had to put up with his attitude.

The sun was setting and as the sky grew darker we came upon the City of Rivers.

It was beautiful, a glowing city of close packed houses. The streets were canals that swam with small boats and rippled as serpents slid through the dark waters. Front doors went straight to the water and the roofs held gardens and bridges. The city reminded me of Venice, but instead of sidewalks lined with rails, people walked on the roofs, gated rails lining the tops of buildings like elegant cakes.

But as pretty as it looked from afar, I could see the beauty darken as we got closer. The people on the roofs were dressed in rags and covered in filth. Small fires were built and surrounded by the wretched and homeless. Many of the once gorgeous buildings were now rotting, broken and covered in mold. Many held boards over the windows and the sounds of laughter were sinister as they mixed with the sounds of crying and screams.

I stopped in my tracks and swallowed hard. "I'm not going in there." I said, my mouth dry and my heart pounding unevenly with fear.

Dangerous guy gripped my arm and his slimy song invaded my head. "You do not have much of a choice, Dearie." He crooned in my ear. I shuddered as he chuckled. "My master is expecting you, and we would not want to keep him waiting."

I ripped my arm out of his hand and scowled. "Keep your bloody hands off me." I spat.

He glared at me. "Watch your tongue, Pretty. Offend me and I might get a mind to cut it out."

Kendra. Havala's voice hissed at me. These men are trained assassins with no mercy. Do not upset them because they will not hesitate to kill you.

I huffed and nodded at her before continuing to walk next to Nisvārtha, his arm draped around my shoulders in an attempt to ward off the other assassins.

Your mouth is going to get you in trouble some day, Miss Kendra.

I rolled my eyes. So I've been told.

I can see you neglected to listen. His tone held the echo of something close to amusement.

Shut your gob. I said, and kept my eyes on the City of Rivers. Dread pooled in my stomach with each step.

I was in so much trouble.

* * * *

Inside the town the assassins made Havala shift and carry three of us, the others were separated and carried on the backs of the assassins.

I rode with Nisvārtha and Suruli on the back of Havala while Sanna and Śarat were split up on the backs of the Assassins.

The male serpents were totally different from Havala. Their skin was scaled like a fish, the colors ranged from blue to green to silver to black depending on the color of their hair or eyes. The spiny fins on their sides were pale and had a pearly sheen to them. The spines running down their backs looked sharp, but were moveable as they laid down flat for passengers. Their underbellies were armored with pearly plates and v-shaped plates of color ran down from their necks to a large, pronged tail in the same dark color that matched their lighter top scales.

All of the men were olive skinned and had large eyes with large pupils. Watching them undress and shift into the water, I noticed the similarities between them and Havala. Same skin, same eyes, same transformation.

The leader Assassin had pale blue eyes and black hair cut short, when shifted, his scales and tail were the same black as his hair, making him difficult to see in the water.

I tried to ignore the serpents as I rode on the back of Havala. I was wedged between Nisvārtha and Suruli, listening to their songs.

I was beginning to realize that strings were important, all of my companions had a string instrument in their music, and the only dragon I had met so far without strings, was the lead Assassin's.

So strings were obviously a good thing, but what did they mean? I needed more information before I figured it out.

Havala carried us through the town, flanked by the assassins and trailed by the others who carried Sanna and the twins. I watched as people peeked out of their doors to see us pass, their large, aquatic eyes curious and calculating.

We finally came to a large building that stood alone, a small plot of land surrounded by water on all sides. It was a large mansion made of brilliant, white stone. By far the cleanest building in the City of Rivers, it was three stories with large pillars and regal steps leading up to the front doors.

What happened next is a mystery to me. One moment I was riding Havala toward the manor, and the next I was sitting in a chair, my mouth filled with a filthy rag and my hands tied tightly behind me. I assumed I was in some sort of cell or small room, but no light allowed me to see which it was.

I would have tried Tale hādu but Sanna had explained to me that it only worked when you could see the other dragon, so I didn't bother. Instead I started wiggling and pulling at my restraints. Whatever bound my hands felt much like rope, and it was very rough, my wrists already ached from rubbing at them. After a while I noticed that some light was coming into the room from behind me, just enough for me to see that the room was very small. The only thing in the room that I could see was a heavy looking door with no handle.

I continued to pull at my restraints until the door opened, freezing my movements.

In walked a woman with long, raven hair. She was wearing what resembled a Japanese kimono, all white with a thick sash tied around her middle, it only reached past her knees, leaving her feet and legs bare. Her head was bowed so I couldn't see her face, and in her hands was a cup, a bowl filled with water, and a clean rag.

The woman set her items on the floor and reached back outside the room to bring in a candle, flickering softly as the door closed behind her.

It was then, that I saw her face. Soft curtains of black framing a thin face. All of her features were sharp and angular, but there was a gentleness to her expression that came from her large hazel eyes. Such a light, pale color that one could mistake the color for gold, but they did not compare to my own.

The woman brought her things over to me and set them at my feet. She knelt before me and met my gaze, a lifetime of sadness and pain reflecting in her large eyes.

"If you promise not to scream or yell," she began, her voice strong despite her soft, timid looking appearance. "Then I will remove the gag and give you some water."

My throat was very dry so I nodded in agreement.

The woman pulled the filthy rag from my mouth and gave me a moment to cough and hack before dipping the cup into the bowl of water and raising it to my lips. I guzzled down the first cup, nearly choking on the sweet, cool liquid as it ran down my dry throat. The second I took my time and used my first mouthful to swish the foul taste out of my mouth before swallowing and finishing the water.

When I was done I took a breath of air and looked at the woman. "Thank you." I said.

She nodded and began to wet the cloth she had brought. "My Lord dislikes filth, so I need to clean you before he meets with you."

"That's fine." I said when she gave me a look. "I feel a bit odd letting you clean me like that though, like some kind of servant."

The woman gave me a strange look. "I am a servant." And she started cleaning my foot and calf.

I didn't have anything to say as I was distracted by her song. I noticed the recurring sound of strings, and again the tones of the harp. Accenting them was the gentle peal of bells. If I'd had any suspicions or misgivings about this woman before, they were now gone.

"My name's Kendra. What's yours?" I asked, breaking the silence as she cleaned.

Her hands stilled and her eyes met mine. "Does it matter?"

I frowned. "Of course, you're a person aren't you?"

Her gaze hardened. "I am a servant, Miss Kendra." She repeated.

I rolled my eyes. "It was a rhetorical question." I muttered. "Servant or not, you are a person, and deserve to be treated with the respect of one."

The woman stared at me for a moment before returning to her cleaning.

I sighed and let my eyes wander to the flickering candle.

"Jīviyannu Silt." She said.

I blinked. "What?"

Her hazel eyes met mine. "My name is Jīviyannu Silt."

I smiled. "You have a beautiful name."

She moved to my other leg, "My father gave it to me." Her voice was sad. "It was the last thing he did before he was murdered."

I swallowed. "I'm sorry for your loss."

Jīviyannu shook her head. "It was a long time ago."

"Would you mind if I asked how it happened?"

Her hands on my leg slowed in her cleaning as she thought. "My father was a kind man, he led our people with strength and kindness. But during the Drake War, tensions built, and many lives were lost. Seeing the chaos as an opportunity, my uncle, Lord Sark, murdered my father and all his heirs. I was the only one to survive."

I felt my temper start to burn in my stomach. "It should be you in power, that slimy git doesn't deserve to be called a Lord."

Jīviyannu shook her head and started cleaning my face. "Whether he deserves it or not is irrelevant. I am a servant, and a woman for that matter, the people would not follow me."

"I think you underestimate your people." I said softly, and her eyes met mine. "You're kind, strong, and you understand the people from a servant's view. The young will value your compassion, the poor will empathize with your story, and the old will remember your father and see how you could be better than your uncle."

She sighed. "And what of the rich? Those who are in power because of my uncle, they wouldn't dare support me."

I shrugged and winced as it tugged on my raw wrists. "I'm willing to bet that there are more poor and enslaved in Clan Nīrina than there are rich and Noble. There is strength in numbers, Jīviyannu, and with numbers comes gossip. Spread the word of your existence and wait, it won't be easy, but once people know who you are, I don't doubt some will stand and fight with you."

A small smile touched the lips of Jīviyannu, a spark of hope lighting her hazel eyes. "You are mad, Kendra."

I grinned. "So I've been told. Just think on what I've said."

She chuckled and began to gather her things. "To ponder the words of a madwoman, that can only lead to trouble."

"I think this city needs a bit of trouble." I said as she knocked on the door.

It opened and she looked back at me. "I hope to see you again someday, Kendra."

I smiled and the door closed behind her, plunging the room into darkness again.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

30.3K 1.1K 38
In a land where mythical creatures roam, Eledorah, a mute faenix -creatures said to be brought into existence by the sun gods- comes of age at eighte...
79.6K 5.9K 45
It all started when Randy was bitten on the ass... On a ski trip with her best friend Randy, Marissa thought things couldn't get any more boring. Lit...
652K 43.1K 49
[Exciting news! This story is now 100% free!] A young sorceress, sworn to protect life at all costs, must choose whether to sacrifice her humanity or...
41.2K 4.4K 93
"The enemy will always cheat, Isla, you need to be prepared for anything." Isla and her siblings have lived in a cave for as long as they can rem...