Avondale: The Golden Door

By AEVanSell

Avondale is an island a world away from us. It's people were once bonded as brothers, but centuries of prejud... More

Prologue
The Castle of Aberdeen
Silver City
Welcome To Avondale
The Eye of Nīrina
Jinī Island
Clan Maretu
The Council
Hattu Makkalu
Nisvārtha Shade
Tale hādu
City of Rivers
Lord Śārk
Miscalculated
Flight
The Drake War
The Shell of Time
The Golden Door
The Tale of Autumn
Grey Rock City
Trouble On The South Road
Warlord Kappu
Tārc Victor
Editing Announcement!
Run, Run, Run, As Fast As You Can
Hunted
The Gods of Avondale
The Hunt
Something Missed
Curious
Storm
Dragon Spine Temple
Secrets
Master Garuda
Fever
The Kiss of Change
Unexpected
Enter The Dragon
Myājik's Day
Sequel!
Editing....again

Doubt

225 12 1
By AEVanSell

Once Kendra and Sanna were out of sight Śarat and Suruli burst into laughter.

What are you laughing at? Nisvārtha snapped at the giggling women, stepping out of the shadows.

They sobered instantly. Nothing. Suruli said as Havala climbed onto Śarat's back. With an amused glance at each other they lept into the sky, leaving Nisvārtha alone.

He shook his head and jumped into the air, spinning and leaping through the currents.

There was so much freedom in flying, Nisvārtha hadn't shifted and flown in a few centuries, it was too dangerous for him. Rather than dwell on the unpleasantries of the past, Nisvārtha looked down to the surface, where his sharp eyes caught the movement of his friend running, and the speck of golden hair on his back that was Kendra McLane.

The girl was insufferable, she constantly denied his authority and persisted in her delusional tale that she was from the human world. Nisvārtha found her stubborn, childish and strange.

Strange enough to make him look again.

The girl was quite beautiful, for a serpent of course. Her beauty was not comparable to Havala but still, golden hair like the sun, with eyes to match. Pale skin and cheeks tinted with the slightest blush, and a slim but curvy form that held a certain grace in each movement.

It was the eyes that drew Nisvārtha in, so peculiar, soft, but filled with a raging fire when she glared at him.

He thought back to what she had said. What if she was right? Could he be wrong?

Nisvārtha snorted at the ridiculous idea, but that only made him remember her words again, clanging like bells.

"You think you're brilliant don't you, Shade? The idea that you could be wrong about me is so far from your bloody mind that you can't see it."

Such a strange accent. He thought to himself. A light brogue that left a lilt on her tongue, making each word rumble and roll like storm clouds.

His curiosity got the better of him, and Nisvārtha opened Tale hādu to the others, but left Kendra out of it.

What do you all think of the young serpent? He asked and felt each mind perk up with interest.

Well, I think she rather dislikes you, old friend. Sanna said in an amused tone.

Nisvārtha groaned, Sanna lived to tease him, and this girl left plenty of ammunition. I did not ask what she thought of me, but what you all think of her.

She has a lot of anger for a serpent. Śarat commented. Even with my limited experience with the species, I always thought them to be fairly calm.

Śarat is right, Havala said. Even the cruelest serpent I have known was never angry like Kendra. The calm, dangerous anger is more common.

Regardless of her temper, Suruli said. She froze your room, covered it with ice. Only serpents can do that.

Nisvārtha nodded. Yes, I remember.

Suruli continued. She is kind, though. Innocent, maybe, and perhaps a bit lost with herself. I have heard what lies in the City of Rivers, and she does not deserve that fate.

Nisvārtha thought for a minute before forcing the words out. Is it possible...that I have made a mistake?

A deep laughter rang in his head. The great Nisvārtha doubting himself? Sanna taunted playfully. I thought I wouldn't live to see this day.

A growl rumbled in Nisvārtha's throat. I am analyzing all possibilities, Briar.

Wow, she really got to you. Havala said, her Tale hādu smug and amused.

Nisvārtha rolled his violet eyes and grunted. Enough, I see none of you are helpful. Then he broke the connection, ignoring the laughs and snickers of his friends.

They flew on toward the speck in the distance that sat before the glittering ocean, awaiting their arrival.

* * * *

Hours later, the sun had begun to set. Touching the waters and setting them aflame with color as the burned sky transitioned from orange and red to purple and black.

The party touched down among the trees and set up camp for the night. They took turns hunting and gathering wood for a fire.

Śarat and Sanna entertained Kendra with games and stories. Kendra found herself smiling despite the uncertainty that awaited her in the City of Rivers. Though none of them dared admit it, all of them were worried about her fate.

In the morning no one spoke much. Everyone was too deep in their own thoughts. Perhaps that is why no one saw them.

Nisvārtha was flying high over the plains, the forest had dissolved a few hours ago, leaving only tall grasses that ranged in soft yellows and pale greens.

Suddenly a scream shattered both the air and the minds of the dragons.

Thought had no priority in Nisvārtha's mind, he dove toward the earth, dropping like a stone as he searched for the blue form of his friend and the golden mane of the girl he carried. The two were surrounded by figures swathed in black. Their faces were masked and their bodies covered in smooth looking material, in their hands they held curved swords and long daggers.

Even though there were only eight men, Nisvārtha knew how well trained the Nīrinian Assassins were and feared that he and his troupe wouldn't win. In his mind Nisvārtha could hear the swears and curses of Havala as she recognized and explained to the others who those men were.

They work for Lord Śārk! She swore, her Tale hādu laced with panic.

Nisvārtha shifted before he hit the ground, knowing the consequences if his form was recognized.

Everyone began to fight.

Only Nisvārtha and Havala remained unshifted, the others used their claws and elements to fight the Assassins. Suruli stayed in the air and manipulated the currents to knock the men off balance. Śarat became a dangerous force of fire, claws and teeth. Havala flipped and spun through the air with kicks and punches to match the Assassin's. Sanna tackled two at once, using claws and teeth against one while roots and vines tripped and grabbed at the other.

Nisvārtha was well trained in hand to hand combat and found his movements mirroring Havala's. Not surprising since he was the one who trained her to fight.

A minute into the battle Nisvārtha caught a flash of gold and looked over to see Kendra fighting with one of the Assassins. Her small size compared to the larger male figure made her look frail and weak.

Nisvārtha watched as she ducked out of his arms and twisted, throwing a punch at his kidneys. The Assassin grunted but was unfazed. He grabbed her by the braid and yanked her off balance, but her small feet stayed steady and she reached up. Using the bigger man's weight against him, she threw the Assassin over her shoulder and onto the ground. He lost his air and his grip on Kendra, her hands were bleeding from shallow cuts, but the fire in her golden eyes betrayed no pain.

Nīrinian Assassins were deadly in the water, but just as deadly on land because of their suits. Made from the skin of sharks, the reinforced boots, pants, and shirt were light but strong. The tiny sharkskin scales were layered like armor and when touched they felt rough and abrasive like sand. Rubbed in the wrong direction, though, and the sharp scales could cut skin. With a hood covering their heads, only their hands were bare. Dragon teeth couldn't cut through the material, but it hardly mattered. Their bones would still break under the pressure.

Kendra wasn't holding up well, and she was getting angry. Her hair had come loose, her hands were covered in scratches and the air was filled with the smell of blood. Her opponent was gaining the upper hand when the tall blades of grass began to wrap around his legs, locking him in place.

Sanna must be helping her, Nisvārtha thought to himself as he kicked his opponent to the ground.

The Assassin grabbed Kendra by the leg and yanked her off her feet, rolling and getting a hand on her neck before standing and holding his blood knife to her throat.

"Stop!" Nisvārtha's voice rang out over the plain and his friends froze in their battles, all eyes on the Assassin with Kendra.

"You are all a long way from home." The Assassin said, his voice filled with false cheeriness. He moved one of his hands and reached into the pack that Kendra wore, the knife still resting on the soft skin of her neck. "You seem to be in charge, Bright Eyes," his eyes met Nisvārtha's as he pulled out a pair of Sanna's pants and tossed them to him. "Why don't you tell us what your business is here?"

Nisvārtha pulled on the pants without a word, watching as the other assassins rounded up his companions and made them shift, having them change into their clothes.

The Assassin's hand twitched slightly and Kendra stiffened, her eyes closed. "If you do not start talking, Bright Eyes," he sneered. "Then I may have to get this pretty fledgling to tell me." He pulled Kendra's hair away from her neck and ran his tongue up to her ear. "Judging from earlier, I would bet she likes to scream." A growl slid between Kendra's teeth and her eyes flashed open, locking with Nisvārtha's.

The Assassin chuckled. "She sure is feisty," a sick grin covered his face. "I like that."

Nisvārtha crossed his arms over his bare chest. "Let her go. We mean no harm. She ran from home and we came to bring her back to her family, then leave. That is all."

"Hmm." The Assassin shared a look with his partners. "Well then you will not mind an escort to Lord Śārk, will you?"

Nisvārtha scowled at him.

A raised eyebrow. "Unless you intend to cause trouble, then I am afraid things will get...uncomfortable."

Nisvārtha caught the look of fear in Kendra's eyes and sighed. "We will come willingly, but no one gets hurt."

A grin. "You have my word."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

269 26 17
"You're a Shifter." This caught me off-guard. A Shifter? I had heard of them, thieves and criminals that are able to shift to the Other Realm using s...
30.1K 1.1K 38
In a land where mythical creatures roam, Eledorah, a mute faenix -creatures said to be brought into existence by the sun gods- comes of age at eighte...
313 54 30
I lived in the grand city of Torino. We survived the Second World War, tyranny and gain freedom to rebuild a glorious town. My family was at the cen...
79.5K 5.9K 45
It all started when Randy was bitten on the ass... On a ski trip with her best friend Randy, Marissa thought things couldn't get any more boring. Lit...